Community Crunch 159: Winter Wonderland & Dev Diary!

Jen

I love extinction, island and centre sucks.. but scorched, AB and Extinct are amazing maps, proud to be a day one players, i put more hours in ARK than i have anything in my life, part from work, i hate work and sleep. it interferes with ARK LIFE.

Few patches here n there and we are go! woop love you wildcard 

14 hours ago, MadTurninator said:

extinction is broken on the xbox . bad graphics major render issues constant dcing . orbital drops above blue and you get 5fps and lag out . artifacts not spawning and the tek replicator being learnt from drops and you cant make it . that's just a small handful  of bugs . stopping adding new stuff and fix what you release 

I have the same graphical issues and others on the server I play on have it too. They really need to optimize extinction.

14 hours ago, BERSERK3R said:

So basically what Chris is trying to say "WILDCARD DEVTEAM diched the project before its even finished, started working on another hyped game, and let you SIT THERE ALONE to fix SOME bugs and then drop mic leaving us with a game that's broken, while the modding community knows how to fix and polish the game (S+, Builders Improvements, etc).

Oh and what about Jen and that other "CM"?

"Buy on switch, buy on your phone, look at this poster"....and "Ladies and gentlement S+ will be implemented"

Instead we got....Extinction with made the game even worse, and even AFFECT other vanilla features and maps.

Just say "Wildcard ditched the community, and ran away with the money".

Pretty much lol

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jammyjade said:

basic bugs that you should have tested as core functionality are just passed off as bugs that slip through? your q an a has always been woefully inadequate, it's also hard to defend what you do with development when you literally throw the shortest dev time at projects possible yet hype it up as great things, if you really can't afford more testers ( that should be a team of a hundred considering the 12 million players that bought your game and made you over 200 million dollars in first year alone) then dont release as full dlc, slap beta on it an be up front with the community your meant to service, the ones you know who majority paid for a season pass then waited a year for a broken buggy imbalanced mess, not one word of sorry for also not just delivering a broken dlc but also further breaking core gameplay and game modes on console? what justification is that? scorched earth was meant to be your method of testing how well future dlcs would integrate into the game, that was lies too! at some point despite your good intentions to service vast groups you need to look at the core of your game an realise you alienate more then you drag in by constantly glossing over bugs and issues with such contriteness 3 dlc's on multiple updates an yet again you still cant take ownership an instead blame it on players playing the game an finding bugs FIX YOUR GAME!

You summed that up pretty well lol 

• Like 2

I play cross-play on Win10 with my girlfriend on Xbox. I find it hard to imagine that there were any hours put into this version of the game for testing. Within 10 minutes I found insane graphical glitches. But none of them compare to the fact that the game WILL NOT SAVE progress on any map anymore. Several hours of play just vanished. 

How could something as simple as game saving get passed QA? How did a glitch this bad get into a release?

Even back in the 90's when Blizzard (they were about the size you, "Studio" Wildcard, are now) games were seriously crippled by bugs upon bugs, they still took every step possible to make what they had better, not just a quick fix. 

Your first priority as a Game Developing Company, should be to listen, interact, and act upon what the player/fan base, and not just with the cool, shiny and amazing things like picture contests. this also means you need to talk with us about the dark and dirty things about game development, The Bugs (that your game is currently riddled with), Poor Optimization, and yes even the old game mechanics that need tweaking/updating, going through and moving that 1 drop that is ever so slightly out of reach because it is behind an invisible barrier.

your player/fan base would not have cared if Aberration and extinction have been pushed back 2,3, even 4 years each if it meant that the CORE game mechanics were being consistently debugged and optimized, getting everything to work as intended ALL the time and getting Optimization done so people can actually play a game is SIGNIFICANTLY more important to all of us than getting new, flashy things to play when the game just isn't ready for it.

Just making a work around for something is not a solution (referring to the Phoenix occasionally bugging and not wanting to act like a campfire or forge, and just having to upload and download to fix it). there need to be as near permanent fixes from the start.

All in all Chris, we do not want excuses, we are not your main QA Testers. Yes, we will find things that the Dev team misses, it is inevitable. but unless you are going to some how pay all 50k players who test for you, you need to straighten up your entire Development team, from the Coders and artists, to the QA guys and Director of the company. otherwise ALL FUTURE GAMES from this company will fail just as bad as Ark is failing right now. you all still have a chance to turn this game around and actually make it a great game. I suggest you take the advise of all the Heavy Criticism from this player community, it WILL make you guys better, and more importantly, it will make your GAMES Better.

Edited by SiCKxZenithx
  • Like 4

Yeah Chris, your big wordy explanation is good and all but having a wild dino that is designed to do the thing that your Code of Conduct specifically prohibits and letting it get through to release and then letting it continue to be that way for a month is garbage tier QA.  You're already in a position of never being able to sell another game to me again unless you get things fixed, it's literally the only reason I even know any of your names.  Maybe you could fix things up and redeem yourselves though.  By the way, pushing code to live on a Saturday afternoon is dumb when your customers' use of your product is at peak levels during that time.

Edited by BoxBoxBox

10 hours ago, HighFlyer15 said:

What different universe post did you read?! He literally did not blame the players. He said it's impossible to find as many bugs/glitches as players encounter since players put in 6000 times more playtime than any testers.

I already knew his clear post wouldn't be able to reach the most insane cases, you, and it didn't. You read what you wanted to read and ignored the rest.

Don't call someone insane just because you can't see through obvious bs!

1 hour ago, SiCKxZenithx said:

Even back in the 90's when Blizzard (they were about the size you, "Studio" Wildcard, are now) games were seriously crippled by bugs upon bugs, they still took every step possible to make what they had better, not just a quick fix. 

Your first priority as a Game Developing Company, should be to listen, interact, and act upon what the player/fan base, and not just with the cool, shiny and amazing things like picture contests. this also means you need to talk with us about the dark and dirty things about game development, The Bugs (that your game is currently riddled with), Poor Optimization, and yes even the old game mechanics that need tweaking/updating, going through and moving that 1 drop that is ever so slightly out of reach because it is behind an invisible barrier.

your player/fan base would not have cared if Aberration and extinction have been pushed back 2,3, even 4 years each if it meant that the CORE game mechanics were being consistently debugged and optimized, getting everything to work as intended ALL the time and getting Optimization done so people can actually play a game is SIGNIFICANTLY more important to all of us than getting new, flashy things to play when the game just isn't ready for it.

Just making a work around for something is not a solution (referring to the Phoenix occasionally bugging and not wanting to act like a campfire or forge, and just having to upload and download to fix it). there need to be as near permanent fixes from the start.

All in all Chris, we do not want excuses, we are not your main QA Testers. Yes, we will find things that the Dev team misses, it is inevitable. but unless you are going to some how pay all 50k players who test for you, you need to straighten up your entire Development team, from the Coders and artists, to the QA guys and Director of the company. otherwise ALL FUTURE GAMES from this company will fail just as bad as Ark is failing right now. you all still have a chance to turn this game around and actually make it a great game. I suggest you take the advise of all the Heavy Criticism from this player community, it WILL make you guys better, and more importantly, it will make your GAMES Better.

Or ID Software, a group of a handfull amateur programmers who made one of the best engines in human history, so don't talk (refering to Wildcard/Chris) "not enough manpower, not enough money", its a bullpoop excuse, and eventually no one is to blame yeah right...

Wildcard focusses on especially kids, or a generation that doesnt know about quality control yet, or a history of development of producs and especially games.
Which is fine, however that takes responsibility, integrity,support, and most of all QUALITY, its like selling drugs to kids and say "but it makes them smile" so whats the deal?

Edited by BERSERK3R

Everyone who's saying this is a great expansion, you need to see exactly how easy it is to wipe a base with a pile of regular level corrupted dinos.  Once you piss one guy off, you're done building at ground level.  Even if you're building at an unreachable level on the top of a building in the city they can still drag groups of pteranodons (which due to their aggro mechanic are super easy to get groups of 6-8 of) up to your base and do damage when you're offline.

• Like 2

As someone who did a great many years (20+) of software testing for a major software company I strongly disagree you cannot do better with that many people or other methods of software testing.  You definitely need to hire some SDET level folks to automate and get some basic regression testing done that'd catch a lot of things sooner and help remove the many hours needed for someone to manually playtest all the things.  Automation definitely won't catch all of the issues but it'd definitely give your testers more time to play and find those bugs only found during play testing.

That and give your players a better method of reporting issues and getting feedback on those issues.  Heck if you're going to rely on the folks who bought and paid for your game then listen to them.

I've given this same info before and other software testing advice in the past so I'm certain this will be just as ignored by anyone on the management team who makes the decisions on where to put the effort.

What makes me more sad is I came back here after MANY months of not playing just to see what is happening and to see if I might have an interest in playing again and I see the same nonsense spouted off here again about how you cannot test better.

EDIT:  And just to clarify, I know for certain that the devs care and the software testers care, I've chatted with several of them so I know they care.  Where the disconnect comes from is very likely management who's deciding what is important and this is one area that they've put low on the list as per what the dev said and what could be done here to resolve this.

Edited by mleii
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, revjiggs said:

This is a really well written post I can understand how hard it can be to predict what players decide to do with the building blocks you give them. Keep up the good work and ignore that ignorant poops that give you a hard time every minute of every day

Yes, all us poops complaining about updates that are useless to us since we literally can't even load the game we paid for since extinction came out are just ignorant. Nevermind that they don't even acknowledge there's a problem let alone address it.

Lucky you getting to play with your building blocks, that must mean everything is going a-okay for the rest of us too, even though we can only see them via stream and YouTube.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 1:42 AM, jammyjade said:

basic bugs that you should have tested as core functionality are just passed off as bugs that slip through? your q an a has always been woefully inadequate, it's also hard to defend what you do with development when you literally throw the shortest dev time at projects possible yet hype it up as great things, if you really can't afford more testers ( that should be a team of a hundred considering the 12 million players that bought your game and made you over 200 million dollars in first year alone) then dont release as full dlc, slap beta on it an be up front with the community your meant to service, the ones you know who majority paid for a season pass then waited a year for a broken buggy imbalanced mess, not one word of sorry for also not just delivering a broken dlc but also further breaking core gameplay and game modes on console? what justification is that? scorched earth was meant to be your method of testing how well future dlcs would integrate into the game, that was lies too! at some point despite your good intentions to service vast groups you need to look at the core of your game an realise you alienate more then you drag in by constantly glossing over bugs and issues with such contriteness 3 dlc's on multiple updates an yet again you still cant take ownership an instead blame it on players playing the game an finding bugs FIX YOUR GAME!

It shows how you have never worked in the software industry before. Its not that simple I work in the industry and yea its annoying but its the way it is, 

10 hours ago, valicetra said:

Yes, all us poops complaining about updates that are useless to us since we literally can't even load the game we paid for since extinction came out are just ignorant. Nevermind that they don't even acknowledge there's a problem let alone address it.

Lucky you getting to play with your building blocks, that must mean everything is going a-okay for the rest of us too, even though we can only see them via stream and YouTube.

awww poor you do you want a cookie ? go get a better pc scrub

Oh wow... what is there to say. It sounds lika same poor excuses, but I don´t want to blame you. You had very big issues, you let the community down sometimes, but we are still here. You hear and you feel the outrage on your forum. You read it probably everyday. We are not your Enemies, we are your community, we are here because we love this game and if all what you are saying is true, you love the game aswell.  And because the testing thing, im pretty sure, there would be lots of people that would love to help you, some may do it without wanting to get payed. At least i would do it for free in my freetime. Pls listen to the community, start updating the game on a regular base maybe. Riot is doing it with LoL. We want to help you guys, because we love the game as much as you do. I´ll probably stay a fan of this game and i want to help you, so pls give us or me the chance to help you.

Greetings FreezeGoD

i know you have read all these comment or at least hope so. yesterday you released the patch for picking up structures in 30 secs after it was placed.

Obviously we don’t like it when our game has problems, so we focus much of our testing on critical areas and we test them over and over again and prioritize the issues we find. As you can imagine, this is a lot easier in a single player game with a fixed path through a scripted storyline

^^^^

single player 

come on guys have you not learned from the past at all what some high ping and several  people trying to pick it up at the same time will do. Think about this people are already abusing this way of duping you guys need to test stuff out alot better than you are doing literally breaking your game yourself. 

First of all I love Ark! I've had the base game since it first came out and bought the season pass during the uh.. *cough* unfortunate PR fumble regarding the 2 week countdown that wasn't Extinction. ;) But even though a lot of the comments on everything you guys post seem to be mostly negative, bitchy complaints, I wanted to let everyone at WC know that your game is great, it's amazing! It's a multi-map large open world, crafting/building survival game filled to the brim with a huge variety of creatures on the land, sea and sky that are all very unique in appearance, animation and function. This game is a HUGE undertaking and I think of lot of people just get focused on the negative instead of on the fact that this game is such a large scale project. I think people just can't understand how many difficulties you guys have to put up with because they literally don't have any actual game development knowledge or experience to use as a basis. I certainly don't, but at least I can be mature enough to try to comprehend what kind of difficulty you guys run into during development rather than bitch/moan all the time.

So just know that despite all the negative noise you guys hear every time you come out with a patch that fixes things or new content to let us play with, there are FAR more players who love this game and continue to play it because it's awesome & fun. Even the people who whine on every post you put out probably have hundreds and hundreds of hours put into the game because they know it's still great fun to come back too no matter what issues or bugs they might have found that you guys haven't had a chance to catch yet.

So 10/10 please continue doing what you guys are doing best! 

P.S. Can't wait for the christmas event! I'm planning a Secret Santa event on my server and even used a GG Fizz Christmas Tree Youtube design to build a huge tree with colorful lights inside! I'm super excited for the decorations I'll be able to use once the event is released! ❤️