Do you like Tek or do you hate it?

Anarki

So there are Tek armours, Tek weapons, Tek structures and now Tek dinos. What do you make of them?

I can see why there are Tek structures - its end game material (Element) that gives you a reward. I get it I really do. I get the Tek weapons and armour - again as a reward for end game but I'm not sure I get the reason for Tek dinos everywhere. 

Abberant dinos work for me in Aberration... but I'm glad they aren't on my Center map or the others. I'm kind of thinking that the Tek dinos should be in a Tek world (like after Extinction). Again, corrupted works for me only in Extinction.

Maybe I am just old fashioned and like the original dinos and don't like them being mixed across all maps and mixed with normal dinos.

Anyone see my point?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like Tek, that's why I'm playing Primitive Plus. Dinos and Tek don't match in mey eyes, the primitive setting fits much better. So I'm a little bit sad that you meet Tek creatures also on P+ servers. Outside of P+ it's understandable because there are TEK engrams too. In P+ you have no Tek at all but those Tek Stegos grin at you…

Absolutely agree! Tek dinos dont make sense at all. When wildcard introduced them with the extinction chronicles i thought maybe they make sense on extinction and have a place there. But it turned out wildcard just wanted to release something new and stronger that keeps people busy. I have to admit that (most of) the tek dinos look cool, but i still dont like them. They shouldnt have a higher level cap and they just dont fit into what i see in ark. The tek tier is just stupid. Totally doesnt fit in my eyes. I loved to play primitive (not prim +) but sadly wildcard abandoned that mode.

I think the concept of ark is very blurry. Is it a rather primitive survival game as it was until tek was introduced, or is it a halo type game? Is it pve- oriented or optimised for pvp? The problem is that ark tries to be everything at once, and that simply doesnt work. 

4 minutes ago, acat said:

I loved to play primitive (not prim +) but sadly wildcard abandoned that mode.

I'm still bitter against WC for removing all Primitive Hardcore Official servers without any kind of transfer or compensation for all our wasted time. They should have killed the mode months before the release since it was already planned to discard it anyways. Waiting on the release to backstab and force us into new servers was a pathetic cheap move.

As a matter of fact, the entire hardcore community got shafted with Ark's release...

4 minutes ago, acat said:

I think the concept of ark is very blurry. Is it a rather primitive survival game as it was until tek was introduced, or is it a halo type game? Is it pve- oriented or optimised for pvp? The problem is that ark tries to be everything at once, and that simply doesnt work. 

From day 1 of EA, we knew that we'd have some kind of Tek stuff eventually, and truth is I do enjoy some of the toys that came with that tier. That being said, the very first EA trailer with the primitive aspect and dinos is what brought me into this game. Prim + is what Ark should have been at day 1 imho.

Yes I'm spoiled by my 5k+ hours into the game but modern/tek stuff kinda makes the game easy mode, especially on official servers.

Regards.

2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Tek dinos are great, but they should only naturally spawn on extinction.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

From what I understand about the lore, they turn robotic when fully corrupted by element.

Not sure about that one. If you take a look at the Enraged Corrupted Rex, you can see corruption within its inner robotic parts.

I prefer the simple days of Ark before all the Tek. Maybe its just nostalgia for me.. not sure.

I like the features of Tek and the fact it gives you something to work towards that will noticably improve your QOL on servers.. (transmitter, teleporter etc) but to me feels out of place. Almost wish all the Tek was exclusive to Extinction.

I am 50/50 about tek. While I do love some elements ? of tek I hate some others. For me I like going through the progression of primitive all the way through the stone, metal, industrial and finaly tek. It seems kind of logical to eventually hit a more futuristic teir of technology, at least it does for me.

Stuff like the tek saddles, weapons and armour I like. Love the tek transmitter, great QoL thing. What I dont like is that there were things that could have been added into a teir below e.g tek trough. More things need to be added into the industrial teir. The element requirements for powering a tek suit or weapons especially on official type settings is crazy and needing to farm it through bosses is just insane. While I do kinda like the concept of unlocking tek through the bosses in terms of some sort of progression I hate the practical side of it, personally I think it would be better to have it level unlocked. 

As for the tek dinos wandering around again I am 50/50. It was cool during the extinction chronicles but now that Extinction is out it would be nice to see them restricted to Extinction.

For me it's not a concern as I havent gotten anywhere near tek yet, even after 700 hours of (solo) play. Still living the primitive survival life, which is where i prefer to stay.

It's definitely jarring to encounter robotic dinos but not much more jarring than a human encountering dinos in the first place.

In the end Ark is immersive due to its realism and graphics, not story or setting, so im quite comfortable.

2 hours ago, Darkholis said:

Agreed.

Not sure about that one. If you take a look at the Enraged Corrupted Rex, you can see corruption within its inner robotic parts.

*Spoilers*

Well if you look at the dossier for the final boss (alpha), it says that it has been "fully augmented by element", shows a lot of corruption underneath, and is fully covered in tek elements. The corrupted enraged rex is also made of tek. It just feels hinted that becoming robotic is the final stage of the infection, once full conversion is achieved.

I do like the prim+ and the early version of ARK and I totally understand the need by WC to implement further additions with DLC etc, Im just not sure I would have implemented it the same way as they have.

I have read above and really agree with most points, its like Age of Empires 2 where you start of in an earlier age and have to unlock the later ages as the game progresses - so I do enjoy that but it almost seems 'clunky' in how some of the Tek tiers have been implemented.

Maybe one of the future TLCs ( I think that is the correct term) will be around Tek and maybe change some of the tiers. Its end game content so I think that the beating of bosses is necessary and I hope they allow for people who havent unlocked the engrams to still be able to trade for them (unfortunately doesnt work with Replicator but does for Cryo fridge etc)

I find the 5% chance of having a higher level animal to spawn interesting. I dont like the visual appeal, the sci-fi side of ark annoys me a bit but it is what  the game purpose to be. A shame Dark & Light didnt live to my expectations and decided to differ from ark in a bad way =X.  Lore wise, anything is possible as each ark is an artificial ecosystem . Tek armors and saddles disappointed me a bit. That laser thing is a bit useless and no BPs for weapons, armors and saddles makes it a questionable choice.

39 minutes ago, ZulunSurvives said:

I find the 5% chance of having a higher level animal to spawn interesting. 

It always annoyed me that they did this for tek creature but not the stygi, brach or Stryacosaurus skins... missed opportunity... am predicting a comeback of those skins in the xmas event however...

40 minutes ago, ZulunSurvives said:

Tek armors and saddles disappointed me a bit. That laser thing is a bit useless and no BPs for weapons, armors and saddles makes it a questionable choice.

Oh boy, do I have news for you regarding Extinction. Not sure about the saddles but I am certain that the red OSDs drop tek weapon and armour quality BP as loot. Pitty these arent given out outside of the DLC however.

2 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Oh boy, do I have news for you regarding Extinction. Not sure about the saddles but I am certain that the red OSDs drop tek weapon and armour quality BP as loot. Pitty these arent given out outside of the DLC however.

Ohh thats really nice to read! Only did a coupĺe yellow ones so far. better get ready for Red ASAP. ?

27 minutes ago, ZulunSurvives said:

Ohh thats really nice to read! Only did a coupĺe yellow ones so far. better get ready for Red ASAP. ?

I have only just started doing the yellows. The blue I did fine but the one yellow drop I did was a bit ropey, dont know how I managed it. Red is going to be crazy lol

4 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

I can do red with a Giga that has 65 armor, but it usually ends with a really close call...

Oh good. What sort of gigas ? Do they have to be well imprinted or would wild tamed one do ? I am working on two giga raises atm for precisely this reason, only going to have 30%  on the imprint but I do have some rather good ascendant saddles (120 to 140 armour) from Ragnarok I can transfer. 

49 minutes ago, CyanicEmber said:

I can do red with a Giga that has 65 armor, but it usually ends with a really close call...

I am only at blue and yellow just now. 

How have you managed a Red with a Giga as I heard that the enraged A Rexes enrage Gigas so Gigas arent a good option at that point? Or is this only for Purples that enraged A Rexes spawn?

20 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Tek dinos are great, but they should only naturally spawn on extinction. From what I understand about the lore, they turn robotic when fully corrupted by element.

The lore doesn't actually address the tek dinos.  It's my theory that they are constructs made to counter the corruption, though, akin to enforcers.  If you look at the fact that they're essentially tek robots, it would make sense if they require element to operate.  The corrupted dinos are full of element.

On 12/13/2018 at 4:26 AM, Anarki said:

I'm kind of thinking that the Tek dinos should be in a Tek world (like after Extinction). Again, corrupted works for me only in Extinction.

You realize that tek was created by the people from the era of the URE and Federation, who likely are the cause of Earth becoming like it is in Extinction, right?  I can't really comment more without massive spoilers, but tek dinos in extinction makes perfect sense according to the lore.  At the same time, based on my theory I posted in response to Wazz, they could also make sense on all the ARKs as well.

@Wazzamaniac  I see your point about the alpha king titan's dossier, but if you inspect closely, he's still clearly biological and what you see covering his body appears to be armor akin to the saddles that you get on the titans when you tame them.  Being careful with my words to prevent as much spoiling as possible, The One Who Waits refers to all of the titans as creatures being "born of the corruption".  This insinuates that they aren't merely corrupted existing lifeforms, but rather lifeforms that came to being due to the element itself.  Whether that's a new lifeform altogether or perhaps an amalgamation of several (which I'm inclined to be the latter due to the forest titan) I'm not sure.

Archived