Community Crunch 160: Future of ARK & Console Patch Tomorrow!

Jen

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

Future of ARK!

large.1444839882_ARKBabyDinos.jpg

Given the ATLAS announcement, I wanted to stop by and share some additional insight into where we’re at and where we’re headed with ARK over the next few months!

The ARK team is as big as it’s ever been. It’s made up of key members behind ARK (Early Access, Scorched Earth, and Aberration), hires from the mod community (Prim+, The Center, and Ragnarok), and seasoned veterans with experience working on a variety of other games and MMOs. TLC2, ARKaeology, Extinction Chronicles, Small Tribes, Enforcement, and of course, Extinction were built with this team. One of the more exciting things to us is that we’ve found ways to bring new wrinkles and ideas to ARK while continuing to refine and expand on the things that made it a hit - from the dynamic components of the ARKaeology event to the brand new mechanics created for Orbital Supply Drops and tameable Titans from Extinction.

Currently, the ARK team is hard at work resolving issues introduced with Extinction - item bugs, creature balance (including Titans and Meks), OSD balance, console graphical quality and stability, and issues related to the DevKit. In addition, we’ve carved out key members of the team to tackle long-standing desires, starting with the integration of Structures Plus and the rework of the Kibble tree. A few other members of the team are tackling Winter Wonderland and the awaited return of Raptor Claus due next week. As we wrap up this wave of work, more and more members of the ARK team will be moving on to tackling quality of life issues and bugs.

We love ARK as much as you do and are very excited for all of the possibilities that lay before us. Heading into the new year we will begin to plan out what's next and determine what the best steps are for the game from a content perspective. Rest assured, whether it's more TLC, new DLC, new mechanics, or new modes we will be continuing to support ARK through 2019. Beyond that, we’re starting early discussions internally about what the next generation of ARK could look like, but it’s too early to talk about that here.

We’d like to thank everyone for their long-standing support and we look forward to the adventure ahead!

Keep on surviving,
Chris Willoughby
Lead Programmer

Console Patch Tomorrow!

large.ExtinctionT3_final.jpg

Console survivors, we have exciting news! Tomorrow at 10am PST there will be a Xbox and PS4 patch. Here is the long list of changed and patch notes coming to your console very soon:

Managarmr

• Improved Managarmr's ice breath accuracy
  • Buffed Managarmr stamina regen slightly
  • Managarmr babies can now be trained to behave better
  • Managarmr babies will no longer lose patience 100% of the time when following

Velonasaur

• Velonasaur will no longer hit the area underneath large dinosaurs
  • Velonasaur head whip should no longer harvest bodies
  • Fix issue with spines not always appearing on non authoritative clients
  • Velonasaur head whip no longer shoots through walls
  • Fix Velonasaur spines shooting through shields
  • Velonasaur now grounds flyers a little faster

Corrupt Dinos

• Corrupted Wyverns will despawn if they get too far from a completed Element Vein or Orbital Supply Drop
  • Fade out corrupt dinos when teleporting
  • Corrupt Dinos will de-prioritize flier targets, or targets based on fliers
  • Corrupt Dinos deal more damage to Tek Shields

Titans

• Titans despawn timer checks only regard players within the arena
  • Potential fix for increasing timer after long cooldown scenarios
  • Remove cooldown in singleplayer
  • Increase starvation time for Titans (~30m to ~ just over an hour)
  • Consuming Kibble will not increase food for Titans

Desert Titan

• Prevent flocks from being able to hit through buildings/terrain
  • Prevent encumbered players from moving on Desert Titan
  • Flocks will now dismount riders (during the boss fight)

Forest Titan

• Fix for Forest Titan hitting things thru ground terrain
  • Forest Titan arena wyverns take damage from forest titans
  • Clean up trees after Forest Titan is despawned

Crashes

• Fix for crash caused by garbage collected replicated properties
  • Fix server crash when running DumpDinoStats cheat as a spectator
  • Fixed server crash related to Forest Titan and damage numbers
  • Fixed crash related to killing an Argent in Primitive Plus

Mek

• Fix for Mek occasionally consuming 1x element when not refueling
  • Improved accuracy of sword in all scenarios
  • Prevent the Reequip button from allowing spyglass use while riding the Mek

Structures+ Integration

• Can pick structures up within 30s of placing
  • Exclusions:
    • Charge Lantern
    • C4
    • Elevator Platforms
    • Elevator Tracks
    • Electric Generator
    • Grill
    • Industrial Forge
    • Industrial Grinder
    • Chem Bench
    • Fabricator
    • Tek Generator
    • Tek Replicator
    • Tek Transmitter

Enforcers

• Reduce damage taken from corrupted dinos by 60%

Connection

• Reduced disconnects

Localization

• Updated loc strings from CrowdIn
  • Fixed bug that breaks Cryopod, Managarmer, etc. outside of English

Rock Drake:

• Resurrect Tek Rockdrake saddle

CryoPod

• Report cryo freezing to tribe log

Snow Owl

• Owl is now much better at actually hitting things with their melee attacks

Gasbags

• Gasbags is now much better at actually hitting things with their melee attacks
  • Allow the rider to fish from Gasbags

Element Vein

• Fixed replication issue with secondary element vein colors

Orbital Supply Drops

• Crate shields take damage from Projectiles/other damage sources again

Delivery Crate

• Engrams no longer count towards delivery crate weight

Maps

• Non-crater forest Redwoods will no longer take damage and fall

Gacha

• Fix for Gacha sadness not resetting in SP
  • Fix for dummy items getting left in Gacha inventory

Robots

• Set Gnashed attack to not affect robots (allo bleed attack)

Extinction

• Disable flyers in Forest Titan artifact cave

We also have a PC patch planned for later this week. Stay tuned to our Twitter account for more updates on that as the week goes on.

Fanart of the Week!

94ECEC73A84CF7B960F6802A4B8D0339FAFCD9C8

Managarmr by enderdragon540!

Evolution Event!

large.large.EvoEvent.png.eeb58694dd9d4cb

Survivors on all platforms will be receiving a special Evolution Event perk this weekend! It will be active from Friday the 14th of December at 1 PM EST until Monday the 17th of December at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

2x Harvesting Rates
2x Taming Rates
2x EXP Rates

That's it for this post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

View full article

Will this update fix the issue where servers are not showing up on the official servers list? Xbox Small tribes 29 as well as many other servers have disappeared from the list and can only be joined if someone who is in the server invites you. This has been an ongoing problem for days and no one has addressed it! Please let us know!

Great news on the further content I was a bit worried as ATLAS does not look like my cup of tea.

On the exception to the pick up rule can we get a server option to get rid of those or just not have those as exceptions as I often find myself putting some of those very Items in bad places and would love to be able to pick them up and readjust as oppose to rebuilding a whole new tek generator or industrial forge.

Edited by HyperionOmega
Spelling

33 minutes ago, HyperionOmega said:

Great news on the further content I was a bit worried as ATLAS does not look like my cup of tea.

On the exception to the pick up rule can we get a server option to get rid of those or just not have those as exceptions as I often find myself putting some of those very Items in bad places and would love to be able to pick them up and readjust as oppose to rebuilding a whole new tek generator or industrial forge.

I agree with everything you said. In addition a server option to disable pick up timer please. This could really help with pve clutter, as I think people would be much more willing to pickup structures they don't need as opposed to destroying them. Things like taming traps tend to be scattered everywhere, for me this hinders the immersion in pve.

Please add furniture/decorations! More base items to make the place actually look like a home, I love building village's but there's next to no items for decoration...prim+ brought some to the plate but I don't have no luck with keeping a prim+ server because it's usually broken..Please add more items!

ark needs a new PVP system. something like a "limited time for pvp" .. or  a "protection system that you can activate for some hours" .. or anything that makes the "offline raid" a bit harder. for example : increase turrets dmg when all the tribe members are offline. 
specially the small tribes. its like "stay awake to win". 
its really difficult to play on PVP servers. (all you need to raid any base is = quetz+golem.) 
+ you have to think about the new players too. they cant build a thatch base without getting raided. 
--

and you have to delete or fix the prim plus servers .. takes ages to join any prim server. 

So I know that you guys are saying you want to focus on the December update but if you guys are to do a TLC 3 what creatures do you have in mind 

Also if you guys ever get a chance any way the dodo and phiomia can get a new look and uses like no one uses them and I think they should be more useful as well as the dolphin scorpion spider and frog

But what aninals do you have in mind for the next TLC 3