Newbie starting my first breeding-line

Ikatsukun

Hello I have been playing for a while now, since I bought this game on steam at a sale a couple months back. 

I also played a while on ps4 last year but this time around want to play for a longer period

So I'm aiming at breeding for some mutations. I have done some research on the mechanics and how it works. 

It seems pretty understandable how mutations work and how it's limited to 20 mutations from both mothers and fathers. 

However it gets hard for me to understand how I can continue mutating above 20 since I have heard that you can do that. 

So far I have read alot and gotten tips about what to do and what to think about so that I don't breed myself into a a corner and I can't continue mutating on my breeding line. 

I have heard that once I have tamed a good father and mother, I should breed a son and daughter without any mutations but with the right stats and use those two kids for starting the breedline. I'm not sure why and why I can't start mutating on the father and mother right away.. And I have also heard from a friend I can't get any mutations unless it's inbreeding. 

I would love to hear from someone experienced with breeding for mutations for a long time. 

Any tips and guidelines to give me a great head start on breeding for mutations. 

You could just get a pair of rexes and chuck them together and just mutate from that but ideally you need to breed a decent number of rexes to get some decent stats. Then you should breed them until you have the best stats from all your rexes into one pair of rexes these should have no mutations and will give you a clean decent base line to start from. What I do from there is breed until I get a mutation I want I.e. health or melee and breed it to a number of clean base females and so on this way you keep all mutations to one side and it wil allow you to mutate indefinitely. If you get a female with a mutation just breed it to a clean male until you get a male with the stats. Inbreeding makes zero difference on your mutation chance.

Step 1: Get a male with all the best stats;
Step 2: Breed the male with as many unmutated females as you can;
Step 3: Kill all the unmutated babies and cook the prime meat for the baby that remains (if one remains);
Step 4: Raise the baby that got a mutation in the proper stat to adulthood;
Step 5: If it's a male, gratz! Mate it with the same females and repeat the process. If it's a female, breed it with an unmutated male (probably the one from step 1) until you get a male with the mutated stat and proceed from step 2.

Tip: If you're looking for mutations in more than one stat (say.. health and damage) then you're best off doing two lines. One for just melee mutations and one for health. Then when you get to the point where you don't want to go on anymore you can join them into one dino like in step 1 above. This makes sure you have as low a mutation count as possible which keeps your (low) chances of mutation slightly less low than if one were maxed out.

Inbreeding causing mutations is just untrue, otherwise you'd never get mutations from wild caught dinos. "Incest for the win-cest" is just a saying.

The reason you want to breed the baseline dinos (sibling pair) is because you want to get the best stats from multiple parents to start. Grabbing male dino A and female dino B and starting the breed line with them will get you minimal stats. I just started a Sarco line with 1 wild caught male and 3 wild caught females (I want to add moar!). Breed the male with female SarcoA until you get a dino with the highest stats from each parent merged in one male. Breed that male with female SarcoB until you get all the highest stats from each parent in that pair merged into one male. Then breed the A+B male with female SarcoC until you get all the best stats from both parents. At this point keep going, or start your breeding pair which will now have all the bast stats from A+B+C.

My buddy has bred a line of Argents with at least a dozen starter wild caught birds combining his baseline stats into a monster of a bird (or a monster baseline breeding pair of birds actually).

The one thing that nobody ever seems to discuss is the level disparity that multiple generations of mutants will create to the "pure" breeding parent. It's unavoidable (+40 levels at 20/20 mutations) as far as I can tell, and you just have to keep throwing eggs until you get what you need. The best way to overcome this is to breed one male to multiple females. Going this route, you'll want to breed those mutations into the Patrilineal line and keep a stock of "clean" (0/0 mutation) females from the A+B+C breed.

Something usefull for starting lines is the Magnifying glass.

You could fly around looking for the highest health dino you can find and tame that. We did this for racers on 6 man and it helped a lot. Instead of knocking out every high level racer I flew around the desert looking for a 7k plus one since I knew on Ab a 7k could get 10k after tame.

Melee and the rest you have to ko dinos but getting the highest health possible early is def a good stat to have.

• Volunteer Moderator
2 minutes ago, BlueberryJackal said:

you CAN get more than twenty mutations, but they wont have any effect

You can have more than 20 mutations that are legit. As long as one parent has lower than 20 markers, you can still mutate the stats of the other regardless of how many markers it have.

Archived