Cave runners

BlueIris2

Baryonx for the most of the caves works great, especially the swamp cave, becareful with sarco's in some caves as they might knock you off your bary and there is a glitch where the bary changes to passive flee after that and you will have a hard time finding it if you are not in a cave. Thyla for the for the devourer I believe, the cave on carno island. I use a raptor for the lava cave. All these I do solo also. 

Bary works well on the easy underwater cave also. I have done the hard underwater cave, and I haven't done the hard snow cave. 

Terrorbirds can work well in some caves. I prefer them in the lava cave, since you can't miss the jumps while gliding. I killed 3 wolves in there before I switched to terrorbirds. All burned in the lava. 

Other than that, thyla, wolf or bary.

A great help is a flock of dimorphs too, they fit in any cave and can save you if you are dismounted/stunned. You can send them in to kill centipedes and bats before they even get close to you too.

Ravagers from aberration are good too, and you can use shortcuts with ziplines.

Easy way to solo most caves would be the Bary hands down, nothing imo is better for it then bred bary's and they will fit into most caves.

Generally i prefer to use Sabers for the once i can't fit a bary in (high damage sword for the bats, and longneck to pull them in), but direwolfs would work as well (or thyla for that matter in certain caves).

Bred Basilo all the way for the water caves, though you could potentially use a bary or frog for the easy one if you just want the artifact.

The one exception to the rule is the hard snow cave, for this would recommend using a bred Theri, but you can use bears or rexes and various other high dps creatures. The biggest down side of this cave is the need to raise the dino's inside the cave (not considering cryo storage since the OP seem to want to progress the story). Theri is my favorite for this once, most things ignore you when riding it making the majority of this cave very easy if you pick good spots to fight the things that do agro. For loots runs you need to murder everything around the loots, but if you pay attention to what you agro and where its very possible on just a single theri as well. Add to that the benefit or cake healing, and you got yourself a snow cave murdering machine.

Direbear works just great for caves near volcano and  one in south jungles where megalo spawn. Not sure about others though.

Easy to tame (just build a tame raft and keep a rifle near you, lure them inside with flyers) and reques only honey which is pretty easy to get (at least easier then kibble)

High damage, speed and HP... average. 

4 hours ago, lordbufu said:

Easy way to solo most caves would be the Bary hands down, nothing imo is better for it then bred bary's and they will fit into most caves.

Generally i prefer to use Sabers for the once i can't fit a bary in (high damage sword for the bats, and longneck to pull them in), but direwolfs would work as well (or thyla for that matter in certain caves).

Bred Basilo all the way for the water caves, though you could potentially use a bary or frog for the easy one if you just want the artifact.

The one exception to the rule is the hard snow cave, for this would recommend using a bred Theri, but you can use bears or rexes and various other high dps creatures. The biggest down side of this cave is the need to raise the dino's inside the cave (not considering cryo storage since the OP seem to want to progress the story). Theri is my favorite for this once, most things ignore you when riding it making the majority of this cave very easy if you pick good spots to fight the things that do agro. For loots runs you need to murder everything around the loots, but if you pay attention to what you agro and where its very possible on just a single theri as well. Add to that the benefit or cake healing, and you got yourself a snow cave murdering machine.

Thank you so much for your reply. I’m only a level fifty-something lol so I’ll get leveled up and tame a few theris to start breeding. I love theris as well. Do you know any good taming pen designs for dire wolves, sabers, and barys? I managed to bola a bary once but he broke out of it and killed me fast ?. They’re tough little suckers. I’m almost a high enough level to make an argents saddle so I can finally saddle my argent. That one was difficult to tame as well XD she nearly killed me twice before I got her down. I almost knocked out my pteranodon in the process of taming her. She would Aggro the pteranodon and then me and she kept switching. I love love love this game so much though! The only reason I don’t play online is because I hate how you have to babysit your tames or they can die or despawn. Also I have a life and school is important lol. I was like okaaay back to single player XD I was so close to being able to do boss fights too!! I had 602 melee rexes and everything. I had never gone on any cave runs before though. My tribemates loved going on cave runs.

10 hours ago, Lethe said:

cant you theortically fit any dino in caves with new cryoballs?

Possibly, but I wouldn't try it with anything too big, not that it'll get stuck as you can easily put it back in the cryopod but can see the camera being a nightmare on a rex in a tight area

Might give it a go later with a megatherium in the swamp cave, I did try raising one in there before and it got through the early parts of the cave before getting to a choke point where it's ass was too fat to get through

A kapro could be helpful, but it also depends on the cave itself. I woudnt recommend it for the Lava cave. But you can also try a Daeodon. It can negate damage with the healing buff and you can gather enough meat in the cave so it doesnt get hungry. Maybe get a Dimo and you have a perfect Cave exploring team.

10 hours ago, Lethe said:

cant you theortically fit any dino in caves with new cryoballs?

I believe they do not allow people to use cryoballs inside caves sooner or later. And dino had a temporaly debuff when they taked out of storage so it not the best options for cave run (except snow cave i thing). But will see, need some testing though.

28 minutes ago, Black5Raven said:

I believe they do not allow people to use cryoballs inside caves sooner or later. And dino had a temporaly debuff when they taked out of storage so it not the best options for cave run (except snow cave i thing). But will see, need some testing though.

Just tested it in SP with a megatherium & swamp cave, works well although there's a few points where it won't fit through so have to pick it back up and release the other side, I'm not 100% sure how the debuff works but isn't it just to stop people spam releasing loads of dinos at once in PvP, if you release any more while the debuff is active they receive 10x damage? I noticed no side affects while the timer was active but when I did hit a point where I got stuck I waited for the timer to run down which wasn't a big problem, will still probably use a baryonyx on a server but the megatherium just chewed through everything

If you do try and release something in an area it won't fit it does tell you and you can't release it so no risk of losing anything as well

Archived