Atlas supposed to be ARK DLC

earthwarder

I think since I paid for the season pass, I should get Atlas free. Since its supposed to be a DLC for ark anyway, you raptorin scammers.

*Officially done with Wildcard forever, just canceled my ark servers. Refunded Atlas on steam. I will make it my personal duty to post about this all over reddit. raptor you guys. 

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

Regardless if its a reskin or not, Atlas is not prommised in the Season Pass contents. 

so you see nothing wrong with the fact that the season pass includes the dlcs released for that game in the season, and even tho it utilizes the same assets and was probably planned for ark originally, but they just renamed it and re skinned it to make it another game for $.

Either way tho, this pathetic release reflects the incompetence of the developers all too well. Have they not learned from their mistakes yet? How is it they are delayed and delayed and choose to wait til after the release date time to say hey, its gonna be delayed, again. Like thats crazy to me. No one does that besides wildcard, how do they not learn? And It INSTANTLY made them a meme on reddit - good raptoring job. 

im not demanding anything, I dont want to play atlas. My friends that played on my servers and I have all collectively decided we're done - done with this company and all of its siblings. I have successfully refunded already. Plenty of new games coming in 2019 and we are ready to put ark and wildcard devs far behind us. 

6 minutes ago, earthwarder said:

im not demanding anything, I dont want to play atlas. My friends that played on my servers and I have all collectively decided we're done - done with this company and all of its siblings. I have successfully refunded already. Plenty of new games coming in 2019 and we are ready to put ark and wildcard devs far behind us. 

So if your not wanting to play atlas why are you complaing abiut it not being included in the season pass and why did you buy it in the first place ?

Yes, Grapeshot is a sister company to Wildcard. 

Yes, some of the ARK development team is now working at Grapeshot. 

Yes, because they are sister companies various assets and some underlying code from ARK can be found in Atlas, just as they can be found in Dark and Light and other products put out under the same umbrella.

Yes, the holiday's are generally considered to be a good time to release new products.

These details are cleverly hidden in the various press releases concerning Atlas, starting with the announcement on these very forums.  

I'm not sure why you think a full blown Pirate themed MMO, designed to have about 40k players per server, should be a DLC for ARK.  They aren't even the same genre.  Your complaint quite literally (and I use that word in the classic sense) makes absolutely no sense.  It's like saying Dark and Light, or PixARK should be considered ARK DLC despite the fact that such a thing would be technologically impossible.

It is likely true that some aspects of ATLAS were tested in a dev build of ARK, which would explain why rooting around in the files and menus of ATLAS you will find some references and menus (including the DLC menu) from ARK.  That's one of the perks for developing a sister game to a particular franchise, you don't have to reinvent the wheel for every little thing and it simplifies development immensely.

For that matter, even if ARK does come out with any further paid DLC it would be a completely separate purchase from the existing season pass.  The number of DLC's advertised to be included in the season pass were very clearly defined, and those have all been released.  Atlas was not among them.

So many negative reviews on steam are basically ppl repeating stuff they saw some famous streamer say. Most of the streamers dont even have the basic understanding of the survival game genre or patience to learn it. Mob effect at its worst. Coming from ark background I knew what to expect and i had full faith that the game will quite playable after a short time after the initial launch day problems became known. I was right. The game has so good feel to it and the atmosphere is amazing. 

I have read about the claiming system and some other problems so I know there needs to be balancing done.

a problem that comes to mind is. 

The game or its sales would not benefit is one player company (tribe) can own half of the map with their claims. No one would want nor could play the game then. Im not sure if thats even possible. 

Im very happy I bought the game at its sale price. Its a bargain. Even tho Rust development team has more finesse in their game mechanics and listening to the customers etc. they are on a new level of slow. Its quite amazing how fast this Atlas game was put together. 

On 12/26/2018 at 1:53 AM, Ranger1 said:

It should be interesting to see how things develop now that the main members of WC's development team are directly involved via this new sister company.  Sharing assets via their arrangement with Snail Games is one thing, half of the same dev team working on a related project is another.  Not that sharing assets was bad, it's actually a huge time saver and it's no secret that a lot of ATLAS was developed in a version of ARK.  When you have a stupidly successful game under your belt why wouldn't you leverage the work already done.

Interest in ATLAS seems pretty high.  Yesterday and today when I have checked ARK was holding steady in the #11 spot on STEAMS Top 10 games by active players list, and ATLAS was VERY close behind at #12.  I'll admit I'm not sure how things will turn out with the MMO route that ATLAS seems to be following, but I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye on it.

I can see why you're so valiantly defending them considering you're a moderator on the forums, so I will take most of this with a grain of salt.

Rumors of Wild Card producing an Ocean DLC that was largely water, ruins, ships etc. has been floating around since just before Scorched Earth released.

You know, it's funny... all of the Triple A game companies and developers are failing because of asset reusing, corner cutting, and pumping out titles to make the most money possible to keep shareholders and investors going. Markets are crashing, as is Wild Card's overall value. That's a bit beside the point, though. It's not just that the game quite literally re-uses everything... it's the fact that the Trailers released by them told a totally different story from what the community actually received. On top of the several delays from the game launch.

Wild Card has never been known for their transparency, not even their CM's (Jenn, Jatt) have been known for that. PR on Wild Card is already in the gutter, buried and dead... thus why they went on to create "Grapeshot Games", which is just Wild Card with a new name.

But don't take it from me, I'm just one person. Then again, there are lots of other "one persons" out there getting a massive influx of views about Atlas' total failure, total bait-and-switch and the blatant scam they did by selling a DLC as a full game.

I'm not in disagreement that Ark was a wildly successful game, but even that was marred by the complete lack of transparency and urgency to fix the game by Wild Card. Ark has become kind of a joke at this point.

Summary: Ark is going downhill fast. ATLAS is a complete and utter flop, rip-off, and bait & switch.

Wild Card's main team formed a new "Sister Company" to attempt to get past the horrible PR Wild Card has on it's name. I can almost guarantee that this is true.

Guest EnergyDrink

About Atlas:
try googling "Streamer discovers hidden menu in Atlas taken straight from Ark"

And you will see that Atlas is just a reskinned DLC of ARK which would have been named "ocean", but they decided to cash in.. so ye.

It has the same meniu, same GUI, has the same engine, ingame interface details...

Atlas = ark +more sea + bigger ships + "pirate" looking text font

About official wipe:
no point in wipe, because everything will be back to the same tracks in couple months.

12 hours ago, Orion said:

Rumors of Wild Card producing an Ocean DLC that was largely water, ruins, ships etc. has been floating around since just before Scorched Earth released.

There were occasional rumors of an ocean DLC, mostly because it was frequently requested.  That's a far cry from the insinuation that WC announced they were going to do an Ocean/Pirate DLC for ARK and then changed their minds.

Then again, there are lots of other "one persons" out there getting a massive influx of views about Atlas' total failure, total bait-and-switch and the blatant scam they did by selling a DLC as a full game.

I'm well aware, I've spoken with some of them.  I've also spoken with a lot of content creators that are having quite a bit of fun with ATLAS.  I do find the amusing claim that ATLAS is no more than a DLC sold as a full game, when the scope of ATLAS is far beyond what any previous DLC for ARK has been... or for that matter is beyond the scale of ARK itself.  Doesn't make much sense when you spend more than a few seconds thinking about it.  

On top of the several delays from the game launch.

Game launch?  ATLAS hasn't launched, this is just the release of its Early Access phase.  Game launch is likely quite a ways further along the development timeline.  You are quite correct in that this team can't hit a deadline to save their lives.

10 hours ago, EnergyDrink said:

try googling "Streamer discovers hidden menu in Atlas taken straight from Ark"

And you will see that Atlas is just a reskinned DLC of ARK which would have been named "ocean", but they decided to cash in.. so ye.

Yes my friend, that's what everyone has been discussing for the last several days.  It's not a secret that ATLAS was developed in large part in a developers version of ARK and share many of ARKs underlying mechanics (as well as menu structure, art style, etc.).  It was sloppy not to hide those menus and such a bit better in the early access release, but it's certainly not the big reveal that people seem to think it is.  It appears to simply be the interface for the ARK development build they were using when working on ATLAS components.

I can see why you're so valiantly defending them considering you're a moderator on the forums, so I will take most of this with a grain of salt.

Why on earth would I stop criticizing WildCard now?  I'll continue to happily point out (hopefully in a constructive way) when WC takes a wrong turn in my opinion, just as I point out when they do something clever or unexpected.  I simply prefer not to let my feelings be my facts... and angry, ill informed mobs just really aren't my style.

On 12/23/2018 at 3:27 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

A sister company using the same features from another game? Blasphemy.

I guess we should boycott all sequels of games that do the same.

You would be right in being sarcastic IF it weren't for the fact that the thing actually IS just a reskin using the same engine as well as the same exact assets save for what new ones have been added. I agree with what this guy says, regardless of whether or not if it's an official DLC listed as part of the season pass, there is enough evidence to, at the very least, bring it into the range of being a more standalone DLC for Ark. You're basically paying for the privilege to play a somewhat altered version of the game with different content. This isn't, say, like paying for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas separately, as there is enough content differentiation to solidify eachother as their own games entirely, I would argue it's more like paying 60$ for Far Cry 3 and THEN paying 60$ for Far Cry Blood Dragon. The only thing that makes Atlas anymore or less of a game than ARK is the map size and a handful of the creatures and assets that are ACTUALLY new. And may I add mechanics that function very much almost EXACTLY the same. Not just in the survival genre sense, but in the sense of how said mechanics are put into action.

7 hours ago, Bull1128 said:

You would be right in being sarcastic IF it weren't for the fact that the thing actually IS just a reskin using the same engine as well as the same exact assets save for what new ones have been added. I agree with what this guy says, regardless of whether or not if it's an official DLC listed as part of the season pass, there is enough evidence to, at the very least, bring it into the range of being a more standalone DLC for Ark. You're basically paying for the privilege to play a somewhat altered version of the game with different content. This isn't, say, like paying for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas separately, as there is enough content differentiation to solidify eachother as their own games entirely, I would argue it's more like paying 60$ for Far Cry 3 and THEN paying 60$ for Far Cry Blood Dragon. The only thing that makes Atlas anymore or less of a game than ARK is the map size and a handful of the creatures and assets that are ACTUALLY new. And may I add mechanics that function very much almost EXACTLY the same. Not just in the survival genre sense, but in the sense of how said mechanics are put into action.

Oh, you mean like how Battlefield V wasn't priced as or considered a separate game from Battlefield 1... even though it's just a reskin in a different time period with a few basic mechanics and game modes expanded upon and very little that is actually new in the more recent release.

Oh wait...

1 minute ago, Ranger1 said:

Oh, you mean like how Battlefield V wasn't priced as or considered a separate game from Battlefield 1... even though it's just a reskin in a different time period with just a few basic mechanics and game modes expanded upon and very little that is actually new in the more recent release.

Oh wait...

This is precisely my point. You could go as far as saying the Elder Scrolls Skyrim is just a reskin of Oblivion which is just a reskin of Morrowind. Those games haven’t changed that much but you don’t see people using it as a comparison, so they act like Wildcard/Grapeshot are the first ever developers to do this. The Assassin’s Creed franchise is probably an even better comparison, brilliant stories, but pretty much the same game throughout until you get to Origins and now Odyssey.

• Volunteer Moderator
7 hours ago, Bull1128 said:

I bought Unreal (the game) in the early 2000s, does that means I'm entitled to every games running on its engine?

Anyways, @Teach made a very nice post on playatlas.com that explains it very well:

On 12/23/2018 at 10:19 PM, Teach said:

I see this argument worded tirelessly in a multitude of ways, and frankly the perception of how things came to be and what it is to this new wave of "privileged" gamer has gotten me sicker than the seas waves.

The reason you are a consumer is because you are not a developer. You honestly don't know your rears from yarr faces when it comes to what Atlas is, and what Ark was.

Ark (Let's call it Vanilla Ark) is not only game, it's a tool-set that took years of developing by Wildcard to re-utilize. All of the code in ARK has value. It is a framework they have constructed that they are using for Atlas (I would appropriate to being a "fork" of Ark 2.0).

Why is there a "hidden" Ark menu and Single Player? Well, Vanilla Ark had those features, so would the framework if they were directly porting ARK's valuable code to a new engine, rather than start from scratch. Why abandon years of work to start from scratch again?

In all the hubbub and commotion, the hype that revolved around the "launch" of Atlas; was lost the notion that this is an early access title that is years away from being a complete product (if it ever gets there, but that is irrelevant). Your $25 gets you in on the very beginning development track of the game. This is an ALPHA. The stuff being mined is just unused components of the Ark framework. Eventually those files get removed over time.

It's very hard to break down the entire development process of an application in one forum post (and this is already getting too lengthy for the average consumer of this game)- but it's foolish to believe that with every new milestone version of a program, that code is not reused. Code is reused everywhere, in every facet of application development. Those things called code libraries? ARK is just one big code library to Wildcard. Windows has used the same code libraries for decades, as has Apple with any flavor of their iOS Software. It's funny, they keep selling you the same stupid phone and software year after year, but you'll keep buying it as they raise the price. Oh what's that? Apple stocks are down 40%.

The people at Forbes are consumers. They are not developers, and just as uninformed as the rest; clawing at bits and pieces of information they don't understand because they need to push articles. I find it truly unfair to Wildcard, and sympathize with the position they've been forced into. People can twist and corrupt good intention all they want.

ARK's boat physics weren't just horrendous, they were a physical limitation of the Engine at that time.

I'm really just going to expand on this later and make it it's own post, but the silver lining to all of this is these guys as Grapeshot/Wildcard went early to the public with ARK's framework running on a newer version of the Unreal Engine that boasts features they could implement into a game of their own- due to the nature of the undertaking. That is what you paid for; anything that is built on top of that from here til the end of the games development cycle (DLC aside) is basically FREE. Maybe ARK was supposed to have more boat-related stuff, and due to the limitations, simply couldn't explore those options. 

It's so ironic...people scream for developers to have transparency, to communicate and involve communities in the development of the game so everyone can have the game turn out to be the one they wanted, or at least close. What did we do with that opportunity? We shit on it. Excuse my french, but the term is warranted. This release was the DEFINITION of transparency. It slapped you all in the face of your expectations, and you did not even realize it.

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

-Teach

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 3:27 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

A sister company using the same features from another game? Blasphemy.

I guess we should boycott all sequels of games that do the same.

So Atlas is supposed to be the sequel to Ark now? Typically you finish one poop before pushing another stillborn out the door

On 12/29/2018 at 12:24 AM, invincibleqc said:

I bought Unreal (the game) in the early 2000s, does that means I'm entitled to every games running on its engine?

Anyways, @Teach made a very nice post on playatlas.com that explains it very well:

It's not a beginning track if you reskin an existing game, pour in a bunch of water, and barely tweak the mechanics. Also, it's no earlier in "development" than Ark is as a "ready-for-release" "finished product". They tried to use Ark as a yoshi to get up a level and missed the raptoring platform entirely.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:21 AM, SaltyMonkey said:

This is precisely my point. You could go as far as saying the Elder Scrolls Skyrim is just a reskin of Oblivion which is just a reskin of Morrowind. Those games haven’t changed that much but you don’t see people using it as a comparison, so they act like Wildcard/Grapeshot are the first ever developers to do this. The Assassin’s Creed franchise is probably an even better comparison, brilliant stories, but pretty much the same game throughout until you get to Origins and now Odyssey.

*raises hand* that too was noticed and now Bethesda is receiving a lot of negative attention for it.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:08 AM, Ranger1 said:

Oh, you mean like how Battlefield V wasn't priced as or considered a separate game from Battlefield 1... even though it's just a reskin in a different time period with a few basic mechanics and game modes expanded upon and very little that is actually new in the more recent release.

Oh wait...

*leaves hand up* again, people noticed that and trashed them for it...

Archived