Help are frogs good for a cave run ??

Pufferfish083

51 minutes ago, Pufferfish083 said:

I am starting to do cave runs, and want to take something different then a saber and wolf, was thinking a frog (one of my favourite) but out for ideas of other Dino's and if anyone knows if a frogs a good idea let me know thank you 

People use frogs to do the hard swamp cave on the island . That's probanly the hardest cave. A high level tame frog is pretty strong . Should have no problem with any island cave except the hard ice cave . Can even do the underwater ones .

32 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

People use frogs to do the hard swamp cave on the island . That's probanly the hardest cave. A high level tame frog is pretty strong . Should have no problem with any island cave except the hard ice cave . Can even do the underwater ones .

Okay I on the center map sorry I should of said that lol, I keep hoping that raptor clause will bring me a frog ascendant saddle lol but no luck yet lol, thank you SmokeyB 

Barry's are probably my favourite dinos for cave runs, they're definitely the best for the swamp cave because of the arthros which can wreck your gear on a frog, not a problem in the other caves they spawn in though as you don't have to worry about the poison gas, megatheriums are beasts in the swamp cave but you need a cryopod to get them in and also past a couple of obstructions in there

Dead island cave I like to use a thyla, just makes the run faster as you can climb back up without having to follow the path around the edge, also good in the south east cave but you need a cryopod to get it in and out, it's an easy cave with any small creature but thyla is faster for getting out, never tried a frog in there and the one doubt I'd have is jumping over to the artifact, frog's jump is fairly high and I just don't trust the lack of physics and the ceiling height, can see it going horribly wrong and landing in the lava ? might be something to test in creative though

Central, upper & lower south should all be ok on a frog, only issue might be megalosaurus but I've only seen 1 in the lower south and 0 in the central cave over the last few months so they're pretty rare

West water cave should be easy on a frog, sod the east one though ? (hate that place) skylord is easy on foot and wouldn't go anywhere near the ice cave on one

edit: posted seconds after you said you were on the centre ?

11 hours ago, Pufferfish083 said:

I am starting to do cave runs, and want to take something different then a saber and wolf, was thinking a frog (one of my favourite) but out for ideas of other Dino's and if anyone knows if a frogs a good idea let me know thank you 

Decent frogs that have been bred and imprinted can be awesome in certain caves...especially the Island swamp cave. With a good saddle they take very little damage. Keep a dimo on your shoulder and a decent shotgun or compound bow with you. If you see an arthro, plug it from a distance while still mounted. 

They aren't particularly great in many of the other caves unless your goal is to pump in a bit of movement speed and cruise through and kite dinos away from the cave drops to grab them. I wouldn't recommend them in most caves that have dinos that can dismount you. They're bad at protecting you, and if they're on neutral/attack-target they can be near impossible to get back on unless you whistle them to passive.

As others have said, Barys are pretty good, as are a few others smaller dinos that hit hard.

17 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Decent frogs that have been bred and imprinted can be awesome in certain caves...especially the Island swamp cave. With a good saddle they take very little damage. Keep a dimo on your shoulder and a decent shotgun or compound bow with you. If you see an arthro, plug it from a distance while still mounted. 

They aren't particularly great in many of the other caves unless your goal is to pump in a bit of movement speed and cruise through and kite dinos away from the cave drops to grab them. I wouldn't recommend them in most caves that have dinos that can dismount you. They're bad at protecting you, and if they're on neutral/attack-target they can be near impossible to get back on unless you whistle them to passive.

As others have said, Barys are pretty good, as are a few others smaller dinos that hit hard.

Nice thank you so much been a big help 

On 12/28/2018 at 12:48 PM, RageQuitter said:

Barry's are probably my favourite dinos for cave runs, they're definitely the best for the swamp cave because of the arthros which can wreck your gear on a frog, not a problem in the other caves they spawn in though as you don't have to worry about the poison gas, megatheriums are beasts in the swamp cave but you need a cryopod to get them in and also past a couple of obstructions in there

Dead island cave I like to use a thyla, just makes the run faster as you can climb back up without having to follow the path around the edge, also good in the south east cave but you need a cryopod to get it in and out, it's an easy cave with any small creature but thyla is faster for getting out, never tried a frog in there and the one doubt I'd have is jumping over to the artifact, frog's jump is fairly high and I just don't trust the lack of physics and the ceiling height, can see it going horribly wrong and landing in the lava ? might be something to test in creative though

Central, upper & lower south should all be ok on a frog, only issue might be megalosaurus but I've only seen 1 in the lower south and 0 in the central cave over the last few months so they're pretty rare

West water cave should be easy on a frog, sod the east one though ? (hate that place) skylord is easy on foot and wouldn't go anywhere near the ice cave on one

edit: posted seconds after you said you were on the centre ?

Thank you again yep I have a good look now lol, didn't know there was so many caves lol

Archived