breeding, levelling, truth...

Magueule

hi,

i need the experienve of poeples who spent a lot if time in breeding.

When i tamed a dino, do i need to go and gain xp with him before using him for breeding? is this increasing the chances to gain better stats or levels on the babies?

same when it is a dino issued from breeding, do i need to go for levelling before using him for breeding?

Thanks for your expetiences.

1 hour ago, Magueule said:

thanks a lot.

Some say that levelling your dinos before breeding increases the chance to get higher level when your baby borns...meaning more chance to take best stats from parents.

What is your experience with that? is this just superstition?

Nah. Pure superstition. 

But Taming effectiveness impacts breeding, so try to always kibble tame and avoid any kind of damage to the dino once knocked down. 

The answer is simply No.

But this is not entirely wrong.

2 hours ago, Magueule said:

thanks a lot.

Some say that levelling your dinos before breeding increases the chance to get higher level when your baby borns...meaning more chance to take best stats from parents.

What is your experience with that? is this just superstition?

The born dino always has more chance to get the higher stat from parents but you cannot affect it in any way so maybe the superstition comes from this.

to accurately see stats increase use the 'get lost' method

male - high health

female - high melee

(bred baby gets both stats)  - as a male 

(bred baby gets both stats) - as a female

ditch the mum n dad now.

bred brother and sister - stats will be identical in baby as parents unless mutation occurs.  +2 +4 +6 lv difference (3 mutations can happen with a baby.

always ditch the mum or dad matching the baby gender if baby mutates.

rinse and repeat until lv 378 babies pop.

imprint does not matter, gained levels after tame does not matter when breeding.

enjoy lv450 dinos.

Breed any higher and lose them as server restricts lv's past 450 and deletes them on official servers.

1 hour ago, Annaa said:

sounds eazy, but if you ditch mom or dad after each mutation, how you get to 378 as you will not have a clear side, or do i mis anything,

No. You dont miss anything. Most likely the poster above you either plays on High rate/unofficial server and never bothered with Loooooooooooooooooooooong breeding lines for desired stat(s) with LOTS of static clean females, or just breeds occasionally and in an inefficient way.

39 minutes ago, DarthaNyan said:

No. You dont miss anything. Most likely the poster above you either plays on High rate/unofficial server and never bothered with Loooooooooooooooooooooong breeding lines for desired stat(s) with LOTS of static clean females, or just breeds occasionally and in an inefficient way.

i already was afraid i was starting wrong, But yet i am just beginner

Below is my current understanding of how to breed for stat increases, someone correct me if I have any points wrong:

1. Tame a bunch of high leveled dinos, aiming to get ones that have high numbers in one of your desired stats, repeat until you have different dinos each with one really high desired stat
  2. Breed the dinos with the best stats together until you have a Male and Female with 0 mutations but with all the best stats from your tames
  3. Begin breeding these dinos together until you have a mutation in your desired stat, ideally a Male
    1. If not a male, breed that new mutated dino until it passes the high stat to a Male
  4. Separate this new mutated dino and breed it with a ton of random female dinos, hoping for another mutation in the desired stat
    1. Upon getting another mutation in that stat, breed the new baby until you have a Male with the new stat, then repeat step 4
  5. Go back to the original High Stat dinos and breed until you have a mutation in a different stat you want, now you have two breeding lines, each specializing in one stat
  6. When your two breeding lines are at an ideal stat range, you can cross the two together until you have an army that has both of the boosted stats
    1. do not use the army for further breeding, keep your separate breeding lines so you can continue to increase their individual stats
    2. the cross-bred army will be used entirely for Boss farming or other high-risk activities since you can mass-breed more at any time

The result of this is that the two or more breeding lines will always have the possibility for mutations, thus you can always have a chance to improve the stats of each line.  At the same time, you can always use the breeding rejects from these lines to cross-breed and get super boss dinos whenever you like without polluting the mutation pool. 

2 hours ago, Annaa said:

sounds eazy, but if you ditch mom or dad after each mutation, how you get to 378 as you will not have a clear side, or do i mis anything, 

Because the baby will have Mom and dad higher stat and 1 mutation is always 2 levels in any stat' each baby can have 3 random mutations at birth.

eg.. Mum and Dad are both lv 150 with identical stats.. they have a a baby... its lv 150 with identical stats. thats rubbish.

next time, Mum and Dad are lv 150 with identical stats.. they have a a baby... its lv 152! it mutated once and is a male! (keep him:)

next time, Mum and Dad are lv 150 with identical stats.. they have a a baby... its lv 152! it mutated once and is a female! (keep her)

now feed mummy and daddy to a giga as they done there deed. breed brother and sister until you get a baby that is 154 or more.

rinse and repeat... it is a long process but worth it.

5 hours ago, Paroxyde said:

Nah. Pure superstition. 

But Taming effectiveness impacts breeding, so try to always kibble tame and avoid any kind of damage to the dino once knocked down. 

Babies are born with the assumption of 100% effectiveness in terms of affinity bonuses. I know what you're trying to say, and the way you said it can be misleading.  Taming effectiveness only affects breeding insomuch as the effectiveness affects the level of the parents at tame. The effectiveness doesn't have any effect on the breeding itself, but the base stats of the parents before hand. 

I'm really new to breeding, but this advise above (Photonicles) seems bad? It's going to crank your mutation score way up with little stat gain to show for it. If you breed a 0/1 male with a 0/1 female your offspring is going to be a 1/1 with only one actual stat mutation. And it only gets worse if you go down that route.

From what I have figured out you need to breed a solid pair of siblings with identical (and ideal) stats. And you want to breed so that your mutation score is only following one parental lineage. I chose a "clean" patrilineal line, but I am on a modded server and don't need to gang breed females.

Then breed for 1 mutation (or 2 or 3 if you get really lucky). You will get dinos the exact same level as the parents until you get that mutation and the +2 level bump.

Breed this mutant back to it's parent looking for the next mutation. Now you are seeing a level range from the original parent to the mutants level (lets say 150 - 152). You are looking to get that mutant that comes out at 154.

Now this new mutant breeds back to the grandparent, and goes on ad nauseam adding +2 levels in baby dino level range each generation.

This level disparity is what makes it difficult (to me), and I haven't gotten that 4th mutation yet (still new, but it's been a slog).

My example breed:

I started with a wild caught 600 female and a wild caught 580 male (600 is our max dino level). and Ended with a pair of 915 siblings at 0/0 mutations.

Bred for mutations and got a 917 female. Levels range from 915-917 looking for mutant 919.

Bred her back to the 0/0 captive bred male.

Bred for mutations and got a 919 female. Levels range from 915-919 looking for mutant 921.

Bred her back to the 0/0 captive bred male.

Bred for mutations and got a 921 female.

Currently breeding her to the 0/0 captive bred male, looking for that 923 female. Levels are ranging from 915-921 (this is just going to get worse).

I figure I'll keep doing this as long as I can (to 20/0 mutations), then switch over to breeding the captive bred female to mutants male heirs. Keep your 0/0 baseline breeds!

The problem I see cropping up is dealing with the rising level disparity in my RNG rolls looking for that perfect bird with the +2 level mutation. My current program looks like the end birds are going to have to come out of a level pool of 915-955 just to get to 20/0 mutations. Ultimate goal of 20/20 will put those last birds into a pool of 915-995!

The other point to note is to track your mutations. I don't care about Food or Oxygen, and want Melee as a priority, so I euthanize subpar dinos even with certain mutations.

BTW, please feel free to critique, I'm still learning and would love to hear input about this.

Theblastmage explained it pretty well. You start with lot of knocking out 135+ Dino's to check their stats. I use Dododex to see how many points are in the stats. I could be off a little on this so maybe somebody can correct or confirm this but I'm pretty sure your looking for around 40 points in a stat. So say you knock out a Dino put his stats in dododex and find out he has 40 points on health tame it and name it 40health or something like that. Now go knock out more till you can find one with 40 points in melee, stamina etc and tame it. Hopefully you got lucky and tame a male and female first if not go looking for another one with a 40 point stat that you don't have. Once you have a male and female breed them and kill off anything that doesn't have the high stats of both parents. So say you breed your health and melee ones and get a baby/babies with the high stats of melee of one parent and the high stat of health from the other you would then take that baby once raised and breed it with the one with high stamina till you get the health and melee stats from baby/babies that you raised and the high stat of stamina from the tamed one. And keep going until your satisfied with stats then go for the mutations. Sorry tried to make it simple and I wrote you a book lol. Any hope this helps you understand a little bit on how super Dino's are created.?

2 hours ago, NedBeverage said:

BTW, please feel free to critique, I'm still learning and would love to hear input about this.

The problem with your method is that you are using one female to breed with mutated male. To make it more time efficient - tame (or breed) ALOT of new clean females of any level and mate your mutated male with all of them. Yes, it will be harder to notice a new mutation (you will have to check each and every baby) but you wont have to wait for breeding cooldown on females, or rather you will get more chances of new mutation with more babies being born that way. This method is primarily used when you breed for ONE particular stat, for example melee.

Seasoned breeders usually have a breeding line for each important stat and when the need arises - they combine those mutated lines into one fully mutated pair to breed the offspring (boss dinos).

Thanks for the reply DarthaNyan. I'm on a modded server though, our breeding times are ALOT faster. I can breed and hatch an egg in a little over 5 minutes (I think). It takes about an hour and a half to fill my 30 slot S+ nest.

The multiple lines might be too advanced for me right now, but let me see if I understand.

Let's say I want melee and HP. I breed one dino fully to 20/20 mutated melee and one to dino fully to 20/20 mutated HP. When I cross those lines the mutation counter would shoot to 40/20, but I would still get the full effects of the best stats from the parents!?! Oh man, if that right... OP! I'm going to have to look into this.

Thanks again DarthaNyan!

The multiple lines might be too advanced for me right now, but let me see if I understand.

Let's say I want melee and HP. I breed one dino fully to 20/20 mutated melee and one to dino fully to 20/20 mutated HP. When I cross those lines the mutation counter would shoot to 40/20, but I would still get the full effects of the best stats from the parents!?! Oh man, if that right... OP! I'm going to have to look into this.

There is more to it: as long as you continue to breed your mutated Male with clean females new mutations in same stat can still occur although with roughly half the chance if you are past the marker limit on one side. That means you can have 50 mutations in melee and 50 mutations in HP on top of the base amount of points and then combine such 2 lines. There is a 255 points cap in any individual stat - cannot go any higher and if by some reason you did they will reset upon server restart.

Thanks for the reply DarthaNyan. I'm on a modded server though, our breeding times are ALOT faster. I can breed and hatch an egg in a little over 5 minutes (I think). It takes about an hour and a half to fill my 30 slot S+ nest.

Can be 4-5 times faster should you start implementing more females (just breed some clean ones with same base stats as the main pair).

Breeding for mutations is just a game of numbers: the more attempts you do - the faster you get mutation in the stat you want.

Archived