I have my ARK game installed on my second drive (a HHD), and when the update of today goes online I try to download it, it was supposed to be about 2.5 GB or so, or at least that's what steam was telling me. The update hasn't even been downloaded completely yet when there is already another update of like 3 GB or so... I was thinking: "Okay?... that's a little weird, but fine, let's keep downloading the other one cause I want to play. The update was about to finish when I get an error or advice from steam telling me that I can't install the update cause my disk is full...? What?
I still had like 150 GB free on my drive. I go check my drives to see what's going on and I notice that there is a file of 20 GB from ARK on my main drive (an SSD) on which I don't even have the game installed on, of course causing this to fill and thus steam giving me the message of disk full.
Are you guys so good at glitching things that you even managed to glitch the download process of the game? Or did your bugs already spread to Steam? Will I finish the update and run ARK to launch Max Payne or something?

Also, on the patch notes, what do you mean "Attempt to fix"? What do you want us to do? Clap? Put a star on your forehead and say good job?
You could've at least said: "We are currently working on fixing this".
Instead of: "Guys, we tried to fix the problem, but honestly, it's too hard for us, we don't know how our game works so we gave up, but keep playing the game as it is :)".
I can't even do that, I can't even play the game as it is because the game won't download the update correctly.

30 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

Well, nowadays SSD are not that expensive anymore, you can get like 250 Go Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 for about 50$.

I have one just to store Ark. I've put a cute chibi dino sticker on it. 

I didn't expect someone to say such a cute thing. Thanks for your reply, you saved me from losing my sanity here, but I'm afraid that is not the problem.
I deleted the whole ARK update and downloaded it all again, but before it, I made sure to free a little bit of space. (Yes, from both drives... I don't even.) I still have plenty of space left, but the game still won't work.
Now it says the update got cancelled and I didn't cancel anything, I waited till the end of the update and when it was done, it just skipped it and started downloading the update of another game, it even says 4.0 GB / 4.0 GB...

8 hours ago, GunsMroses said:

I still had like 150 GB free on my drive. I go check my drives to see what's going on and I notice that there is a file of 20 GB from ARK on my main drive (an SSD) on which I don't even have the game installed on, of course causing this to fill and thus steam giving me the message of disk full.

Steam's download and temporary files folders have nothing to do with the game. So, if misconfigured, it is quite possible for Steam to use up your space on an SSD when game is installed on HDD and vice versa. As for why it takes so much space: ARK performs updates by replacing files instead of patching them, i think. If it doesnt then its even worse - even a relatively small patch that affects big files will temporarily eat huge amounts of space.

And steam takes a very costly but safe approach - it downloads update (3gb), unpacks it to someplace (much more than 3gb), back ups old files (basically doubles the unpacked size), overwrites old files with new and then checks integrity, if everything checks out Steam will clear up space used for this ordeal.

Archived