Best Stats and Way to lvl up Pteranadon

Vxrtx

It depends on what map you are on, and what you intend to use it for.

In general, they are a starting bird and useful for scouting and staying safe up in the air. 

I just stam in mine so I can fly far distances.

Get an argy for weight and if you are on a map with wyverns, get one of those for a battlebird, but Argys make good battle birds too.

Enjoy!

I'm PvE not PvP but contributing anyway. 

MOUNT: Stam 1st and some weight if it is your mount. 

FOLLOWER:  If you attach it to a war party of 4 to 6 more Pters on follow (chain so they don't trip each other) it keeps off bugs and such.  Put pnts in damage dealing 1st and some health for fighters who follow your main mount. 

BREEDER:  Not expert you can ask others but maybe your 235-Pters' stats are good for babies?  Since breeders don't do anything but sit I kinda just pump up weight on them. Maybe keep some items on for a quick evacuation?  Pters are fast if not over weighted.  Breeders can do scouting or quickly dropping off valuable blueprints or poop run or berries to an outpost.

If you air battle stam only as the spin will drain it and have potions or something to compensate.

Now on PvE I use Pters as body guards.  Mind they get in the way of everything and can be controlled slightly better if distance is set to high.  As fact, all flying creatures should be set to "high" follow only because of the pattern they fly in makes them easier to control, land, get to glide.  Otherwise they will have their beak up your bum (low/lowest) or fly in erratic circles (medium/highest).

Overall Pters are not liked because they are squishy so don't get attached it will die and soon.  Advantage is they are easiest kibble to make for tame (dodo egg, cooked meat, carrot insanelyeven a beginner can generate).  And Pters are numerous usually (TheIsland).  Replaceable squishies quick to tame. 

You could go in with an army of twenty of them on follow if your server does not lag.  In mass numbers they can be impressive for short battles.  But don't do it for long they seem to tire for no reason that I have yet to figure out when pushed to battle repeatedly no stopping.  Or maybe that was lag.

2 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

Overall Pters are not liked because they are squishy so don't get attached it will die and soon.  Advantage is they are easiest kibble to make for tame (dodo egg, cooked meat, carrot insanelyeven a beginner can generate).  And Pters are numerous usually (TheIsland).  Replaceable squishies quick to tame. 

They are a little lightweight but they can still be a decent bird for low level hunting. And I dont agree with your point - 'it will die soon', it will only die if you dont keep an eye on its health or stamina. I started on Center60 over a year back and still have my original 130 Ptera called Pteri - now level 256 - they wont die if you know what you are doing :)

6 hours ago, Anarki said:

They are a little lightweight but they can still be a decent bird for low level hunting. And I dont agree with your point - 'it will die soon', it will only die if you dont keep an eye on its health or stamina. I started on Center60 over a year back and still have my original 130 Ptera called Pteri - now level 256 - they wont die if you know what you are doing :)

Thanks 4 the contributeion

6 hours ago, Anarki said:

No, they still die LOL. I'm on extinction and have lost the first 2 good birds I tamed.  The first one I flew too close to the edge of the map while heading to my base and it was insta-killed.  My second one was sitting outside my base with my snow owl when a corrupted level 360 Wyvern came by and flamed it to death.  The owl lived though.  I was inside putting in a new forge and smithy when suddenly I was on fire. I was like what the heck?  Went outside and saw the Wyvern. Holy crap LOL.

20 hours ago, Anarki said:

Of course you are right.  I forgot to mention I am STUCK on a BEGINNER SERVER eternally because regular official servers in my cluster lag my PC to much do to the massive constructions and over-population that is Ark.  Thus my Pters cannot be over level 50.

30 minutes ago, Jemcrystal said:

Of course you are right.  I forgot to mention I am STUCK on a BEGINNER SERVER eternally because regular official servers in my cluster lag my PC to much do to the massive constructions and over-population that is Ark.  Thus my Pters cannot be over level 50.

I can suggest Center60 - PVE as a decent server. Its NA but Im from EU and rarely get any major lag issues - its official so its also supported (not legacy). Yeah having Pters under level 50 would be harsh - I guess the other dinos are also under 50? I wasnt aware of beginner server - is this unofficial?

I guess the reason I also havent lost any Pteras is the fact that my breeding line is in excess of 300 so they have high stats - also, I don't use them for battle much nowadays but for my beginner mount they were perfect.

On Tuesday, December 04, 2018 at 8:52 AM, baronbowden said:

So I have to interact with people to get access to the trading forums... SOOO thanks for this post!!

On Tuesday, December 04, 2018 at 10:40 AM, Vxrtx said:

Lmao same whats the requirements?

I believe its 10 posts. You can only make 3 per day while you're a newbie :) 

On 12/3/2018 at 2:21 PM, Vxrtx said:

Hey, Im sort-of new to ark and I was wondering, since I have a lvl 235 pteranadon on offical pvp the best way to lvl it up and the best stats/stats I should aim for, any comments would be appreicaited

So, I don't see anyone answer your question properly. First off, if you want to see what good starts are, check out the dododex or a similar service. You can check how many points or levels are in each stat before leveling up. Its important so that you know whether or not you should breed them. 

Stats to go for to be a worthy breeder contestant at least early on.

Health: ~2000+

Stam: 500+

Melee: 380+

Weight: 220+

The other stats don't matter unless you're just going for levels.

The best way to get this is

1.Get your dodo kibble farm going.

2. Once you have about 100 or so, go to the highlands on rag (preferably on 2x taming, not because of the taming speed, but you can get twice as many!) and tame every single high level you can find, probably anything 135+.

Just bola them and tranq them, they're super quick and there aren't many things that will attack them, other than the occasional giga, which will be easy to spot, and the occasional allo pack. In regards to the gigas, it's always nice to bring large bear traps and 4 metal dinos gates just in case you come across one you want to tame.

Make sure to NAME the pteras with those 4 stats, don't folder them because you lose the folders when transferring, naming them ensures that you know their stats.

Once you get back to base make sure to find the ones with the best of those 4 stats, set them aside and breed them until you get all the stats on one male and one female. And breed those away, keep all the females and a couple more males as extra breeders, use all the extra males for anything you want. It's good to have them on standby for air battles because the easily out maneuver wyverns,argies, quetzals, etc. They're quick and easy to raise so they're super disposable. You can repeat this process every week or so if you really want to get god tier stats.

For use the stats you want to level are: 

Health

Stam

Weight

+enough melee to barrel roll people you pick and drop

This pretty much applies to both scouting and fighting. You need to be able to talk a couple hits and you need a ton of stam to flee and stay up in the air as long as possible. To level up a ton of them its easiest to just have them near a common area with tons of lystros. Just let them sit for a week or two and you'll have 35+ levels to pump into them. If you need to quickly level them and you have a decent dps dino, have a friend do a meat run while you follow on a ptera.

I highly suggest moving on to better fliers asap though. Pteras aren't good for much other than scouting and picking. You shouldn't try to use them for farming. Get an argy or show owl, they're super easy to tame with 3 dino gates. After the argy and/or snow owl, get a Griffin, then a quetzal and wyvern. This can all be accomplished in about a week or two time time, if one or two people can focus on that while someone else does other things.

That's pretty much all you need to know about pteras, good luck and happy surviving

17 hours ago, Anarki said:

Yes, Center60 is an NA server not EU so you should be fine. maybe give it a try. If you spawn in South/Mid tropical there are places available for base building :)

Sorry also forgot to mention I'm on Beginner Official.  I have to stay in my Cluster or I loose all my dino breeding progress.  All the Officials on my Cluster have high ping.  Nothing below 80.  I'm forced to remain on Beginner or loose all my progress.

11 hours ago, CalMargi said:

Stats to go for to be a worthy breeder contestant at least early on.

Health: ~2000+

Stam: 500+

Melee: 380+

Weight: 220+

9 hours ago, Vxrtx said:

Ah thanks

Naah.  This is too much.  The other two stats, at ~43 points apiece, are closer to reasonable.  There is an important thing you are overlooking in your own post Cal.

"... early on."

Stats above 35 are good for early on, for post tame.  Early on.  Your words.  A nearly-50-point cut into stamina is not a super-common thing for tames that come out with 220 total levels.  Maybe if the tame has 40 points into stam pre-tame, but it just isn't common enough to be a recommendation as the START of a breeding line.

If you get 35-40 points in a HP/stam/weight/melee stat, for EARLY ON, it is good enough to get a breeding line going quickly.  After you bola and KO a wild Ptera, you can CHECK the stats on dododex.com, and see the wild levelup values using their stat calculator.

I CAN NOT STRESS THIS NEXT PART ENOUGH:  IF A STAT SHOWS UP AS "HIGH/VERY HIGH" (GREEN) ON DODODEX, PRE-TAME, TRY TO TEMPER YOUR EXCITEMENT.  AFTER LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF TAMES I CAN TELL YOU WITH CERTAINTY TO NOT TRUST THAT A 30-POINT STAT PRE-TAME WILL TURN OUT TO BE 40-50 POINTS.  RNG simply isn't that predictable, or kind.  I have had many MANY tames gain less than 10% of the bonus taming levels in the stat that I wanted it to (a 28-point, 4620 HP pretame Carbonemys, level 150, that tamed out to 31 points, or 5040 HP so three of 74 bonus levels into HP).

I would suggest for starting out, 35-40 points post-tame on stats are worth breeding forward.  Imprint is huge, and while it won't affect your stamina stat, the power and resiliency it will give your Pteras will really help.

Don't stare blind on stats, when starting,  if you see lvl 150 pte tame it, if you get a female and a male, breed it till you get 1 with best stats you have, 

imprint it, and level it, normaly you end up with a decent pte. 

If you want good stats, aks around, and buy/trade them most likely somebody else already spend time on it, why do it over again?

On 12/7/2018 at 12:23 AM, TheDonn said:

Naah.  This is too much.  The other two stats, at ~43 points apiece, are closer to reasonable.  There is an important thing you are overlooking in your own post Cal.

"... early on."

Stats above 35 are good for early on, for post tame.  Early on.  Your words.  A nearly-50-point cut into stamina is not a super-common thing for tames that come out with 220 total levels.  Maybe if the tame has 40 points into stam pre-tame, but it just isn't common enough to be a recommendation as the START of a breeding line.

If you get 35-40 points in a HP/stam/weight/melee stat, for EARLY ON, it is good enough to get a breeding line going quickly.  After you bola and KO a wild Ptera, you can CHECK the stats on dododex.com, and see the wild levelup values using their stat calculator.

I CAN NOT STRESS THIS NEXT PART ENOUGH:  IF A STAT SHOWS UP AS "HIGH/VERY HIGH" (GREEN) ON DODODEX, PRE-TAME, TRY TO TEMPER YOUR EXCITEMENT.  AFTER LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF TAMES I CAN TELL YOU WITH CERTAINTY TO NOT TRUST THAT A 30-POINT STAT PRE-TAME WILL TURN OUT TO BE 40-50 POINTS.  RNG simply isn't that predictable, or kind.  I have had many MANY tames gain less than 10% of the bonus taming levels in the stat that I wanted it to (a 28-point, 4620 HP pretame Carbonemys, level 150, that tamed out to 31 points, or 5040 HP so three of 74 bonus levels into HP).

I would suggest for starting out, 35-40 points post-tame on stats are worth breeding forward.  Imprint is huge, and while it won't affect your stamina stat, the power and resiliency it will give your Pteras will really help.

I mean pteras are super easy to tame. There's no reason someone couldn't get 45 points into each stat after 2 weeks. Something to keep in mind, FLIERS DO NOT HAVE ANY WASTED POINTS. Most tames have 20-40 wasted points and since pteras dont have any they tend to get much higher points per stat. It took me about 2 weeks to build up and get a breed line with better stats than I recommended. I have:

Health 2200

Stam 560

Melee 423 

Weight 226

5 minutes ago, CalMargi said:

I mean pteras are super easy to tame. There's no reason someone couldn't get 45 points into each stat after 2 weeks. Something to keep in mind, FLIERS DO NOT HAVE ANY WASTED POINTS. Most tames have 20-40 wasted points and since pteras dont have any they tend to get much higher points per stat. It took me about 2 weeks to build up and get a breed line with better stats than I recommended. I have:

Health 2200

Stam 560

Melee 423 

Weight 226

It sounds like you have a strong line.  It is true that no wasted points means aim higher with stats, but telling someone to turn away from a 40 point stat because you, in a single example, got good stats seems a bit misleading.

I'm with Cal, don't settle on a low point bird if you're goal is to make a breeding line. My two brothers, my son, and I spent 6 weeks on the island getting an argie line going. 

If you want "just a bird" then any old pter will do. What they say about imprinting is true. It boosts up the hp quite a bit. But don't spend a ton of time chasing mutations if you breeders don't have 70 points in the respective stats to start. 

Archived