Making the wasteland easy when you meant it not to be?...

Shadlos

You yourself stated as a game developer company that the wasteland was no man's land. It was a place hell on earth that people were not supposed to be basing or staying long term.

Yet people whine about getting their wasteland bases wiped by meteors, corrupted dinos, OSD Drops, and Element Veins- and you cater to them by removing these base-destroying features?...

I understand the meteor shower thing was due to meteors landing in unintended areas, i had a few tribemates in the snow region get nuked by one earlier today.

Yet if people aren't supposed to be building in the wastes, you have supply drops which nuke things on impact, meteors showers that nuke things on impact, and all manner of corrupted dinos damage all manner of structures for a reason,

Why should you care if somebody whines about their base in a place its not supposed to be at getting wiped by features MEANT to wipe them?

The whole element vein removal thing really makes no sense to me wildcard. Are we supposed to be cautious in the Wastelands, like you said, and not base there due to danger; or just waltz on through without a problem and do as we please?

The Element Vein removal wasn't just because of people whining about base destruction in only Wasteland. that bug had caused a lot of base NOT at Extinction and NOT at Wasteland to get destroyed as well. One of my tribe's base was randomly destroyed and its not even anywhere in the wasteland.

EDIT: @SmokeyB Care to explain why you facepalmed at this post? I am stating the fact they have posted.

Ah, Jen's post wasn't clear about that then. Made it seem like only bases in the wasteland were getting destroyed (as they should be)

Maybe it has something to due with the radius at which the vein spawns corrupted to attack or something. That's at least an idea my modder's brain is telling me at the thought.

Arguably, Exinction isnt meant necessarily as a PvP friendly map? Ark devs have it so that if Scouts see a player attack another player, that attacker gets "marked" by the drone and all nearby Enforcers and Defense Units rush to kill said person. They're trying to enforce the city as a safe zone. The DLC is also about the survivors coming this far to band together to slay the king titan, after all.

But they said it on stream it is MEANT to be that dangerous. They said on stream on multiple occasions you're not supposed to be building out there. That's why meteors basically nuked everything regardless of health and armor on impact, and why drops when they came down did the same in larger radius. Same as to why all manner of corrupted, from dilo to wyverns, damage even tek structures.

I don't think they designed it to be PvP friendly from a lore standpoint and they reflected that in gameplay. As far as i can tell, you're only supposed to be building in those four regions. Desert, snow, forest and city. As they themselves have said.

That not viable for the base siege pvp mega tribes are used to? too bad, adapt. Try guerrilla warfare sometime or fragmenting into several smaller bases. Maps offer new challenges for a reason. 

By the end of the day, wildcard stated and meant what they said about not basing in the wasteland. If you base out there you're asking for trouble.

They took out the meteor showers for now.   On the assumption they come back a few questions:

1) Are you safe if you're under an environmental structure (build your base under a stone archway or something)?

2) Do tek Forcefields protect against them?

3) Does Metal/Tek structure survive a meteor impact?   Players/creatures inside?

4) Does it affect "offline protection" bases?

The wasteland seems to have plenty of danger. Corrupted gigas and wyverns could easily throw you off when you start building, and if someone fails a meteor drop thing I think the dinos remain. If you have a pack of enforcers you might be able to get set up though, but the wastelands are big and barren, with less things to tame and less cool things to find. I have not explored the wasteland much, but I doubt many people build there.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, Moonie1 said:

Where did it say not to build in the wastelands that everything you have can be destroyed randomly? Furthermore, why the hell would they designate that much of the map un-buildable?!?

To keep structures down so server performance doesn't run like crap. Also why they added cryopods, Dino leashes, and SOON a kibble rework to eliminate massive kib farms. Start using the tools at your disposal now. It's the new generation of ARK unfolding and it's dang sure for the best. Having a crap load of tames out causes more server performance issues than anything. Tame animations, and rendering of them is what causes massive lag and rubber banding when people load into server or pass a major base. These issues reflect serverwide and too many don't realize it.

Hardly anyone is using cryos on officials. Why would they? All it does it let someone else tame/raise a dino while yours goes into storage. I havent yet tried to pull any out of stasis with the server capped but lets see what the two outcomes will be. 1. server is capped, I cant get dino out, so I essentially screwed myself and someone else got my dinos spot. or 2. it ignores the server cap in which case people can bring a ton of cryo'd dinos over and flood the server, ignoring the cap yet at the same time those dinos count towards the cap and it put it in the red, making things even worse for people trying to tame. In both cases, you are better off just keeping the dino in your base. Its a system relying upon people being unselfish, which is doomed to fail knowing how we humans work, especially anonymously online.

Its not that the issues you mentioned arent realized by the players, its that they dont care. Its our selfish human nature in effect.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:34 PM, Moonie1 said:

Hardly anyone is using cryos on officials. Why would they? All it does it let someone else tame/raise a dino while yours goes into storage. I havent yet tried to pull any out of stasis with the server capped but lets see what the two outcomes will be. 1. server is capped, I cant get dino out, so I essentially screwed myself and someone else got my dinos spot. or 2. it ignores the server cap in which case people can bring a ton of cryo'd dinos over and flood the server, ignoring the cap yet at the same time those dinos count towards the cap and it put it in the red, making things even worse for people trying to tame. In both cases, you are better off just keeping the dino in your base. Its a system relying upon people being unselfish, which is doomed to fail knowing how we humans work, especially anonymously online.

Its not that the issues you mentioned arent realized by the players, its that they dont care. Its our selfish human nature in effect.

Actually, it's just plain ignorant to leave Dino's out. It's causes wayyyyyyyyyyy more issues for rendering and lag than mega structures. More people need to realize instead of thinking they're bad@$$ with all their crappy tames sitting everywhere hogging server resources. They seriously need to lower tribe tame count. 500 is just too many for one tribe to be allowed to have out at once. Make it 50-100. There's no need for more than that being out, at all.

On 1/12/2019 at 3:31 AM, MorbidAvenger said:

Actually, it's just plain ignorant to leave Dino's out. It's causes wayyyyyyyyyyy more issues for rendering and lag than mega structures. More people need to realize instead of thinking they're bad@$$ with all their crappy tames sitting everywhere hogging server resources. They seriously need to lower tribe tame count. 500 is just too many for one tribe to be allowed to have out at once. Make it 50-100. There's no need for more than that being out, at all.

Some ppl leave dino not in cryo due to the mating cool down like myself I breed for mutation I can't cryo the females ?

Archived