Any reason to tame high levels dinos?

girlygirlgamer322

I thought the same thing when I first joined but my friend explained it to me. Each dino can only gain a certain amount of levels after tame (I don't know what it is now, back then it was like 55 levels) so you want to tame higher lvl dinos because while for instance, a lvl 5 spino can have like 1200 HP a lvl 150 spino could have like 8k HP, so it would start out with far better stats than the tamed one would have, and probably even ever end up with.

58 minutes ago, girlygirlgamer322 said:

Hi folks

It would seem to me that taming a low level dino and leveling it and putting stats into is better than taming a high level?

If you have enough people are online enough and or don't care to much about losing tames than you are right, if you have a decent base location where something that can eat stone or metal can't get to then you are alright doing that, without kibble taming becomes an hourly thing so i don't fault you for wanting lower levels, i get some myself like a wood tame that can harvest wood better than my chopping it with my hand, things like that, that are "throw" away type tames are fine to me.  I usually try to get a higher level on everything i'd like to have, which ends up being not much with all the competition. 

I always prefer higher level dinos because they have 

1: Higher health and thus higher survivability. 

2: Generally more health / stamina for your truckin' tames. 

3: More weight and damage for your gathering tames. 

4: You can diversify your points more effectivly when a creature already has stats that you prefer. I.E you don't have to waste 9 levels on a equus to bring its health to 1000 total if you tame a higher level whos health is already 1k. You can use those 9 levels on other things like speed. 

You should always aim for a higher base level if possible. Like everyone else here said, it just helps stats out big time in the later levels. Also if you tame high level mate boosted pairs and mate them, you have a solid chance of raising already higher than parents base level babies(sometimes you're not so lucky.)

If you plan on breeding these dinos your gonna want higher levels , I breed Rex's mainly and I though it would go off the current level so I bred my 350 male rex with a level 98 hoping it would be in the middle , buuut I caught the female at 55 and the baby took after her completely ignoring the dads 350 levels 

Breeding is based off the base levels when the dino is first tamed 

6 hours ago, Ninjasharrk said:

If you plan on breeding these dinos your gonna want higher levels , I breed Rex's mainly and I though it would go off the current level so I bred my 350 male rex with a level 98 hoping it would be in the middle , buuut I caught the female at 55 and the baby took after her completely ignoring the dads 350 levels 

Breeding is based off the base levels when the dino is first tamed 

Except the initial question had nothing to do with breeding.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:48 AM, girlygirlgamer322 said:

It would seem to me that taming a low level dino and leveling it and putting stats into is better than taming a high level?

It doesnt work that way. Wild level (the level dino stands up when tamed, including bonus levels from Taming Efficiency) and domesticated levels (the ones tamed dino earns with exp) are separate. A tamed level 150 and tamed level 5 will have same requirements for next (domesticated) levels despite their wild level number difference and also there is a limited amount of domesticated levels that can be applied to any particular dino. Also domesticated level points that you put into stats act as a multiplier for wild stats, so with limited amount of levels it is always better to have higher base stats (tame higher level dino) for way higher payoff unless taming time is of concern for you.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:48 AM, girlygirlgamer322 said:

Hi folks

You must be new to ark.

Early tames, levels are not relevant, its about quicker/easier access to resources. 

Once you progress further and start getting kibble, it is definately better to tame the higher leves as stat gained per domestic level, scale off the post-tame stat. (A rex with 9k base hp gains more per level spent than a rex with 4k base hp.)

Archived