Drowning people and stealing dinos on PVE

LadyLucifer

My tribe mate is on our Xbox Official Island server 148 EU transferring items at the green ob when he lags out. By the time he loads back into the game, someone took his body to the water down below and drowned it taking all of his items. He had some really good weapons and armor on him but one of those items was a cryopod with his thylacoleo. He only has two with the one that was stolen being his best one. We asked around the server for whoever took his stuff to at least give back the cryopod but of course no one responds or comes by to bring it back.

Why are people allowed to kill people and take their items on official PVE servers?

Is there anything Wildcard can do something about this? Is there anyway that someone who works at Wildcard to locate or dino and bring it back to us or give us a new thlyacoleo? We worked really hard to get him that thylacoleo and now it's just gone in an instant because someone decided to be a thief.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated!

Only thing I can think that would help if at all in reporting.  Take quick pics of your animals ID#s.  That way if it's possible for them to do a search for it, they could maybe track down where it went to.

Since you probably won't catch someone in the act of doing it, it's the only thing I can think of that might help.

1 minute ago, GrumpyBear said:

Only thing I can think that would help if at all in reporting.  Take quick pics of your animals ID#s.  That way if it's possible for them to do a search for it, they could maybe track down where it went to.

Since you probably won't catch someone in the act of doing it, it's the only thing I can think of that might help.

:( I don't know it's ID. All i can remember is the name, gender, level and colors of the thlylacoleo, And it still should have I tribe name on it. Is that enough info to report this? Where exactly do i go to report something like this?

Those things might not help track it down though.  As soon as they unpod it , it becomes part of their tribe.  They could then change the name and a name search wouldn't help.  I'm sad to say that it's probably gone for good unless they can track it somehow.  Going forward, I'd say pics of their info w/ the id# would your only protection, if at all. Unless of course there's only a couple players on at the time you were on the server. To report bad behavior, you can go into support on this site.

click on support tab.  In the upper right is a button asking you to log in, if you have never used the tool before - you may have to register an account.  I"m not sure what i did the first time, but once u are logged in on that page, u will see a submit request to the left of your account name in that same spot.  Click on that, then put in as much information as you can.

Usually takes a week or 2 to get a response, if anything, they might just replace the animal for you up to a certain level. so if it was a monster bred one you bought, u will be out of luck.  It will be a random stat mix of the level they can restore to you.  

If you do talk with a GM about it, ask them if having the id # would help them track a dino down.  I'm curious to know as well.

42 minutes ago, LadyLucifer said:

:( I don't know it's ID. All i can remember is the name, gender, level and colors of the thlylacoleo, And it still should have I tribe name on it. Is that enough info to report this? Where exactly do i go to report something like this?

Do you or your friend record any videos of gameplay?   If so, you might want to review your footage.   See if you can find any segments where you interact with the dino's inventory, and then you could read the dino's ID number from its stat screen.

It sucks, but really I hope they don't add gameplay preventatives mechanics to make this not possible from happening. Just because it's PvE doesn't mean it shouldn't have very lose PvP mechanics to think about.

The Ark world is a dangerous world. Everyone dies a lot. If we start making players unable to take damage while offline then it would lose a bit of it's grit.

at least that's my opinion.

Can't drown people on my cluster using offline grief play. You know, disconnecting is always going to be a problem with online games. But allowing punishing mechanics to continue on official servers, which are notorious for being even worse than dedicated unofficial servers, and yet dedicated can patch out with settings, offline drowning, tells you something.

Something about punishing people for crashing or disconnecting is just not something I want paying customers to put up with. Maybe PVP, but not PVE.

People drowning people is nothing new. if you're in pvp don't log out in the open. Don't log out with anything on you that you wouldn't want to lose. drowning has always been there and i doubt they will change a mechanic in like claiming dino's from cryopods in pvp cause people in pve cant use sense when they log out. Best way to log out is in a sleeping in a bed, that way your character wont glitch through the floors.

On 12/2/2018 at 4:58 AM, Sphere said:

Can't drown people on my cluster using offline grief play. You know, disconnecting is always going to be a problem with online games. But allowing punishing mechanics to continue on official servers, which are notorious for being even worse than dedicated unofficial servers, and yet dedicated can patch out with settings, offline drowning, tells you something.

Something about punishing people for crashing or disconnecting is just not something I want paying customers to put up with. Maybe PVP, but not PVE.

How do you prevent drownings on your unofficial?

Seems like it would be an easy fix, just disable the option to drag bodies in PVE (could be enabled for tribemates).

The other thing I don't get is why the option to turn on items is there, I often login to find my forge/chem benches/fabricators running when I know they were off when I logged out. In fairness to the last point I could build an enclosed structure for them but I tend to go minimalist in PVE to help with lag (on PS4). Just doesnt seem like there's any reason for anyone to be able to turn things on like this.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:24 PM, LadyLucifer said:

My tribe mate is on our Xbox Official Island server 148 EU transferring items at the green ob when he lags out. By the time he loads back into the game, someone took his body to the water down below and drowned it taking all of his items. He had some really good weapons and armor on him but one of those items was a cryopod with his thylacoleo. He only has two with the one that was stolen being his best one. We asked around the server for whoever took his stuff to at least give back the cryopod but of course no one responds or comes by to bring it back.

Why are people allowed to kill people and take their items on official PVE servers?

Is there anything Wildcard can do something about this? Is there anyway that someone who works at Wildcard to locate or dino and bring it back to us or give us a new thlyacoleo? We worked really hard to get him that thylacoleo and now it's just gone in an instant because someone decided to be a thief.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated!

This is too late for it now, but I found on my unofficial server that having my Dino taming settings as " private owned, tribe ridden" and "personal tamed" made it so I couldn't give a cryopods prodded Dino to a friend in another tribe. It showed up as still belonging to me. This won't stop someone from stealing a cryopods off your body but it will stop them from being able to use the Dino inside (assuming it works the same on official)

Absolutely. I have no idea why gaming companies keep balancing solely for PVP. They HAVE to be separate. As was stated earlier if you balance for one you screw over the other. Forcing PVP on the player base is cancer. Players who refuse to do PVP do not need to be convinced to play it, they HATE it. Please recognize this. You will not convert your player base so stop trying to. 

The truth about the flying speed nerf is wc was unable to optimise servers to load buildings in time so players were able to fly inside buildings to steal stuff.  So the answer from wc was to nerf speed on all flying dinos.  Which ultimate resulted in extremely boring travel times, esp on pve.  The nerf to carry dinos on pve is obvious, as it was being used to grief dropping dinos into peoples' bases, similarly the nerf to loose aggro by trailing flyers is because it is being used to grief.  Flyers have never really been op, just useful.  In extinction they're necessary, which means alot of time spent boringly travelling.  Until you get a mana at least.  Or Tek teleporters.

All too often, wc has pandered to pvp players, giving them the ability to jail other players and disable them almost permenantly ingame.  A very ignorant and antisocial way of playing what is supposed to be a competitive game and turning Ark pvp into almost pure griefing.  With almost no pvp at all.

Offline raiding protection resolved alot of the griefing.  But the game almost seems to be designed to allow it and cater for it.  It is honestly beyond me why anyone could find ark pvp to be fun.  At least on the scale that playing soccer or hockey or golf for example is fun.  You don't get to kill people in those games tho and really for most pve'ers this is the core issue, allowing people a context to 'in fantasy', commit crimes that in almost every country in the world would put you on either death row or long term prison.  Pvp in Ark caters for the type of people who simply do not function well in society.   It's a very sad reality, that parents and politians even allow this type of pvp in computer games to even exist.

It's one thing to have a game where you run around with the sole purpose of killing other players using a character that is fairly balanced ie Cod, Battlefield etc than to allow the more pernicious and offensive griefing tactics that are prevelant in mmo games like wow pvp and ark.  But each to their own.  I do agree that overall the game seems to continually cater for pvp side of the play rather than pve, it seems devs pander to those who complain the most and it seems to me at least that ark pvp is really just a game of bullying, griefing and abusing other players.  Not actually competition or fun.

I'd also say that pve servers can hold a stable server population for years.  Pvp servers continually fluctuate as people scrabble to get a foothold that ultimatley falls to servers and players to allow.  On many players seem to think they griefing and pk'ing is actually pvp.  And on most others, it is simply pure frustration at being continually bullied and slaughtered by impossible odds that results in people griefing in any way they can.  ie pillering, foundations over spawns, near other buildings.  Sure you can make explosives or use dinos to destroy them.  But for the most part, it isn't being done to reduce other tribes ability to access resources, it's being done purely to spite all the other players.  On pvp servers it can be resolved.  On pve servers it cannot and pillers, foundation'ing metal spawns etc is commonplace.  On extinction at least, dinos actually destroy structures which is good at least, reducing alot of the pillering.  Timers also reduce it to a degree, but simply building a ladder on a piller extends the mass pillering to a week allowing people to log in, fly around and refresh, log out.. and goto next server to grief.. as seems often the case.

As simple fix for this would be to allow players/tribes a very limited number of buildings in more than one location, this would cause alot of issues, but it would also completely wipe out anyones ability to just piller entire areas.   Give people say the max circle of the dino leash as the max area of their base.  Not including building upwards. And limit them to building say 2-3 bases on a server.. no more pillering no more griefing.

Wildcard has never cared about PvE. Literally the only reason single player and PvE exist is because WildCard realized how much more money they could make. They don't care about a single one of us though. If they did many mechanics would be diferent and several of their choices never would have been made. As it stands now they think they can shrug off complainers and hide behind their high steam player count.

We were in a cave the other night on Scorched Earth, spotted a tasty looking red loot crate, tribe mate went to investigate on our only Thyla

Yeah that one was trapped.. bye bye only Thyla, guess it's just part of the game sometimes

Have also had eggs stolen on multiple occasions on PvE server, because of doors being left open

Best advice I can give is to play cautiously

On 12/2/2018 at 6:00 AM, Jacira said:

It sucks, but really I hope they don't add gameplay preventatives mechanics to make this not possible from happening. Just because it's PvE doesn't mean it shouldn't have very lose PvP mechanics to think about.

The Ark world is a dangerous world. Everyone dies a lot. If we start making players unable to take damage while offline then it would lose a bit of it's grit.

at least that's my opinion.

While I hate it happening to me, it's part of the game.   A good game evokes a multitude of emotions, even anger.   Another alternative is play solo.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:46 AM, Demerus said:

Removed all water.

Well, not this actually. But you can estimate the login time, and essentially set the invulnerable state of a player that is granted to them, set to a timer from joining the server, that ends when the player does something in the game or the timer expires. The reason why people can drown I find is more to do with their character standing up while they are logging in. I am not entirely sure if offline raid protection can or cannot protect against drownings while actually disconnected, or if you can actually drown while actually awol. But I have offline raid protection on PvE set to 5 seconds because I'd rather that people not be pissed. Another setting that can help is the ability to enable -usecache from the server end. So people can effectively load the game back up fast as a result. I am not sure if official servers have this active or not.

I wonder if removing all water would help the in-game performance.

Archived