Wildcard Stance on ppl Stealing Element from Viens

bigfishrob

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
1 hour ago, Joebl0w13 said:

It's clearly an intended mechanic. To quote the devs:

“What's really cool, even beyond that, is that this is ARK, and it takes place in that world. That means other players can show up in the middle of it. Maybe they'll help you for a piece of the reward, maybe they'll wait for you to fight off all the dinosaurs and then take the spoils for themselves, or maybe they'll start a fight with you. It brings a new wrinkle to the game with these [events] happening out in the world.”

To be fair that was clearly written with PvP in mind, as per the highlighted bit.

I can see both sides of the argument as to whether it is fair game or not in PvE, but this is the type of problem that is faced when a game is not separated in development.

I can't really see this being defended in pve... It literally means 'Player vs Environment' instead of 'Player vs Player'
In what way is needing to defend your element nodes from other players not pvp? It seems totally fine in a pvp mode to me but when you play a pve game mode it's because you don't want to have to fight with other players.

This is comical at best. Like arguing the ownership of a normal air supply drop on another map saying "I was here first". Good luck with that. 

Tek forcefields do work to cover the actual OSD, however, corrupted pteranodons can (at the moment anyway) glitch through your tek forcefield. Keep in mind though when you eject the items, they may go outside the forcefield and be up for grabs. Also, the forcefield doesn't require a genny to be powered. Not sure if the ability to place the forcefield right next to the drop is intended or if it is a temporary bug, but it does work for the time being at least.  

Perhaps for PvE they can implement something similar to when you KO a dino and only your tribe can tame the creature, only the tribe who activates it can pickup the loot. But this wouldn't fly on PvP.  

1 minute ago, Myosapien said:

This is comical at best. Like arguing the ownership of a normal air supply drop on another map saying "I was here first". Good luck with that. 

This is quite different than that.

With normal supply drops, you just have to be there to grab the things. Here, you have to fight off lots of enemies and then you get to mine the element. This would be more similar to you killing a boss and then someone else swooping in to steal the element off of the boss you just killed.

• Volunteer Moderator
15 minutes ago, GP said:

To be fair that was clearly written with PvP in mind, as per the highlighted bit.

I can see both sides of the argument as to whether it is fair game or not in PvE, but this is the type of problem that is faced when a game is not separated in development.

PvP is the base mindset for the entire game. It's built for PvP

They don't spend much time wrapping PvE around the PvP architecture. It's usually an afterthought. If it bothers enough people.

3 minutes ago, TinyHippo said:

This is quite different than that.

With normal supply drops, you just have to be there to grab the things. Here, you have to fight off lots of enemies and then you get to mine the element. This would be more similar to you killing a boss and then someone else swooping in to steal the element off of the boss you just killed.

I see where you're coming from but I was making a comparison to Orbital Supply Drops which have the same similarity of having to defend against waves. When there are no normal drops on Extinction and Orbital is all you get, their accessibility should be treated as such. 

2 minutes ago, Myosapien said:

I see where you're coming from but I was making a comparison to Orbital Supply Drops which have the same similarity of having to defend against waves. When there are no normal drops on Extinction and Orbital is all you get, their accessibility should be treated as such. 

>There are no normal drops
Something I hadn't really considered. There are technically some drops in the caves but there aren't many and are much harder to reach than ones on other maps so I won't consider them.
But I still think it's the same general idea though: You fight off enemies to get rewards. If someone shows up after you finish and starts taking stuff, that's similar to someone stealing the element off a boss in other maps (which isn't really possible since they're in arenas where thieves couldn't get to, but still) It may not be as bad (depending on the drop) as stealing element from a boss someone else killed, but it's still a problem.
If the other person had contributed to the fight and helped you with it, even after you started, then they'd be entitled to claiming rewards too, but if they just wait for you to finish and then swoop down and take the rewards, it might as well be stealing.

25 minutes ago, TinyHippo said:

>There are no normal drops
Something I hadn't really considered. There are technically some drops in the caves but there aren't many and are much harder to reach than ones on other maps so I won't consider them.
But I still think it's the same general idea though: You fight off enemies to get rewards. If someone shows up after you finish and starts taking stuff, that's similar to someone stealing the element off a boss in other maps (which isn't really possible since they're in arenas where thieves couldn't get to, but still) It may not be as bad (depending on the drop) as stealing element from a boss someone else killed, but it's still a problem.
If the other person had contributed to the fight and helped you with it, even after you started, then they'd be entitled to claiming rewards too, but if they just wait for you to finish and then swoop down and take the rewards, it might as well be stealing.

After reading this I have to ask, how many have, whether intentional or not, "acquired" cementing paste from the dams after someone else has kited/fought off the beavers? Or have been that person to kill or kite them all only to see someone else come by and take the cp? I've yet to find a post about that. 

3 minutes ago, Myosapien said:

After reading this I have to ask, how many have, whether intentional or not, "acquired" cementing paste from the dams after someone else has kited/fought off the beavers? Or have been that person to kill or kite them all only to see someone else come by and take the cp? I've yet to find a post about that. 

No idea. Personally, I just fly down and grab the stuff, drop the wood, and fly away while leaving the beavers there so they can make more dams later. It only takes a few seconds to empty the dam, I don't think kiting beavers away is necessary most of the time.

Regardless, it would still be extremely rude to whoever had cleared the beavers.

The way I see it, if you have to fight to get something, and you fight, you deserve to get that something. If others wanted the cp, they should've helped you remove the beavers.

38 minutes ago, TinyHippo said:

No idea. Personally, I just fly down and grab the stuff, drop the wood, and fly away while leaving the beavers there so they can make more dams later. It only takes a few seconds to empty the dam, I don't think kiting beavers away is necessary most of the time.

Regardless, it would still be extremely rude to whoever had cleared the beavers.

The way I see it, if you have to fight to get something, and you fight, you deserve to get that something. If others wanted the cp, they should've helped you remove the beavers.

This might sound like overkill but 1 strong lightning wyvern, access dam, wipe the wave of beavers, take cp, bite the dams and leave. Don't underestimate the power of 10 mate boosted beavers at your ankles while you're inventory is pulled up. Sneaky little bastards can fight. New beavers will spawn along with dams. 

I would have in the past kited and made these looters respect the environment enough to leave us alone. But now that wildcard made that banable our hands our just about tied. I think a good solution would be percent of kills locked it to your tribe. Say u kill 50% or more by ur tribe then the veins become minable only to you or the drop becomes a storage that only your tribe can then open.  As for tek forcefield, will it prevent ppl from entering on pve and two what would stop the thieves from swooping in and dropping a forcfield as u finsh to take it and lock you out as u clean up the borders

5 minutes ago, bigfishrob said:

I would have in the past kited and made these looters respect the environment enough to leave us alone. But now that wildcard made that banable our hands our just about tied. I think a good solution would be percent of kills locked it to your tribe. Say u kill 50% or more by ur tribe then the veins become minable only to you or the drop becomes a storage that only your tribe can then open.  As for tek forcefield, will it prevent ppl from entering on pve and two what would stop the thieves from swooping in and dropping a forcfield as u finsh to take it and lock you out as u clean up the borders

Can’t walk through a forcefield on PVE. Also really hard to prove kiting if done correctly. Not that I condone the action. But man those pesky corrupted dinos follow you a long ways sometimes without you knowing. And rare flowers are delicious...

10 minutes ago, flamron said:

Can’t walk through a forcefield on PVE. Also really hard to prove kiting if done correctly. Not that I condone the action. But man those pesky corrupted dinos follow you a long ways sometimes without you knowing. And rare flowers are delicious...

Kinda sounds like you do condone it.....

Just remember, if they are willing to steal your element, they will be willing to kite stuff to you too

Any possible solutions to this will affect PvP battles for it, WC love their PvP too much to change something for the sake of PvE if it will affect negatively affect PvP. If WC cared about people not stealing loot, they would've made it so only the tribes that complete OSD can access the drop's inventory rather than ejecting it to the ground for anyone to steal.

3 minutes ago, Austin304 said:

Kinda sounds like you do condone it.....

Just remember, if they are willing to steal your element, they will be willing to kite stuff to you too

Any possible solutions to this will affect PvP battles for it, WC love their PvP too much to change something for the sake of PvE if it will affect negatively affect PvP. If WC cared about people not stealing loot, they would've made it so only the tribes that complete OSD can access the drop's inventory rather than ejecting it to the ground for anyone to steal.

Happy to defend any kiting. We have two gigas so far and will have a few more through this week. Not much can stop them unless a pack of corrupted gigas or a couple regular gigas make it down to the forest. 

We don’t tolerate thieves. And tickets are a waste of time. So ya. I’m happy to run away from corrupted dinos towards a base of thieves. 

12 hours ago, GP said:

Spiked walls all around the veins? Wild dinos? Ah man you are clearly showing you have no experience or understanding of veins/OSD on PvE yet feel you have the knowledge to comment on it. Spiked walls will not stop people on flyers.

So far both your creative ideas have fallen flat on their faces.

The issue here is that it should not be allowed / not possible on PvE. You are ignoring the point of PvE. Yes people should be allowed to steal the rewards of PvP because that's what PvP is all about. But instead of understanding what PvE is you just throw supposed creative ideas out that don't actually solve the problem.

Now this is a creative idea that the Devs should consider looking into. The only issue here is it is unlikely that you could make the change on PvE without it changing on PvP.

So you are telling me that generation 1990+ lacks the ability to think outside the box/creativity/outsmart others. Can't say i'm surprised.
It's not MY job to give YOU sollutions to your problems. That's your cup of tea. Btw. finding solutions to such challenges is called skill.
I had mine and i solved them.

But some more Ideas:
1. If you don't like it, don't do the veins. there...: no more "stealing" from you.
2. Switch Roles: let others defend them. Get YOUR Share after they finish.

Btw, you are still ignoring the fact, that no one is stealing from you. or is your name imprinted on one of those veins? if they are faster it is theirs. You experienced that first hand.

And one more solution you may like:
Simply give everyone a 5 Seconds Warning who enters the Node (in progress or just finished). And if they don't turn around and leave, they get flagged for PvP.
Then you can defend "your" supposed property (if you have the skills that is).
BAM, problem solved.

Edit: Have you even thought of a diplomatic solution?

Invite your "thieves" to participate during the encounter and give them a fair share.
give a good example to other tribes/players on your servers. make up your own CoC.
And if others violate them, give them sanctions. don't talk to them, don't help them, do not trade with them (aka trade embargo).
Use the PvE limitations to give them a hard time on the server... etc. etc. etc.

14 hours ago, GP said:

You are clearly trolling in here because you are completely ignoring what PvE means!

Have you tried defending a vein from corrupted creatures on PvE and then defending against players you can't fight with your creative mind? No didn't think so.

?

They addressed this in the live stream. They said that once the vein was available it was available for all players on PvE and anyone could steal it. Same with orbital supply drops. Legendary supply drops they said on PvE someone could come in and take your loot after the 7th wave so you had to take that into account when you decided how long to go. Maybe they have changed it since then, but I have not seen an update. My server is PvE and it is not yours until you secure it. If you die with it on your body anyone can loot it.

I am also reminded of the volcano before the tek cave. People would be farming it and think they had the right to all the metal there because they showed up first. Then there were the times someone called out a 145 Quetz and someone said in global chat it was theirs. When I looked at it through my spyglass it still said wild. Possession is everything. It is not your node until you mine it on PvE.

• Joebl0w13 changed the title to Wildcard Stance on ppl Stealing Element from Viens

Archived