RIP Velo's

Viperscopic

Better watch your ass around wild Velos now.  If they catch you unaware on a mount and you aren't paying attention...  They will kill your mount in seconds.  I took a wild-tame Managarmr out in the desert (it is now lvl 260 with 5.6k HP) and a level 35 Velo locked onto me when I was stopped gaining stam.  I didn't think anything of it, and that thing...  WRECKED that Managarmr, shooting off 2000 of my hitpoints in about 3-4 seconds.

Scared the poop out of me...  I thought "oh, its shooting at me, goofy VeloooOH MY GOD i gotta GTFO of here!"  I am now irrationally scared of Velos.  Later I took that same Managarmr to help a guy on server KO a wild 135 Velo...  in less than a minute with occasional patches of hitting me (in between me LOS'ing it behind a rock) it took me to ~35% fairly easily.  Absolutely tore up the guy trying to KO it:  He pursued on foot, the Velo locked onto him, and instantly detonated all of his gear and sent his body flying across the map.  Twice.  Tamed 'c'-attack mode seems to track hits a lot better too...

But be warned...  Don't mess with wild ones.  They might surprise you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 3:52 PM, LouSpowells said:

I'm glad they nerfed them. Velos were OP and most experienced players have been expecting a nerf since their release. It was fun while it lasted, but the days of plugging down the most powerful endgame creatures with a couple of velos in a matter of seconds are over. They're still extremely useful, just not devastatingly overpowered like they were.

From my perspective, WC had two options with them: Leave them the way they were and making them dramatically more difficult to tame like many other end-game dinos that matched their utility and damage output, or to reduce their damage to reflect their ease of locating and taming.

When I first heard about them I expected they would be on par with Carno damage output, but with a ranged attack rather than simply melee. I haven't tested numbers directly, but that's more what they feel like now. I think that's appropriate, but I hope they'll continue tweaking the balance to keep them competitive with other dinos that are similarly easily found and tameable.

I couldn't agree more, especially since they were better than turrets and the only farming you needed to do for bullets were meat runs.

We still use them in boss fights as fill, for ele vein defense, osd defense and they work out great, last rag alpha fight the velos handled the manticore almost on their own since that thing would never land for more than 2 seconds and only 2 of us had shotties.

• 8 months later...
49 minutes ago, vengin249 said:

lol bunch of morons velos still op after nerf you all just dont know how 2 use dinos 2 thier potential. start thinking outside your boxes you are stuck in and you will realize they are broken af still.

tell me what do u play on, official, unofficial. i have witnessed them on official servers. they are bout as usefull as a carno. the only reason why wc released new dinos in the new maps is to make you pay the price they want for the map. in reality they cant care less what happens to the dinos. they just figure we will make them as weak as the other weak tames. and now that wild ones are frankly more dangerous than tamed ones it is basicly the same thing as gigas. now when ever i see a wild velano it either run and i have to snipe it.

Archived