Ark lost its shine

SmokeyB

2 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

It's still the main WC people. Jeremy and Jesse and Jat

The open-world survival MMO will be released on PC via Steam on December 13, before coming to Xbox One in 2019 through Microsoft's Xbox Game Preview program. Atlas is developed by Grapeshot Games, a sister studio of ARK developer Studio Wildcard.

So I would hopefully expect a different dev team here.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Anarki said:

The open-world survival MMO will be released on PC via Steam on December 13, before coming to Xbox One in 2019 through Microsoft's Xbox Game Preview program. Atlas is developed by Grapeshot Games, a sister studio of ARK developer Studio Wildcard.

They have straight up said in an announcement on these forums that it's the original Wild Card team that's doing Atlas.

19 minutes ago, Anarki said:

It's not same devs. Devs are good they made one of the best games ever made . Lots of unique ideas and very creative people. Yeah the direction they decided to take ark was not to my taste but it was their choice and maybe they had a lot of people in their ears that wanted to push the faceless zerg meta rather than keep it small scale, but reading about atlas it seems that they have took this in to consideration and made it more solo friendly. 

Devs just need to remember no one has fun in a mega tribe except the leader . It's not fun to play in and it's not fun to play against just makes people hate the game. 

1 hour ago, SmokeyB said:

It's not same devs. Devs are good they made one of the best games ever made . Lots of unique ideas and very creative people. Yeah the direction they decided to take ark was not to my taste but it was their choice and maybe they had a lot of people in their ears that wanted to push the faceless zerg meta rather than keep it small scale, but reading about atlas it seems that they have took this in to consideration and made it more solo friendly. 

Devs just need to remember no one has fun in a mega tribe except the leader . It's not fun to play in and it's not fun to play against just makes people hate the game. 

Wrong... It IS the same devs... The devs announced this last week. As I said earlier they made a game with a great concept and story, but they did a poor job.  There is far more to game development than a concept and story. There is optimization, of which we have nil. There is customer support, which is laughable from wild card. There is ingenuity for game mechanics, which wild card has shown to be lacking time and time again. (evident in the fact that only 1 boss fight is more than a tank and spank hp sponge.  If they don't prove to be different with atlas, then atlas NEEDS to do poorly. If it doesn't, then they will fail again to learn this lesson. 

On 12/19/2018 at 3:03 AM, SmokeyB said:

I played ark from early access day one,  it was amazing building up on the island and trying not to get raided , staying small then moving to centre and joining up with people,  getting to know the tribes on the server , building up fighting etc the game was super fun and you knew your enemy , you knew the people you were fighting and had a chance to hit them back , small tribes were like a prize to look after , protect from trolls it was nice to give kibble and stuff to bobs on the beach have a friendly server and run it like a community with rules and laws ,you could have your own breeding lines and tame for new stats . Being alpha meant something .

Then scorched came and transfers along with it . People started moving around servers,  they didn't need to talk or get to know people any more they could just do what they liked and move on after . If someone wiped you instead to going hidd3n and trying to build up quiet now the best idea was move servers build up and come back with an army of tames . With no way to know where they are coming from or when people started to lose year old bases , to trolls and beach bobs , that's never fun , so the best tactic for anyone that wants to build and have a nice base is get more people get more allies . This leads to whole servers allied with each other not letting anyone build or join the server in fear of cross server raiders. This lead to small tribes having no where to build,  alliance up on an unraidable server or get wiped over and over . No time for politics or communicating . 

Then this leads to the only way to wipe these douches in server alliances to make bigger and bigger alliances . The mega tribes start to arrive . These mega can flood a server and foundation wipe it brick by brick , that leads to no alpha being safe . Alliance with a mega or get wiped. Bored mega tribe members that are sick of not being able to do anything in their huge tribe server transfer and raid servers with LVL 400 dinos . All small tribes get wiped and all that's left is huge mega bases with foundation spam covering half the map in front of their bases . Then small tribe server come out and all the small tribes leave and go to a different cluster. Now when a mega tribe members goes trolling he doesn't find anyone to troll. Alpha mega bases you can't touch in a cave or ruined stone huts. No fun no small scale PvP left in the game.

So ok that's fine there's all these mega battles going on let's get a look at that . Oh wait the server is 94/70 you can't even get on , 2 hours of spamming join later you get in join up with your tribe get to the front line and dc , oh snap , 2 more hours getting on and oh look the enemy's got a tek forcefield 2 hours of standing outside that , then a few hours of tanking bullets and clearing spam then you get in the base and they have uploaded everything in a transmitter. The other day I literally went to bed during a raid , came back on like 9 hours later and they was still in the same spot clearing spam as they was when I went to sleep . That's not fun or engaging game play . No loot no good dino battles just tank ,clear spam , place your own spam and turrets and inch along like that .  Boring .

Small scale PvP is where it's at in this game but it's now ruined. Small tribe servers and tek ruined ark PvP .  You took all the soft raid targets and made a whole tier off stuff that are not available to a solo player , even another 50 levels that a solo player will never get . This just lead to the mega tribe problem and the loss of fun in ark . 

Play on an Official CrossArk server. No Mega tribes because you are limited to the 6 maps tied to that cluster and that's it.  It's back to the way Ark used to be!

I know you're trying to be funny, but there are a bunch of games where the devs truly care about their player base. I dunno if you are into speed running at all, but a huge number of indie games being speed run have the devs being active members of the communities and engaging to see what needs to change and what needs to remain for the game to be best across all playstyles.

ARK lost its shine a while ago when flyers become the dominant Meta for just about everything. 20k hp Quetzals flying around with turrets on the back and a rider hidden in a metal box that you couldn't shoot off. The introduction of Aberration was a reverse of this decline, promising to offer fresh new gameplay that didn't revolve around flyers but then they added the Rock Drake.. Still though it was better then Scorched Earth and less flyer dominated then the other maps.

The same cannot be said for Extinction though. That is single headedly the worst DLC of the lot. Broken, boring and just not fun. Whatever fool thought adding 500k hp flying dinos to the game was fair and balanced should be lined up and shot. Thanks to this garbage raiding now is even more brainless then parking a Bronto outside someone's base. 

In terms of Small tribes server they have actually brought new life into the game albeit a little late. People have been complaining for years about the boring large tribe situation on Official servers and after 3 years Wild Card actually decided to listen. The result speaks for itself they are the most popular servers by far.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:25 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

In terms of Small tribes server they have actually brought new life into the game albeit a little late. People have been complaining for years about the boring large tribe situation on Official servers and after 3 years Wild Card actually decided to listen. The result speaks for itself they are the most popular servers by far.

Small tribes is good as a concept .. 6 mans is way to little tho. And for instance teaming is a problem. Good thing there are no asian players since they allways use aimbot and other cheats as well. (mostly aim bot). 

The problem in ark its way to hard to defend for offline raids. On small servers you have to play 12 hours a day and have ppl online 24/7. its not sane. Conquest are owned by chinese and not worth playing from that perspective. ( I actually play on Conquest). 

Titans that fly on aberration, managrm breath that reaches further than turrets and if you are in the breath for longer than 0.5 seconds you are done for. 

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Not too mention the reskinned wolves, daedons, horses, shark, penguin, ptera, yuty, snake etc etc ;)

But come on a penguins a penguin , why are they gonna make a new penguin design when they already have one ? It don't make sense . Arks creatures look good , what do you want then to do? 

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

Ugh.

I dont say this often here.. but c'mon guys. 

The only ones that actually irked me at all (not that i am actually concerned) is the yuty and the ptera. I love the yuty in Ark and the 'yuty' in Atlas just looks a bit weird animation and sound wise because I really love the yuty. 

27 minutes ago, SmokeyB said:

But come on a penguins a penguin , why are they gonna make a new penguin design when they already have one ? It don't make sense . Arks creatures look good , what do you want then to do? 

Tbh I am actually not even fussed. I actually like what I see. All the creatures look great in Atlas and in Ark. Heck I wouldnt mind seeing the dire wolves in Ark to be made more like the the wolves in atlas.

7 hours ago, SmokeyB said:

The problem is that atm it seems as if atlas is nothing more than a reskinned ark, and I don't think anyone is actually surprised by it. 

12 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

The problem is that atm it seems as if atlas is nothing more than a reskinned ark, and I don't think anyone is actually surprised by it. 

A lot of similarities yes, but a huge number of differences as well.  Personally I have no problem with related games having very similar or identical controls and menus.. it makes it much easier to dive into game play.  To me it looks like there are more than enough differences to not feel like I'm just repeating the ARK experience, but to each his/her own.

6 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

A lot of similarities yes, but a huge number of differences as well.  Personally I have no problem with related games having very similar or identical controls and menus.. it makes it much easier to dive into game play.  To me it looks like there are more than enough differences to not feel like I'm just repeating the ARK experience, but to each his/her own.

If a game is built on the same engine, then there are bound to be tons of similarities. The 2 main problems I have with Atlas atm are 1:  the only differences between them seem to be cosmetic outside of items providing subtle differences and the 100/server pop limit on a backend that simply can't handle that number to begin with, and 2:  The devs clearly haven't learned anything from the ARK experiment and are following the same path they forged the first time. 

Archived