Jump to content
Jen

What's Next: Structures Plus & Kibble Rework

Recommended Posts

Happy Tuesday, Survivors!

It's PC patch day and we've got two exciting things to chat about that we are currently working on.

Structures Plus:

Now that Extinction has been officially released, the team will be dedicating some time to the integration of Structures Plus. Pulling S+ into ARK's already existing structure system without causing issues with current structures is very important to us. There are also many features that exist in S+ that we cannot integrate into official servers without taking into consideration the impact on game balance.

The plan is to integrate S+ on a feature by feature basis, prioritizing features that are compatible with the official game. We may integrate additional features gated by options for unofficials as time permits. 

Our first bit of integration starts immediately in today’s PC patch where we introduce the ability to pick up undamaged structures for free if it was placed in the last 30 seconds. You can pick up a placed structure by looking directly at the structure and pressing the interact key (E). This change will be included in the next patch for console, due later this week.

Kibble Rework:

RecipeKibble_Icon.png

Extinction's kibble setup (known as Augmented Kibble) was phase one of our kibble rework. We are currently in the process of assigning these new kibble types to all of the remaining ARK creatures across all maps. 

All eggs will be assigned a value based on the size and rarity of the egg. These sizes include: Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Special. The eggs are then used in a recipe to create kibble of a coinciding value: Basic, Simple, Regular, Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary. This new system will make it so that creature kibble desires are based on the quality levels instead of specific creatures.

We plan to introduce these changes on an experimental beta branch before letting it loose into the wild population at a later date. We’re excited to tackle this much needed rework!

NOTE: These plans are subject to change.


View full article

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 Seconds really? Why have a limit at all? The game already has enough grind in it. I am not sure how I feel about the Kibble rework. I know it will positively affect the egg farms needed but it also dumbs down the gameplay. The majority of dino's will become useless unless TLC's are done for all of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Structures update:
Awesome feature, good work.

Kibble update:
Also sounds great but not anything that should be taking priority over bug fixes.

 

Players were promised in yesterdays community crunch some details of what dev's are currently working on.. Is this really it? There's no info here regarding any extinction bug fixes? Are there none on the to-do list at all?

Edited by PrirodaWw
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest chancho33015

I have to see it to believe it...2 years have passed since this was mentioned. Also, 30 seconds just to pick it up...lame. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cinnamongod said:

30 Seconds really? Why have a limit at all? The game already has enough grind in it. I am not sure how I feel about the Kibble rework. I know it will positively affect the egg farms needed but it also dumbs down the gameplay. The majority of dino's will become useless unless TLC's are done for all of them.

1

I imagine the time limit is there so it's more of a convenience thing, so say you put something on the wrong snap point you can pick it back up, or if you're trying to align something. Also, Let's be honest. Being able to build an entire fortress and then moving it at no resource penalty would just be OP.

 

As for the kibble rework, if those dinos only use was to sit around and make eggs to tame other dinos, they where already useless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good news but why limit S+ pickup to 30 seconds? Many things in this game should be able to be picked up and placed again. Certain things I can understand but not most things. Extinction also needs more optimisation, it's a lagfest on official servers last I checked, and would love to be able to transfer. If this is because of PvP balance, which I suspect it usually is, then balance PvP separately. Stop restricting PvE based on PvP issues.

Edited by Ixels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish you guys would rename Basic, Simple, Regular, Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary kibble to just Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Special  

It would be a lot more concise and make a lot more sense in-game and when talking to other people when you need kibble made. The difference between the words Basic and Simple or Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary is overly confusing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Umber0010 said:

I imagine the time limit is there so it's more of a convenience thing, so say you put something on the wrong snap point you can pick it back up, or if you're trying to align something. Also, Let's be honest. Being able to build an entire fortress and then moving it at no resource penalty would just be OP.

 

As for the kibble rework, if those dinos only use was to sit around and make eggs to tame other dinos, they where already useless.

OP has been getting thrown around too much lately. It is not OP to have to tare down an entire base, hours and hours, only to have to rebuild it elsewhere, more hours and hours. Even with the ability to pick up structures if you do it wrong the all the above or below pieces get destroyed. A new terrain will not accommodate a building built somewhere else. So you will most likely have to produce like 25% new pieces anyway to adapt it to the new area.

My mention of dino's being useless is not in the respect of the specific dinos that are being used for eggs obviously. The entire type of dino no matter how good stat wise will become useless.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SpyroDragon said:

why the kibble rework? it was fine the way it was. wth everything else tho awesome!

Instead of 50 different types of dinos for 50 different types of kibble and requiring giant egg farms *for each tribe* you can just have 6 types of dinos in your egg farm (and chances are your general breeders will be giving you eggs you can use -- further reducing that).

Anything that reduces the number of useless dinos we need sitting around is a plus and likely better for server performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SpyroDragon said:

why the kibble rework? it was fine the way it was. wth everything else tho awesome!

It was not just fine the way it was. Needing to get creatures that have no real uses other than their eggs for kibbles, like the scorpion which is needed for rexes, is rather annoying and not fun.
Having it like this, where eggs from a group of creatures can be used, will remove (or severely reduce) the number of worthless creatures you have sitting around laying eggs.

It also helps with the tame cap issue. If you need less dinos lying around, it'll be much easier to manage your tame cap since you don't need to tame those things or you could just cryopod them instead of leaving them there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brybry said:

I wish you guys would rename Basic, Simple, Regular, Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary kibble to just Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Special  

It would be a lot more concise and make a lot more sense in-game and when talking to other people when you need kibble made. The difference between the words Basic and Simple or Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary is overly confusing.choose files... Click to choose files

 

I second this, knowing what egg to get (im guessing by weight) would make this so much better

Edited by quartzdragonfire

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DuoMogAgain said:

Please add an option for unofficial servers to remove the 30 second limit on picking up structures.

Also please allow unofficials to pickup all items (generators, fabricators, etc).?

I like this suggestion. I would like a multiplier config for the timer as well, including option to remove the pickup timer completely, as well as no timer (always pickup-able).

3 minutes ago, Brybry said:

I wish you guys would rename Basic, Simple, Regular, Superior, Exceptional, and Extraordinary kibble to just Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, Extra Large, and Special 

I agree with this. I want the new kibble method to be available to be "made" and usable on all maps, not just limited to DLC owners or traders (there are players out there who dont trade with anyone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DuoMogAgain said:

Please add an option for unofficial servers to remove the 30 second limit on picking up structures.

Also please allow unofficials to pickup all items (generators, fabricators, etc).

Otherwise: I can't express how brilliant it is to see the S+ features appearing in Vanilla Ark.  You've made my day ?

Ditto. Would love to see these types of options available for unofficial. Cant beleive its finally happening lol.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest LadyValkyrie

Can we get Triangular foundation/ceiling pieces soon for building? This is exciting

Also happy about the kibble rework! will help massively reduce tame cap

 

ONLY PROBLEM.. is Scorched earth has no way to get prime fish meat.. we have no sabertooth salmon. Unless you add it as a spawn

Edited by LadyValkyrie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TinyHippo said:

It was not just fine the way it was. Needing to get creatures that have no real uses other than their eggs for kibbles, like the scorpion which is needed for rexes, is rather annoying and not fun.
Having it like this, where eggs from a group of creatures can be used, will remove (or severely reduce) the number of worthless creatures you have sitting around laying eggs.

It also helps with the tame cap issue. If you need less dinos lying around, it'll be much easier to manage your tame cap since you don't need to tame those things or you could just cryopod them instead of leaving them there.

I agree that there are positive aspects to this change but you do realize this will make the majority of dinos pointless. The types not just the ones being used for eggs currently. Also alot of the games beginning progression will be gone because of this. You could not just tame a Queztal or Mosa without taming previous types of dinos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...