Why can't argies pick up baby argies?

girlygirlgamer322

It's a fair point, but I have a suspicion that flyers aren't allowed to pick up other flyers because it might complicate the game mechanics for aerial combat.  Don't quote me on that though, it's just a guess.  No idea why players can't pick them up, but I imagine it's just that only certain creatures are considered for the coding necessary for us to pick one up (small/tiny creatures).  I'm sure it could be done, but it's probably not anywhere near a priority... although it couldn't hurt to suggest it.

Also things could get a little weird when you go to put the young flyer down on the ground again.  Currently one quirk of flyer AI is that if the flyer is forced into the air (for instance if you led it to a body of water and it was forced to take off) the youngster will refuse to land in most cases until it either becomes an adult or the server is rebooted.  A rare event so it's no huge problem, but if picking up young flyers was possible it might make putting them down a bit of an issue... requiring even more code changes than would be apparent at first glance.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Also things could get a little weird when you go to put the young flyer down on the ground again.  Currently one quirk of flyer AI is that if the flyer is forced into the air (for instance if you led it to a body of water and it was forced to take off) the youngster will refuse to land in most cases until it either becomes an adult or the server is rebooted.  A rare event so it's no huge problem, but if picking up young flyers was possible it might make putting them down a bit of an issue... requiring even more code changes than would be apparent at first glance.

I haven't tested that feature yet, but I believe it was fixed in last patch by allowing you to force unrideable flying creatures to land. :)

On 11/30/2018 at 12:02 AM, Jen said:

v288.113

Flyers 

• Added Whistle Land Flyer command
    • Commands a flyer to land nearby

3 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

I haven't tested that feature yet, but I believe it was fixed in last patch by allowing you to force unrideable flying creatures to land. :)

Not on console though as the command is still missing from the wheel, however whips have been my go to option for forcing flyers to land.

On 12/27/2018 at 7:01 AM, MackTheKnife said:

Back to topic, I already hatched them in an AC room. So where do I grow them up? My base is a 7x7 but a regular Dino gate can let them out, right? Where should I keep them? Because at adult stage they wouldn’t be able to leave. Should I keep them outside in a behemoth-gated area? 

let them outside as soon as they are juvenile. when they are fully grown up they cant fit through a stone gate. before they grow up to juvenile let them inside.

On 12/27/2018 at 6:00 PM, girlygirlgamer322 said:

But, There's still no reason for argies to not be able to carry baby argies. It's a simple QOL feature that needs to be implemented.

No, it doesn't need to be implemented. Use Cryopods like everyone else, or better yet, raise creatures where you want them. It isn't brain science or rocket surgery. If you are too lazy to do either, just raise it where it is and fly it back later. 

On 1/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, Qwertymine said:

No, it doesn't need to be implemented. Use Cryopods like everyone else, or better yet, raise creatures where you want them. It isn't brain science or rocket surgery. If you are too lazy to do either, just raise it where it is and fly it back later. 

Go back and reread my third post.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:18 AM, Melcreif said:

There are clearly so many workarounds that I can't imagine WC would consider completely rewriting the code to make this happen.  But if that doesn't work for you, you can always post this as a game suggestion in that forum.

That's the problem with this game, we have to deal with poopty workarounds because wildcard won't implement any actual solutions. Getting meshed? Don't build on  a slope. Frustrating building sytem? Rely on third party developers to create mods. Game lags again? Restart ark. Pick up a dinosaur to move it? Go find and tame an argentavis.

It seems like so many people have gotten complacent and their expectations lowered to such sad levels due to how poor of a game ark really is. The expectations are actually so low, people were ecstatic that wildcard now let's us pick up items 30 seconds after placing-an issue that should have been implemented within 6 months of the game being released on steam. I could go on. It's sad because ark is a real fun game and it could have been a truly amazing one had competent devs worked on it instead. Oh well, I guess some people are just satisfied with utter mediocrity.

Archived