Jump to content
W4RN1NG

Most useful dino?

Recommended Posts

So I'm In PVP (I'm also wondering for PVE) but what is the most useful tame. Don't say something like Achatina, becuase although they are extremley useful, A their upkeep is extremley expensive, and B its not like you can go through PVP as an Achatina as your main tame, there are other ways of getting CP.

Personally, for PVP, definitley the Griffin. They can pick people (they can pick as much stuff as the ptera) and you can shoot off their back while flying and they are fast, dangerous and a pretty easy tame (trap, knock out, fly to highlands or wherever is nearest with sheep, pick the sheep with argent, fly back, wait till hunger is down and feed ez). Other creatures like pteras and argies and maybe gigas (for the raw power) are good, but they are mainly for advance-ish tribes (not becuase they are hard to tame-because they need a huge upkeep and who isn't just gonna snipe them and rage them? Alway cage your gigas far away from your other animals...) Just wondering. (I play small tribes as well, if that helps :D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, Dimorphodons. An imprinted dimo is an absolute shoulder cannon and it has saved my bacon more times than I can count in PvE and PvP situations. They require nearly zero upkeep, they can be a quick early tame, they're fast and easy to breed up quickly, and they're useful pretty much everywhere you go. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pve player here -

Gachas are pretty useful. They can harvest wood, thatch, stone, flint, fiber, they produce a variety of other useful mats, and will occasionaly drop structures or weapons. Easy to tame.

I like the phoenix too, it can harvest almost all the important mats, smelt metal, cook meat, flies fast and is not a bad fighter. Produces pearks, sets enemies on fire by just flying past them.

The equus can be a great help especially at the beginning. A good tame is possible with carrots. You'll get a mobile chemistry bench, it can carry mats and reduces the weight of some of them. It deals torpor with it's kick and you can drag smaller creatures around with a lasso, and with some practice, throw them into traps or down cliffs. It's not slow either and super easy to breed (in pve there's no other way to move wild dinos).

Argy and griffin have already been mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most useful dino... depends at what stage of the game. End game - Rexes, start of new game - Argy.

When i start on a map, I like to get a flier, I want to be able to see the areas around me and Argies give me something to get meat/prime, carry a lot of res, keep me safe from the nasties below and allow me to craft,  so for me are a really good first tame.

Its great getting your first anky, or doed, but without an Argy to take the Anky/Doed to rich veins, it can still be a long grind to get anywhere. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Weiss said:

Pve player here -

Gachas are pretty useful. They can harvest wood, thatch, stone, flint, fiber, they produce a variety of other useful mats, and will occasionaly drop structures or weapons. Easy to tame.

I like the phoenix too, it can harvest almost all the important mats, smelt metal, cook meat, flies fast and is not a bad fighter. Produces pearks, sets enemies on fire by just flying past them.

The equus can be a great help especially at the beginning. A good tame is possible with carrots. You'll get a mobile chemistry bench, it can carry mats and reduces the weight of some of them. It deals torpor with it's kick and you can drag smaller creatures around with a lasso, and with some practice, throw them into traps or down cliffs. It's not slow either and super easy to breed (in pve there's no other way to move wild dinos).

Argy and griffin have already been mentioned.

ya the gachas are pretty OP- got an asc assault rifle with 400% dmg (or something like that) though its not like you can travel around the map with them- argies are pretty dam useful, even low levels are pretty good for carrying stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

In my experience, Dimorphodons. An imprinted dimo is an absolute shoulder cannon and it has saved my bacon more times than I can count in PvE and PvP situations. They require nearly zero upkeep, they can be a quick early tame, they're fast and easy to breed up quickly, and they're useful pretty much everywhere you go. 

well i want know how u use them and for what :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theriz is the hands down champ.    It can gather many different types of resources and do it better than any other gatherer.    It can easily be your main boss killing dino.    I can even gather meat despite being a herbivore.    And it's small enough to not cause a cluster$*@% at the tek door.

The only thing that comes close is, surprisingly, the gacha.     Placed correctly with owl vomit, they can mass produce any material you need except for chitin/cementing paste, and all they require is a lot of stone or trash tool drops.    Plus you get the bonus mastercraft/ascendant gear that's boss worthy.

Edited by Migol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All

Anky or doed. I liked the fact they can harvest tons of metal or stone for something that's "easy" to tame.

Theri. They are decent in wood and resource harvesting. Plus you can level how they harvest as well.

Argy. Tlc really make them more versatile in carrying goodies and Dino like anky. Plus they have reduced carry in some materials as well.

Scorched earth

Wyvern. The attack kind of the draconis family. Really like them, but it can be problematic if not carefully used, esp for lightning.

Aberration

Rock drake. While their usefulness are rather limited within said map, they can still be used mostly for moving around at most maps. When the transfer for extinction opens for these creatures I might bring one over just to move around the sanctuary.

Reaper king. The crux of rex and giga... If you can survive the gruelling 22 hr to reach juvy reaper. (12hr gestation and 10hr wait for it to reach juvy so it doesn't glitch out). Like the rock drake, when extinction opens foreign transfer, I may bring a spare reaper king over.

Extinction

Velonasaur. One term: op. Agressivr and encumbered and you get a walking defense of doom with its deadly spine. Or just flat out destructive if you can get a decent generatioj going for these bad boy .. not to mention their maturation timer is similar to that of hounds and smaller Dino.

Snow owl. It can't allow rider to shoot stuff unlike Griffin, but it sure as hell can swoop down and up, plus it can cause regen as well.

 

Honourable mentions

Both gasbag and basilisk can literally carry more than any other creature other than titan and titanosaur. But I can't say they are the most useful since their mobility are annoying to move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 7:40 AM, LadyIce said:

well i want know how u use them and for what :)

I use them for a lot...pretty much always having one on my shoulder on Neutral/Attack Target. They're live-savers if you're in areas where Kapros, Megas, Raptors, Microraptors, Honey Badgers...generally anything that can dismount, tranq, or disable you.

I dump all of my retired breed dimos into my vault/important rooms on PvP servers (along with Arthros, dimos, and badgers)...they'll usually wreck face when people break in.

They're awesome in caves as well, anything with flying creatures (bugs, bats) they'll quickly take care of things that aggro you instead of your mount in a few bites.

Because they have super low elapsed breed times you can build up an army pretty quickly, and that can be super helpful in early game stuff when you're not using the best tames. In early-game if I run into something that I can't fight (ie: on a raptor and attacked by a large carnivore/alpha) I'll ditch it and get some time to escape...many times it will kill the dino by itself, especially if the server is a little laggy.

Lots of other dinos have great utility and a lot of uses, but I use the dimo more than any other individual dino.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

I use them for a lot...pretty much always having one on my shoulder on Neutral/Attack Target. They're live-savers if you're in areas where Kapros, Megas, Raptors, Microraptors, Honey Badgers...generally anything that can dismount, tranq, or disable you.

I dump all of my retired breed dimos into my vault/important rooms on PvP servers (along with Arthros, dimos, and badgers)...they'll usually wreck face when people break in.

They're awesome in caves as well, anything with flying creatures (bugs, bats) they'll quickly take care of things that aggro you instead of your mount in a few bites.

Because they have super low elapsed breed times you can build up an army pretty quickly, and that can be super helpful in early game stuff when you're not using the best tames. In early-game if I run into something that I can't fight (ie: on a raptor and attacked by a large carnivore/alpha) I'll ditch it and get some time to escape...many times it will kill the dino by itself, especially if the server is a little laggy.

Lots of other dinos have great utility and a lot of uses, but I use the dimo more than any other individual dino.

ok.. thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 1:22 PM, Qwertymine said:

For my purposes? 

1. Titanosaur

2. Wyverns

3. Therizinosaurus

4. Phoenix

5. Gacha

Overall? Probably the Theri. Good fighter, gatherer, and you can do boss fights with them. 

Any Titan from extinction still beats Titanosaur... And they're not easy tames either :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...