ARK: Survival Evolved now on Nintendo Switch!

Jen

This game looks nothing like the screenshots and I gotta say I feel a little lied to. I didn't expect it to look even on par with the Xbox and Ps4 versions but its honestly like looking through a grimy pair of glasses that aren't my prescription when its in handheld and isn't the point of this so that I can take it anywhere? In docked mode it looks slightly better but the draw distance is still deplorable, an entire forest can appear in front of you within a few feet without any warning and dinos are no exception to that. I've had a Spino kill me because it popped up out of nowhere 10 feet away from me.

There is also DLC for this game that has been out for YEARS. Why can't I play Scorched Earth on my Switch from the get go? I feel like other companies would have just included it with the game at this point. Or at the very least made available to buy? The lack of DLC AND Ark Sponsored mods makes the game feel emptier, less fun, and in my opinion almost unplayable. I don't even like being able to store only 15 things in a chest on PC where I don't really mind walking back and forth between boxes because everything runs so smoothly and looks so pretty. But when it looks like the devil himself vomited onto my Switch's screen I really would appreciate being able to pull resources to my character from the surrounding containers. 

Just some Food for thought WildCard but until I start to see some improvements I'll be trading mine in for a copy of Diablo.

P.s: And btw no motion controls? on a Switch title? Please don't pull a Fortnite and remove one of the Switch's most enjoyable features.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:05 PM, NeddyTheNoodle said:

The link they have posted on here doesn't even work. It just takes you to a nintendo eshop page that doesn't exist. Why are they trying to push it out when it's not even accessible unless you buy it physically?

actually, it is available on the e shop as of 11/30/18.  Have you tried accessing the game from the shop icon on the switch instead of whining about it to the game devs who worked very hard to bring this game to switch?

ok, right now I would give it a 3.5/5 stars, not because the game isn't good, but because of a combination of a few things.  First of all is the graphics, they are a lot worse.  This might be because of the nintendo switch's low graphics capabilities or it might be because of the new release.  Second is the frame rate.  I've experienced some lag simply just walking around.  I am keeping in mind that this is a NEW RELEASE and will be fixed soon.  I have 2 more things to include.  The text that appears when you hover over/select an item is so agonizingly tiny that it hurts to even TRY to read it. Please add a text size modifier in the settings as well as a motion-sensitive aiming system.  The aiming system is being referred to as in zelda BOTW how when you aimed a weapon you could move your switch to aim better making it easier for you to aim.  Finally, it would be nice if there wasn't a motion blur.  If there isn't please correct me since my switch makes it appear as if there is a motion blur due to low graphics.  I thank you for bringing this brilliant game to the switch.  I thank you for putting the effort in.  I thank you for having to sit through this paragraph of torment. I finally thank you for taking the time to read this far if you have.  Good luck game devs if you see my comment in the stream of others!

5 hours ago, Maxym said:

Docked is fine, handheld is really blurry. I hope they‘ll fix that soon. Otherwise the game is enjoyable and it‘s still ark

that sounds as an excuse and its not acceptable.

if game is blurry as hell when in handheld mode it should be advertised as such, not showing hd textures in the nintendo shop becauee it smells to a SCAM or just a really really bad decision. as for my self I feel scammed and I wouldnt buy this game with such poor graphics its a shame its UGLY (and I lime retro low graphics games), I really wanted to play ark on my switch.

Edited by hbox

How can you charge £45 for a game that is utterly unplayable (at least in handheld mode - which is what many of us are purchasing this version for) in its current state? I played for 30 minutes in handheld mode, and everything was so blurry that I developed a massive headache and had to stop playing. Imagine not being able to focus your eyes for 30 whole minutes - that’s what this is like. 

This looks nothing like the trailers, or the gameplay demo from earlier in the year. The mobile version looks godly in comparison. I’ll be getting a refund. You should be ashamed for releasing it in this condition. 

05F7D564-1F47-4CC0-835D-F0AFDAE127BB.jpeg

Edited by OrangeTornado95

Wildcard has a lot more things to focus on than putting ark on nitendo swich. You guys are still a small team and you never hit your release dates why would you expand to other platforms ?? Rather focus on PC where the "gold mine is" like really ark has so much potential and if they would focus on the things needed they would be soo much more successful.

I like it so far but to be honest the visuals are muddy, every other map is missing so resource gathering and boss fights may be a pain. I would have liked to see more maps. The price for muddy visuals, crazy render distance and even the controls feel awkward. 

$19.99 would have been justified but $49.99 is a waste of money in my opinion. I have not experienced any lag or frame rate issues yet thankfully. 

I would like to see the Center and rag.

I am also extremely annoyed that you would misrepresent the game as much as you did and then have the audacity to charge the full price for an incomplete package. We don't even have the expansions to make this feel like it has a little more value, no, we have ONE MAP.

The graphics look like a watercolor painting, which is an interesting art direction, seeing as i's completely different from every other version out there. How can the Switch be worse than mobile? Just remove the foliage physics and movement and punch up our graphics a little more, I think it would be a lot better that way. No use having a field full of swaying grass and epic god rays that shine through them when the grass looks like slimy pieces of crap.

The game is still fun, but it's not representational and you should fix it, or change your marketing, shame on you. Also, give us the expansions ffs. You won't die.

I love Ark. I love it enough to have actually bought it for steam, and Microsoft on PC, on playstation, also have the mobile version. I've bought the game again for friends to get them to play.  I accept that its buggy, still enjoy it and have given more then my fair share of cash to Wild Card. 

The Nintendo Switch Version I just bought for yet another 50 bucks, makes me sick. I was looking forward to the switch release for MONTHS. This is a steaming pile.  I dont know if it was a last minute fix that ruined it, but if this is how it is then I hope no one else suffers buying this crap. 

This isn't people spoiled by good graphic complaining about not having pc graphics on a hand held, you really CAN NOT effectively play this game undocked. You cant see anything that's not right in front of your face. "Is that a Carno or a rock? Let me walk up and touch it to my nose before before I can tell." This is like watching a bad Gif. Image. It literally hurts your eyes after about 10 minutes. 

I cant figure out why Wild Card couldn't have just had graphics similar to the, let me emphasize,  FREE mobile game that work brilliantly albeit with wonky touch screen controls.  

I'm pissed. This really could have driven interest in Ark. I could have been able to play ark and enjoy it anywhere. Now I'm just regretting giving up another 50 bucks 

Please please PLEASE Wild Card, do something to fix this. 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:15 AM, D7H4 said:

Will there be other dlc in the future?

Yes if you look at avalible crafting items it shows you scorched earth and other items to play with but they arent added. DLC will come later my guess will be they are going to focus on fixing the basic island for now and get it running alright before sending out any special content. Bring scorched earth on. I've got a date with a jerboa. 

Honestly love the game. I'm just a bit disappointed with the graphics as of right now. If you guys could some how get a patch developed to improve the graphics in handheld we as a community would appreciate it. It's very blurry and hard to distinguish a lot of the games plants and animals untill your right up next to them. You guys presented a beautiful Handheld game in that one conference. I think we should at least get a patch for this soon for the graphics. But other then that. It's still amazing to have the game handheld. Just please do something about these blurry graphics.

I run a group for Ark players on Nintendo Switch and I hate to say it but we are not satisfied with the graphics. We love Ark but the graphics are just not meeting our expectations. Quite a few have mentioned that they are returning the game. Will there be patches/updates soon to come to improve this issue? We all want Ark to work great on Nintendo Switch. The following are problems noted from players in my group:

- Very, very low resolution graphics in handheld mode. The visuals are so poor that I cant play for a few minutes without developing a headache. 

- Rendering distances are very poor in handheld mode; many objects don’t fully render until you’re right next to them.

- The entire world seems to need to re-render every time you open and close the in-game menu. 

- When killed by a dinosaur in handheld mode, the HD rumble seems to vibrate to its absolute maximum, so much so that it feels like it’s going to damage my console if it keeps happening. 

- It often takes multiple attempts to join an official server, even when said server isn’t anywhere near to being full.

- Equus go through the mesh and disappear when pooping. Textures also flicker on them when they are rendered again after coming back in range.

- Some single player settings are not saved the next time the game is loaded.

- The ground keeps disappearing.. it's crazy and terrifying when you're getting off a mount and don't know if you're going to fall to your death or not.

- Brightness/gamma needs work or maybe contrast. With gamma all the way up its still nearly impossible to see anything at dark.

For context I own the pc version of Ark with a pc that can run at ultra settings with a steady 60 FPS, I also gave the mobile version a try when it was released. I’m very disappointed with the switch version. I bought the game expecting the graphics to at least look like mobile.... it looks MUCH worse. I hope that they will some how fix the issues in an update.

On 12/6/2018 at 4:14 AM, xSOTKx said:

I run a group for Ark players on Nintendo Switch and I hate to say it but we are not satisfied with the graphics. We love Ark but the graphics are just not meeting our expectations. Quite a few have mentioned that they are returning the game. Will there be patches/updates soon to come to improve this issue? We all want Ark to work great on Nintendo Switch. The following are problems noted from players in my group:

- Very, very low resolution graphics in handheld mode. The visuals are so poor that I cant play for a few minutes without developing a headache. 

- Rendering distances are very poor in handheld mode; many objects don’t fully render until you’re right next to them.

- The entire world seems to need to re-render every time you open and close the in-game menu. 

- When killed by a dinosaur in handheld mode, the HD rumble seems to vibrate to its absolute maximum, so much so that it feels like it’s going to damage my console if it keeps happening. 

- It often takes multiple attempts to join an official server, even when said server isn’t anywhere near to being full.

- Equus go through the mesh and disappear when pooping. Textures also flicker on them when they are rendered again after coming back in range.

- Some single player settings are not saved the next time the game is loaded.

- The ground keeps disappearing.. it's crazy and terrifying when you're getting off a mount and don't know if you're going to fall to your death or not.

- Brightness/gamma needs work or maybe contrast. With gamma all the way up its still nearly impossible to see anything at dark.

You are absolutely right, I have the exact same issues, plus the random game crashes that takes you way a hour back, or worse!

I‘ve heard many people complain about crashes. Yet i have to experience one by myself after about 40 hours. Did you get the game digitally? If yes, have you tried a different sd card or installing the game on the internal storage? Or if you’ve got it physically, try installing the update on the internal storage as well. I‘ve got it physically, installed the update on the internal storage and it runs just fine. Only had a few server disconnects but that was due to my bad connection. 

17 hours ago, Maxym said:

I‘ve heard many people complain about crashes. Yet i have to experience one by myself after about 40 hours. Did you get the game digitally? If yes, have you tried a different sd card or installing the game on the internal storage? Or if you’ve got it physically, try installing the update on the internal storage as well. I‘ve got it physically, installed the update on the internal storage and it runs just fine. Only had a few server disconnects but that was due to my bad connection. 

I bought it digitally, and the files are on my sd card. I'll reinstall it on the switch storage and hope for the best the random crashes stop, that would make the gameplay much better.

Edit: Well, still crashes so I guess that did not work at all. I'm not gonna play it anymore until they update it and fix this mess.

Edited by BjornEvolved
New information aquired for the game crashes