Need snow cave advice

CrouchPotatoes

Hello everyone,

I’m on a small PVE unofficial server with a few friends and was wondering whether 3 of us on 3 imprinted dire wolves (around 7k health and 500% melee) would be enough to clear the snow cave. We’re lvl 80, have 4k armour, and ascendant swords, longnecks and shotguns but I’m assuming that we’d stay on our mounts for most of the cave (I’ve never run it before so correct me if I’m wrong). Also, how long is the cave, is it easy to get lost, and would it be worth it taming a strong dimorph swarm? I’d love to hear any tips and tricks as well as what to bring and watch out for. 

Thanks

Need more health on wolves, I think.  It is a long cave run, but has some rest stops.  It is easy to get lost in and if you get knocked into the water your health will drain fast.  I think ascendant sword and pump shot gun will be best bet.  Carry pick because you have to go through 2 crystal nodes.  Fill wolves up on raw meat before going in to force feed for health regen.  Bug balm may help some keeping bats away.

I run the snow cave on single player easy with a 75% imprinted dire wolf with 5.6k health and 600% dmg. Granted I literally run on the way out with the artifact, he doesn’t have the health to fight his way out as if it takes a while the cave creatures respawn behind you. Learned that the hard way there first time!

I hear you can tame the wolves in there. I was hoping to give that a go before going all in. I’ve done volcano, southern, and swamp caves. No problem. I avoid the lava cave as I hate the lava. The creatures in there are no problem. Whenever I’ve tried to run the lava cave my phone interprets a tap as a jump and I go right over the edge. I don’t deem the rewards as worth the hassle. I started to try to build some bridges and such in there until I fell over the same ledge twice and gave up. I’ve never done the nw cave as I hear it’s similar in regards to ledges and such. 

Thanks everyone. I tried the kill, take implant, and revive strategy and it works well. For anyone else who’s interested, the most amber efficient way to do it is to revive a male wolf (so you can breed it quickly with existing female wolves) that’s below lvl 450 as that’s the level cap - unless you’re on single player where i’ve heard there’s no cap. If you revive any higher, it will spawn as a lvl 1 and you’d have wasted 36 amber. Then just KO it (revival platform inside an enclosure works well) and tame it normally. The wolf will be capped at 450 but not deleted if the taming bonus levels add up to over 450. It seems to be very quick - maybe 10 minutes with raw prime meat.

Are you on PvE Easy? If so then, as long as stay out of the water,  it'll be a snap. Easy. I have a lvl 305 Dire Wolf ( she was 295 my first time through) with nearly 8k health, 720% damage, fully imprinted.  I laugh at Yetis now. 

Granted,  I'm still careful. If they knock me into the water (or if I'm just careless and fall in) the laughter would be over. Quick.

So if you are on Easy, 3 of you will have no trouble.

It is easy to get lost but easy enough to see where you've been if you pay attention.  The official map is horrible. I've run the cave 3 times solo now and, while I don't have it memorized, getting to the artifact isn't a worry either.

Have fun!

- Rakkasan

On 12/26/2018 at 5:33 AM, Rakkasan said:

Are you on PvE Easy?

I’ve recently changed from medium to hard. I had a look inside the cave when the difficulty was medium and saw lvl 500 creatures so i changed the difficulty to hard so i could tame some higher level direwolves, before i found the implant-resurrection tame trick. Will the change to hard difficulty make the creatures even stronger in the snow cave?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are doing snow cave their are essentially three regions of the cave created by two walls of crystals. The walls can be jumped by a wolf you are riding but not crossed by wolves or yetis typically. The main issue of the cave is not being overwhelmed by enemies. Bats will fly over the crystal walls and if you are knocked into the water by yetis they will attack your character directly if they are higher up on land. There is a section with a lake with a bunch of small islands, I suggest anything on the islands themselves and making a run for it up the ramp and over the first crystal wall.

Bring lots of meat, I suggest a full inventory and expect to kill almost all bats. Avoid pulls when possible. You will need to clear the last section of the cave to be able to loot the artifact freely. Usually when in the artifact room your previous pull will have a chance to respawn. You will need to kill them or you will likely get knocked into the water. After that run for the entrance.

For gear either purchase the buff or bring fur to stand the cold. A ranged weapon can be useful to pull smaller groups to good locations to kill. A high lvl wolf is a necessity and a team mate is preferable.

Archived