Today in Ark - Unexpected turn of events.

baronbowden

So long and short been playing pretty heavily with a small group for last few weeks.  All of us new except one or two guys with some exp who started over to hang with us.  PVP server.

We started on the Island,  recruited some new friends and seemed like we were establishing a legit presence.  So our first base had turrets walls etc etc, and some griefers on Wyverns showed up and just destroyed everything, without even bothering to take the loot.  So blown into the stone age.

W/E we have new knowledge, we restart a new location same server.  This time we don't mess around, we literally just farm bullets and guns.  Had something like 10 argys that we used for metal runs with ankys and assorted other worthless tames.  Couple rexes.  80 turrets including 20ish plants.

Today the server gets invaded.  It starts with what seems like a Wyvern giving us some grief, but we figure OK we have handled one or two of these before lets see how it goes.  Only 2 of us are online.  Next thing we know some Steggo comes charging up the hill and the turrets arn't even scratching this thing.  The guy is with his steggo so I figure ok let it soak some of the 10000 ammo we have in the area, I'm going to find his wyvern and mess it up.  It dies.  We are laughing thinking enjoy your steggos now we have like 10 argys to use, this sucker is a goner.

Fast forward 2-3 hrs later, we have exhausted all of our ammo, are naked using tranq arrows (what we had left) trying to bring down the third steggo.  I even manage at one point to get some c4 on it.. it lives..  The guy has turrets built somehow and is literally crushing us with maybe 3 bullets a pop since all our armour is broken and gone.  I have one argy in reserve and 2 rexes, figure ok just gotta get his damn beds or at least get this steggo.  It lived, and laughed at my rexes as they died.

We are down to dodos but out of c4 to throw them with, arrows obviously arn't doing a thing.  So we call it and congratulate the guy on his well earned win and open the doors, asking if he will leave us our means of production at least.

He comes in, maybe took a couple bullets, and then hung out with us for an hour or two giving us advice on how to better set up the base, left us some gear, rode us around on his Wyvern for fun and thanked us for putting up our hopeless fight.

All told we lost 30ish tames or more, some important some just because they were there.  8000ish rounds of ammo expended.  We managed to kill a Wyvern a couple steggos, trike or two and somehow a griffin (didnt even know it was there).  

A week of grinding bullets kinda hurts for 2-3 hrs of fun but what fun it was!  Just wish more of us had been online to experience it. 

Also wish the guy who came along an hour later when we were out of bullets and tames to farm mats with hadn't walked in and blown up the production room; without even looting us... Oh ark.

I know it went on a bit, but it's more that he wasn't mean at all, he was looking for fun.  Until today every single raider has just destroyed everything for giggles, and always when we are offline.  This was the first cool guy who was actually fun.

And then an hour later a real jerk came along and did the normal and trashed everything just because.

3 minutes ago, baronbowden said:

I know it went on a bit, but it's more that he wasn't mean at all, he was looking for fun.  Until today every single raider has just destroyed everything for giggles, and always when we are offline.  This was the first cool guy who was actually fun.

And then an hour later a real jerk came along and did the normal and trashed everything just because.

Well, thats PvP for you. They can be jerks, but if it means wiping "threat" off, they will do it with no regards to honor.

Oh man I didnt even think of the grief christmas would bring.

When ya get the weapons and ammo free, you dont value what you lost!   I do think ark is missing the balance though.  The cost of blowing up production facilities (grinders forges chem benches etc) should be drastically drastically higher.  

Game would probably have way better player retention too if 90% of raids didn't end in full and hard resets.

Archived