Metal farming

tacolemons

• 3 weeks later...

To farm metal, I use a quetz with a platform saddle that is 3 x 3 with fence bordering back half.  I load 3 ankies on it and go to the volcano or blue obelisk.  I use my highest damage anky to harvest metal.  It was bred for this and gets 100+ metal from each metal rock.  I get rid of all stone.  Go back to quetz and unload into other ankes.  They are bred for weight and can hold over 3000 raw metal.  I think they get 75% raw metal weight reduction.  When the first 2 ankies are full, the next metal load goes into the quetz.  It is not  a high weight quetz and can only hold 1800 metal.  Then I collect 1 more time and load the anky onto the platform saddle, dismount and transfer metal from quetz onto the last anky.  So I have 3 ankies with over 9k raw metal on the quetz platform saddle.  Because of the weight reduction, the quetz is still below the red over encumbered level.  I have my indi forge set up to land my quetz and make direct transfers in my base and next to my smithy and fabricator.  Sometimes the game will glitch an anky off the platform saddle in midair.  This happens about once every 10 trips or so.  To help with that, all the ankies have bright colored saddles and coloring.

A new way to get black pearls is the otter.  May check into that.

What he said ^^^^.  Get two good ankys and breed them. That will get you a better final product. I aim for 1k damage and the rest weight. If anybody out there doesn’t have a platform then just keep picking up the anky with the quetz, drop of metal, harvest, and pick up again with quetz. You can overencumber the anky this way and still get the metal weight reduction. Do this until your quetz can’t carry anymore. You will get a ton more metal this way. 

Sounds like you are on a multiplayer map. If so then just do as above. If you play single player then just put the forge on the edge of the volcano. You will get more metal this way than hauling. And it will be much faster. 

Edit-oops forgot pearls. I have a topic somewhere titled otter love. Lots of otter info there. Again breed up two high level otters. It’s hard finding one so two may be challenging.  After a lot of grinding I tamed two just under 200. Breed for damage. Invest all points into damage. Two reasons for this. When fish farming you will get the attention of the fish for the most part and the otter can avoid much damage. It can also be equipped with a helmet. I had an otter take a smack from a level 200 bigoot and keep on trucking. Second is that otters provide a lot of insulation.  This directly increases with each damage level increase. 

Find a pool with a lot of saber tooth salmon. Set otter on attack target. Whack the fish and retreat to shallows. If the fish has a lot of health assist the otter but allow it to kill the fish. Each fish harvested had a chance to get silica and black pearls. I have gotten quite a few black pearls doing this. Much easier than risking your butt in the ocean. 

Archived