What genius decided Gasbags should take fall damage

RipRavage

For a creature that takes 7plus hours to tame with no known kibble you would think there would be an upside to this creature other than its weight.  Why in the hell do gasbags take tremendous amounts of fall damage when their whole stupid gimmick is that they are balloons?  The controls for the gasbag flight is garbage and the fall damage makes it borderline unusable.

Something tells me this is either a bug or something the devs will fix in a later patch for balancing. It kinda defeats the point of a gasbag when they can fly and you can’t control the gas output as far as I can tell. Maybe if they make it to where you have to regulate their height or they have a maximum potential height, but removing fall damage seems far simpler. 

stop holding down buttons longer than necessary treat the gasbags like a jetpack/hot air balloon w gives you more forward momentum at the cost of oxygen left and right attempts to shift your course in those directions and back well goes back very useful for if you miss you landing spot and if you have gas left. and space increases altitude do not hold that down for too long unless you want to run out of oxygen and have a dead gasbag. the real trick is everything is on a slight delay as soon as you notice your moving in the way you want to go let go of the button. also you dont take fall damage if you have oxygen left so plan your flight accordingly and ration your oxygen accordingly so you have some left to land.

The thing I find most annoying about this is I saw gasbags and thought, hey this might be a nicer and faster alternative to Quetzal metal runs, but instead got a super hard to control garbage creature that takes longer to tame and dies instantly from its own flight ability.  Most the other stuff in extinction I love and think is some of WC's best work, but the gasbags are trash in their current state.

honestly I would go pteranodon over gas bag. you can barely steer there is now way to control height or go down and after a few seconds you just go up not across honestly a moth is more useful.I watched someone tame a level 150 and it done 15 damage really wild card this thing is at the bottom of the poop chart right under moth. I hate to be critical but I speak the truth. bty I do not have extinction I played it at my friends palce and I watched vids. all I would use it for is a mule or a decoy. :( 

Just to clarify it for you guys, as long as you have air left in your Gasbags, you don't take fall damage. A tribemate flew first time with ours last night and he was dropping  like a hot pancake from every height but 0 damage taken since air was left in the tank. I'm just a bit sad that the kibble is now known and that I've waste 10h30min to tame a 125 one with 20% efficiency left or something?

On 11/10/2018 at 3:25 AM, Havokpaintedwolf said:

stop holding down buttons longer than necessary treat the gasbags like a jetpack/hot air balloon w gives you more forward momentum at the cost of oxygen left and right attempts to shift your course in those directions and back well goes back very useful for if you miss you landing spot and if you have gas left. and space increases altitude do not hold that down for too long unless you want to run out of oxygen and have a dead gasbag. the real trick is everything is on a slight delay as soon as you notice your moving in the way you want to go let go of the button. also you dont take fall damage if you have oxygen left so plan your flight accordingly and ration your oxygen accordingly so you have some left to land.

He is right, I can't fly it either, I'm always the co-pilot when it comes to metal/wood farming with the gasbags :D I let other people fly :D

Ive personally been using Gasbags since ive started on the map, and theyre insanely useful creatures, still have the first one I tamed! They are very fast when controlled correctly, amazing for quick escapes or scouting for creatures, plus they are perfect weight dinos, with no needed saddle! For controls, ill say this: 

C: Releases all air in the Gasbag, even if you are flying. Do not use this to quickly fall down, as you will take fall damage! Instead, wait till the gasbag floats down, its not that bad!

Space: Jets the gasbag into the air! Where you look when you press this greatly affects how far you blast off and where you blast off, so if you look at the ground, you do a short hop, but if you look straight up, you blast into the air. Also, when you blast off with space, you will push away any dinos or survivors that are nearby, so be careful! 

WASD: These keys will control how you fly when in air! Remember, that these are not typical flyers, and they use air to jet themselves places, so there is a delay when you press a key. Holding these keys for too long will blast you off higher, so once you know you are moving in the right direction, let go! 

Gas Meter: The gas is in the bottom left of your screen, next to your hotbar! You can increase the total amount of air in the meter by upping the Gasbags oxygen stat, and adding stamina helps this too! You will want to plan your flight to see if you can land often, as you don't want to be stuck with a dead gasbag. If you are near or below half oxygen, land as soon as you can! 

RMB & LMB: RMB replenishes the oxygen if you hold it down, and rather quickly! LMB is a simple bite attack, but Gasbags do very little damage, so its not too needed. 

7 hours ago, Kodking194 said:

My friends gas bag lvl 150 when wild died even with half the air in it and  as far as we know there are no ways to stop it from going up and start going down unless you empty all the air

This happened to me too, I’ve had them take damage from a fall with air still in the tank.

So I decided to just cheat myself a Gasbags to figure out what you’re supposed to do with them, and they honestly handle more like a glider or hot air balloon. A summary of how I got them to work:

Firstly, I pumped oxygen to 5000, so I’ve got loads. Don’t bother with pumping anything but oxygen or weight, but you might increase the health and stamina depending on your gasbag.

I take off via tapping space. I hold down W for a few seconds which usually sends me with enough momentum in the direction I wanna go. I don’t fly very high, but gasbags seem to be meant to float just to get over obstacles with ease. If I start dropping too low and I don’t want to land, I hold W for a few seconds or until I’m far enough from the ground. I can’t really control where exactly I land but I don’t empty my tank unless I’m over water, because if I’m high enough I would miss my landing spot by a significant amount with my current momentum I’d take significant fall damage.(Though it does get easier to judge when to boost and how long it takes a gasbag to land as you fly)

TLDR: Gasbags aren’t meant for high-altitude flight like other flyers, but rather they’ve just got a really big jump of sorts, and they need a little bit of finesse to use. I find flying them rather fun, and they make good pets if anything because they’re so cute. Plus, I recall hearing Jen say they have amongst the highest base weight stats in the game, though I’m not sure if this is true.

It’s a shame they can’t maintain altitude like other flyers, but they’re breedable so someone could probably get one with insane oxygen, enough to fly for far longer and probably higher.

The gasbag is amazing once you learn how to fly it! It takes some getting used to. When it lands it loses a bit of air - you can hear it get squeaked out. If you don't have that air available then you take fall damage.  The main thing is to not keep pressing forward - this will make you go up and loose air.

The main factor in flying these things is to manage the takeoff properly - once your gasbag starts to descend you can really only control which direction it's going in - you cannot begin to ascend again. So if you want to fly the gasbag up a fair height then you have to commit to that take off(you can keep flying up until you run out of air or stop pressing anything and begin to descend) and make sure you have enough air for the descent. 

On 11/10/2018 at 3:03 AM, Garick said:

Yep spent 10 hours taming one, it flew 3 times and fell 10 feet and DIED instantly.. Thanks for this BS wildcard :( PLEASE No fall damage on the GAS BAG - Otherwise Rename this dino GARBAGE BAG cause it'll be trash otherwise.

I'll do you one better.  First one I tamed, i mounted held space down to fly... dropped to the ground and it died within a minute of taming.

Archived