velonasaurs

Legowarrior145

What I have done, is I rush the Velon, I use a longneck rifle and Tranq darts, I get right up almost under them in the front.  I am usually wearing flak armor so their swing attack does not do much damage. I fire rounds into their head or chest, till they start to wander away, then follow them while shooting till they drop. I have found that approaching slowly allows them to use turret mode and that is a pain. Although if done right they can get stuck in turret mode and wont move till unconscious.

The edge of the desert has those metal pillar things right at the border of the desert/wasteland. I use those to stand on and shoot down at the velos. They are tall enough that the velo can't climb up them but you can still shoot down at them. After that it is all about timing. Pop out from cover and shoot then hide while you reload. The velos have to pause and reload (regen stamina) and you can usually get off a shoot or two while they do that. After you get the pattern down it's pretty easy.

I have no problem to down them with cloth armor, after the first head shoot they turn to you and start rail gunning, but then I start circling around it and he just can't seem to be able to turn that fast. 10-15 shoots and job done! you have to be mid range, just outside their melee range, this way you cover more ground then they can turn around

I just sit behind a rock and shoot darts.  If you can barely see the velonasaur, it cannot hit you with its needles.  Eventually it'll stop shooting and rush you, just walk around the rock until it starts shooting again.  (Only takes about 2-3 seconds before it does).  Absurdly easy knockout and tame.   They're crazy slow walkers, so no worries about it getting on top of you.  Even on official rates, I did prime meat tames on them using dimetrodons as food.  Once you have a capable pteranodon, this dino should be a priority tame.

Archived