Depressed Gachas and how to make them happy discussion

Migol

Went a little nuts taming Gachas in the first few days, at one point had around 10-15.      One corrupt wyvern (getting kited in) later and I'm down to 5 and frantically building a large stone base with 10+ Plant X Turrets and an autogun.     So that's done, and now I've got a very large building and up to 8ish Gachas again.    

But I noticed that while they're happy when I take them out to harvest (*when I can get the saddle to work) and shooting out crystals constantly, in the base they're very unhappy.  The mechanic seems to be that when they're unhappy they won't look at you directly and their crystal shard production drops to near nothing.     So, what causes this and how to fix it?

1) I've read that it's simple proximity to other Gachas.    However they're still "Sad" when I bring them many, many tiles away (at least 30).    Does it take time to reset?     Do I need to take them outside of the base, IE an enclosed space also makes them unhappy?     Do I need to reset them with a cryo?

2) Do they need more than food from troughs?     I'm putting stone in their inventory, and have some owl poop too, but since they're all sad it doesn't seem to do anything.    Right now the only happy Gacha is the one who didn't eat his saddle that I use to harvest nearby trees with.

3) Does putting them on wander help?

4) How many tiles in height migh work?    Our base is 15 walls high, wondering if gachas on ramps could be good to make them poop their crystals down on us from on high.

Thanks, can confirm the video is pretty correct.     For those at work or who want a tldr version:

1) You need a mated pair together, and separated at least 12 tiles from all other Gachas.

2) That pair can be fed massive amounts of stone in order to produce crystals

3) While producing crystals, give them owl poop to get a "disco light" effect (very bright colors, not the faded purpleish).     This means they have better production.

4) Each Gacha has 3 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare material to choose from in their production wheel tab.     Rare mats include metal, Black pearls, Red Sap, Sulfur, Organic Polymer, tree sap and so on.     The uncommon ones are also useful things like crystal, salt, oil, silk and whatnot.    Common are basics like stone/thatch/fungal wood.     

What this means is if you can get one gacha for all 30 or so options, you have almost every crafting and fuel need covered simply by rocks!   Just choose the production and feed that gacha specifically, they'll drop a crystal every 20ish seconds.    Getting ~25-30 metal each time, or 80+ thatch, or 20-30 red sap with their crafting skill levelled a bit.    

Things I have yet to test: How many tiles/walls up they need to be separated.   How ramshackle+items count toward feeding.   

18 hours ago, Migol said:

Thanks, can confirm the video is pretty correct.     For those at work or who want a tldr version:

1) You need a mated pair together, and separated at least 12 tiles from all other Gachas.

2) That pair can be fed massive amounts of stone in order to produce crystals

3) While producing crystals, give them owl poop to get a "disco light" effect (very bright colors, not the faded purpleish).     This means they have better production.

4) Each Gacha has 3 common, 2 uncommon, and 1 rare material to choose from in their production wheel tab.     Rare mats include metal, Black pearls, Red Sap, Sulfur, Organic Polymer, tree sap and so on.     The uncommon ones are also useful things like crystal, salt, oil, silk and whatnot.    Common are basics like stone/thatch/fungal wood.     

What this means is if you can get one gacha for all 30 or so options, you have almost every crafting and fuel need covered simply by rocks!   Just choose the production and feed that gacha specifically, they'll drop a crystal every 20ish seconds.    Getting ~25-30 metal each time, or 80+ thatch, or 20-30 red sap with their crafting skill levelled a bit.    

Things I have yet to test: How many tiles/walls up they need to be separated.   How ramshackle+items count toward feeding.   

Putting it simply, it matters not. I fed an ascendant pike to it by mistake (not sad), and its crystal growth process is about the same as feeding it anything else other than stone.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if crafting skill is high enough I don't think a mated pair is necessary.  As long as they aren't sad, and they produce max value for a crystal, any additional mate buff can't increase the amount per crystal.

but for logistics, it makes sense to have as many in one spot as possible.  You can have 8 in the same area as having only 4.  so why not have 8.

• 6 months later...
On 10/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, GrumpyBear said:

if crafting skill is high enough I don't think a mated pair is necessary.  As long as they aren't sad, and they produce max value for a crystal, any additional mate buff can't increase the amount per crystal.

but for logistics, it makes sense to have as many in one spot as possible.  You can have 8 in the same area as having only 4.  so why not have 8.

Because it would take more like 20 or 30 in one area to get the production of 4 happy gachas.

Archived