Ability to claim OSD/Veins, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Aryaaaw

Seriously, whose idea was it to have the ability to claim OSD's/Veins, and have them REMAIN CLAIMED? Did no one seriously think about the idiots who enjoy ruining others gameplay, going around and claiming them all purely to prevent others from doing them? Seriously, why is there no timer/out of range timer that unclaims the drop and vein to prevent this? Did no one REALLY not think of this?

Yeah, all the drops and veins have been claimed on our server all day, with not a soul in sight completing them. Soooo, not really much of a fix.

1 minute ago, Vaculity said:

Then what would you suggest then? 

It's either no claim and easily raptored by opportunistic thieving tribe,  or claim and be griefed  and locked by would be trolls who wants no one at drop. 

Either way,  there is no absolute solution to this situation of thieving of osd and veins. 

I mean, there  is. I just said it above, set a timer / distance limit from the vein. If you claim it but aren't within range / don't start the OSD/Vein within a specific time (5 minutes) then you lose claim and it resets.

That is what have should have been done in the first place. Now? It will be impossible to even do them at all. 

Just now, Aryaaaw said:

I mean, there  is. I just said it above, set a timer / distance limit from the vein. If you claim it but aren't within range / don't start the OSD/Vein within a specific time (5 minutes) then you lose claim and it resets.

That is what have should have been done in the first place. Now? It will be impossible to even do them at all. 

Problem is that it is set to despawn if nobody is rendering it when it becomes active. Setting it to that still leads to the person constantly returning and locking it, which won't really help in this situation. 

Just now, Vaculity said:

Problem is that it is set to despawn if nobody is rendering it when it becomes active. Setting it to that still leads to the person constantly returning and locking it, which won't really help in this situation. 

From my experience, no, it doesn't despawn when active if you leave render. I've left multiple times (to get water and such for example) and it's always still there, even when other players aren't. Maybe luck, who knows.And it is still a way better option than allowing people to permanently claim it. One would truly have to be pathetic enough to continue going back and forth every 5 minutes to each location, just to reset/reclaim. It should be a "If you don't start in 5 minutes, you lose the rights to it". Period.

Just to give you an example, we have a ton of Chinese players that are constantly looking for ways to ruin our server. Stealing Titans, killing them while you try to tame, killing tames you're going after, the list goes on. WC just gave these types of players a brand new way to screw over people even more.

Oh, and tonight, I found 5-6 drops, 2 veins. ONE vein was all that wasn't claimed, and that was because it basically spawned as I was there. The other drops were claimed and yet 0 people there for the drop. So yeah, this will be a huge problem, I understand they were trying to fix it but this just made it 500 times worse lol. 

Just now, Aryaaaw said:

From my experience, no, it doesn't despawn when active if you leave render. I've left multiple times (to get water and such for example) and it's always still there, even when other players aren't. Maybe luck, who knows.And it is still a way better option than allowing people to permanently claim it. One would truly have to be pathetic enough to continue going back and forth every 5 minutes to each location, just to reset/reclaim. It should be a "If you don't start in 5 minutes, you lose the rights to it". Period.

Just to give you an example, we have a ton of Chinese players that are constantly looking for ways to ruin our server. Stealing Titans, killing them while you try to tame, killing tames you're going after, the list goes on. WC just gave these types of players a brand new way to screw over people even more.

Oh, and tonight, I found 5-6 drops, 2 veins. ONE vein was all that wasn't claimed, and that was because it basically spawned as I was there. The other drops were claimed and yet 0 people there for the drop. So yeah, this will be a huge problem, I understand they were trying to fix it but this just made it 500 times worse lol. 

People were asking for a way to claim the drops.  blame them for suggesting these ideas in the first place. 

And some people will definitely do that just to piss other off.  If they did that to drops,  what's not stopping them for denying every drop every 5 minutes? 

18 minutes ago, Vaculity said:

People were asking for a way to claim the drops.  blame them for suggesting these ideas in the first place. 

And some people will definitely do that just to piss other off.  If they did that to drops,  what's not stopping them for denying every drop every 5 minutes? 

*Sigh* You're not getting my point.

Having a reset timer is better than having none, that is literally all I'm saying. Do you really think people are going to spend their entire day, hopping around the map hours straight, just to reclaim a drop they aren't going to do? I mean come on dude, people are rude and idiotic sometimes but no one is going to spend hours straight just reclaiming drops. 

And no, I blame WC because their developers should have THOUGHT of this in almost ever scenario. That is literally what game-making is about, problem solving. And this is such an obvious thing that they had to have known would happen and yet, they still say "f it lets just do it anyways". 

Ah, you know what WOULD solve a lot of this regarding idiotic players who enjoy pissing players off?

Region lock.

Tada. 

11 minutes ago, flamron said:

That was quick. My prediction of people claiming all drops and veins and then seeing posts here complaining about it came true. 

But you all got what you wanted. So live with it. Many people won’t be doing these in many servers because of this - can we call it griefing or is that too soon? ;)

Lol I mean, can you blame people? Unless done properly, having the ability to claim it is just plain stupid because of this very reason. We were actually having less problems with (Chinese specifically) people stealing our drops/veins because they knew the entire server would revolt and do the same to them. So it became less of an issue. This basically just gave them another way to ruin the game for everyone, and us not being able to do anything about it.

What could be done is, why doesn't the vein/OSD activate the second it is claimed, rather than this long delayed wait to start it up? The problem is the timing with these, it's literally an easy fix if they actually considered it to begin with. Either start the OSD/vein the second you hit claim, or do the timer/distance thing. Posts like these need to be made, so Devs can hopefully understand and make changes. I mean they changed this because I guess people complained about it, so lets hope they do the same with this. 

One possible fix would be to have loot and element/dust/shards be tied specifically to the amount of dinos you killed. Still some issues with this, but may be more realistic than this claiming fad. 

Another possibility would be to put a cool down by tribe on drops and veins.  20-30min cool down before the next can be claimed.  That’s enough time to complete a yellow or 25k for most folks, then move onto the next.

Our server had sorted out the issues as well - we were cooperating much better and for those that just saw fit to come in on the end after watching, they ran the remainder of the waves by themselves while we watched. Which was a deterrent for most. A rex or an owl isn’t going to do much against wave 4/5 of a red drop. 

I’m curious to see how it goes this week, though. I’m certain there will be “that guy” activating everything on most servers. So this will be one of many complaints. 

...that's not how it's playing out on my server at all?     We were happy as hell with the change.     I had to work late but my allies and tribemates on discord were doing drops and veins nonstop and had no issues whatsover.

Also, wouldn't "claiming" it also start the event, IE it'd just die to dinos from wave 0?     And the idea of some troll trying to refresh their lock constantly seems stupid as hell, that's way more effort than you're letting on.

Frankly this all sounds like sour grapes from people who wanted to be able to vulture other people's hard work at clearing hard drops/veins, but don't have the cajones to go on a pvp server where the victims can fight back.

47 minutes ago, Migol said:

...that's not how it's playing out on my server at all?     We were happy as hell with the change.     I had to work late but my allies and tribemates on discord were doing drops and veins nonstop and had no issues whatsover.

Also, wouldn't "claiming" it also start the event, IE it'd just die to dinos from wave 0?     And the idea of some troll trying to refresh their lock constantly seems stupid as hell, that's way more effort than you're letting on.

Frankly this all sounds like sour grapes from people who wanted to be able to vulture other people's hard work at clearing hard drops/veins, but don't have the cajones to go on a pvp server where the victims can fight back.

Well lucky you, we have a half of the server that is absolutely amazing, and then half of the server that is Chinese that go out of their way to ruin your gameplay. Just know, one tribe alone claimed almost every single OSD drop, just so others couldn't. This was 5 minutes ago.

Claiming it and starting the event would basically revert it to how things were before, but still with the ability to claim. Why would you claim it knowing "oh, it's going to start immediately so I technically won't be keeping this drop from other players and screwing their game". The drops / veins take a few seconds and are often delayed, more so with the drops. It took almost a full minute for one drop to activate earlier. This gives these idiots plenty of time to claim, and high-tail out of there. Whether this is how they are, or if it's due to our god-awful ping, I don't know but it's been a problem ever since this update went live.

Dude, you aren't getting the point of this post. The claim thing is a great idea, we have always had problems with players stealing our poop (less so these days, but one Chinese tribe tried stealing my vein tonight.... not realizing the claim system was a thing, lol). So, no. This isn't about "being a vulture", this is about assholes on our servers purposefully taking opportunities away from the rest of the entire server, simply because they hate us.

Good for you that you don't have such assholes on your server, but ours is filled with them and we're not able to do anything about it other than activate the claimed OSDs/Veins, and pray another one pops up in time to claim it. 

Yes, it'd be optimal if they activated immediately on claiming (and it seems odd they don't, guessing lag is to blame).    If that's your complaint then sure, valid.     I've never encountered a situation (that I've noticed at least) where you can go in, touch the drop and not have it activate within a few seconds.      Still, this seems like a LOT of effort to keep the trolling going, if all you have to do is stay in render range to activate the drop and let them be destroyed.  

One group on one server is a hostile group of foreigners who start drops and run off to lock them down, so therefore the claiming system is a bad idea?  I wholeheartedly disagree.  I watched an element vein get eaten by wave 0 that someone had started, and when the core went down the rest of the node collapsed.  About 30 seconds later I heard a rumble, and a 50k came up a bit away.

Drops are more active, as are veins from what I see on my server and seeing as how drop and node activity is a programmed thing, it is somewhat safe to assume it is the same (more active now) across all official network servers.  raptor the trollish people, foreign and domestic.  We wanted it this way, it is better.  The trolls are retaliating at losing the ability to vulture poop from tribes with whips and high melee pick builds.  They'll get bored and this will be a non-issue in a while.  No, it's not a great short-term solution but this is better than anyone around having unfettered access to your element or loot.

Also, region lock will never happen.  It would be nice, but sadly I think it's a dead issue.

On 12/19/2018 at 11:55 AM, Aryaaaw said:

Region lock.

This is simply not true. 

I'm from the EU and play on NA servers as my gaming friends are from the US, do I cause issues for the populace on the server I play on? No. If anything I am the friendly Brit who helps new players, provide high mutated statted dinos for the server for free. I go out of my way to help people enjoy their game. 

Region lock would achieve nothing and simply lower the ability to actually play multiplayer and meet different people from all over the world - which is a good thing.

25 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

What about changing it so u have to craft some kind of key to open/start a drop that way there is a small cost to starting a drop

crafting requirement for each key can be:

200 ingots

100 dust

100 poly

100 crystal

100 electronics

Nice idea but megatribes could hoard hundreds of keys as it wouldnt matter to them as its such a small resource cost.

1 hour ago, Anarki said:

This is simply not true. 

I'm from the EU and play on NA servers as my gaming friends are from the US, do I cause issues for the populace on the server I play on? No. If anything I am the friendly Brit who helps new players, provide high mutated statted dinos for the server for free. I go out of my way to help people enjoy their game. 

Region lock would achieve nothing and simply lower the ability to actually play multiplayer and meet different people from all over the world - which is a good thing.

The region lock would achive playable official pve servers without asian box tribes with 2000 animals/server, yes they have that many in some server.

5 minutes ago, devid20 said:

The region lock would achive playable official pve servers without asian box tribes with 2000 animals/server, yes they have that many in some server

Cryopods have been released to deal with that and the official PvE server I am on hasnt capped for ages. Server performance isnt as good as it used to be but I would suspect that WC have lowered the resource allocations to the virtual servers to save costs and the servers are just struggling with the high levels of players. 

As with Abb, it will die down over time.

And you really think that asian tribes will use 500 cryopods instead of one meat run/week? 

The other problem is that they are ruining other tribes titan tame/kill.

When we tried to kill the forest titan they just lured it out of the area so it healed itself...

When we tried to tame the ice titan they tried to kill it with manas but they made a mistake and died, they still did some dmg and we didn get an alpha

We dont need these asian griefers in eu servers.

1 hour ago, devid20 said:

And you really think that asian tribes will use 500 cryopods instead of one meat run/week? 

The other problem is that they are ruining other tribes titan tame/kill.

When we tried to kill the forest titan they just lured it out of the area so it healed itself...

When we tried to tame the ice titan they tried to kill it with manas but they made a mistake and died, they still did some dmg and we didn get an alpha

We dont need these asian griefers in eu servers.

And I presume you don't want other players from other world other than Asian? Region lock will strictly lock only to that region.  Which mean not only Asian can't join,  but everyone else not from the region as well.  For instance.  In na server,  ONLY na region can go in.  No eu or Australia region are permitted inside,  no exception. This can easily cause a lot of loss because wc don't have all server region. 

This problem will not stop, not on our server. The asian tribes on our servers are some of the most hostile players I've ever met. They lure wyverns and Gigas to peoples bases, Kill/steal Titan tames (Asian tribe stole our Forest Titan from us, claimed it before we could), and they are constantly showing up to ruin Titan tames from anyone that isn't a part of their "box tribe alliance". T

The biggest reason this claim thing isn't working then, is because of the lag then(?) The OSD and vein drops always take a while to activate on our server. As I said, it took about 1 minute for a drop to start the other night. I always thought that was how it worked, that it took a bit to activate... If it's SUPPOSED to activate immediately after claiming it, then this is purely an issue with the ping/lag on our server, and the griefers are just using this to their advantage. What they do is go around, claim OSD/Veins, and then work their way to each one gradually... Which surprise, is always 200+ whenever the Chinese tribes are on. They absolutely ruin our Ping completely. Region lock may not be a popular idea among many, but when you experience the harassment and abuse from these box tribes the way that our server has experienced, you will easily change your mind. Especially when you get to experience them all saying "Death to you" and "All of the Chinese tribes will come and destroy your bases" and then continues kiting Gigas and Wyverns to peoples bases. Sucks, because our server is filled with amazing people, then we have .... these people, completely ruining it. It's just pathetic honestly. 

Again, don't get me wrong- the claim system was definitely a GOOD decision. It saved my vein last night when some Chinese dude swooped in and ran straight for the middle, trying to take it. Idiot didn't realize the claim thing was a thing lol. But it has to be tweaked to prevent things like what I mentioned above from happening. I had no idea they usually started immediately, because for us, they usually don't. I tested it the other night, claimed a drop, and waited at least 1-2 minutes, same with the other drop from before. I generally play at night, when the Chinese tribes are on, so the ping is always pretty bad... That is most likely the cause if they are supposed to activate upon claiming. But even during the day, people still find claimed drops all over the place. If this is purely a lag issue, then WC, please fix the damn ping these servers are experiencing lol. Otherwise this issue will continue being a problem because when it comes to these specific players, they really won't stop. No idea how they have not been banned honestly, reports apparently do nothing lol.

Archived