Do trapped wild dinos despawn?

irtuk

morning all

New player here with a query on wild dinos and taming.

So I was out exploring on my raft last night and came across a 125 Doedi on the east coast of the island. My base is on the south coast so, I took the opportunity to build a quick wooden pen on my boat, lured the doedi into it and walled it off. the pen was 1x2 foundation units and 1 wall high.

I sailed it back to my base, but it was very late, I didnt have sufficient kibble or RL time to do the tame then and there so I left it overnight penned up.

This morning, about six maybe seven hours later I logged on to go check it before I headed out to work, I intended to tame it tonight when I got back in. The Doedi ain't there any more which is annoying.

so, my question is basically "Do wild dinos despawn if they detect that they are trapped and cant move?"

I guess this would make sense from a coding point of view. you dont want trapped dinos eating up server resources, but on the other hand, it was a lovely Doedi and I really needed it!

Thanks

Trapped Dinos don't despawn, but unrendered structures cease to exist until rendered again.  Because of this, the Dino can easily pass through walls and other things with little consequence. Furthermore, the render distance on structures is significantly shorter than that of Dinos. A wild dino will be rendered much earlier than a building, wall, or gate.  This enhances the issue.  It likely walked out of the pen as soon as the server de-rendered the structures. This is why if you trap a Dino in a trap and need to return to your base, you want to make sure a player is in render distance of your trap to ensure it stays trapped 

Funny I'm seeing different kinds of answers here.  My experience is if you trap a wild dino in the area where it first spawned there is a very good chance it will be there later, while if you take it to another area of the map and leave then after awhile it more than likely de-spawn.  I've actually left wild dinos in a trap for days without it ever de-spawning, but these dinos were trapped in their spawn area. While the glitching out of a trap is a thing, it's not so much a render thing because I've trapped dinos in traps all the time and left render distance without them escaping.  On the other hand, I've had tamed water dinos glitch out of underwater pens telling me that this is more of a game issue than a render issue.

Trapped dinos, for the most part, in my experience stay trapped.  Higher tier creatures will despawn quicker, but what I have found to be the criteria for despawn/not despawn is aggro.  If you aggro them and drop aggro, they tend to despawn.  This is especially evident in Rock Elementals and things like Reapers.  If you aggro stuff and let it de-aggro, it will despawn some time later when de-rendered.

I could be wrong, but this is how I have come to understand it.

It depends. Most of the time they stick around until they either die or are despawned like other dinso that have lingered around too long. However there is either a bug or mechanic that exists where if a dino is not only trapped, but also is not allowed any movement whatsoever (Notably, whenever you land on, say, an equus with a wyvern and you get it stuck in your wing) apart from spinning in circles, it may despawn on the spot. In fact, I have witnessed this happening in not only small dinos, but also on karkinos and spinos. They simply vanish right in your face even when rendered.

Back to the original question, this phenomenon likely can happen with structure traps. The dino is considered glitched by the game and despawned.

Most of the time this won't happen. But keep in mind if a player sees a trapped dino chances are theyll kill it.

Archived