Titans seem to be starving in singleplayer? Working as intended?

EmberStar

So a little while ago a patch nerfed the new Titans.  I'm guessing the intent was to put more limits on them for online play and especially PVP.  But it seems like some of the changes are affecting them in Singleplayer.  I was watching a video by someone who plays in singleplayer mode, and they opened the stats for a GMSummoned Forest titan.  And it looked like it was losing food.  I'm wondering if the "stops regaining health an hour after being tamed" might not also be affecting singleplayer. 

Given how hard it probably is to tame a Titan in singleplayer, is it on purpose that it's no longer a permanent tame?  (Because if it eventually starves and/or dies of accumulated damage, it's kind of *not* permanent.)  Or is this just a case of "changes were made for PVP, and no one cared what it does to singleplayer mode?"

2 hours ago, EmberStar said:

So a little while ago a patch nerfed the new Titans.  I'm guessing the intent was to put more limits on them for online play and especially PVP.  But it seems like some of the changes are affecting them in Singleplayer.  I was watching a video by someone who plays in singleplayer mode, and they opened the stats for a GMSummoned Forest titan.  And it looked like it was losing food.  I'm wondering if the "stops regaining health an hour after being tamed" might not also be affecting singleplayer. 

Given how hard it probably is to tame a Titan in singleplayer, is it on purpose that it's no longer a permanent tame?  (Because if it eventually starves and/or dies of accumulated damage, it's kind of *not* permanent.)  Or is this just a case of "changes were made for PVP, and no one cared what it does to singleplayer mode?"

They might not have had allow raid Dino feeding checked in the settings, which may affect that.

I really, really, *really* don't like using cheats, but I wanted to test this.  I GMSummoned a Forest Titan and just parked it in my singleplayer game.  It *is* slowly starving to death, and can't be force fed.  Or more accurately, doesn't gain food from anything you force feed it.  (It seems to be able to consume anything edible, but doing so provides no health and no food value.)  I *do* have Raid Dino Feeding enabled, so it appears that Titans are immune to that setting.

So at the moment, Titans are *not* permanent in Singleplayer.  As near as I can tell, it will eventually starve and die.  Since they also now take massively increased damage when fighting other Titans, this seems to make them... kind of completely pointless in Singleplayer.  They don't harvest resources, they can't survive a fight with another Titan, they're *worse* than useless for defending Orbital Supply Drops, and since they'll eventually die they aren't even something you can keep around as a mobile base.  :( 

The Forest Titan also seems to have a super hard time walking up steep slopes and can't jump, which makes getting it anywhere near deep water super risky.  I'm back on the Ragnarok map, and was trudging along the beach to find somewhere to park it.  Slipped down one of the cliffs that are everywhere underwater, and had to walk clear around to the Blue Obelisk before I lucked out and found a spot were I could sort of thrash around and get back onto the beach.

20 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I really, really, *really* don't like using cheats, but I wanted to test this.  I GMSummoned a Forest Titan and just parked it in my singleplayer game.  It *is* slowly starving to death, and can't be force fed.  Or more accurately, doesn't gain food from anything you force feed it.  (It seems to be able to consume anything edible, but doing so provides no health and no food value.)  I *do* have Raid Dino Feeding enabled, so it appears that Titans are immune to that setting.

So at the moment, Titans are *not* permanent in Singleplayer.  As near as I can tell, it will eventually starve and die.  Since they also now take massively increased damage when fighting other Titans, this seems to make them... kind of completely pointless in Singleplayer.  They don't harvest resources, they can't survive a fight with another Titan, they're *worse* than useless for defending Orbital Supply Drops, and since they'll eventually die they aren't even something you can keep around as a mobile base.  :( 

The Forest Titan also seems to have a super hard time walking up steep slopes and can't jump, which makes getting it anywhere near deep water super risky.  I'm back on the Ragnarok map, and was trudging along the beach to find somewhere to park it.  Slipped down one of the cliffs that are everywhere underwater, and had to walk clear around to the Blue Obelisk before I lucked out and found a spot were I could sort of thrash around and get back onto the beach.

Boy thats disappointing to hear, it is a major shame too because the devs probably wont patch it for a while since its in single player and the rest of the game is in shambles at the moment.  Thanks for doing the testing.

49 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Well then probably a dev oversight but really does it matter. No one plays single player anyway why would you bother its awful.

Erm, you would be surprised how many ppl actually play singleplayer, and the reason people play Singleplayer is cuz some of us prefer a solo, and may I add, fully adjustable experience. And yes, you can set the settings on your own non-official, but even there you still have bugs, and a private server's only going to get as big as your friends list of people who actually play the game. It deserves just as much respect as multiplayer, even despite the fact that Wildcard doesn't seem to have much for either department left. And I say this despite how good I feel Extinction is.

4 minutes ago, Bull1128 said:

Erm, you would be surprised how many ppl actually play singleplayer, and the reason people play Singleplayer is cuz some of us prefer a solo, and may I add, fully adjustable experience. And yes, you can set the settings on your own non-official, but even there you still have bugs, and a private server's only going to get as big as your friends list of people who actually play the game. It deserves just as much respect as multiplayer, even despite the fact that Wildcard doesn't seem to have much for either department left. And I say this despite how good I feel Extinction is.

No it really doesn't. The game is marketed and sold as a multiplayer game. That's what is based upon and was developed. Things like single player were thrown in to tick a box but its quite evident they receive little focus or attention from the devs because its not an important part of the game.

For most people that play this game single player is really just their "test" mode. When a new map or dinos are added or a major change, you wipe the dust off single player load it up and spawn in the dinos or the map and see what is new or changed. Then you take your new knowledge back to the main game ie the Official servers.

52 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

No it really doesn't. The game is marketed and sold as a multiplayer game. That's what is based upon and was developed. Things like single player were thrown in to tick a box but its quite evident they receive little focus or attention from the devs because its not an important part of the game.

For most people that play this game single player is really just their "test" mode. When a new map or dinos are added or a major change, you wipe the dust off single player load it up and spawn in the dinos or the map and see what is new or changed. Then you take your new knowledge back to the main game ie the Official servers.

Except you would also be surprised at how many who play this don't have good/any 24/7 Internet connection, and it's just as important for those of us who can't afford both the internet and PS+ or whatever service they must buy, if there is one, and not every single person who does play this is in it for the multiplayer aspect. And while you can play it as a test server, there are people who use it to enjoy the game how they wish, without the risk of other players, as, mind you, even in pve that can be an issue and not having to operate based on server rules/limits/limitations invites more freedom into the game.

You also have to consider fewer bugs due to the lack of reliance on servers, and, well, even if Wildcard never intended to get a decently-sized singleplayer playerbase, fact is, they've got one. And indeed, it is their decision whether or not to support it, but they will face backlash and, rightly so, from fans who prefer to play the game Singleplayer with decisions such as these.

Lol. Single player is an important part of the game, while it might not be the most popular mode its still important. While the titan permanent tame on single player issue might not be high on the priority list atm it does kinda matter, especially if the devs have said it should be a thing. To dismiss a game mode like that saying it isnt important.... its a sand box game.. lol you play how you like it and not how someone else tells you.

14 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Lol. Single player is an important part of the game, while it might not be the most popular mode its still important. While the titan permanent tame on single player issue might not be high on the priority list atm it does kinda matter, especially if the devs have said it should be a thing. To dismiss a game mode like that saying it isnt important.... its a sand box game.. lol you play how you like it and not how someone else tells you.

Important? No not at all.

It is the least relevant part of the game. I'm sure the statistics would show its the least played mode of all and by a long way. The game was built from the ground up as a multiplayer experience. Everything from the limitations on unlocking all the Engrams to dino taming times are evidence of this. It was designed around players playing multiplayer, working together in tribes to become strong and then killing the other tribes. Everything else is secondary.

14 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Important? No not at all.

It is the least relevant part of the game. I'm sure the statistics would show its the least played mode of all and by a long way. The game was built from the ground up as a multiplayer experience. Everything from the limitations on unlocking all the Engrams to dino taming times are evidence of this. It was designed around players playing multiplayer, working together in tribes to become strong and then killing the other tribes. Everything else is secondary.

But you do realize it being secondary and it not being important are two different things, correct? Even if it's not the top genre this game goes for, fact is that it is still relevant, even if not the most popular, and any gutting involving the aspect in question will gather quite the outrage from fans of said aspect. While it's not the sole reason the game exists, if it didn't, as you mentioned earlier, players would lose the ability to test items freely without server limitations or interference or player interference. And that's only concerning one side of the coin concerning the singleplayer aspect. Others lose an entire sandbox and singleplayer mode, and while that wouldn't be the end of ARK, it would kill off a decent portion of the fanbase. I hate to insult people, but if you would take ten seconds to realize just how big the crowd is concerning no internet, no service (again, if said service needs to be paid for) and those who just don't like multiplayer who play ARK (or in other words took your head out of your *censored*), you would realize there are a lot more crowds who play ARK than just those who like multiplayer. Singleplayer people, sandbox people, people who enjoy only doing couch co-op, people who like to build stuff, people who like to explore without a bunch of others across the map, etc. Hell, I've personally enjoyed countless more hours than I ever did online. Like it or not, regardless of whether or not it was intended, it can be and is just as much of a singleplayer game as the multiplayer aspect.

Well im here to bk up salt and riprav lol, zup boys.  And id lik to gv a TY to bull, u rly nailed it on the head.  Im a pure SP guy, nvr once been on a multiplayer server evr on ark.  If not for SP mode id nvr of got this game.  Tht would b because 1 ps+ is of the devil lol (expected this bs frm microsoft...Not u sony -_-) rly i just cant afford it.  2ndly im a pve type and i see no advantage to a tribe in pve mode.  Evrything is doable and is more properly progression based, which is more important to pve immersion, wen u play it solo.  We dnt got lvl 1s flying a quetz tht their frnds helped em tame...Just not right.  Thn throw in ppl just suck in general and u hv a ton of rsn to avoid multiplayer.  Blocked base building, dino cap, spawn blocking dinos(This can b badly troubling for bary hunting on island), ppl gathering up all the resources or wiping an area of dinos tht u may of needed...Other players r just a pain 90% of the time.

3 hours ago, Jabnlab said:

Since its on singleplay, have you tried

admincheat infinitestats 

Or does it not work on the titans?  I know its cheating but its a way to get around it untill its fixed if it works

I don't really know, I try to avoid using cheats.  I had the impression that a lot of cheats reset when the server restarts.  Which, in Singleplayer, is every time you load the game and start playing again.  I know that "stuff comes undone on a server restart" is why I can't have my bigfoots in Aberration wander around with a buldbog on their shoulder to keep the Nameless out - every time I start playing again, the bulbdogs are left floating in space because they get dismounted.  :(

I summoned the one Titan for testing purposes, with the full intention that I'd just ignore it until I bounce back to Extinction and tame one "for reals."  Assuming that's even possible solo.  I'm waiting for them to sort out more of the Extinction bugs before I move there.  (And in the meantime I want to unlock the rest of the boss tekgrams and explorer notes and creature dossiers.)

Unlike someone else in this thread, I don't claim to speak for everyone else.  Or anyone else.  I play exclusively Singleplayer though, and there is less than zero chance I would ever try to play online.  I have a job where "real life" can happen, sometimes for a month or more.  I have no interest in playing in a mode where I'd be guaranteed to lose everything anytime I couldn't log in for a couple of days.  (Structure decay, creature starvation, and just people generally going out of their way to be jerks and doing stuff like... oh, I don't know, kiting Corrupted Wyverns into offline players bases on PVE servers just for the lulz.)

If someone enjoys online play, that's nice.  But please don't confuse "it's not a problem FOR ME" with "It can't be a problem AT ALL."

*Edit*  I'm not max level yet, but supposedly if you play with Singleplayer Settings turned on, it greatly increases the amount of Engram Points you get each level.  To the point that you *CAN* build almost everything.  Or at least the stuff that has any use in a solo game - you'd probably have to skip the Heavy Turrets and a few other expensive high level Engrams.  Again, supposedly.  I'm not high level enough to know for sure, and I don't feel like going to the wiki and digging up a citation for it.

3 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I don't really know, I try to avoid using cheats.  I had the impression that a lot of cheats reset when the server restarts.  Which, in Singleplayer, is every time you load the game and start playing again.  I know that "stuff comes undone on a server restart" is why I can't have my bigfoots in Aberration wander around with a buldbog on their shoulder to keep the Nameless out - every time I start playing again, the bulbdogs are left floating in space because they get dismounted.  :(

I summoned the one Titan for testing purposes, with the full intention that I'd just ignore it until I bounce back to Extinction and tame one "for reals."  Assuming that's even possible solo.  I'm waiting for them to sort out more of the Extinction bugs before I move there.  (And in the meantime I want to unlock the rest of the boss tekgrams and explorer notes and creature dossiers.)

Unlike someone else in this thread, I don't claim to speak for everyone else.  Or anyone else.  I play exclusively Singleplayer though, and there is less than zero chance I would ever try to play online.  I have a job where "real life" can happen, sometimes for a month or more.  I have no interest in playing in a mode where I'd be guaranteed to lose everything anytime I couldn't log in for a couple of days.  (Structure decay, creature starvation, and just people generally going out of their way to be jerks and doing stuff like... oh, I don't know, kiting Corrupted Wyverns into offline players bases on PVE servers just for the lulz.)

If someone enjoys online play, that's nice.  But please don't confuse "it's not a problem FOR ME" with "It can't be a problem AT ALL."

*Edit*  I'm not max level yet, but supposedly if you play with Singleplayer Settings turned on, it greatly increases the amount of Engram Points you get each level.  To the point that you *CAN* build almost everything.  Or at least the stuff that has any use in a solo game - you'd probably have to skip the Heavy Turrets and a few other expensive high level Engrams.  Again, supposedly.  I'm not high level enough to know for sure, and I don't feel like going to the wiki and digging up a citation for it.

The singleplayer settings also make ur dino stats higher, makes u lvl up faster, and tame things faster.  If u h8 cheating lik me then ull want to avoid it.  Now wen the games being crap, lik bugs, lik titan starving, ill gladly hop on my titan, infinitestats it on and off to refill its food.  I mean afaik on SP u still hv to spawn in the skylord artifact on island bc it dnt spawn in the cave.  If a GM would fix things for u it b the same thing so ya lol.  They evn use the same commands.

As for engram problem, thats were blueprints fill in the gaps for u easily.  U can own a full set of chitin, flak, and ghillie armor with almost all the melee and guns pretty easily by raiding purple and up drops.  Ull evn gt full sets of structures.  By far tho its the saddles this saves with, u can save so much engram points with saddle bps.

16 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Single player settings are also used for extremely small tribes/number of people on a server, as per WC's suggestion.  I have exactly three people that play on my server -- me and two friends.  Playing the game on non-single player settings with only three people would make things like bosses quite literally impossible in all circumstances.

Don't assume that one setting doesn't have multiple uses.  Just because it's listed as "single player" doesn't mean it doesn't have uses in multiplayer.

14 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

The singleplayer settings also make ur dino stats higher, makes u lvl up faster, and tame things faster.  If u h8 cheating lik me then ull want to avoid it.  Now wen the games being crap, lik bugs, lik titan starving, ill gladly hop on my titan, infinitestats it on and off to refill its food.  I mean afaik on SP u still hv to spawn in the skylord artifact on island bc it dnt spawn in the cave.  If a GM would fix things for u it b the same thing so ya lol.  They evn use the same commands.

As for engram problem, thats were blueprints fill in the gaps for u easily.  U can own a full set of chitin, flak, and ghillie armor with almost all the melee and guns pretty easily by raiding purple and up drops.  Ull evn gt full sets of structures.  By far tho its the saddles this saves with, u can save so much engram points with saddle bps.

I personally don't mind using Singleplayer settings to increase the rate of taming and XP gain.  It's a useful way to offset the fact that time stops moving in the game when I'm not playing it.  If you have a server with "official" settings, you could (for example) knock out a really big critter, build a wood foundation and thatch privacy fence around it and let it get hungry for a few hours while you watch a movie or do chores or something.  Then log back in, throw a bunch of kibble on it and *boomf*, all tamed.  In singleplayer that doesn't work the same way.  If you leave render range of an in-progress tame, *especially* a passive tame, there seems to be a chance that it'll just reset if you get too far from it.  I don't have enough free time right now to feel it's a good use of it to spend twelve hours staring at a sleeping bronto because I don't want to risk that the game will decide it doesn't want to keep track of the torpor when I'm not looking directly at it.  :(

I do wish they'd fix the Artifact of the Skylord though.  It doesn't seem to spawn in my game at all, no matter how long I hang out in that stupid cave.  (I've sat in there whacking at spiders for a couple of hours at least twice, and it simply does not spawn.)

4 hours ago, EmberStar said:

I do wish they'd fix the Artifact of the Skylord though.  It doesn't seem to spawn in my game at all, no matter how long I hang out in that stupid cave.  (I've sat in there whacking at spiders for a couple of hours at least twice, and it simply does not spawn.)

You have to change the resource respawn timer and respawn player range settings for the artifacts, since the caves go dormant when you leave them the timer for the artifact to respawn does as well.  The normal respawn time for artifacts is pretty long and if you are too close they wont respawn unless you change the respawn range too.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:54 AM, Scrysis said:

Single player settings are also used for extremely small tribes/number of people on a server, as per WC's suggestion.  I have exactly three people that play on my server -- me and two friends.  Playing the game on non-single player settings with only three people would make things like bosses quite literally impossible in all circumstances.

Don't assume that one setting doesn't have multiple uses.  Just because it's listed as "single player" doesn't mean it doesn't have uses in multiplayer.

The bosses r soloable, iv done a few solo.

On 11/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, EmberStar said:

I personally don't mind using Singleplayer settings to increase the rate of taming and XP gain.  It's a useful way to offset the fact that time stops moving in the game when I'm not playing it.  If you have a server with "official" settings, you could (for example) knock out a really big critter, build a wood foundation and thatch privacy fence around it and let it get hungry for a few hours while you watch a movie or do chores or something.  Then log back in, throw a bunch of kibble on it and *boomf*, all tamed.  In singleplayer that doesn't work the same way.  If you leave render range of an in-progress tame, *especially* a passive tame, there seems to be a chance that it'll just reset if you get too far from it.  I don't have enough free time right now to feel it's a good use of it to spend twelve hours staring at a sleeping bronto because I don't want to risk that the game will decide it doesn't want to keep track of the torpor when I'm not looking directly at it.  :(

See its not the taming rate tht bothers me, its the xp and vry much the stat growth boost.  It takes from a part of the game, bc ur supposed 2 hv 2 breed to kill the bosses.  As for xp, iv killed enuf things just hunting for good dinos tht its nvr a problem.  Now ill admit i hv my tame rate at 2.5 but since iv been missing the events iv got it at 5 rn.  But i leav the stats and xp alone bc they feel lik cheating.  Boosting maturity speeds and tame spped dsnt bc 1 it takes way to long, 2 any dino unable to b perfect tamed feels wrong.  It feels lik an ovrsight or bug almost.  Got the perfect food u shud gt tht +74 on tht 150.

1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

The bosses r soloable, iv done a few solo.

See its not the taming rate tht bothers me, its the xp and vry much the stat growth boost.  It takes from a part of the game, bc ur supposed 2 hv 2 breed to kill the bosses.  As for xp, iv killed enuf things just hunting for good dinos tht its nvr a problem.  Now ill admit i hv my tame rate at 2.5 but since iv been missing the events iv got it at 5 rn.  But i leav the stats and xp alone bc they feel lik cheating.  Boosting maturity speeds and tame spped dsnt bc 1 it takes way to long, 2 any dino unable to b perfect tamed feels wrong.  It feels lik an ovrsight or bug almost.  Got the perfect food u shud gt tht +74 on tht 150.

You soloed them on official?

(Also, you don't happen to have ESL?)

Archived