Starting from scratch on Extinction?

rcadden

How hard would it suck to start from scratch on Extinction, seriously? I play PVE and have been working my way up on a Ragnarok server with a buddy to be able to fight bosses. We've collected most of the artifacts, still have a few trophies to get, etc. From my understanding, you pretty much *need* Tek unlocked to play on Extinction, is that right? 

Cause legitimately unlocking Tek engrams would require us to play every boss on every map (Island, Aberration, etc), which requires quite a bit of work to get the trophies needed and such. 

Am I missing something? Could a new player pick up Ark TODAY and enjoy Extinction?

56 minutes ago, rcadden said:

How hard would it suck to start from scratch on Extinction, seriously? I play PVE and have been working my way up on a Ragnarok server with a buddy to be able to fight bosses. We've collected most of the artifacts, still have a few trophies to get, etc. From my understanding, you pretty much *need* Tek unlocked to play on Extinction, is that right? 

Cause legitimately unlocking Tek engrams would require us to play every boss on every map (Island, Aberration, etc), which requires quite a bit of work to get the trophies needed and such. 

Am I missing something? Could a new player pick up Ark TODAY and enjoy Extinction?

Well... you definitely need at the very least a replicator. The engram can be unlocked by finding a replicator bp at a supply drop. However, its bugged and doesnt work at the moment, but thats the idea.

As for the other tek items, theyre really useful but not that essential (mek and megamek will be very much needed for the final boss, i hear)

If you start fresh in the city towards the center of it, it wont be any harder then starting on the island, although it is a constant 95 degrees so your going to drink a lot with a low to no fortitude character. Biggest dangers are dilos , compys, and raptors, and defense units to your tames. I wouldn't say tek is a must, but Its the easiest maps to get element on so tek is more fun.

Should've started since launch but I did it and am now about level 71. #feels good man, i got one toon on all maps started from scratch, no i do not have a process, i usually however just build my base 1st and maybe whatever is around, i then fight things by hand no dinos, did this in pvp beta, found it amazingly exciting and fun one running away from a huge dino (bronto) him smashing my stone and spikes while i arrow him in the face till he dies and stand on him victoriously.  Good times.

I did 1 extra this go around and got a shield all flack with a sword and started to battle the Managarmr's, Man vs "dragon" since wyverns fly too much and don't play fair. ;)

That 1st victory was pretty sweet, its pretty cool to see other people fly off or watch from a distance if i will win or not, so far with the flack setup i haven't lost but other times attempting to run away from one they get'cha or you hurt your self so much you die.

I lucked out and the 3X did help me along, since i was able to craft a lot that helped boost me, if they do it again i would say get on it.

Reasons why i do not transfer, I do not trust it NOT to loose my toon.

Oh i also started in the hardest area SNOW, i am solo this is online, I tamed the Managarmr and 2 owls, so far so good, got a small metal base already.

Oh about that 1st victory lol sry but wanted to say it was against two of the Managarmr's that was amazing, i did use someone's medium fall in trap thou as a choke point but oh man, i wish i recorded that.

Have to add i have yet to fight bosses i didn't want to burn the content i have so much left still, taking time away from the game also helps, if i had to re-fight everything again i'd say no that seems like a lot of work.

8 hours ago, rcadden said:

Take with a grain of salt since my friends and I are on an unofficial server.

It isn't that bad to start from scratch.  You don't *need* tek on extinction, but it's pretty optimized for it.  That being said. . . . engrams are a bit bugged right now on Extinction.  Aberration and Scorched Earth should be learnable, and they're not.  And you're supposed to be able to unlock tek engrams off of titan kills (not king titan, just any titan), but that's not working either.  

Expect the next set of patches to fix these issues.

I new SOLO player would have a hard time with Extinction.  I'd encourage them to play on Ragnarok or the Island first.  If the new person is running around with a more experienced player, than that should be okay.  Right now, Crater forest is pretty barren of anything threatening , and the city is pretty safe.  You can take your time in either of these two places.

You do not need tek at all to start out on extinction. You need it for the fun stuff though :)

I'd say if you already played other maps it doesn't matter which biome you choose to start a new character. My tribe started with new chars too, one of my tribemates brought his char over though, when we discovered the engrams from other dlcs can not be learned on extinction (yet?), and we needed SE saddles.

You don't need fur or ghillie armor for any biome, temperatures are mild across the whole map, with a few exceptions. 

Snow is tricky, I got overrun by wolves and sabers every time. Didn't have the patience to continue there, but it's possible. I came back later with a flyer. 

Desert is easy, but lacks some resouces (oil, silica pearls for example).

city is super easy and has most resources available. It also has pteras. If you build at the borders or close to the center you will have to deal with corrupted dinos.

In sunken forest I had a hard time finding enough animals to gather hide for my bed, or meat for taming. It's almost too peaceful. thanks to gachas all mats are available too.

You can always team up instead of raising your own boss army to unlock engrams on all the maps. You don't need to repeatedly kill bosses for element on aberration or extinction, you can farm element on the maps to craft the items.

The tek engrams on extinction are bugged atm, but several people, who brought their chars over, already have tek replicators and other tek stuff. 3x sure helped to farm the mats, but it's not that hard. If the engrams get fixed, extinction is probably a good idea to play on in your case.

You don't have to abandon your old map for it. Since you are late to the new map, maybe wait a few weeks more, some people will start to lose interest and open up base spots. Play both maps parallel, at some point transfers will open.

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 8:51 PM, Scrysis said:

Take with a grain of salt since my friends and I are on an unofficial server.

It isn't that bad to start from scratch.  You don't *need* tek on extinction, but it's pretty optimized for it.  That being said. . . . engrams are a bit bugged right now on Extinction.  Aberration and Scorched Earth should be learnable, and they're not.  And you're supposed to be able to unlock tek engrams off of titan kills (not king titan, just any titan), but that's not working either.  

Expect the next set of patches to fix these issues.

I new SOLO player would have a hard time with Extinction.  I'd encourage them to play on Ragnarok or the Island first.  If the new person is running around with a more experienced player, than that should be okay.  Right now, Crater forest is pretty barren of anything threatening , and the city is pretty safe.  You can take your time in either of these two places.

Forget crafting any enforcer higher than Journeyman level (this can be done in city terminals)  I did do three blue OSD defenses and got Tek Replicatior blueprints from two of them. Great! Now I can craft enforcers (once the replicator is built) greater than Journeyman. 

Ahh, but there is a catch. A big one. it takes (among other things) 100 element to craft the tek replicator. You can convert element dust into element, but it takes 1000 dust to make ONE element. (yes you heard that right, one THOUSAND). So you have to gather 100,000 dust to even make enough element to craft the dang thing. Yes I know there are element veins but the point is players STARTING on this map don't have access to the needed "things" to go after that for a long...long time (and actual element itself is rare in the veins anyways).

Clearly I understand this is literally the "end game" map. I get it. You are "supposed" to only be here after beating every single boss in every (official) map and be full tek by now. But they put the tek replicator engram in drops  SPECIFICALLY for those starting here, as it is needed to craft things specific to this map.  But once again. The multiplayer design mentality strikes again. I really don't think anyone at wildcard has ever REALLY tried to play this game in Singleplayer for any real length of time. Having to gather 100,000 of anything alone just to build one item is beyond ridiculous. And lets not get into the discussion of "just tweak your gather rates in your own game" There are reasons to not just set this at 10x and call it a day. 

starting fresh on extinction is the only way i've done it so far.  on unofficial it can be harder at times because of wierd things in the city killing you but on official there are so many buildings in the city i've went an entire hour before without finding something to kill for hide.  as always the most difficult hurdle on pve servers is other players existing everywhere you want to go.

• 6 months later...

You are able to unlock almost every tekgram by deafeating anyone of the titan boss's and the desert titan is easiest to defeat if you are trying to solo any lvl of flak armour and atleast a dousen of flying mounts.

Dont be afraid to lose one or two of them. Taking a couple of parachutes with you will also be crucial as the flock can dismount you

I mean me and my friend started from scratch on extinction and are already lvl 105 just taming up enough fliers is the hard part

On 11/14/2018 at 7:56 PM, rcadden said:

Archived