Jump to content

Shinealight

legacy More legacy servers being shut down?

Recommended Posts

I keep hearing rumors that more (even all) legacy servers will be shut down ?

Is this true?

I will assume it is not true though, since I've searched for answers all over, but haven't found anything about it. Also, what would be the point of legacy servers if they're all going to be deleted?...

I hope somebody can clarify this.

Thanks in advance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get your save file from the legacy server, try hitting up one of the server owners on unofficial, they can transfer your stuff to their cluster. I'm not going to shill for my own cluster, but just saying that there are folks out there willing to give you a hand in saving your hard work. For example, you have what is called a S+ Demo gun, that lets you deconstruct the base back into building materials. Then can just upload the parts to obelisk and transfer, if you're into doing that. Dinosaurs and blueprints are probably the most wanted thing to transfer across. But at least this option is available.

The other option is to just throw in the towel and accept that Legacy is not supported anymore and move onto the new official servers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sphere said:

If you get your save file from the legacy server, try hitting up one of the server owners on unofficial, they can transfer your stuff to their cluster. I'm not going to shill for my own cluster, but just saying that there are folks out there willing to give you a hand in saving your hard work. For example, you have what is called a S+ Demo gun, that lets you deconstruct the base back into building materials. Then can just upload the parts to obelisk and transfer, if you're into doing that. Dinosaurs and blueprints are probably the most wanted thing to transfer across. But at least this option is available.

The other option is to just throw in the towel and accept that Legacy is not supported anymore and move onto the new official servers.

The S+ demo gun is useless for someone like OP who plays on PS4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sphere said:

If you get your save file from the legacy server, try hitting up one of the server owners on unofficial, they can transfer your stuff to their cluster. I'm not going to shill for my own cluster, but just saying that there are folks out there willing to give you a hand in saving your hard work. For example, you have what is called a S+ Demo gun, that lets you deconstruct the base back into building materials. Then can just upload the parts to obelisk and transfer, if you're into doing that. Dinosaurs and blueprints are probably the most wanted thing to transfer across. But at least this option is available.

The other option is to just throw in the towel and accept that Legacy is not supported anymore and move onto the new official servers.

Looks like they play on PS4 according to their profile.

However, it would have been a good idea for WC to have introduced the pickup function to the Admin Blink Rifle so that admins could do stuff like that for people or for themselves. I think that was a much missed opportunity.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although there is no official answer from W.C ... it is a fact that many people believe that legacy servers will be turned off.

But I have my doubts ... you see. If legacy servers will be disconnected, then why new players have access to them. Every day, new players start playing Ark, and many begin on legacy servers because a new player does not know the difference of legacy and new cluster.

So I would say that this is a question that still has no answer.

After all ... what will be the future of the legacies? Merge? Wipe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Shinealight said:

I keep hearing rumors that more (even all) legacy servers will be shut down ?

Is this true?

I will assume it is not true though, since I've searched for answers all over, but haven't found anything about it. Also, what would be the point of legacy servers if they're all going to be deleted?...

I hope somebody can clarify this.

Thanks in advance! 

When ark had full release last year, it was clear that wildcard had tp set up new official servers that are seperate from the ones they provided during early access. The new servers gave everyone the same chance of an even start and they were clean of items/dinos that were obtained through cheating/exploiting/nerfed game mechanics on the old servers.

Now wildcard could have either deleted the old servers upon official release, but that would have led to a massive poopstorm from their early access players, or they could have run both legacy and new servers, but that would be too expensive. So they chose a middle way and kept legacy servers up but stopped support for them and said they would close them step by step when the population is too low.

So to be clear, the rumors are true, more and more legacy servers will be closed, maybe even all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, arrojado1200 said:

Although there is no official answer from W.C ... it is a fact that many people believe that legacy servers will be turned off.

But I have my doubts ... you see. If legacy servers will be disconnected, then why new players have access to them. Every day, new players start playing Ark, and many begin on legacy servers because a new player does not know the difference of legacy and new cluster.

So I would say that this is a question that still has no answer.

After all ... what will be the future of the legacies? Merge? Wipe?

Well it would be weird to prevent new players from joining legacy. Imagine your friend buys ark and wants to join you on the legacy server but cant. New players see the new servers tho, to find a legacy server they have to change the search filter. And while i agree it could be explained better ingame, the word legacy is kinda obvious. Legacies will never merge into the new official servers. Wildcard said that before, and breaking their word would be a big slap in the face for everybody that has left legacy upon official release to start fresh on the new servers. And, as i said above, legacy is full of stuff that was obtained through mechanics that were nerfed or through cheating and exploiting. Even more since they stopped support for legacy servers.

Legacy servers will die, wildcard will keep closing more and more of them. Maybe they leave a tiny little batch but i would not hope for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, acat said:

Well it would be weird to prevent new players from joining legacy. Imagine your friend buys ark and wants to join you on the legacy server but cant. New players see the new servers tho, to find a legacy server they have to change the search filter. And while i agree it could be explained better ingame, the word legacy is kinda obvious. Legacies will never merge into the new official servers. Wildcard said that before, and breaking their word would be a big slap in the face for everybody that has left legacy upon official release to start fresh on the new servers. And, as i said above, legacy is full of stuff that was obtained through mechanics that were nerfed or through cheating and exploiting. Even more since they stopped support for legacy servers.

Legacy servers will die, wildcard will keep closing more and more of them. Maybe they leave a tiny little batch but i would not hope for that. 


Yes I understand. Really legacy servers are far out of the way for new servers. But if new players continue to enter the legacy servers, they will never have their population diminished, and W.C. was very clear about that ... they would only close legacy servers with a low population.

It is tin to think that a new player starts on a legacy server, and at any time your server is turned off. That would also be a slap in the face ... but this time in the face of new players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, IanHighlander said:

S+ is a mod (Structures Plus), you can only use mods on the Steam PC version of the game.

I knew this. But I didn't see anything that suggested consoles. Plus playing this game on console doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, sorry misinterpreted your "I didn't know this" as being about the S+ part not the PS4 part given the way you worded it and the fact that the two posts after your previous post both stated the OP was using PS4 so I assumed you knew that by that point.

FWIW I sort of agree about playing on consoles, I just don't really get it, but if that's your only option to play a great game like this then I guess thats what you go with rather than missing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

This game is on 5 different platforms (6 if you include Mobile) but you assume that everyone plays on Steam?

Play this game on a keyboard and mouse, and then try a controller. On top of the hardware requirements to play properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, Shinealight said:

I keep hearing rumors that more (even all) legacy servers will be shut down ?

 

It's not a rumor. That has been the case since the concept of Legacy servers was introduced. Eventually all Legacy servers will be decommissioned.
 

On 12/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, Shinealight said:

Also, what would be the point of legacy servers if they're all going to be deleted?...

The purpose of Legacy servers was to quell - for the most part - the complaints coming from players who don't understand the concept of Early Access and/or didn't pay attention to official Wildcard statements on the topic leading up to release.

Wildcard stated from early on that there would be universal official server wipe at retail launch. Many Early Access players were completely oblivious to this, and instead of stating, "Well, I wish I had paid more attention to that," they became outraged and an angry mob of players pitchforked their way into a compromise that ultimately benefited nobody. 

 

2 hours ago, Oli4 said:

Wildcard should just pull the plug, there is no reason to keep legacy alive if they will shutdown all the servers eventually anyway.

That's what many of us were saying from the moment they announced legacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2018 at 3:23 PM, Shinealight said:

I keep hearing rumors that more (even all) legacy servers will be shut down ?

Is this true?

I will assume it is not true though, since I've searched for answers all over, but haven't found anything about it. Also, what would be the point of legacy servers if they're all going to be deleted?...

I hope somebody can clarify this.

Thanks in advance! 

All Legacy servers were doomed (on official launch of the game) when WC stated they would not support them. The plan they have is to shut down ALL legacy servers eventually. They are doing this through attrition. With the plan they have set up it is only a matter of time before they shut down all legacy servers. They only grudgingly allowed them this long because they openly promised to not do what they are doing....shutting them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I came back to ARK after a year and the old official servers are now Legacy, ive seen a few post saying that those servers are going to be deleted.
So im here to ask..
Is every Legacy server going to be deleted at some point or will some of em remain?
Is it worth it to play with my old character or just move on to a new official server?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...