Extinction: Possible solution to wandering Corrupted

Anarki

So I have seen on my extinction server many messages about Corrupted Wyverns, Gigas etc that have either wandered or have been kited into the City and caused mayhem for people either 'live' on server or to those who log in and find their base wiped.

A possible solution would be for the Corrupted to be warded off from the city limits with beacons and therefore stay away from the city. As soon as they came close to a beacon from either wandering or being kited, they lose aggro and head back out to the wasteland.

Any suggestions or other ideas? 

What do you think?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Anarki said:

So I have seen on my extinction server many messages about Corrupted Wyverns, Gigas etc that have either wandered or have been kited into the City and caused mayhem for people either 'live' on server or to those who log in and find their base wiped.

A possible solution would be for the Corrupted to be warded off from the city limits with beacons and therefore stay away from the city. As soon as they came close to a beacon from either wandering or being kited, they lose aggro and head back out to the wasteland.

What do you think?

Need to figure something out. Way too easy to kill people with them in any biome. So far we’ve had wyverns, reapers and a giga down in the forest. At least they gave us some meat down there. Lol

4 hours ago, Anarki said:

What do you think?

Its fine, Extinction should be the hardest map so let them wander. Build you'r base  where the gigas can't reach it, and make some turrets against the wyverns.

It’s an ok mechanic for an endgame map however I think Tek turrets should shred them. Currently all turrets do next to no damage to corrupt dinos only “turret” defense that works against them is the velonasaur. I get why turrets do no damage so you can’t drop battery turrets to defend drops but knowbodys gonna drop a Tek tower to defend a drop so let Tek turret shred corrupt dinos or do normal damage to them 

So we’ve spent all of our time on extinction since it dropped (PS4 Official PVE servers). What I’ve come to realize, through this week and some change process, is that PVE isn’t the PVE I enjoy on extinction. Corrupted dinos have changed the dynamics of a true Player VS Environment system so much. I like the intent and the map is alright (albeit a bit scarce on resources and Wild dinos).

But I think Wildcard has missed the mark here. I know it’s a game geared towards PVP, but up until this map, we “lesser” PVE’ers were happy to build, breed, and explore the maps with our allies and go to war with our enemies as needed. Noe though, all we’re doing is defending.

Whether it’s from people kiting or the generally terrible AI, corrupted dinos of all levels and flavors are ending up in parts of the map where there is little to no defense from any tribe other than the few of us that saw the writing on the wall and went out and tamed gigas. 

We spent four hours last night in the forest and city chasing down 288-318 level wyverns for people. I lost a gacha to one of the 318 wyverns when it attacked my base. Luckily the plant species slowed it down enough for me to get on the giga and dispatch with it. 

I also watched an entire tribe get kited and wiped for being jerks. They blocked a pathway intentionally, and a guy couldn’t get out of his base with any land dinos. So the guy dropped reapers and corrupt gigas on top of the gates and demolished them. 

I’m all for the corrupted dinos, I think they play a decent role in the story of Ark.  But for them to be able to destroy metal and tek so easily seems beyond OP to me. 

I don’t see myself playing this map for much longer. I’ll take my owls and managmr and gacha and velos back to a safe map and breed them, as I’m not sure I’m cut out for this PVPish style map. 

some little quotes:

true Player VS Environment system

there is still a VERSUS in the phrase... it is not "i breed afk, build a base and nothing can harm me", on extinction there is finally a real struggle to survive, not only the first 2 days and after that you can safely afk inside of the base

I also watched an entire tribe get kited and wiped for being jerks. They blocked a pathway intentionally, and a guy couldn’t get out of his base with any land dinos. So the guy dropped reapers and corrupt gigas on top of the gates and demolished them. 

totally deserved, for me there is no difference if WC devwipes them or if this guy did, be a jerk, get treated like one

But for them to be able to destroy metal and tek so easily seems beyond OP to me. 

hm, metal should be destroyed easily, they are element creatures after all, tek could maybe be a bit harder to destroy as it is right now

I enjoy extinction so far (PC PvE), and even more so because the stupid, ugly huge boxes on groundlvl are not a safe option anymore as a base. There is no PvP pressure in PvE and yet the people still build bases that are just ugly af, no effiency in building, no style, just a big huge block. Now they have a challenge, build on highground = gigadefense problem solved, get velona-turrets, paired with xplants = wyvern problems solves, build in a spot that enables creative building and so on^^

Aside from that, i like that there is an actual challenge with red and purple drops now, even for PvE. You cant just afk breed 20 rexes and then rush the boss, now you actually need to think about some strategy if you want to do that stuff with a small player base. Sure, with 10+ people it is still easy, but you cant avoid that i guess^^. And not only that: WC managed brign new dinos in, that have an advantage over the alrdy existing op bred stuff that will be transfered in after the 60d period: enforcers are nice for lower drops, the owls are rly smooth for taming, manas and velonas have their own use and so on. The OP rexes or theris wont be that useful, maybe for drops, but not necessary like before.

So... i like extinction, if not for the constant server crashes......^^

Yah I think this map is much more PVE than PVP compared to the other maps.  I go back to the name of the game "Survival Evolved".  It's not "taming to your hearts content evolved", or "breeding and building to your hearts content evolved."  It needs to be hard, and I can say there is no issue here, this map is hard.  That being said there are certainly places you can build where there isn't any issues with Corrupted being able to wipe your base so I don't see this as an issue TBH.

I’d be fine if it were a true Player VS Environment. But the constant kiting from trolls has turned it into Player wiped or loses everything. 

And I'm totally all for the d-bags losing their entire base because they maliciously blocked the path. That’s why I watched it go down and enjoyed every minute. But that could easily be me on the receiving end with someone who’s dedicated and there’s no amount of PVP’ing or safety from it. That’s my bigger issue. The ease of kiting down into the biomes. Truly no safe spots. 

We built in the forest up on a high ridge for safety. Great for everything except the wyverns. So we’re moving to a new location (due to not only wyvern frequency, but the lack of dinos down there). 

Hopefully there can be a balance somehow that makes aggroing them into the biomes harder. Otherwise they will end up wiping everyone on the map over and over with a ptera. 

I posted an answer to these Corrupted dino pathing issues and nobody actually replied which was kind of rude. 

WC could make a change to the map by implementing pulse beacons around the city limits. These would essentially scare off corrupted dinos make them return to the wasteland etc. Thsi would limit (not stop) kiting and provide a bit more playability.

If they didnt want to make the pulse beacons a permanent feature - add it as a Tekgram that people could build and put around their bases - should be limited to mabye just 3 though - that would stop people from protecting and building multiple bases all over the map.

What do you think?

12 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

there needs to be a building material that cant be damaged by corrupted dinos

or just get rid of corrupted dinos all together

extinction is basically like playing on the other ark map with a thatch base

Thats a bit extreme. They have designed Ext with these new dinos in mind. There just needs to be a limit on where they roam or the amount of damage they do to Tek structures.

Its the hardcore map so it should definitely give people a bit of worry and no longer sit in their bases without a second thought on defences or whether they are safe.

16 minutes ago, Anarki said:

WC could make a change to the map by implementing pulse beacons around the city limits. These would essentially scare off corrupted dinos make them return to the wasteland etc.

The city and the domes are not intended to be safe zones. It's even in the story of Extinction. This shows that this is 100% intended and imo it's absolutely fine.

15 minutes ago, Woodsman said:

or just get rid of corrupted dinos all together

On all the other maps, you were perfectly safe after a few days. Now you actually have to defend your stuff in PvE as well. As some others mentioned above: this is a survival game.

5 minutes ago, Finall said:

The city and the domes are not intended to be safe zones. It's even in the story of Extinction. This shows that this is 100% intended and imo it's absolutely fine.

On all the other maps, you were perfectly safe after a few days. Now you actually have to defend your stuff in PvE as well. As some others mentioned above: this is a survival game.

I can survive the dinos naturally. It’s the unnatural presence that poses a problem. When you end up with 7-12 corrupt gigas on your base, it’s going to end poorly. 

So today a scammer/kiter decided to start kiting anyone and everyone with corrupted gigas and wyverns. As the base is being demolished, he’s dumping any bags on the ground so nobody could attempt to get their stuff back. 

We are resorting to running a secondary tribe for ORP on the gates of the base. This will protect against the gigas at least. And then we will get four or five turret towers up and running as well as 10-20 velos to defend against the wyverns. 

I just hope we can build quickly enough before he finds or kites our base...

gotta love PVE.  I wish reports would actually do something. 30+ people on server have reported him. But I’m certain nothing will come of it just like every other time I’ve reported kiters with clear video and image evidence. They don’t deny doing it. And don’t care if they get wiped/blocked. Because nothing will happen. :/

41 minutes ago, flamron said:

So today a scammer/kiter decided to start kiting anyone and everyone with corrupted gigas and wyverns. As the base is being demolished, he’s dumping any bags on the ground so nobody could attempt to get their stuff back. 

We are resorting to running a secondary tribe for ORP on the gates of the base. This will protect against the gigas at least. And then we will get four or five turret towers up and running as well as 10-20 velos to defend against the wyverns. 

gotta love PVE.  I wish reports would actually do something. 30+ people on server have reported him. But I’m certain nothing will come of it just like every other time I’ve reported kiters with clear video and image evidence. They don’t deny doing it. And don’t care if they get wiped/blocked. Because nothing will happen. :/

That's most likely because Devs stop caring about people kiting bases. Even though it is stated in code of conduct, they have blantantly stated that kiting is no longer against the rule, hence why griefer keeps doing that despite the code of conduct not changing, as they know the Devs will not lay a finger on them 

11 hours ago, Vaculity said:

That's most likely because Devs stop caring about people kiting bases. Even though it is stated in code of conduct, they have blantantly stated that kiting is no longer against the rule, hence why griefer keeps doing that despite the code of conduct not changing, as they know the Devs will not lay a finger on them 

Very true. The entire server has turned on them and is actively kiting them back. We’ve killed one of his four small outposts so far. Killed the giga he had. Just need to get his mana’s Killed and I think he will probably leave the server. 

Hard to build a base off the ground our server resets every couple of hours.

12 hours ago, flamron said:

Sounds like my server. Ive been wiped by the same guy 3 times. Reported with screenshots.

When I first started on official pve extinction, I built in the wasteland (well on the border of the city). Everything was fine for a few days then someone aggro many corrupted dinos to my base and destroyed everything. As it is against ARK rules to do that sort of thing on PvE, I was quite sad, but it was my own fault for building there. 

I think corrupted dinos should be restricted to wastelands only - No city, no snow, no desert and no jungle. But doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon cuz dev's have basically disappeared. 

• Anarki changed the title to Extinction: Possible solution to wandering Corrupted

Archived