Total noob here, any recommendations?

DoriSai

So my dad got me the full Ark and all dlc, never played it before and while it looks cool it's a bit daunting for me.  I typically play story heavy solo RPGs of various types and the most exploratory type games I've played were things like Skyrim and Terraria and the only farm/raising critters games I've played were Viva Pinata and Slime Rancher mostly for the soothing adorable cuteness factor.  I generally play on default/medium/average settings for these types of games, and rarely do I play any games with coop or online play enabled.  My dad wants to play with me, which is fine, but I'd also like to have a game just for myself to explore and learn on my own because learning to play a new game with someone who's been playing for a long time is super anxiety inducing for me.  Also, I don't want to totally sink all my time into this game... I'm in between jobs and without a vehicle out in the boonies at the moment so I have plenty of free time but I also play and run D&D games... And while my jobs are limited locally I might get a call for an interview at any time.

Tl;Dr: noob, don't wanna let this game totally consume me, wanna learn how to play in solo, game kinda scares me a bit but looks cool enough to try, typically consider myself average skill level for games, any recommended settings?

If you play singleplayer then you can adjust your EXP, gathering, breeding and raise times. For someone who doesnt want to lose their life to ARK like the rest of us, this is probably your best bet. 

There are many different play throughs and its up to you how you play. You might want to design the biggest baddest base or maybe get a line of killer rexes. The game allows for you to do whatever you want and I would suggest to just give it a go, and see how you fare - dont worry about trying out specific things - just make a start by building a small base and taming some start dinos like an iguanadon, pteranodon, argy and maybe a raptor or two.

It all starts from there... after that, do whatever looks cool to you :)

Honestly, I think you'll enjoy playing solo (when you do host local). You can play with the settings and make taming and do go to your pace. Along with many more adjustable settings. Plus, you dont need to worry about your dinos dying of hunger or getting killed by others while you are offline. It all halts when you logg off. You just do your thing, whatever you'd like really! Like other comments I've seen, you can find and build yourself the coolest biggest base, tame the nicest looking dinos and build an army. Explore around and all. There is a main goal to end the game, but usually I just strive to make my own little place in the worlds lol and tame lots of my favourite dinos xD 

DoriSai my suggestions are as followed;

If you don't want to play this game for half your life, as some of us like to. Don't play official pvp servers, if you are not in main tribe on the server everything you do will be gone in a day. I would find a good server first, learn their tame rates, harvest rates, etc. This way if you wish to play around and learn certain thing in single player you can based on what you are going to play on. If you wish to watch YouTube videos make sure you watch current videos, this game has changed a lot.  When leveling don't waste your points on things you can get blueprints for most of these include, saddles, metal tools, weapons (pike, sword, guns, bow, crossbow). Attributes  wise, get your weight to 150 first, then health to 150, stamina 150, the startback on weight and follow the list, I go straight for 300 or you can go to 200, that is your choice. After those stats are 300 get 200 oxygen, 150 food and water, 150 melee damage. I don't put any points into speed, or crafting. After this put the remaining points into health and damage. 

Dino wise try and tame max levels all the time, the only exception I make is if it is for eggs only,  yes this will be hard but well worth it.  Also download the phone app dododex, it helps with taming a lot, just make sure to know the servers taming rates. 

Lastly watch this, note start at video 10 and work your way to 1.

After that I think this will be a great start guide for you. Pm me on here if you have a questions, I will be glad to help. 

9 hours ago, Jacira said:

Play Single Player, without the multiplayer aspect you might get bored of it eventually and without real-time servers running 24/7 - That is, your game stops progressing when you log out. You might still be able to keep somewhat of a life....

Unlike us... *squints at the sun before closing the blinds*

Lies, there is no sun.

I started a week or so ago, and on PVP.  Honestly the thrill is way way sweeter in pvp, and I have been wiped multiple times.  Put a safe with stuff you want somewhere off the beaten path bottom of the ocean, and upload your best dinos to the ARK, and the sting isn't toooo bad early on.

After a few weeks if PVP isn't your thing you can always softcore.  I would suggest finding a good group, once you are working with 2-5 people things are drastically faster and more gratifying, especially tame trapping.  

I've been screwing around in a few empty pve servers for a few hours now, mostly trying to learn how the game works I guess, kinda getting annoyed spawning trapped inside a fortress all the time though.  My very first attempt I found a noob friendly area, even had an in progress noob shelter.  After I died once I haven't been able to find it again though lol.  I'm definitely confused about a lot of things but I'm starting to get the hang of running and dying a lot.  Still pretty sure I wanna go with a solo server though now that I've tested the waters.  I'll check out those videos too.  Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll prolly pop back in here or there.

PS: I'm pretty antisocial, so without a close crew of friends (and aside from my dad the only person I know that plays is on steam) it's extremely rare that I enjoy playing with people, anything.  The only MMOs I enjoyed were when I had a few friends who played with me, and it was more enjoying hanging out with my small group than it was enjoying the game for me.  It was a glorified group chat after AIM chatrooms vanished and before they became popularized on Facebook and junk.

On 12/7/2018 at 5:46 PM, RipMoFo said:

that stupid ball of fire that ruins every night!

This thread is awesome!  But anyway to answer some SP questions, mainly try the game out in your own single player, adjust the settings to your own specific playing style.  Just have a go on the Island, the best starting point, and the one that all of us "veterans from the Early Access Days" started on.  run around tame dinos, or don't build a base, but do as much trial and error as you can, because learning on a single player game is a lot easier and more forgiving than on Official PVP or PVE Servers.  Best of luck to you.

FYI - The Sun is just a big ball of burning gas....Nothing More!

Sounds like you would enjoy the single player option to practice the game mechanics while being able to spawn some stuff in and get tames a little faster. And maybe join a PvE server with your dad before making the leap to PvP. That way you can experience other players before they have the ability to be hostile. 

I'd say step out of your comfort zone, confront that anxiety, and play with your dad.

This is a sandbox, no quests, no npcs, just what you want to make of it. Probably a better experience with someone you know as they can kinda be your quest giver, and you can be theirs (not in a rp way, but just kind of like "hey what do you want to do today"). There are a lot of single players out there though.

I would suggest you ask your dad to start over somewhere, that way you can learn from the ground up.

Id recommend you and your dad set up a private dedicated server in home. Flip it on when needed, setup is not too bad.

Friends can be invited as they are found.

Id recommend trying "default" settings at first. If you like rpgs the default settings arent likely to bother you as you're familiar with extended build up sessions.

As a general point of reference, i play (slowly) with default settings and STILL level WAY faster than i progress; for example i just unlocked the metal tier of buildings but im still planning out how to get a dino that farms the previous tier resources. And even after I get one it'll require many hours of farming to complete that tier.

Archived