TBG - Private Server - Not accepting new players

Welcome to The Beard Guys Private Dedicated Server thread!

This is the primary place to find out if the server is going to be down. Check here before messaging me please. You can "follow" this thread and get e-mail updates when I post.

ALWAYS check here before starting a big tame, or doing anything really. I will post server downtime and disruption notices HERE and only here. If you don't check it, don't moan when the server goes down in the middle of your perfect tame. The channel comes first.

When we upload videos we will usually shut the server off for 1-2 hours whilst this happens. It is usually ok when we upload but sometimes the server can lag out/crash. So sometimes we might leave it running when we upload but with a "Don't do anything that you'd be annoyed if you lost" warning. I'll try and post in hear to give advance notice of uploads where possible.

Disruption has been minimal so far but just wanted to post that disclaimer.

This server is private and we will not be accepting any players who post here, apologies but that's the way it is. This thread is just a convenient place to list the rules, and for the people we have already been given access to to discuss those rules and other ideas for the server.

Friends: Please don't post the server name, gamertag, password etc on here or I'll shave your beard off.

The Server:

• UK based
  • 24/7 (Apart from when we turn it off to upload vids)
  • 200Mbps download, 12Mbps upload

I'll send a global notification out in game when I am going to reboot the server, and try to give you minimum 10 mins warning.

Drop me a message if the server is not working for you. If I'm out/at work/in bed you'll have to wait till I am available to reset the server.

Most likely times for me to be uploading videos (during the week)

GMT 18:00-19:30 & 23:00-00:00

Weekends I'll try and get the uploading done GMT morning where possible to cause the least disruption possible.

Settings:

• PvE (Wars are enabled)
  • PvE Dino Carry enabled
  • Difficulty: 1.0
  • Night time speed: 4x normal speed.
  • XP: x3 normal rate

All other settings as default. I hate taming and harvest boost, not going to happen. We don't want easy mode.

Keep in mind that we will be filming a lot of videos on this server so we may tweak things from time to time to assist that, or temporarily alter settings for video purposes. We may even decide to switch the whole server to PvP in 6 months time...who knows. 

Rules:

• Don't muck up spawning of key resources (by building foundations or pillars with ceilings on near them).
  • Don't build anything in the volcano crater (We're gonna build some kind of communal forge there sometime, maybe)
  • Don't build on top of mountains near resource spawns. If you want to put a forge or something up do it away from any metal spawns
  • Don't build too near to other people's bases. It's a low population server with plenty of room for everybody.
  • Don't grief anyone, don't drop wild dinos into peoples bases etc.
  • Don't block off massive areas forcing people to take huge detours to get around your base.
  • Don't block off or build in caves or beacons. Feel free to build fairly near the beacons though if you want.
  • Don't build anything big in the middle of the swamps.
  • Don't spam foundations/pillars to claim land. If anyone one builds right next to you, Admins will sort it out.
  • Keep tribes smallish, 5-6 ppl max.
  • No importing of items/characters/dinos.
  • If you want a friend to join, ask me.
  • Don't share the password/gamertag with ANYONE. If I see anyone on the server who I didn't invite, they'll get perma-banned, and if I find out someone invited them, I'll ban them too.
  • Play nice, don't troll anyone. Feel free to muck about with people who you know can take a joke though :P

If anyone breaches a rule above, let me know and we'll sort it.

Please respect the server rules and the decisions of the admins. It takes time, effort and money to run the server and we'll do our best to make sure it's fun and fair.

I doubt we'll have issues other than accidental ones as it's only close friends of The Beard Guys (and some of their friends) on the server anyway.

Basically, just don't be a d**k and everything should be fine.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would be cool to have a big focus on communal/public areas for people to hang out it. Stuff like:

pubs, bars (with a cage for fist fights in, and betting). Dino racing tracks (land and fliers), a trading post/posts, shooting gallery, target practice with dropping dodos/throwing monkeys. Obstacle courses etc.

Plus maybe build seperate PvP bases sometime and take turns declaring war and trying to break into them.

59 minutes ago, DonThommo said:

Thanks dude :) Yea we must have 300+ WoT videos on the channel!

AND - they are well edited with good sound quality!

-an idea for your bar fight public area... our tribe built a celebrity deathmatch ring for wooden club fights.  Whomever gets knocked out first gets tossed over the edge to get eaten by the man-eater dung beetles! 

I'd love to see the server with PvP settings, but with the understanding that designated zones will be Conflict-free.

We might want a village area with every tribe represented. We could limit our footprints to 3x3 or something, and build as close as possible, or all contribute materials and have Don lay down the structures almost adjacent to one-another.

I'm excited about this starting up, and can't wait to meet everyone.

On 28 February 2016 at 0:47 AM, KeystoneCops said:

I'd love to see the server with PvP settings, but with the understanding that designated zones will be Conflict-free.

We might want a village area with every tribe represented. We could limit our footprints to 3x3 or something, and build as close as possible, or all contribute materials and have Don lay down the structures almost adjacent to one-another.

I'm excited about this starting up, and can't wait to meet everyone.

Hey dude :)

I think we'll probably leave it PvE but encourage people to try out te wars feature for now, as it makes things a little too volatile for the recording we want to do. Plus I am at work or sleeping 3/4 of my life so I don't want to be in constant fear of getting my stuff wrecked :P

I'm not ruling out switching it to PvP later on, with certain safe zones etc, but I want to let propel get levelled up a bit, get established and the we can think about shooting each other.

with regard to communal areas: yes yes yes. I'm really keen on encouraging each tribe to make some kind of cool public area once we are set up a bit, maybe as a bit of a fun competition. Who can make the best mini-game or bar or whatever, and then we can go round and visit them each in turn.

A place where we have a communal village type thing could be cool, Johnny mentioned a similar idea. We can have a think on it. A unlocked vault where people can dump resources and a designated builder could work well for it.

Personally I want to build a trading outpost on or near the volcano, that can be a nice central location for people to meet to trade, and also have some public forged for people mining at the volcano.

I've got the server running now, I'm using this week as a test to see how it rubs and iron out the creases but once it's stable enough I will share the details to those who need em :)

16 hours ago, KeystoneCops said:

If Alliance features are on par with PC, then we can simply align all tribes and build next to each other. Allies can't snap to each other, but the proxy rule is turned off.

Well then there wouldn't be any need to be on PvP anyway. We have dino carry enabled for PvE so you can carry Wild dinos with fliers, which the lack thereof is one of the biggest annoyances on official PvE servers.

1 hour ago, DonThommo said:

Well then there wouldn't be any need to be on PvP anyway. We have dino carry enabled for PvE so you can carry Wild dinos with fliers, which the lack thereof is one of the biggest annoyances on official PvE servers.

My last comment was assuming Alliances work in PvE. Simply for the building options, they're worth investigating.

Can't wait!

7 minutes ago, KeystoneCops said:

My last comment was assuming Alliances work in PvE. Simply for the building options, they're worth investigating.

Can't wait!

Ah ok, right. Yea not sure how they affect building. If we want to build a big town with stuff close together we may have to just deliver resources there and have a tribe designated as builders.

tbh I think we need a few weeks to get started and build up some basic bases first anyway.

I'll be uploading a video this evening around 11pm GMT. Hopefully shouldn't take more than an hour. I'll leave the server running to see what happens. Don't do ANYTHING you don't mind losing. It lagged out like crazy on me whilst uploading yesterday and threw me and my wolf several hundred meters into the air when it came back, which was a fairly terrifying experience.

RE: Skype, yea sounds good. I only have you on Skype at the moment from the gang. I'll ask around who else uses it.

Archived