Meks are pretty meh

RipRavage

1 hour ago, RipRavage said:

Does anybody else feel like the Meks are pretty underpowered for the amount of resources high level ones require to craft?  The only thing I can see them being useful for is mobile siege engines, but even then there isn't much they do that a giga and a canon quetz couldn't do better.

I think they can damage Tek structures though? I know Giga's can't. To clarify, I'm not sure if they can or not I have not tested that, but I feel like the Siege cannon module would.

If you’re base is being approached by a Forest Titan, what do you do? You can either try to get out your boss Rexes and deploy them via cryopod at the risk of losing a good few and some of your base, or you can deploy your Mek and take it to meet the Titan while your buddy gets the Rexes ready. You either hold off the Titan long enough to get the Rexes out, or you end up killing the Titan with a little finesse. 

Plus, if people see you’ve got a Mek outside your base, or multiple, they might think twice about a raid simply because if you can afford to spend the resources on them, you’ll probably have a huge battery of super dangerous weaponry and other stuff.

Plus, they’ll probably change their stats later if they lag behind enough.

1 hour ago, RowletAlex said:

If you’re base is being approached by a Forest Titan, what do you do? You can either try to get out your boss Rexes and deploy them via cryopod at the risk of losing a good few and some of your base, or you can deploy your Mek and take it to meet the Titan while your buddy gets the Rexes ready. You either hold off the Titan long enough to get the Rexes out, or you end up killing the Titan with a little finesse. 

Plus, if people see you’ve got a Mek outside your base, or multiple, they might think twice about a raid simply because if you can afford to spend the resources on them, you’ll probably have a huge battery of super dangerous weaponry and other stuff.

Plus, they’ll probably change their stats later if they lag behind enough.

Unless it is specifically is mounted with a cannon I don't see how it would be a better deterrent than a giga.  Gigas have better damage, can wear saddles giving them armor, and can be mate boosted and imprinted.  I'll take on a mek in a fight any day of the week over fighting a giga.  Plus the ammo for the cannon is semi expensive compared to the free Giga bites.

5 hours ago, TheInverse said:

I think they can damage Tek structures though? I know Giga's can't. To clarify, I'm not sure if they can or not I have not tested that, but I feel like the Siege cannon module would.

I guess like I stated above they could help with sieges, but I think they would get shredded pretty quickly by any imprinted rexes or gigas.

10 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Unless it is specifically is mounted with a cannon I don't see how it would be a better deterrent than a giga.  Gigas have better damage, can wear saddles giving them armor, and can be mate boosted and imprinted.  I'll take on a mek in a fight any day of the week over fighting a giga.  Plus the ammo for the cannon is semi expensive compared to the free Giga bites.

Yeah, that’s fair. I hope they get buffed.

12 hours ago, revjiggs said:

Think of it as a giant set of armor rather than another dino. You can chill at the back shooting the pistols and fly away when you need to kite attacking dinos. That said. It could do with more health/ damage. I also havn't found any way to craft higher level ones.

Orbital supply drops have a chance of giving Mek blueprints, and you can find the Mek Module blueprints as well. (I got a Mastercraft missile launcher thingo from a supply drop)

18 hours ago, revjiggs said:

Think of it as a giant set of armor rather than another dino. You can chill at the back shooting the pistols and fly away when you need to kite attacking dinos. That said. It could do with more health/ damage. I also havn't found any way to craft higher level ones.

I’ve played around with them for a bit and just like I said before their main uses are as siege engines.  The only other use they have is for taming Titans with the cannon.  I think it is a little dumb that creatures that wouldn’t aggro on a Rex want to attack a giant robot that is three times the size of a Rex.  And like the guy above said you can get blue prints from orbital drops.

6 hours ago, RipRavage said:

I’ve played around with them for a bit and just like I said before their main uses are as siege engines.  The only other use they have is for taming Titans with the cannon.  I think it is a little dumb that creatures that wouldn’t aggro on a Rex want to attack a giant robot that is three times the size of a Rex.  And like the guy above said you can get blue prints from orbital drops.

Fair enough, just need orbital supply drops to work again now :)

Honestly even higher quality ones are meh. Their damage scaling isn't that great. I spawned in some bp's on sp. Between the primitive lvl 51 basic one, and a lvl 449 + 81% crafting skill bonus, the damage between the two on a sword swing is about 1400, which doesn't sound like a lot, but an additional almost 400 levels should be a lot more. 

I feel like their ranged potential is fine being nerfed but that melee potential needs to be higher.

I'd also like to know how we're expected to heal them, if snow owl and/or daeodon is the intended form, or if we're supposed to be healing them via element. Just some really odd problems with these things, make me not want to make one.

6 minutes ago, Vynlann said:

Honestly even higher quality ones are meh. Their damage scaling isn't that great. I spawned in some bp's on sp. Between the primitive lvl 51 basic one, and a lvl 449 + 81% crafting skill bonus, the damage between the two on a sword swing is about 1400, which doesn't sound like a lot, but an additional almost 400 levels should be a lot more. 

I feel like their ranged potential is fine being nerfed but that melee potential needs to be higher.

I'd also like to know how we're expected to heal them, if snow owl and/or daeodon is the intended form, or if we're supposed to be healing them via element. Just some really odd problems with these things, make me not want to make one.

I’ve heard that scouts are supposed to heal them, but I haven’t tested it.  And you know the subpar melee damage and laughable melee range are what kills meks more than anything for me.  Hitting small targets with the sword is a pain since you have to look down while doing it and it’s really easy to miss pesky small aggressive creatures like wolves which immediately aggro on you.

Just now, Vynlann said:

Yeah the aggro is another thing. I feel like the Mek's should only aggro what rex's are able to aggro. If not what a giga would. It's sad, and unfortunate. And until it sees some love I likely won't craft a mek until I absolutely have to.

Taking a Mek into the snow Titan cave is basically suicide, which I feel shouldn’t be the case for a giant robot.  My giga has cleared the snow and desert caves with ease, my Mek and me had to run away about ten feet into the snow cave.

On 11/12/2018 at 2:57 PM, RipRavage said:

I’ve heard that scouts are supposed to heal them, but I haven’t tested it.  And you know the subpar melee damage and laughable melee range are what kills meks more than anything for me.  Hitting small targets with the sword is a pain since you have to look down while doing it and it’s really easy to miss pesky small aggressive creatures like wolves which immediately aggro on you.

Scouts do heal Meks, my tribe and i do it all the time. Meks are ehhh very useful to kill corrupted wyrens but they have a hard time killing a corrupted giga.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 7:58 PM, TR-8R said:

For something made of full metal the Mek should have defense bonus.....

Right now it feel like you are riding a wolf , sure it is strong but it have no saddle .

Even asc mek got demolished by a tamed king reaper....

Put a shield module on it. it gives a passive armor value of 20 like a weak saddle (and can be upgraded!)

1 hour ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Put a shield module on it. it gives a passive armor value of 20 like a weak saddle (and can be upgraded!)

The amount of resources you have to put into high quality attachments is much higher than most saddles, that why almost any other tame is a better option for most things short of PVP raiding.  I had a really embarrassing moment while I was trying to tame the snow titan, I had to turn for half a second to deal with the lowly wolves and daedons that for some reason think they can kill a 50 foot giant robot, and in those few seconds the Ice Titan decided to perform a flying frog splash onto my Mek and bash it to pieces.  Now had I been on most other large tames the stupid wolves would have ignored me.  On top of that when I got killed later the bag fell through the ground, so I lost the shield unit my Mek had on it as well.

Here, laugh at my sadness.

Archived