What is the role of a Mek?

Vynlann

Now before I start, I know there is a lot of heat surrounding the Mek. I get it, people have lost bases in short times because of this oversight, but I come from a different perspective and I'm trying to understand why even build a Mek.

Meks feel weak PvE wise. Their sword does between 700-800 damage. Their cannon is a triple fire each doing around 200 damage. Their attachments even if you get a good blueprint for one, don't seem to do much for what I thought they were used for. 

So that's why I'm here. Are they meant for OSD's? Are they meant for titan fighting, killing and/or taming? 

Like, where does  Mek's role begin and stop. Because at this point, I feel like they're pretty worthless in PvE.

17 minutes ago, Vaculity said:

They are mostly meant from what you just said. Titans are way larger than any of the creatures, even larger than Titanosaur. Unless you have a decent imprinted group of rex (or range hitters like Managarmr and Velonasaur for desert titan case), Meks are also a way to go.

Titans shred meks though. Meks have less HP than most boss rex's by half. They also hit for the same in melee if not less. 

I'm just having a hard time believing unless you can get higher quality/level Meks that they will be the solution for this.

1 hour ago, Vynlann said:

Titans shred meks though. Meks have less HP than most boss rex's by half. They also hit for the same in melee if not less. 

I'm just having a hard time believing unless you can get higher quality/level Meks that they will be the solution for this.

I used a Primitive Mek against the Ice Titan, you just gotta dodge around which is easier as the Titans generally have really slow and obvious animations before they attack (the Ice Titan rises up before he slams down, giving enough time for a Mek to dodge to the side)

46 minutes ago, TheInverse said:

I used a Primitive Mek against the Ice Titan, you just gotta dodge around which is easier as the Titans generally have really slow and obvious animations before they attack (the Ice Titan rises up before he slams down, giving enough time for a Mek to dodge to the side)

I mean I'm sure it's possible. But at the same time why not just bring a 20-40 rex's raised, with 100+ armor saddles. They'll probably finish the fight faster and more secure. Hell even better with a Yuty.

5 minutes ago, Vynlann said:

I mean I'm sure it's possible. But at the same time why not just bring a 20-40 rex's raised, with 100+ armor saddles. They'll probably finish the fight faster and more secure. Hell even better with a Yuty.

20-40 rex's which will probably most likely die due to the sheer power of the titans, plus all the work to get good saddles and raise them all, or 1 mek that can easily do the fight securely if you just pay attention. Seems like an obvious choice.

5 minutes ago, TheInverse said:

20-40 rex's which will probably most likely die due to the sheer power of the titans, plus all the work to get good saddles and raise them all, or 1 mek that can easily do the fight securely if you just pay attention. Seems like an obvious choice.

I mean I guess? I just wish Mek's had more health as well. They're supposed to be basically this "problem solving machine" and they just feel weak overall.

I think that Meks are not for direct offense against Titans or anything else (you wouldn’t use them for a raid) but rather, they’re what you use when someone else with a Titan comes to raid you. (Or someone kites a Titan to you in PVE if your base is within a biodome) Titans are fairly slow with the exception of the Frost Titan, so you can often bring a battle to them if you can get there. This is a situation when you’d deploy your Mek, or preferably a group of them each with a different module, and that way you can take the fight to the Titan.

You can either kill the Titan there and then or alternatively simply distract the Titan long enough to allow someone to carry in a squad of battle Rexes in cryopods. Plus, if only one Titan can exist at a time you won’t always be able to have a Titan to defend you, and it could very well be out of your Rexes reach. A Frost Titan could easily just jump away from your Rexes and attack your base from the other side until they get there, and Rexes can’t fly so Desert Titans are immune to them.

From what I can see, Meks are not meant to be used alone but with a small army beside them, and as a means of combating Titans that is weaker purposefully because you can have any number of them at once. Judging by the Mega Mek being exclusive to the final boss they’re probably meant for boss/Titan fights because lore. 

Plus, sometimes you just gotta run around in a giant mech and slaughter the local wildlife/thatch hut bases, you know? It’s pretty fun using a giant missile the size of a small whale to take out a stego or whatever.

And of course, Extinction just released. As the community settles in and starts scrutinizing and using this stuff in real PVP or PVE situations they’ll balance it to match. Stat changes to the mek will almost certainly happen because of how important they are.

35 minutes ago, RowletAlex said:

I think that Meks are not for direct offense against Titans or anything else (you wouldn’t use them for a raid) but rather, they’re what you use when someone else with a Titan comes to raid you. (Or someone kites a Titan to you in PVE if your base is within a biodome) Titans are fairly slow with the exception of the Frost Titan, so you can often bring a battle to them if you can get there. This is a situation when you’d deploy your Mek, or preferably a group of them each with a different module, and that way you can take the fight to the Titan.

You can either kill the Titan there and then or alternatively simply distract the Titan long enough to allow someone to carry in a squad of battle Rexes in cryopods. Plus, if only one Titan can exist at a time you won’t always be able to have a Titan to defend you, and it could very well be out of your Rexes reach. A Frost Titan could easily just jump away from your Rexes and attack your base from the other side until they get there, and Rexes can’t fly so Desert Titans are immune to them.

From what I can see, Meks are not meant to be used alone but with a small army beside them, and as a means of combating Titans that is weaker purposefully because you can have any number of them at once. Judging by the Mega Mek being exclusive to the final boss they’re probably meant for boss/Titan fights because lore. 

Plus, sometimes you just gotta run around in a giant mech and slaughter the local wildlife/thatch hut bases, you know? It’s pretty fun using a giant missile the size of a small whale to take out a stego or whatever.

And of course, Extinction just released. As the community settles in and starts scrutinizing and using this stuff in real PVP or PVE situations they’ll balance it to match. Stat changes to the mek will almost certainly happen because of how important they are.

I agree with most of this, however.

The Ice Titan is still really slow, his leap is the only thing that makes him remotely fast in any way.

Mek's can be used on raids, a portable shield barrier? Siege cannon? Yes please.

Using Rexes is cryopods does not help a whole lot when you consider cryopod sickness.

More than one Titan can exist at a time, just not more than one of the same type. If you're being attacked by an Ice Titan, you can have a Forest Titan on your side. Granted the Ice Titan has more mobility than the Forest Titan, it could still work.

The Mega Mek is the only thing limited to the Alpha King Titan boss fight, I could see a multitude of uses for Mek's, considering they can be used on other maps also, my main problem is that the Mek's have a "breathing" animation even though they're mechanical robots, supposed to be exactly that, a mech.

• 2 weeks later...

The mek’s shield is only so good, because rockets and enemy/neutral creatures can still get passed it. The mek is still quite good, but also, as already said, there will be balance changes. But mostly on the velonasaur. 

Also does anyone know how to recover an account on here? My old account was on a gnspes email. 

Without acess to the email because it got shut down. 

On 11/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, Vynlann said:

Now before I start, I know there is a lot of heat surrounding the Mek. I get it, people have lost bases in short times because of this oversight, but I come from a different perspective and I'm trying to understand why even build a Mek.

Meks feel weak PvE wise. Their sword does between 700-800 damage. Their cannon is a triple fire each doing around 200 damage. Their attachments even if you get a good blueprint for one, don't seem to do much for what I thought they were used for. 

So that's why I'm here. Are they meant for OSD's? Are they meant for titan fighting, killing and/or taming? 

Like, where does  Mek's role begin and stop. Because at this point, I feel like they're pretty worthless in PvE.

Unfortunately Meks at the moment are basically mobile raid and Titan taming support, the only advantage they have over a paracer or quetz is their shield unit and agility.  Using a Mek in their current state in a PvP fight against a well armored Rex is foolish. 

Another great thing from the lore I read the other day is that one of the notes you can find describes a situation in which a certain two survivors somehow managed to fight off hoards corrupted dinos that were pursuing them and MULTIPLE TITANS in a single Mek.  In my mind the immediate words that rang out were "BULL S**T".

3 hours ago, Migol said:

Anyone tried them against the corrupted wyverns on the red and purple Orbital drops?    Those are by far the hardest parts, nothing seems to be a good answer at the moment since they made turrets useless, wondering if the Mek is good for dealing with them?

If you are using the engram version , it will lose every time facing the orbital drop version of wyvern , theirs fire breath and even bite with hurt you a lot and they will keep circling around. 

The current mek is weak , it can't take out dino reliably , anything as small as raptor will most likely dodge the sword sweep and go straight for the foot . Allosaurus will make the Mek bleed and the weasel fill force you to eject from cockpit .

Mek should have more HP and armor modification to at least deter the enemy attempt to use Titan on you . As of now all they need is Velo and even a tamed Reaper to take it out , even the asc Mek version .

What ? Less developed tribe not stand a chance ? Dude , the moment a tribe have replicator set up and gather enough mat to make a Mek , those live in stone houses smelting ingot with primitive forge already don't have a chance , keep catering to those unwillingly to develop theirs tribe gonna hurt everybody in the long run .

• 1 month later...

Meks are incredibly strong in pve. They just require a bit more skill to master than a Dino. I’ve killed all titans and tamed ice titan all with a primitive level 51 Mek. As well as soloing yellow and red drops with just a 116 apprentice Mek and a few stone gates.  Using all only stats changed on our server are taming and breeding speeds as well as having the difficulty set a little higher. 

P.s. any Mek can shred a wild giga in seconds. Tested this thousands of times. 

Use the gun. And try to get direct hits as they do significantly more damage and use your boost to dodge hits and stay back. I only use the sword on wyverns as it very difficult to shoot them. But I still shoot till they get to me.  Try to find something to stand on (or several places to stand) so you don’t get trapped.  

Oh and don’t forget to wall in the drop quickly before you start there’s no way you will keep them all back. Especially the spinos. Omg they are fast!!

8 hours ago, TR-8R said:

I did tested , it won't kill wild giga in seconds .

A lv 225 mek will brawl it out with a true wild lv 150 giga in several minutes and got its HP cut down to 1/4 .

Lv115 mek against red drop , not a chance , video or bust .

When the mek was released there were bugs with the sword in laggy servers. One, the sword didnt hit 90% of the time.

Two, when it did, it did ~15-30k damage per strike.

Both were fixed but a mek can still take on a giga if you are careful.

11 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

When the mek was released there were bugs with the sword in laggy servers. One, the sword didnt hit 90% of the time.

Two, when it did, it did ~15-30k damage per strike.

Both were fixed but a mek can still take on a giga if you are careful.

Might also be worth noting that the 116 Mek I used was ascendant with a pretty high hp and melee stat on blueprint. 

With some resent testing I’ve discovered that the % on the bp affect the stats more than the level. At least to a certain extent. 

Seems the Mek has a certain base stats per level and then that number is modified by the % quality on the bp

• 2 weeks later...

Archived