Extinction Lacking in Endgame Tames.

Writhes

Aberration had Rock Drakes, Basilisks, Reapers, and various aberrant dinos. Even Scorched Earth had Rock Elementals and Wyverns alongside the more casual tames like moths and morrelotops. All of these things gave players a decent way to spend time on that DLC.

Extinctions tames all feel very casual outside of titans and titans aren't really something that can offer a time sink in endgame dinos. Honestly, not having worthwhile endgame tames that are difficult to breed or tame feels like a huge waste in opportunity to me and kills the longevity of this new DLC.

Extinction needs new possibilities. Even something stupid like being able to breed smaller normalized versions of titans would be ok with me. Really anything that can give people a way to spend more time on extinction outside of killing/taming titans...

Compared to SE and AB, Extinction definitely makes up in lore for lacking in new creatures. I would argue Mana's are hard to tame (since the only 2 I got were from the hover glitch before it was patched), but they are fragile and not great mounts for end game things. I do enjoy the creatures we have and their unique-ness to them, but I feel like more could have been added to replace some of the originals, like paras and raptors. Aberration has by far the best new creatures count considering its lore. I truly feel like the devs pushed Extinction out too quickly without considering more unique creatures that had to survive the dying Earth (Like creatures not made from the system and instead native to Earth that had evolved over time). 

8 hours ago, QueenCorgi said:

Compared to SE and AB, Extinction definitely makes up in lore for lacking in new creatures. I would argue Mana's are hard to tame (since the only 2 I got were from the hover glitch before it was patched), but they are fragile and not great mounts for end game things. I do enjoy the creatures we have and their unique-ness to them, but I feel like more could have been added to replace some of the originals, like paras and raptors. Aberration has by far the best new creatures count considering its lore. I truly feel like the devs pushed Extinction out too quickly without considering more unique creatures that had to survive the dying Earth (Like creatures not made from the system and instead native to Earth that had evolved over time). 

If you think SE and Aberration lacked in lore, then you didn't read the explorer notes.  There is a ton of lore involved with both of those.  I've said many times that the most creative thinkers on wild card's team are the writers.  The events that transpired on SE and Aberration (Aberration specifically), IMO, are far more interesting and well thought out than the Island.  

In regards to end-game creatures, the Mek is supposed to fill that gap.  I do feel it's a bit underwhelming for the role it's supposed to play, though.  What's even more disappointing is that you are required to have the tekgram for the replicator before you can make your own.  And yes, the level 51 engram Mek is pretty "meh".  It's enough to take down the titans, but that's about it.  The higher level Meks, though, are quite nice, when used right.  Reapers are by far my favorite creature to have, but the Mek isn't bad.  Again,  I DO feel it's underwhelming for the Extinction pinnacle creature.

*Edit* I personally wish WC would have taken this opportunity to put Griffins on an official map.  Extinction would be quite nice for a griffin.  Yes, the owls have the same flight mechanics, but they fill a totally different role than a Griffin does.  (Owls are basically medics, while Griffins are cavalry.)

• Velonasaurs
  • Snow Owls
  • Magmananaaaarasrrsrarsrrassa
  • Gachas
  • Enforcers
  • Meks

6 new and fun dinos to go out and get.

• OSD's 
  • Caves
  • Corrupted

Definitely things to get on with.

End game tames... its pretty much end game and they dont want to give you too much of a helping hand. Get a Rex line (dont bring over from other servers when its open) and see how far you get. Gigas as usual but that is all the help you are going to get  - its extinction for a reason.

20 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Why does everyone have such trouble with this word?  It's pronounced exactly like it looks: Mah nah Gar` mer

I can understand people having trouble properly pronouncing wyvern, because not everyone knows the etyomology of that word, and it contains a letter that has several different pronunciations based on the origin of the word (and most people get that wrong), but Managarmr doesn't.  I'm sure the R at the end throws some people off, but it's a common thing in nordic languages.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Why does everyone have such trouble with this word?  It's pronounced exactly like it looks: Mah nah Gar` mer

I can understand people having trouble properly pronouncing wyvern, because not everyone knows the etyomology of that word, and it contains a letter that has several different pronunciations based on the origin of the word (and most people get that wrong), but Managarmr doesn't.  I'm sure the R at the end throws some people off, but it's a common thing in nordic languages.

It's nothing to do with pronunciation, as that would be all about the spoken word.

People write spammy names because it's probably the hardest or weirdest spelt creature to remember how to write for some people, which is nothing to do with pronunciation.

Take your forum name as a prime example where people wouldn't easily remember the order of every letter, so they'd just spam bangagaguyuguguy or something like that.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Except that practically every youtuber and player I've had in voice chat struggles to pronounce that word.  I'm not JUST referencing the post I quoted, but almost everyone I've come across in general.

Well it probably comes down to the simple facts that either people haven't heard how it is meant to be pronounced, which lets be honest its not an easy one to determine how it is truely pronounced, or it's just laziness because when people speak of the creature its not important to get the name right because people will know which creature they are talking about.

1 hour ago, Anarki said:
  • Velonasaurs
  • Snow Owls
  • Gachas
  • Enforcers

Everything here can be tamed at max level on official settings under an hour.

1 hour ago, Anarki said:
  • Meks

I'm fine with the requirement to craft Meks in the tek rep and how "weak" they are compared to upgraded ones.

However, I'm still not satisfied that many of the new items such as the crypods requires the rep to be crafted.... we are talking about a low level item there. Enforcers can be crafted in the rep AND the city terminal (which is by definition a rep).

1 hour ago, Anarki said:
  • OSD's 
  • Caves
  • Corrupted

Caves are hardly worth doing as the drops tends to be far worst than OSDs.
OSDs are fun but the legendary ones are a waste of time in terms of ressources invested vs rewards.
Corrupted have never been a challenge if you know how to build, where to build, etc.
Titans are extremely easy to kill/tame for how powerful they are.

Aberration is still #1 in my book.
Regards.

End game for Extinction is finding good mek and tek gear bps and making them. The normal mek is pretty crap, but apprentice and higher ones are awesome. 

I'm curious - does the level of the mek matter when you combine them to form megamek? If not then having 4 normal meks would be the way to go for that obviously...

I'm also curious about that latest enforcer buff - is an ascendant enforcer good enough to take into a red OSD fight now?

I'd say meks > Rock Drake's and titans > reapers. 

Although managamr are more similiar and better than rock Drake's imo.

The added OSD, Element Veins, and King Titan are fine for End Game.

Let alone there are still Rexes, Gigas, and other tames to be had. Have you tried defending a sleeping Giga against corrupted in the area.. have fun.

55 minutes ago, Flashock said:

I'd say meks > Rock Drake's and titans > reapers. 

Although managamr are more similiar and better than rock Drake's imo.

The added OSD, Element Veins, and King Titan are fine for End Game.

Let alone there are still Rexes, Gigas, and other tames to be had. Have you tried defending a sleeping Giga against corrupted in the area.. have fun.

Completely apples:oranges there.  It'd be more appropriate to compare reapers to meks and titans to titanosaurs.  In this regard, reapers every day over meks.  Titans for sure over titanosaurs.

4 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

It's more fun to type manangngnrnrmamnrngnrnarnr. It's a name that's more fun to screw up than say correctly...like paraceratherariarium...or Bentdik Cucumberpatch. I've been calling them Manamanas lately. (Doo doo, duh doo doo...manamana...doo doo doo doo...manamana...)

Called them managars for a while until someone pointed out it can be easily misconstrued for a different and slightly more offensive phrase. 

5 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

If you think SE and Aberration lacked in lore, then you didn't read the explorer notes.  There is a ton of lore involved with both of those.  I've said many times that the most creative thinkers on wild card's team are the writers.  The events that transpired on SE and Aberration (Aberration specifically), IMO, are far more interesting and well thought out than the Island.  

In regards to end-game creatures, the Mek is supposed to fill that gap.  I do feel it's a bit underwhelming for the role it's supposed to play, though.  What's even more disappointing is that you are required to have the tekgram for the replicator before you can make your own.  And yes, the level 51 engram Mek is pretty "meh".  It's enough to take down the titans, but that's about it.  The higher level Meks, though, are quite nice, when used right.  Reapers are by far my favorite creature to have, but the Mek isn't bad.  Again,  I DO feel it's underwhelming for the Extinction pinnacle creature.

Perhaps my phrasing gave off the wrong message so I apologize, but I didn't mean that AB and SE were lacking. Simply that for the amount of new creatures we got, the lore was upheld just as well as the new unique abilities of the tames. Extinction definitely feels a bit disappointing, but if one does read through all the explorer notes then the lore kinda makes up for the fewer new tames/abilities. The mek probably could have been pieced together better in terms of design and such, but for what we got it isn't too bad.

5 hours ago, Migol said:

Because the name of the game in extinction is Gigas.    Those are as hardcore a tame and breeding target as you can get.

Gigas are an endgame tame no matter what map they're on purely for their sheer size and difficulty taking/keeping down to tame. But since they've been released they've nerfed tamed gigas over 7 times making them only good for chomping weak bases down for a good 5 minutes or distracting other wild gigas while you get away. They can get killed by a horde of corrupted gigas so easily, regardless if imprinted. Plus if the spawns on the map weigh more for corrupted gigas, then normal wild ones are few and far in between. At least, only 2 ever spawn on my map (personal server with no mods affecting spawns) and they're almost always low levels. I've been breeding them like crazy just to see how long they last in the Blood Mountain (or whatever the King Titan entry is called) and they all were killed by corrupted gigas before I could reach the end of a path. Seeing the giga as an end game tame for this map really just depends on your personal preference and sheer luck at this point.

6 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

Its a meme... Lol

Anarki is more than educated enough to pronounce it.

23 hours ago, Writhes said:

Even Scorched Earth had Rock Elementals and Wyverns alongside the more casual tames like moths and morrelotops.

Extinction has Moths, Camels and Rock Elementals, add to that all the creatures mentioned by the people above, id say there is plenty of stuff to keep you taming all day every day, combine that with breeding and you have loads of endless fun.

Or alteast looking for Rock Elementals, cause there quite rare on this map :P

Rock drake are more for tanking while managarmr are more for versatility. And wyvern are more for sheer power.

Reaper king are decently better than a MC Saddled, decent imprinted rex. It isn't as great when compared to titan but you need to remember that unless you are in single.player, they only last for 2 day approx before perishing from starvation. Whereas reaper king once fully grown, last long as it is alive and not decayed or starved. ( Already have plans to bring one over when transfers are fully opened)

Rock elemental are decent in extinction, but you have to tame it without mantis egg until transfer are open since they can't be tamed there in the cave.

People have claimed they saw ravagers in the cave, but I have yet to witness one inside.

14 hours ago, ishootpaint said:

Its a meme... Lol

Anarki is more than educated enough to pronounce it.

I am British, does that make one educated? ;) 

20 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

In the interest of debate; the reason I wrote the word in that specific way was because I had only encountered the spelling of the word a few times and I had not fully captured the spelling in my little mind. However, rather than making a close guess or by looking around in other posts (for the ease of speed) I decided to write it so that people could relate to and understand which dinosaur I was referring to. 

If we are going to get rather touchy with the spelling and pronunciation of 'said' dinosaur, shall I bother to iterate to you that this is not a real dinosaur (not extensively researched but I do not believe it is) so the spelling and pronunciation is completely at the gift of whomever is writing/saying the name.

I for one actually like it when people write managanmanaarar arara - I for one know exactly which dinosaur they are referring to.

Also, if it is pronounced exactly like it looks, would that not be: Managarmr as opposed to  Mah nah Gar` mer? Mah would suggest an 'r' but I believe its spelt Man, so why have you included a hidden 'h' which is regularly understood as an 'r'.

Happy to discuss further if you wish to do so.

Its not lacking just nothing new (for our sadness). They finally gave the most powerful persistent/breed-able creature in the game some purpose out of PVP. On pve servers people used to tame and breed gigas just for the challenge without being challenged at all, now they are the foot soldiers and a must for doing the new content. Without transfers yet everyone re-started their Giga breeding lines on extinction servers.

Wish they lifted part of the Tamed Golens nerf. They really got pointless after SE gates were fully open in face of breedable gigas and mobile reapers. Also would be nice to be able to bring some reapers to a OSD too.

1 hour ago, Anarki said:

I am British, does that make one educated? ;) 

In the interest of debate; the reason I wrote the word in that specific way was because I had only encountered the spelling of the word a few times and I had not fully captured the spelling in my little mind. However, rather than making a close guess or by looking around in other posts (for the ease of speed) I decided to write it so that people could relate to and understand which dinosaur I was referring to. 

If we are going to get rather touchy with the spelling and pronunciation of 'said' dinosaur, shall I bother to iterate to you that this is not a real dinosaur (not extensively researched but I do not believe it is) so the spelling and pronunciation is completely at the gift of whomever is writing/saying the name.

I for one actually like it when people write managanmanaarar arara - I for one know exactly which dinosaur they are referring to.

Also, if it is pronounced exactly like it looks, would that not be: Managarmr as opposed to  Mah nah Gar` mer? Mah would suggest an 'r' but I believe its spelt Man, so why have you included a hidden 'h' which is regularly understood as an 'r'.

As I mentioned, the comment wasn't directed specifically at you, and more toward basically everyone who has tried to say the word and spectacularly failed.  Yes I understand that it's now a meme. I get that. The meme had to be founded in reality, however. That reality is a large number of people being unable to decipher the word's pronunciation. 

To your "mah would suggest an 'r' comment, that's a dialect difference specific to only a handful of dialects in the English language, with 2 of them being from the UK. Phonetically, 'ah' never has an 'r' sound. If you haven't studied phonetics, then it's understandable to not know rules outside of your own dialect. No judgements there. 

12 hours ago, Vaculity said:

Rock drake are more for tanking while managarmr are more for versatility. And wyvern are more for sheer power.

Reaper king are decently better than a MC Saddled, decent imprinted rex. It isn't as great when compared to titan but you need to remember that unless you are in single.player, they only last for 2 day approx before perishing from starvation. Whereas reaper king once fully grown, last long as it is alive and not decayed or starved. ( Already have plans to bring one over when transfers are fully opened)

Rock elemental are decent in extinction, but you have to tame it without mantis egg until transfer are open since they can't be tamed there in the cave.

People have claimed they saw ravagers in the cave, but I have yet to witness one inside.

Idk dude, i think the wyvern kicks da crap out of the mana versatility wise.  I hvnt tamed a mana yet but i hear it cnt stay up vry long and afaik it cant grab things.  The freeze bcums less effective the bigger the creature(so basically worthless because the only time u need it it dsnt work.  tht game design is bs and i h8 how common it is now).  Thn add that extinction is an aboveground map with actual fliers and i feel insanely ripped off the new dragon cnt do basic flier things and is worse thn the dragon i payed for already.  Endgame dragon shud b btr then halfway thru dragon, especially wen i paid evn more irl money for it.

As for story/lore evry1 keeps talking about...I mean common, this is a game tht story = nothing, only thing tht matters is gameplay.  Trading gameplay for story(and thts a joke) is bad. This isnt a 1p style game, this isnt zelda or skyrim.  Story does all but nothing for the game and the result it has on us.

1 hour ago, banggugyangu said:

As I mentioned, the comment wasn't directed specifically at you, and more toward basically everyone who has tried to say the word and spectacularly failed.  Yes I understand that it's now a meme. I get that. The meme had to be founded in reality, however. That reality is a large number of people being unable to decipher the word's pronunciation. 

To your "mah would suggest an 'r' comment, that's a dialect difference specific to only a handful of dialects in the English language, with 2 of them being from the UK. Phonetically, 'ah' never has an 'r' sound. If you haven't studied phonetics, then it's understandable to not know rules outside of your own dialect. No judgements there. 

Why do you care so much that alot of people have a hard time pronouncing a name of a mythical creature they have never heard of. Also keep in mind alot of gamers are younger kids who may not be all that interested on properly pronouncing a creatures name. They say what rolls off the tounge the easiest and never put much thought into its origin or how to pronounce it properly.

Your comment was condescending and directed at eveyone since you used the word "everyone" to describe the people having issues. This is a video game forum, most people dont take it that seriously in regards to grammar and punctuation.

Archived