what to do about insiders

sahlty

my friends and i have been griefed a handful of times across servers in the last few weeks. long story short, we found someone who was willing to tribe up with us on a Rag server; we gave him a snow owl and he let us stay at his base, use his materials, etc... in the end, he ended up kicking us while 2 of us were online and taking our tames (because the settings were set to Tribe Owned).

i guess there were red flags we didn’t catch until after it had all happened and the base’s turrets killed me after i was kicked and he took our managrmrs and wyvern (lol). dude totally played us saying stuff like “it’s cool you guys know each other in real life cause you don’t worry about insiders” and when we’d mentioned how we always set our tames to personally owned, he brushed it off like “oh” but never took the time to change it for our tribe. granted we had griefers on the server and were busy trying to make sure we were hidden, so my friend and i thought nothing of it.

anyway, i’m not sure this constitutes as a violation of the code of conduct but if anyone has any advice, that’d be great. we’re used to being griefed, but this is a whole new level of being a huge jerk. playing the nice guy and taking tames being sly like that is super low lol.

FYI, this all happened in less than 48 hours, maybe even 24. my friend found him one day, we all transferred that same day, tamed stuff, then the next day the betrayal happened lmao

Yeah, its a harsh lesson but that is definitely ARK for you. It also happens in PvE

Many people come on our server (just last night in fact) and they play the whole 'anyone happy to let me join their tribe' card. 

I happily give new players tames and mats but I never let them join our tribe - just too much work has been done by my tribemate and I to risk losing it.

Trust... I rarely have any.

Risk... my appetite is low so rarely take risks with these situations.

I hope you guys dont get too paranoid about it and can move on. Just forget him and go and enjoy your game. Sooner or later someone will wipe him anyway - karma is a biatch.

53 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

That's Ark PvP, learn and move on.

If that happens in PvE, there is no “tough luck” because that’s against the rules. PvP is fair game to inside but what that guy did wasn’t insiding. He was just being a deceitful little twerp who stole your stuff without having to raid you. Insiding means demo everything, kill all tames.

Honestly, what that guy did should be against the rules, even in PvP. Destroying your base and crippling from inside is one thing, but stealing everything for yourself should be considered cheating. That’s because you’re supposed to build your own network and not steal someone else’s. Raiding is fair game to take things but stealing tames and entire bases is griefing.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

And it’s people like you who just accept it for what it is. If that happened to ME, I’d..well..let’s just say it’s against forum rules to say what I would do :)

Well there's really only two choices people have in PvP when insiding happens, either learn from the mistake and move on, or fight back in retaliation. What else is there to do?

3 minutes ago, GP said:

Well there's really only two choices people have in PvP when insiding happens, either learn from the mistake and move on, or fight back in retaliation. What else is there to do?

Ahaha I see what you’re trying to do. I’ll never confess! I’d fight back in retaliation. I won’t break any rules doing it, I promise :) I’m a good boy. I was just referring to profanity lol 

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

Ahaha I see what you’re trying to do. I’ll never confess! I’d fight back in retaliation. I won’t break any rules doing it, I promise :) I’m a good boy. I was just referring to profanity lol 

Don't worry I had no intentions with my post, you're still on Santas good list.

:dod-xmas:

3 hours ago, MackTheKnife said:

If that happens in PvE, there is no “tough luck” because that’s against the rules. PvP is fair game to inside but what that guy did wasn’t insiding. He was just being a deceitful little twerp who stole your stuff without having to raid you. Insiding means demo everything, kill all tames.

Honestly, what that guy did should be against the rules, even in PvP. Destroying your base and crippling from inside is one thing, but stealing everything for yourself should be considered cheating. That’s because you’re supposed to build your own network and not steal someone else’s. Raiding is fair game to take things but stealing tames and entire bases is griefing.

I don't think insiding is against the rules on either PvP or PvE.

Insiding is just a creative way to play the game.

Players can easily avoid being insided.

Tribe settings are there for your protection, I am constantly surprised that so few people use them.  Dont give new members admin rights, and use the level of access to restrict dinos and doors etc that people can access.  Using that you can safely invite anybody into your tribe and they can only use the possibly one dino/door etc that you allow them. Over time as new members prove themselves you can lift the access level up allowing them more toys to interact with. It can be a pain to set up on an established base but it is worth while.

32 minutes ago, Oldkane said:

Tribe settings are there for your protection, I am constantly surprised that so few people use them.  Dont give new members admin rights, and use the level of access to restrict dinos and doors etc that people can access.  Using that you can safely invite anybody into your tribe and they can only use the possibly one dino/door etc that you allow them. Over time as new members prove themselves you can lift the access level up allowing them more toys to interact with. It can be a pain to set up on an established base but it is worth while.

I agree with this, but TBH it's not the most intuitive system.

Archived