Do you like Tek or do you hate it?

Anarki

32 minutes ago, Anarki said:

I am only at blue and yellow just now. 

How have you managed a Red with a Giga as I heard that the enraged A Rexes enrage Gigas so Gigas arent a good option at that point? Or is this only for Purples that enraged A Rexes spawn?

According to the wiki (assuming its accurate) corrupted enraged rexes are only uncommon spawns in the purple drops does not mention them in the red spawn list. However saying that, I have just noticed that the rex is mentioned twice in the red drop list so maybe its a typo and enraged rexs are present..... 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

According to the wiki (assuming its accurate) corrupted enraged rexes are only uncommon spawns in the purple drops does not mention them in the red spawn list. However saying that, I have just noticed that the rex is mentioned twice in the red drop list so maybe its a typo and enraged rexs are present..... 

i went off and read another thread, people in there had encountered them in purple, noone had mentioned red so that this fine.

It could be that my gigas are hoss bred gigas, but I have been soloing purple drops up to wave 10 without enraging.  Enraged rexes do turn the tables quite a bit, though.  I had 6 of them on me at one time, and lost about 1/4 of my giga's health before they died.  They're definitely the hardest part of the purple drops.  Add another giga on a rider for mate boost, though, and we tear through them np.  We can easily duo wave 100.  You'll never see an enraged rex on a red drop.  Enraged trikes are pretty common, though.

*Edit* It should be noted that Extinction is the first map where I will vouch for the usefulness of a giga (in particular a bred giga) for PvE.  There's such a little difference in their usefulness on other maps that I can't justify getting, and especially raising one.  On Extinction, that changes dramatically.  They wreck everything.  Until reapers are available for extinction, they're your best option for wyvern defense, also.  A bred giga can tear through the forbidden zone like it's nothing.

I think that the Tek dinos are really good for the game. Look at it this way, before you got 150 regular Rexs that maybe got like 5k health but now you can get a Tek rex and get like 7-8k health 180 tamed. So this kinda makes boss fights more doable because you dont have to sit there and try and do a insane amount of breeding just to get good health and melee. The Tek rexs just make it faster to do boss fights.

3 minutes ago, XSEASICXCLERICX said:

I think that the Tek dinos are really good for the game. Look at it this way, before you got 150 regular Rexs that maybe got like 5k health but now you can get a Tek rex and get like 7-8k health 180 tamed. So this kinda makes boss fights more doable because you dont have to sit there and try and do a insane amount of breeding just to get good health and melee. The Tek rexs just make it faster to do boss fights.

I get the feeling that the OP was talking almost exclusively about lore reasons behind tek dinos rather than functionality.  With that said, you can still find the derpy-hooves unicorns in tek rexes.  I have seen too many 60+ movement speed level dinos in my day to put all my value into dino level alone.  (I had a rex knock-out once that at level 150, if you had taken out the food, oxygen, and movement speed levels, was a level 40 rex.... I almost vomited when I saw its stats...)

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Oh good. What sort of gigas ? Do they have to be well imprinted or would wild tamed one do ? I am working on two giga raises atm for precisely this reason, only going to have 30%  on the imprint but I do have some rather good ascendant saddles (120 to 140 armour) from Ragnarok I can transfer. 

Must be a really good giga because with two pretty decent meks we didn't get past wave 4.

3 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

I get the feeling that the OP was talking almost exclusively about lore reasons behind tek dinos rather than functionality.  With that said, you can still find the derpy-hooves unicorns in tek rexes.  I have seen too many 60+ movement speed level dinos in my day to put all my value into dino level alone.  (I had a rex knock-out once that at level 150, if you had taken out the food, oxygen, and movement speed levels, was a level 40 rex.... I almost vomited when I saw its stats...)

I kinda think that this fits into the lore in some way. Human civilization was super advanced and they wanted to give the new people on the Ark an advantage to survive and evolve faster, so they gave the people tools to use. I think the Tek dinos are like the extra tools that they gave us.

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

I'll start small with yellow drops then....

Blue can be done on just an enforcer, yellow generally duo for ease as nothing too major gets in the way.

I've yet to hit Purple or Red as tribemate and I have purposely not spent too much time in 'Lag City'. Weve a base, some Rexes, Velos, Enforcers, Gachas, Snow Owls, Argies and the utility dinos but we havent bred yet and havent bothered with a Giga yet.

Its actually been quite nice just exploring the map and just building up at our own pace.

And yes, we did get a Tek Rex - I think i will allow in my mind that Tek in Ext is fair :)

10 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Blue can be done on just an enforcer, yellow generally duo for ease as nothing too major gets in the way.

I've yet to hit Purple or Red as tribemate and I have purposely not spent too much time in 'Lag City'. Weve a base, some Rexes, Velos, Enforcers, Gachas, Snow Owls, Argies and the utility dinos but we havent bred yet and havent bothered with a Giga yet.

Its actually been quite nice just exploring the map and just building up at our own pace.

And yes, we did get a Tek Rex - I think i will allow in my mind that Tek in Ext is fair :)

I did blue no problem with theris and velonasaur, it was a cake walk. Did yellow with theris/velons/hyaenadons and it was nearly too much for me but I managed it. Want to see if the giga makes doing yellow much more manageable solo and if all goes ok I shall think about a jump to red. I just would like to be able to 100% imprint a giga but I wont do that while the cryopod is broken with imprints.

13 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I'll say this.  The difficulty difference between each drop is pretty substantial.  Blues are pretty easy (Just about any capable fighter mount can solo them.)  Yellows require a bit of coordination and a somewhat tanky mount.  Reds see a significant difficulty increase for 3 reasons:  Levels jump up substantially for each wave, Enraged Trikes make everything stronger (damage dealt and damage received), and Wyverns.... (Cuz %-based damage is such good game design...).  Purple drops, however, shouldn't be underestimated at all.  You can easily take down red drops and die a horrible death against a purple.  Red drops don't get serious until wave 2 (the 3rd wave).  Purple drops will have ~5 wyverns greeting you first thing.  If you make it to wave 4, expect to see at least one enraged rex.  They provide the same buff to the corrupted as a trike, but they have corrupted giga levels of health.  When you have a whole wave biting at you while buffed by a rex, expect to take around 20k damage if you're solo unless you have a monster of a saddle.  We had 5 reapers for the first attempt (Private cluster, not "boosted", just not grindy).  We weren't even close to prepared for those rexes.  An enraged trike isn't a big deal because they die fast enough.  The rexes take FOREVER to kill....  Albeit, we have a difficulty of 8 on our servers, so max wild level of 240, but the drop dinos increase as well.  Highest I've seen is 620 on a purple around wave 10.  Seeing as we have a 40% increase, that would translate to 372 on official.  

2 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I just would like to be able to 100% imprint a giga but I wont do that while the cryopod is broken with imprints.

Why is it broken? I havent come across any broken pods. 

When hatching a Giga, you have 8 hrs until imprint, if you pod teh giga before you imprint and place it back down, it will be 8hrs again until you imprint... its not broken though, its definitely designed that way. You can pod the giga after 8 hrs and get your first imprint and then place it back down when you have another 8hrs spare :)

Have I missed something?

Just now, Anarki said:

Why is it broken? I havent come across any broken pods. 

When hatching a Giga, you have 8 hrs until imprint, if you pod teh giga before you imprint and place it back down, it will be 8hrs again until you imprint... its not broken though, its definitely designed that way. You can pod the giga after 8 hrs and get your first imprint and then place it back down when you have another 8hrs spare :)

Have I missed something?

Only that I play on a boosted server. The raise time for a giga is 6 hours on the server. Its broken because unfortunately the game does not take maturation rates into account and when you uncryo a dino it puts the imprint timer back to 8 hours rather than the servers 10 minutes so the imprint timer is longer than the entire raise time. And I am not raising a giga for 6 hours straight imprinting every ten minutes lol ?

The raise time for a giga is 6 hours on the server.

Absolutely insane!

And I am not raising a giga for 6 hours straight imprinting every ten minutes lol ?

That would be one easy Giga to raise and have 100% imprint on.

Do I consider unofficial now hahahaaa 

2 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Only that I play on a boosted server. The raise time for a giga is 6 hours on the server. Its broken because unfortunately the game does not take maturation rates into account and when you uncryo a dino it puts the imprint timer back to 8 hours rather than the servers 10 minutes so the imprint timer is longer than the entire raise time. And I am not raising a giga for 6 hours straight imprinting every ten minutes lol ?

That's the same rate as my cluster for raise time.  We just don't do any cryopodding of babies.  It's still a pretty tight window to imprint to 100% for us, though (about 47 minutes per imprint).  I only raise gigas on days when I have a full 6 hours to devote to it.   It's definitely worth the time spent, though.

5 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Absolutely insane!

That would be one easy Giga to raise and have 100% imprint on.

Do I consider unofficial now hahahaaa 

I love it ! I never really bred back on officials because of the times required but the rates I play with now mean that I can enjoy the whole breeding experience such as trying for mutations. Learned so much about breeding since I left official. But yes 6 hours is great for a giga raise hahaha

6 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

That's the same rate as my cluster for raise time.  We just don't do any cryopodding of babies.  It's still a pretty tight window to imprint to 100% for us, though (about 47 minutes per imprint).  I only raise gigas on days when I have a full 6 hours to devote to it.   It's definitely worth the time spent, though.

While I still love Ark long gone are the days I would be prepared to devote 6 straight hours to the cause. I only really play in the evenings now. But apart from that the 100% would certainly be worth it.

1 hour ago, banggugyangu said:

The lore doesn't actually address the tek dinos.  It's my theory that they are constructs made to counter the corruption, though, akin to enforcers.  If you look at the fact that they're essentially tek robots, it would make sense if they require element to operate.  The corrupted dinos are full of element.

You realize that tek was created by the people from the era of the URE and Federation, who likely are the cause of Earth becoming like it is in Extinction, right?  I can't really comment more without massive spoilers, but tek dinos in extinction makes perfect sense according to the lore.  At the same time, based on my theory I posted in response to Wazz, they could also make sense on all the ARKs as well.

@Wazzamaniac  I see your point about the alpha king titan's dossier, but if you inspect closely, he's still clearly biological and what you see covering his body appears to be armor akin to the saddles that you get on the titans when you tame them.  Being careful with my words to prevent as much spoiling as possible, The One Who Waits refers to all of the titans as creatures being "born of the corruption".  This insinuates that they aren't merely corrupted existing lifeforms, but rather lifeforms that came to being due to the element itself.  Whether that's a new lifeform altogether or perhaps an amalgamation of several (which I'm inclined to be the latter due to the forest titan) I'm not sure.

Bang, I agree about the King Titan.  The King Titan is "augmented" by the Element that "spawned" him, according to the dossier.  I take that to mean that he is a construct of Element, and augmented by it to be even more powerful (alpha King).

28 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I love it ! I never really bred back on officials because of the times required but the rates I play with now mean that I can enjoy the whole breeding experience such as trying for mutations. Learned so much about breeding since I left official. But yes 6 hours is great for a giga raise hahaha

While I still love Ark long gone are the days I would be prepared to devote 6 straight hours to the cause. I only really play in the evenings now. But apart from that the 100% would certainly be worth it.

I feel you.  My general time frames are about 3 hours in the evenings.  Saturdays, though, I typically have nothing going, so I can devote 6 hours to raise a giga if I feel like it.

6 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Spent quite a bit of time on Extinction and did plenty of OSDs/veins. If I may share some of my experiences below.

- Blue drops (depending on the location) can be done on foot with pump shotguns or a low-mid level enforcer.
- Yellow drops can be done with a decent Velo, Managarmr, mid-high level enforcer, or anything bigger really.
- Red drops can be easily soloed with a bred giga or a strong tamed one with proper saddle & dmg output. My personnal giga for example is a tamed one with a 125 MC saddle & 500% melee. Does the job without much effort really.
- Purple drops are more doable with more players but you can clear up to wave 5 solo with a bred giga without much issues. Rewards are not worth the trouble imho. I get more tek BPs from farming reds and the desert titan really.
- Use the stragglers in each wave as a recovery/healing moment before the next wave.
- More people makes it easier as you can spawncamp corrupted dinos instead of dealing colateral damage to the OSD/vein.
- Enforcers are truly vulnerable to corrupted arthros as they receive a big chunk of their multiplied damage back in the face.
- Enraged Corrupted Trikes hits hard, but have extremely low hp. Can be dispatched by a high level enforcer with minimal risks.
- Managarmrs are excellent assets for crowd control when doing OSDs/veins with 2 or 3 players only.
- Veins are FAR easier to clear than OSDs as dinos tends to get stuck in every damn pixel around the vein itself, rarely heading for the middle.

If you need, feel free to send me a PM and I'll gladly help out as much as I can.
Regards.

Nerd Parade posted a video about a week ago talking about all this end game stuff, and where this game has come and gone.  I'm in agreement with them, I wish they would have gone to the point where you have the Smithy, but done away with the Fabricator, and anything beyond that.  This game should be more about the dinos and less about technology.  Go back to the roots of the game!

Archived