Wishlist For Scorched Earth TLC

CyanicEmber

Note: This is a repost because I somehow continuously forget that there is a dedicated board for each Expansion and I don't think you can move your own posts...

1. Wyvern Overhaul - There's no two ways about it, these guys were probably the awesomest thing in the entire expansion when it first came out. However, they have some glaring flaws and primitive design elements that have become more and more apparent as new content is released for the game.
    • Redesign the aiming system and provide a proper and precise targeting reticle for breath attacks just as we have for Karkinos and Reapers jumps, Velonasaur Minigun Mode, and Managarmr Rocket Boosts.
    • Rework landing mechanics so that Wyverns will land precisely where and when you want them to instead of flying around a wide area and getting you killed while you attempt to catch them. Heck, even if they were programmed to just stop flying in mid-air it would be better than what we've got as at least in that case we could get to them more easily.
    • Add Tek Wyvern Saddle - Just think of some kind of ability other than Tek Plasma Cannon, the wyverns are living biological weapons, they don't need plasma cannons. Breath amplification or afterburner that massively increases flight speed would be beautiful. 
    • Add Ice Wyverns - Now I know your first thought is that ScE is a desert and they just don't fit in. You're not wrong, however I have a solution and Wildcard brought this on themselves by mentioning Ice Wyverns in an Explorer Note as though they were a canon creature native to ScE. My concept is pretty simple, TEK Caves and Observation Platforms have been shown to be extremely cold in specific areas, if Scorched Earth ascension were added and there were a Tek Cave you could potentially traverse deep beneath the desert into an area that is extraordinarily cold in the opposite extreme to the surface. Here you could have a side path that leads to a large cavern or trench which houses exclusively Ice Wyverns.
    • If Ice Wyverns are added, overhaul their breath attack. I would suggest an Ice Shard "shot-gun" spray that applies the current slowing effect to targets it hits. This would sufficiently differentiate them from Poison, Fire, Lighting, and even the Managarmr breath attacks and it would rid them of the terrible recolored fire they currently have. It would also provide a second close range combat type that deals the most damage to targets that are close up. (Lightning and Poison are currently long-range types, while Fire is the only short-range.) Put simply, at mid or long range the Ice Wyvern might inflict the slowing effect and a little bit of damage, but at close range where all the individual Ice Shards can hit it not only slows the target but deals massive damage, of course this breath attack would have the most Stamina consumption of the four types.
    • Maybe add Alpha Variants of the other types? I'm a completionist...
  2. Add Tekgrams - I already suggested one, the Tek Wyvern Saddle, here's a few other ideas:
    • Tek Freon Cannon - Upgrade over the Flamethower with a stronger but shorter DoT that also slows targets.
    • Tek Acclimatizer - Wide-Range super Air Conditioner
    • Tek Atmospheric Condenser - Wide-Range pipeless transmission of water, supplies cooking and farming structures as well as passively restoring water to players that are in range.
    • Tek Pistol – Faster draw time, ten shot overheat, quick cooldown, low Element consumption, and perfect accuracy with little to no reticle sway or recoil. I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve been fighting armed with a Tek Rifle/Tek Railgun and wanted something just a little bit smaller and easier to use that I could quickly whip out. This is a need.
  3. Add Ascension Scene/Sequence - Would be great to have a second Overseer fight with a little bit of a different flavor than the first. I always felt like Scorched Earth would've benefited from a second boss fight and this would be an excellent opportunity. Entrance could be the sunken Colosseum in the dunes! ;)
  4. Add "Scorched" Variants of Vanilla dinos, it's already been proven that Aberrant Dinos have slightly different base stats (I believe it's something like 4% lower health and 5% higher damage) than their Vanilla counterparts and we also have an (admittedly non-tameable) variant in Extinction, Corrupted Dinos. Scorched Dinos could have a little bit different texture patterns and a small increase in Stamina and Weight for example, something like 8% and 3% maybe? Would just add some value and distinction to tames acquired there and make sense due to the harsher conditions they must endure.
  5. Reevaluate Current Spawns - My only suggestion is Allosaurus packs for the more open biomes and perhaps even the dunes (though I'm sure there are other logical changes that could be made). Would be cool to see them fight against Mantises and Deathworms. While we're at it, I wouldn't mind if Wild Mantises could wield tools, would give them a better fighting chance and make them more dangerous.
  6. Bug Review - I can think of a few things that still need to be addressed, there are four or five Supply Drops I can think of right off the top of my head that always undermesh and become unreachable. Mantises will not correctly render certain tools that they hold such as Whips, and Swords with the Scorched Skin applied. Mantises also suffer held item degradation when they are attacked, which makes no sense to me (but maybe intended?)
  7. Weather Effects Pass - All the weather effects are pretty awesome looking, but they have their awkward moments. For example when flying at high altitude during an electrical storm the clouds will just end up looking like black cotton balls situated strangely low to the ground... I don't see why they're not rendered at least partially in the skybox?
  8.  Skin Pass - Complete partial Skin Sets such as the Wyvern Gauntlets, (Maybe even turn it into craftable armor that's necessary to ride Phoenixes without taking burn damage?) and reintroduce unused skins in the ScE DevKit.

And that's all for now, what do the rest of you think? Do you have any Suggestions for a revisit to Scorched Earth? Comment and discuss below if you do!

-CyanicEmber

• 1 month later...
On 12/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, CyanicEmber said:

Note: This is a repost because I somehow continuously forget that there is a dedicated board for each Expansion and I don't think you can move your own posts...

1. Wyvern Overhaul - There's no two ways about it, these guys were probably the awesomest thing in the entire expansion when it first came out. However, they have some glaring flaws and primitive design elements that have become more and more apparent as new content is released for the game.
    • Redesign the aiming system and provide a proper and precise targeting reticle for breath attacks just as we have for Karkinos and Reapers jumps, Velonasaur Minigun Mode, and Managarmr Rocket Boosts.
    • Rework landing mechanics so that Wyverns will land precisely where and when you want them to instead of flying around a wide area and getting you killed while you attempt to catch them. Heck, even if they were programmed to just stop flying in mid-air it would be better than what we've got as at least in that case we could get to them more easily.
    • Add Tek Wyvern Saddle - Just think of some kind of ability other than Tek Plasma Cannon, the wyverns are living biological weapons, they don't need plasma cannons. Breath amplification or afterburner that massively increases flight speed would be beautiful. 
    • Add Ice Wyverns - Now I know your first thought is that ScE is a desert and they just don't fit in. You're not wrong, however I have a solution and Wildcard brought this on themselves by mentioning Ice Wyverns in an Explorer Note as though they were a canon creature native to ScE. My concept is pretty simple, TEK Caves and Observation Platforms have been shown to be extremely cold in specific areas, if Scorched Earth ascension were added and there were a Tek Cave you could potentially traverse deep beneath the desert into an area that is extraordinarily cold in the opposite extreme to the surface. Here you could have a side path that leads to a large cavern or trench which houses exclusively Ice Wyverns.
    • If Ice Wyverns are added, overhaul their breath attack. I would suggest an Ice Shard "shot-gun" spray that applies the current slowing effect to targets it hits. This would sufficiently differentiate them from Poison, Fire, Lighting, and even the Managarmr breath attacks and it would rid them of the terrible recolored fire they currently have. It would also provide a second close range combat type that deals the most damage to targets that are close up. (Lightning and Poison are currently long-range types, while Fire is the only short-range.) Put simply, at mid or long range the Ice Wyvern might inflict the slowing effect and a little bit of damage, but at close range where all the individual Ice Shards can hit it not only slows the target but deals massive damage, of course this breath attack would have the most Stamina consumption of the four types.
    • Maybe add Alpha Variants of the other types? I'm a completionist...
  2. Add Tekgrams - I already suggested one, the Tek Wyvern Saddle, here's a few other ideas:
    • Tek Freon Cannon - Upgrade over the Flamethower with a stronger but shorter DoT that also slows targets.
    • Tek Acclimatizer - Wide-Range super Air Conditioner
    • Tek Atmospheric Condenser - Wide-Range pipeless transmission of water, supplies cooking and farming structures as well as passively restoring water to players that are in range.
    • Tek Pistol – Faster draw time, ten shot overheat, quick cooldown, low Element consumption, and perfect accuracy with little to no reticle sway or recoil. I cannot tell you the number of times I’ve been fighting armed with a Tek Rifle/Tek Railgun and wanted something just a little bit smaller and easier to use that I could quickly whip out. This is a need.
  3. Add Ascension Scene/Sequence - Would be great to have a second Overseer fight with a little bit of a different flavor than the first. I always felt like Scorched Earth would've benefited from a second boss fight and this would be an excellent opportunity. Entrance could be the sunken Colosseum in the dunes! ;)
  4. Add "Scorched" Variants of Vanilla dinos, it's already been proven that Aberrant Dinos have slightly different base stats (I believe it's something like 4% lower health and 5% higher damage) than their Vanilla counterparts and we also have an (admittedly non-tameable) variant in Extinction, Corrupted Dinos. Scorched Dinos could have a little bit different texture patterns and a small increase in Stamina and Weight for example, something like 8% and 3% maybe? Would just add some value and distinction to tames acquired there and make sense due to the harsher conditions they must endure.
  5. Reevaluate Current Spawns - My only suggestion is Allosaurus packs for the more open biomes and perhaps even the dunes (though I'm sure there are other logical changes that could be made). Would be cool to see them fight against Mantises and Deathworms. While we're at it, I wouldn't mind if Wild Mantises could wield tools, would give them a better fighting chance and make them more dangerous.
  6. Bug Review - I can think of a few things that still need to be addressed, there are four or five Supply Drops I can think of right off the top of my head that always undermesh and become unreachable. Mantises will not correctly render certain tools that they hold such as Whips, and Swords with the Scorched Skin applied. Mantises also suffer held item degradation when they are attacked, which makes no sense to me (but maybe intended?)
  7. Weather Effects Pass - All the weather effects are pretty awesome looking, but they have their awkward moments. For example when flying at high altitude during an electrical storm the clouds will just end up looking like black cotton balls situated strangely low to the ground... I don't see why they're not rendered at least partially in the skybox?
  8.  Skin Pass - Complete partial Skin Sets such as the Wyvern Gauntlets, (Maybe even turn it into craftable armor that's necessary to ride Phoenixes without taking burn damage?) and reintroduce unused skins in the ScE DevKit.

And that's all for now, what do the rest of you think? Do you have any Suggestions for a revisit to Scorched Earth? Comment and discuss below if you do!

-CyanicEmber

THIS

I do feel like the Thorny dragon and the Death worm really need some TLC

For instance:

)Death worms come in 3 sizes, small, medium and large. They have the ability to grab, rag-doll, and throw players and creatures depending on their size (No head butting!) They can make a trap, pit, thing  similar to a bear trap or Plant Species Y trap and spawn nearby to kill you (but you can see a bit of it so as to not bee too OP). Also make them look like a bit like bobbit worms, more jaws less horns. (sexi face right? images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR70_Yi15Wivw6QbjpdYjQ)

Throny Dragons can have a slight reskin so they have more spikes on their body and nicer looking scales. They could fire much more spikes, mush closer at a target with a target-pointer for accuracy (they b shotgun lizards!!). A tail slap attack that stuns and bleeds a target so they aren't vulnerable from behind. A crazy supper-boost run on its hind legs like some lizards do (like dis guy hqdefault.jpg), with a stamina drain to not be too OP.

Other ideas might come later but this is all I got right now. I really like Scorched Earth, I would rather buy it before the original game. It was really a good DLC and I hope they give it the attention it deserves. :)

On 12/11/2018 at 4:40 PM, CyanicEmber said:

Add Tek Wyvern Saddle - Just think of some kind of ability other than Tek Plasma Cannon, the wyverns are living biological weapons, they don't need plasma cannons. Breath amplification or afterburner that massively increases flight speed would be beautiful. 

Add Ice Wyverns - Now I know your first thought is that ScE is a desert and they just don't fit in. You're not wrong, however I have a solution and Wildcard brought this on themselves by mentioning Ice Wyverns in an Explorer Note as though they were a canon creature native to ScE. My concept is pretty simple, TEK Caves and Observation Platforms have been shown to be extremely cold in specific areas, if Scorched Earth ascension were added and there were a Tek Cave you could potentially traverse deep beneath the desert into an area that is extraordinarily cold in the opposite extreme to the surface. Here you could have a side path that leads to a large cavern or trench which houses exclusively Ice Wyverns.

If Ice Wyverns are added, overhaul their breath attack. I would suggest an Ice Shard "shot-gun" spray that applies the current slowing effect to targets it hits. This would sufficiently differentiate them from Poison, Fire, Lighting, and even the Managarmr breath attacks and it would rid them of the terrible recolored fire they currently have. It would also provide a second close range combat type that deals the most damage to targets that are close up. (Lightning and Poison are currently long-range types, while Fire is the only short-range.) Put simply, at mid or long range the Ice Wyvern might inflict the slowing effect and a little bit of damage, but at close range where all the individual Ice Shards can hit it not only slows the target but deals massive damage, of course this breath attack would have the most Stamina consumption of the four types.

Oh my gawd.  Tek Wavnar Saddle, yes please.  Afterburner that burns element to increase speed a little bit would be sliiiiick, but I don't think it would happen.  But the additional armor provided would be...  Amazing!

Ice Wyvern added into observation deck/scorched ascension cave..  hell yes.  That sounds amazing.

Ice-Shard shotgun breath attack?  Yes.  That would be an excellent idea...  Similar to the density and spread of thorny needles, except respectable damage and a slow effect.  Ugh that would be so...  (i know its cringey Cyanic but i have to go for it) COOL.

16 hours ago, SpecTimsauru5 said:

Throny Dragons can have a slight reskin so they have more spikes on their body and nicer looking scales. They could fire much more spikes, mush closer at a target with a target-pointer for accuracy (they b shotgun lizards!!). A tail slap attack that stuns and bleeds a target so they aren't vulnerable from behind. A crazy supper-boost run on its hind legs like some lizards do (like dis guy hqdefault.jpg), with a stamina drain to not be too OP.

Other ideas might come later but this is all I got right now. I really like Scorched Earth, I would rather buy it before the original game. It was really a good DLC and I hope they give it the attention it deserves. :)

Please no Tim...  I have enough of a Thornlet problem...  If they added this I would never stop breeding them!

On 1/24/2019 at 3:22 AM, GeneralGibby said:

I’d love to see them add the mystical ThunderBird to SE, it would be like the Phoenix, but only appears during thunderstorms. One would have to tame it with a lightning, from a lightning Wyvern. I could see it being used to power generators and such.  :) 

96f83226ba85193bfe96584ddea5db14.jpg

Spoiler

Thunderbird_concept_art.jpg

Holy mother of awesomeness!!

I just love how creative the community is, +1 for the wyvern ideas and tek items also!

I think Phoenix needs a TLC also, they're amazing but only a trophy right now. Should have at least more weight capacity.

Some more ideas I had for Ark SE would be to add a new boss like an Amphisbeana or something like that. Maybe they could add some other creatures like Protoceratops or a giant Frilled lizard, or a fennec fox that can tellyou were it hears stuff, or something of that kind to keep SE a bit more alive.

For some TLC ideas I'd say give the Morellatops a more ceratopsian model update. So make the head and crest/frill a bit bigger (I mean add them on they're missing), and make the humps a bit unequally sized. Maybe give them a speed and stamina buff or something when they are full of water?

The Lymantria really, really, REALLY, needs some TLC!!! its a giant moth! there are numerous possibilities. For instance (just random ideas) there could be:    (1) A 45% buff on stamina, speed, health when night time arrives.      (2) A really potent gas cloud that can knock you out... coming from streams of gas expelled from both ends.     (3) It could become aggressive at night and attack players who aren't in a base or tent, or have a tame to protect them. Then it would attack and take the clothes of the players away to eat and convert into silk at 1 cloth item to 4 silk(s). Thus if you want to make silk you would tame it and make... 20 sets of cloth items and feed them to it.     (4) It could have a stinger in the abdomen to paralyze attackers for 15 seconds to fly away or attack as a tame.

Mantis really needs some TLC and model overhaul. Make it look more like a real mantis, but a cool and obscure one like the Dragon Mantis. Also fix the arms so that they have a more mantis like look to them (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/35/MantisLegGBMNH.jpg) have the grasping hand like part at the end of the arm so that the tools are angled downwards so that the swinging of the weapons gives it a bot more power. Also let them use their wings to fly for like 40-60 seconds, they have wings for a reason right!?

Rock elementals... nah,

Vultures... nah,

Jerboas... nah,

Wyverns... Remodel and improved firing attacks, left click = single blasts, right click = continous stream + both have cross-hairs for accuracy and slight (15%) zoom in. Also make them more erect walking/standing to not take up so much room and have their necks reared back a bit. Like this...images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9m0StVyrJlm83LCPgwt5

On 12/11/2018 at 6:40 PM, CyanicEmber said:

1. Wyvern Overhaul - There's no two ways about it, these guys were probably the awesomest thing in the entire expansion when it first came out. ...

Do you have any Suggestions for a revisit to Scorched Earth? Comment and discuss below if you do!

Adding normal saddles for the wyverns? I mean they would increase the armor and protection of the creature. Plus, imagine what the Pimp-My-Dino or the Saddle Emporium mods would do if they could play around with it!!! :D

11 hours ago, SpecTimsauru5 said:

The Lymantria really, really, REALLY, needs some TLC!!! its a giant moth! there are numerous possibilities. For instance (just random ideas) there could be:    (1) A 45% buff on stamina, speed, health when night time arrives.      (2) A really potent gas cloud that can knock you out... coming from streams of gas expelled from both ends.     (3) It could become aggressive at night and attack players who aren't in a base or tent, or have a tame to protect them. Then it would attack and take the clothes of the players away to eat and convert into silk at 1 cloth item to 4 silk(s).

Please, PLEASE, dont bring another flying pego to the game!! ?

Wyverns... Remodel and improved firing attacks, left click = single blasts, right click = continous stream + both have cross-hairs for accuracy and slight (15%) zoom in

Loved the single blast idea, like the poison one, but I think the both buttons should be left click. Single click for blast, hold for stream. Because the bite are still usefull at close range and you will not kill your tames accidentally with a blast (even with crosshair, because of AoE)

Adding normal saddles for the wyverns? I mean they would increase the armor and protection of the creature. Plus, imagine what the Pimp-My-Dino or the Saddle Emporium mods would do if they could play around with it!!! :D

+1 !!!

On 1/24/2019 at 12:22 AM, GeneralGibby said:

I’d love to see them add the mystical ThunderBird to SE, it would be like the Phoenix, but only appears during thunderstorms. One would have to tame it with a lightning, from a lightning Wyvern. I could see it being used to power generators and such.  :) 

Then they would be the mortal enemy of the phoenix (lore accurate!), that would be cool to see! :)

On 1/24/2019 at 3:22 AM, GeneralGibby said:

Oh about the generator, they could power it during thunderstorms! So it would be a nice alternative to have your generator always functional. Yeah, seems it's a beautiful and useful bird :) 

you know I have suggested most of the stuff you have already OP so i am 100% on board with this i just never thought to place most of it in SE but i really liked the idea about a water transmitter.  I've been saying for a long time that we need some sort of option to get us away from long janky pipes to rivers so that we can live in more interesting places. would make owning a industrial cooker viable living far away from water

• 1 month later...

What if they added a giant Camel-Spider/Sun-Spider/Wind-Scorpion/Solifugae to the sandy dunes for the desert. It would be a super fast mount that can run as fast or faster than a raptor, and be as equally lethal.

It could also shred through a victim that it grabs with its pedipalp arms, and maul them to a pulp with their powerful chelicerea jaws. It would be a neet edition I think. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add that the mantis needs some TLC as well. The primary thing I'd like to see is something to help them escape megatherium: a high jump that allows them a fast escape. Let them use their wings. Make it like the pteranadon roll insomuch as it is a really fast short jump but sucks stamina and can't be used for a few seconds in-between. Megatherium made using the mantis quite dangerous for what is really an entry level tame.

The next issue is that the tame is pretty much entry level for use on SE but requires being able to kill death worms to tame. I feel like an answer to this could be allowing taming them with spoiled meat but with lower taming efficiency.

Archived