story How do you find direction in Ark?

sharikross

Hello, 

So I've tried for a while to play Ark and get into this game's story and progression, but I always seem to get a bit lost and without direction after a while. I've been trying to stick with it for a while now and my latest playthrough is my longest yet. But I'm curious what the direction the game is supposed to take after the initial survival period wears off. I've been following along a playthrough on YouTube, to help guide me along a bit, but how is the game supposed to lead me to these caves and survivor notes? If I didn't consult the wiki or community, how would I learn about the progression?

It's something that I've always found curious about this game, almost like you need a guide to finish it, because the game lacks the tools that lead you to discover these things on your own, without relying on sheer luck of stumbling upon the sites on your own.

There inst really a "direction" the game is supposed to take. Which is by large the enjoyment of sandbox games. Due to the notes being spread out all over hell and back i just jumped on wiki and read the notes progressing from island, scorched, abb to extinction. they do have a somewhat linear story. With the current timeline set quite a while after the events of the explorer notes we don't necessarily get the feel for being a part of the ark story. Instead we get glimpses of what happened in the past. If you want to get "closure" or take a more timeline approach then progressing through the maps defeating each boss is what i would recommend. However the story you will experience is just the time it takes you to accomplish this. 

Oh, I get the sandbox approach, but once you start introducing things like bosses and story, it feels like the game should at least try to lead you in the general direction. Like maybe some kind of anomaly detector or something that helps you hunt down the pieces of content and tie everything together on your own. It just feels a bit odd, that the game depends so heavily on the wiki in order to progress. I was able to keep at it mostly due to having friends to discuss and play with.

23 minutes ago, sharikross said:

Oh, I get the sandbox approach, but once you start introducing things like bosses and story, it feels like the game should at least try to lead you in the general direction. Like maybe some kind of anomaly detector or something that helps you hunt down the pieces of content and tie everything together on your own. It just feels a bit odd, that the game depends so heavily on the wiki in order to progress. I was able to keep at it mostly due to having friends to discuss and play with.

Well technically ; you're exploring.. seeing the land etc. You either A) stumble across a cave and eventually make it to an Artifact or B) Stumble across an obelisk.. "hey whats this?" and learn of the bosses via console.

Story wise though, assume you know that the bosses exist and you know you need a strong developed team to do it. Whats strong? Rexs. Kibble farms for eggs, structures for safety and ease. It all compounds off eachother.

I would suggest joining us over at "What did you do in Ark Today?" Thread. Writing the daily stories really helped me keep track & progress while keeping it interesting by constantly recording my doings. You also get to read about lots of other people's experiences and learn a thing or two along the way.

Ps: use quote function if you are replying to people so they know to come check it later :) 

Archived