Instant kill is a thing?

Melcreif

4 hours ago, Elliebird said:

They really should've gone with a bubble instead of a death barrier. Especially a death barrier that doesn't have accurate markings.

Then people would have complained about it not being lore-accurate.  You're supposed to be planetside, so no giant bubble.  

So far, I've gotten lucky.  I flew into it, got a warning and red edging on my screen, and immediately turned back before anything took damage.

4 hours ago, Cocon42 said:

Hi guys, i posted a bug i need resolving, but no one has seen it. Does anyone know how to fix the crash bug on windows 10 version?

This is not the forum, or even the thread for this.  You need to post to the bug/tech support forum.

3 hours ago, Scrysis said:

Then people would have complained about it not being lore-accurate.  You're supposed to be planetside, so no giant bubble.  

So far, I've gotten lucky.  I flew into it, got a warning and red edging on my screen, and immediately turned back before anything took damage.

There is a few Milli distance warning before the death barrier start reaping the unfortunate souls that unforeseen the warning.

Oddly enough, it does enough damage to completely negate god/infinite stats. I guess it's a kill switch against the god admins. Lol

On 11/22/2018 at 5:20 PM, Scrysis said:

This is not the forum, or even the thread for this.  You need to post to the bug/tech support forum.

No reason that you can't have a bubble on the planet. They could've come up with a lore reason easily to be honest, especially since there is no lore reason for the death barrier.

Yes it seems a pretty overly callous way of stopping players from crossing the edge of the map.  I've been told that if you go close you get a border warning, but I was looking for the entrance to sunken forest, omw to get a saddle for a casto i'd tamed and bang.. instantly killed.  My only tamed pt dead, resources that'd taken me hours to find and smelt, grind lost.   Given the time lost having to tame a decent pt with bugs that stopped the bola from working, I found it quite insulting to find myself with such losses for ultimately no reason than that of spiteful intention by the developers to frustrate it's own customers by laughing in their faces.

Calling the servers extinction, shouldn't resort to this level of anti customer satisfaction.  On almost every over gaming world there's either a solid barrier a warning or a sandstorm like effect that slows your speed to a crawl.  Never before have I seen a game that just outright kills you simply because you crossed an invisible line, it isn't like the "zone" is a perfect square of map, but has zone edges that zig zag about that are almost impossible to distinguish with what is safe and what is outside the area of control.

It is another example where clearly Ark is intended for a type of discompassionate player, rather than those who actually frequent it.

On 11/25/2018 at 4:06 PM, M4rt1n said:

Yes it seems a pretty overly callous way of stopping players from crossing the edge of the map.  I've been told that if you go close you get a border warning, but I was looking for the entrance to sunken forest, omw to get a saddle for a casto i'd tamed and bang.. instantly killed.  My only tamed pt dead, resources that'd taken me hours to find and smelt, grind lost.   Given the time lost having to tame a decent pt with bugs that stopped the bola from working, I found it quite insulting to find myself with such losses for ultimately no reason than that of spiteful intention by the developers to frustrate it's own customers by laughing in their faces.

Calling the servers extinction, shouldn't resort to this level of anti customer satisfaction.  On almost every over gaming world there's either a solid barrier a warning or a sandstorm like effect that slows your speed to a crawl.  Never before have I seen a game that just outright kills you simply because you crossed an invisible line, it isn't like the "zone" is a perfect square of map, but has zone edges that zig zag about that are almost impossible to distinguish with what is safe and what is outside the area of control.

It is another example where clearly Ark is intended for a type of discompassionate player, rather than those who actually frequent it.

Ark is a hardcore survival game and, no offence to you, It's almost mandatory that you get more than 1 flyer early game, PvP or PvE, because it's going to die. To be honest, how many resources did you have on a pre-bred ptera? Max weight was probably high 200's, maybe 300ish. Besides that fact, I personally like the world border, and there's no way you can miss it. There's huge metal network tower looking things that are red, make a high pitched "ping" sound, then you get the red screen with some slight damage before death. Even without the screen the ping noise would be enough to understand what would happen. 

On 11/29/2018 at 11:21 AM, TINYMAN said:

Ark is a hardcore survival game and, no offence to you, It's almost mandatory that you get more than 1 flyer early game, PvP or PvE, because it's going to die. To be honest, how many resources did you have on a pre-bred ptera? Max weight was probably high 200's, maybe 300ish. Besides that fact, I personally like the world border, and there's no way you can miss it. There's huge metal network tower looking things that are red, make a high pitched "ping" sound, then you get the red screen with some slight damage before death. Even without the screen the ping noise would be enough to understand what would happen. 

That hardcore survival game only started using a kill barrier with this newest expansion. Yes, you want to have backups of all your dinos, but that isn't the issue being discussed here. Moving from a bubble barrier that prevented you from going any further to a KILL barrier that has no clear indicators (more on that in a moment) was a bad move to make. It is not only unnecessary, but sloppily done.

Now for the kill barrier itself. It has no clear, consistent indicator of where the true threshold is, unlike the bubble where you can clearly see it and rub up against it. The red markers are not accurate. In the Snow Biome, you can fly way up into the mountains, well beyond the red markers that were placed along the edge of it, and you won't get any kind of warning or get killed. Meanwhile, just the other day I was trying to grab a Thyla in the Wasteland and I started getting the warnings when I squished up against the side of a cliff. No red markers in sight. It is a downgrade in every sense, to go from clear cut borders that you can visibly distinguish no matter where you are, to general "Eh, it might be here, it might not be." guideposts that can be hidden by the landscape.

The other problem is that it doesn't always give you the warning. Our server admin is terrified of flying anywhere even remotely close to the edge of the map, as she and her favorite wyvern got insta-killed while she was flying from the snow biome to the sunken forest entrance. No warning, no red screen, no debuff, nothing. She just died. This also happened to another player on our server, when he flew too high up. Again with no warning, no indication that he was out of bounds. Rather than reaching a ceiling and being unable to fly any higher, he and his tame just died.

I am fine with a kill-barrier. However, I agree that it should be better marked. The pinging starts before you get close to the red towers, but only in some places. Out past the sulfur and sludge, I was able to fly past the red towers for a bit with nothing to fear, but flying from snow to forest in a straight line over the boss arena caused instant death to me and my brand new max level tames, without a pinging sound and without a flashing screen or ticking damage. And in another incident, I wanted to go to the top of the city building in the middle on my gasbag, until suddenly before reaching the top, my screen went crazy and i started burning. I immediately bailed off the creature and skydived to my safety. Luckily my gasbag decided to do the same and we survived it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know people have had issues with the barrier on extinction. However, now after my 3rd encounter personally I'm curious to see if anybody knows if WC has any plans to change it.

I play on PS4 official and the problem I have had for the 3rd time in a row is I will be extremely far away from the kill barrier on my Mana cruising around.

(Pry a good 30 seconds away from barrier if I turned and tried to dash/run to it, so very far.)

In the process of jumping around I will notice the game goes into one of its giant lagg spikes which lasts 10-20 seconds. I stop moving around, then 20 seconds later the game resumes and now I am half a mile into the kill barrier and I'm dead, Manas dead, and all my stuff is lost.

This has happened to numerous others on my server as well, and I have even been spawned half way across the map into a river and my Mana drowned during a lag spike while I was sitting in my base (which is besides the initial point of the kill barrier, but still has relevance due to lagg spikes being the main problem with the barrier.)

Why don't they do away with the kill barrier and go with the traditional force field?

I understand when it comes to story canon, we aren't technically on an Ark, we are on Earth, thus no force field. Instead it imitates the rest of the earth being a radiation filled kill zone.

Neat idea, but your game is not optimized for this kind of a feature. Everyone knows your servers have problems when it comes to stability, so please consider a different route then a kill barrier. :)

Until then, RIP future Manas.

Edit: Heres the problem for you visual seekers. https://mobile.twitter.com/prodestinystrm/status/1075188634096144385

Same has happened to me twice. I am well aware of the barrier, and will be nowhere near it, but those lag spikes can be deadly. It seems that with the current server performance issues, an adjustment to the location correction after lag would be a good fix for this. I honestly can't tell if it is taking my jumps/dashes that happened prior/during lag, or not, because it's impossible to know what the heck is going on for minutes during the atrocious lag spikes. 

Please note patch updates:

Managarmr

• Fixed anim bug related to Ice Breath
  • Fixes for several orientation desyncs
  • Fixes for desyncs when moving on low fps server
  • Minor buff to landing damage
  • Improvements to ice breath targeting
  • Added message when you are unable to dive
  • Slowed down baby Managarmrs

Performance

• Improvements to server performance

This may go towards somewhat fixing these issues. 

49 minutes ago, d1nk said:

LOL that gif is hilarious

Sorry for your pain though. Now THAT is getting arked!

Lol it's funny to me also because the Devs thought a kill barrier would be a great idea when the game has a tendency to spawn you into an undisclosed location. Killing you over and over. Then never fix it, or mention to fix it lol.

But for real, this problem is the definition of getting Arked. Especially 3 times for me. I don't even bother submitting a ticket because even with video proof I doubt they will restore anything I lost. So I just move on. I...bitterly...move on lol

My only hope is a Dev may skim past this post and become aware of how bad this situation is. My hope's are high :)

Archived