aberration the hardest to start up on

hp1onlock

Portal is to be avoided since It's a known spawn for raptor packs as well as basilisks. Besides, it has absolutely zero water in its vicinity forcing you to rely on shrooms only.

Fertile Lake on the other hand is the best spawn for someone who never played Aberration as it close to most of the ressources of the map. You have an easy access to a surface entrance filled with metal nodes and keratine. However, ravagers, raptors and running rampant here since it's the green zone. I'll also add that this is the place to go if you plan on doing regular transfers in-out of the server (if you don't have the transmitter) as there are as many as 6-7 drop spawns near by easily accessible.

If you are more experienced, the Edge can be a successful location as it is next to the bio-luminesent (blue zone) but also right next to a chasm in the radiation zone leading up to our precious rock drake eggs. Beware, this is a very dangerous zone as it contains dinos from both the green and blue zones: ravagers, raptors, carnos, megas, rock drakes to name a few...

Good luck in your adventures!
Regards.

• 4 weeks later...

I would actually suggest that you start at the Portal, but only as a spawn point - follow the "tunnel" till it ends, and then drop down and build there. You get basilisks/raptors/ravagers in the Fertile Lake, too, but at least if you spawn near the portal, you're more centrally located on the map - useful as you progress for getting to the blue/red zones more quickly. My first base was in the Fertile Lake area and it took AGES to get my dinos down to the blue zone to do a trench run. 

• 2 weeks later...

More than any other map AB is the map where you really don't want to be running around all willy nilly without a dino. If I was starting fresh on AB I would build by fertile lake, set up some traps and start working basic tames(trike/stego for berries, carno/raptor for meat and transport) after that take advantage of the fertile lake and tame a spino.  They are a pain at lower levels and take forever but with a decent spino you can explore the green and blue zone with little risk. once you have your spino you can roam around and find a good place to set up your base.

On 12/24/2018 at 8:32 AM, Darkholis said:

Portal is to be avoided since It's a known spawn for raptor packs as well as basilisks. Besides, it has absolutely zero water in its vicinity forcing you to rely on shrooms only.

Fertile Lake on the other hand is the best spawn for someone who never played Aberration as it close to most of the ressources of the map. You have an easy access to a surface entrance filled with metal nodes and keratine. However, ravagers, raptors and running rampant here since it's the green zone. I'll also add that this is the place to go if you plan on doing regular transfers in-out of the server (if you don't have the transmitter) as there are as many as 6-7 drop spawns near by easily accessible.

If you are more experienced, the Edge can be a successful location as it is next to the bio-luminesent (blue zone) but also right next to a chasm in the radiation zone leading up to our precious rock drake eggs. Beware, this is a very dangerous zone as it contains dinos from both the green and blue zones: ravagers, raptors, carnos, megas, rock drakes to name a few...

Good luck in your adventures!
Regards.

The "EASY" Portal Zone is a freakin lie.  Yeah, real easy until you hear the chittering sound and are devoured a few seconds later by a wild Basilisk.  Easy, my butt.

But @OP, yeah it can be tough to start on Ab because being limited to ground mounts, most of which are small and Raptor-able...  Which can be fun.

I recommend starting on an easier map like island, center, rag at least until you get yourself a base minimum set of gear/tools (flask/waterjar, full armor chitlin or up, and dino tame (carno,spino, bear, something that does decent damage and has moderate hp 5kish don't forget it needs to be native to ab not all dinos will transfer). I would then transfer in with full water and some food if you can. If your lucky and spawn in a safe spot on fertile lake or even edge 2 can sometimes work immediately build yourself a small base with beds. No matter what you do you will die eventually the ravs are in packs of up to 4 and slow you and rend your dino so chances are high you will at some point hit a pack that your starter dino can't survive and being able to spawn in the location you are playing is key to getting back to your gear. The recommendations above of knowing people on the server you are going to is ideal its a very frustrating crawl at first but I find this map to be truely a survival map man against nature you have to be smart and prepared on the map. GL

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a base on the river that goes up against the north wall 

WYzwiIw.png

Z seeds are red dots, black dots are cave entrances.

Base is red arrow. Z plant right nearby for easy seed/healing.

Path up the hill for blue arrow goes to a cave entrance, need ziplines/ravagers, or hooks, or build a ramp.

That cave has tons of metal and seemed pretty quiet. Take ravagers for safety/pack mules.

Follow through the woods of yellow arrows to go to the Edge area to go into bio lum. 

Around the base on the river the only danger is an occasional raptor. I found a hill that you have to jump up that keeps the raptors out too. only thing that's walked up to my house is a diplo.

Ravagers are needed to get back up with goods though. 

Or don't build on that hill if you want to have more room and store big dino.

As for survival, If you are on primitive plus, ask someone to give you some Yurt's! Then Ravagers are trivial to tame if you can get one isolated and stuck in a yurt. 

For Evolved, use the bolas. Getting a Spino is my fav so far as I can then Yurt the Ravager from it then kill the rest.

On 5/1/2019 at 2:32 AM, TempestoftheArk said:

I adore abb for its challenges, I honestly was beyond disappointing that they went from a map as creative as that one to extinction.

Honestly I agree with you. Aberration is probably one of the most fun & challenging maps i've played, extinction was just too big and to annoying for me

Guest EnergyDrink

Thats one of the reasons to love aberation, that even an experienced player will have a challenge to explore the map :)

If you come from other map, you need to bring hazmat suits.. some mount that can jump/climb...preferably a light pet :)
maybe even cryopods.. :)

i started on Aberation with nothing :) was the best challenge to start base, and tame everything :)

Small update on my recommended base location. I said I built on the hill on the river, well I noticed that up the hill to the cliff edge right above the water has a passage wal that runs parallel to the river. 

If you went up the hill towards the forest to bio lum, you hit a cross roads with straight going to bio lum, right a sort of dead end (to a natural zipline going up more) and left is a passage that comes right back out at the same river near waterfall. 

I moved my base up into that passage, so I can gate off both sides giving plenty of room for dinos. 

This is such a safe area to begin with, as the most i've seen is an occasional rare raptor... 

But there is plenty of stone, trees and green crystal rocks right outside the gate at the crossroads. Easy access to bio lum, to metal (go out the side near the waterfall, cross river, up the hill until you get to the surface cave entrance)

Can run water pipes straight up from river up the side of the cliff to the base with ease. I will try to get a screenshot tonight :)

Another alternative is to go straight at crossroads a bit more until you hit the T where left goes to the cliff edge, you could build a base with only needing 1 wall there, however youd have to fall off and walk back around to get back into your base and a much wider opening meaning even more walls to block the entrance.

honestly, I don't believe any area in the greenzone is safe, was going all through it and was running into basilisk everywhere, was literally over populated with them, even at the lake.  I donno if its a spawn problem or not but man, never seen so many.

Aberration is a hard start for a new character, be prepared to die a lot, my suggestion would be get to crafting yourself some sleeping bags as soon as possible then a couple beds, so when you do die, you can spawn somewhere nearby that isn't random to attempt to retrieve you gear.

Archived