Quetzal taming pursuit

ScreamingViolet

I’m finally up to the quetzal taming pursuit, ive been looking forward to this for ages! I’ve killed and revived one before, but he got killed at some point without me realising it. So I’ve been planning on replacing him via this pursuit as reviving him is over 30 Amber. Amber I’d rather use for other things.

with every one of these taming pursuits the search location has come up on the map, something that’s near essential for finding a quetz... but that isn’t happening, there’s no search circle on the map. There’s also no arrow on the hud telling me which direction to go.

Am I missing something? Is there meant to be a guide on the map to help you find a quetzal? Or is this going to be one of the hardest pursuits EVER?

i Really don’t want to spend days, weeks, months even, searching the skies for a quetz, I’ll probably spend the last of my amber to revive my old one if I have to, but I don’t want to ??

8 hours ago, qdzs1 said:

Just repeatedly do the swamp cave, it's by far the easiest cave and it will give you 10 amber per artifact if you're lucky. Once you revive your tamed quetz just highlight it and the pursuit will end and the quetz will gain 25k xp.

I’ve got the amber I need to revive it, I’m just being a Scrooge and don’t want to spend it lol.

After posting this I dumped all of my quetzal taming supplies into the nearest storage and took off across the island to level up my just raised argh on Carno island. As I got near the green obelisk I noticed the distance and direction arrow that you see when doing these types of pursuits. Whilst there was no circle on my map it guided me to this quetzal. I’m guessing it just comes up when you get close to a quetzal, but as they are so rare it would be incredibly helpful if you did get the circle on the map to give you a good idea as to where to look. When you consider how easy it is to find dodos, pteranodons and such, it makes more sense to get the guiding circle for quetzals rather than for the common species.

im headed back for my stronger army and the rest of my quetz taming supplies. I’m going to try and tame this one with the grappling hook strategy... fingers crossed I can pull it off.

10 hours ago, CaptainSaltyYT said:

On solo they always spawn on Craggs island (Just east of red obelisk) so search around their in future.

Glhf,

-Cap

I keep seeing them over near the green obelisk, but to be fair I tend to spend a lot of time in that area whilst rarely going anywhere even close to the red one. It’s a bloody huge map!

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven’t had this pursuit but have done other “kill this” quests. I have also solo tamed many quetzals. I have never liked their circles areas to find a Dino. It’s awful and I’m better off doing it myself. They are usually there if you look hard enough buts it’s a moving target and that single Dino can be in the strangest places. With quetzals it’s harder due to them flying.  Another hitch is that their spawns have changed recently. They used to spawn very very high and seemingly very few of them. Now they spawn extremely low. I mean dang near on the ground and fly up once you find them. So you now have to look high and low to find that darn bird as it could be as high as the redwood treetop line and waiting to spawn on the ground. If the game says there’s a quetz there then there’s one there. It’s just hard to find. 

I wish all of you luck on your solo quetz taming. I have done many with an argy, parachute, and grapple. Here’s a few things I’ve learned. Get used to jumping off the argy, engaging the parachute, and pulling out the xbow in rapid succession. Do it as low heights before you perfect it. Make sure your settings have the grid at the bottom right and not the swipe from the right screen to change tools. The swipe will never work. Period. Can’t do it fast enough. When you are good at it and find your quetz perform this action above and in front of the quetz. By the time you get all that set the quetz will now be in front of you. If you didn’t do it above and in front it could be out of range to whistle your argy to attack. 

I’d also bring an argy that is moderately fast and low damage. To slow and you will lose the quetz. To fast and it may kill the quetz. Once I whistle my argy to attack the quetz I don’t tell it to stop. For me that’s a good way to lose the quetz. Been there done that. Make sure your longneck is in good repair and you have plenty of darts. Also always double and triple check that you have your taming supplies. There’s nothing like downing a quetz only to find that you have no narcs or taming food. I have done that with a few smaller tames and it’s super frustrating. 

Of course always bring lots of spikes. Once you hit that quetz it’ll head towards the redwoods and the last thing you need is a Rex, carni, or friggin terror bird killing your quetz. Another thing is avoid shooting to much at your quetz over the swamp. I hate the swamp and things will go bad if it lands in the swamp. I’ve read that the quetz will drown if it goes down over a body of water. I think this is in the non mobile version of the game but I still take precautions against it. I’ve knocked out land dinos in water without issue though. Also make sure to bring some gear to kill wild dinos. Once you have your quetz walked off with some room to land your argy you’ll want to kill off wild carnivores nearby. I also like to find a nearby rock that is a little higher up to give me a better view of incoming threats. 

I hope this helps somebody. As always I’ve written a book and probably stated some pretty obvious things but you never know when there’s somebody that will stumble across this and learn something. I’ve always found solo quetz taming with an argy to be one of the most adrenaline inducing things in the game. Lastly go find yourself a second quetz of the opposite gender to mate them. You won’t be sorry with the results. 

I have heard of dinos being stuck in the ground. Could certainly be what’s happening here. One other little thing that I’ve used during these pursuits is to keep opening the map. It will show you the circle and help to zero in on a location easier. There will also be more quetz on the map. If I were you I’d give up on that one and try to find another. You will need to move a ways away from that one to the get game to focus on the next but maybe you’ll have better luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes!

Besides the one that must be in the ground I've found another Quetzal, level 23 (SP) and after a thrilling ride Argy method) I've tamed it! What was that an exciting and nerve wrecking experience!

I had 22 Toxicant arrows and thought that would be a enough (I mainly miscalculated because of the high level)....but of course I also missed quite a lot. Luckily I had another 50 Tranq arrows, and with only a few arrows and 116 health left on the Quetz it finally came down. Luckily only some raptors and sabres to take care of in the taming area. Taming in 1 second with soothing balm and Rex Kibble (+9 levels).

One thing I've learned: in order to do the attack target whistle to make the Argy follow the Quetz, you'll need a rifle to target. I didn't had one and could not get my Argy to follow the Quetz.

@ScreamingViolet how is your pursuit going?

Archived