Server caps

lindybellerue

Perhaps someone can help me out here...weekends we have a wonderful 2x to taming, exp etc. This is excellent customer service and perk...EXCEPT it's of no use if the servers are always capped! And I've spent time and effort creating my base, I'm not moving to another server just to have a horde of new tribes invade and cap yet another server. Am I wrong or is it a simple math calculation? Why can't each tribe have only as many dinos as the server can handle at max for all tribes on that server? It seems simple to me, but perhaps I'm missing something...

I can not tell you how frustrating it is to find the tame you've been waiting for only to find after going to all the trouble of tranqing it that the server is capped! I feel very cheated when this happens. I'm tired of killing my tames so I can hopefully tame a new dino, usually someone else gets the benefit. I don't have hundreds and hundreds of dinos...only a handful.  

I'm just asking for someone with good math skills to intervene and fix this! 

• 4 months later...

I like the challenge of official servers! Unofficial servers survive at the whim of the owner. 

As for cryopods, I see bases with hundreds of dinos obviously NOT cryo'd.

Why are people giving me suggestions for ways to allow WC to get away with this? This isn't the game they advertise if you can't tame dinos, it's an integral part of the game. Allowing people to have 500 dinos with the capacity for large populations on servers makes little sense to me, it seems as if WC is more interested in money than customer service and providing a good game. It also encourages the secondary market of selling dinos for RL money.  For me half the fun of ARK is the challenge of taming my own dinos. 

With the current increasing problem of constantly capped servers on Island and Ragnarok maps I no longer recommend this game to my friends, I tell them ; "Don't play ARK , the game isn't what's advertised. Spend your money on a game you can play as promised ."

They have disabled additive mating cool downs on cryos. They have made it so the cool down proceeds while in cryo. You don't have to feed them. It displays stats and gender. It is the answer to server and tribe cap. If you're server is capped yet it is because you play with selfish simpletons. Simple as that.

PC has a 9500 tame limit, consoles have a 5500 limit (processing limitations). There's no reason that people haven't adjusted unless they don't want to and WC can't fix crappy people. 

Wildcard gave the playerbase everything they need to deal with server caps. The kibble rework eliminated the need for sprawling kibble farms and cryopods makes it easier than ever to store and manage large numbers of animals. It's not their fault players are choosing not to use these tools and continue to cap servers. From some of the commentary I've come across, at least a few people aren't using the pods because they want to display their animals for everyone else to see. What's the point of having hundreds of animals if you can't lag/cap your server out showing them off to people who don't care, after all? Anyway. It's not against the ToS for people to be selfish jerks if they want.

It sounds like the server you're on may be one of these servers. I actually haven't seen much about cap issues since Extinction went live, so you may be unlucky and happened to choose one of the few servers where this is still an issue. I would suggest scouting out for a new server that isn't capped and transferring there to play. The nice thing about the official network is if one server doesn't work for you, it's easy to find a new one.

Luckily the official pve servers I play are in a good state regarding to tame cap. There is always some ret rebel but ppl tend to have most of the dinos cryoed.

I think wc did very well with cryopod introduction and later adjustments and there is not much room to improve. If I could suggest them how to improve even more I would do two things:

- Disallow via CoC the creation of "storage tribes", I.e. secondary tribes or tribes only meant to store dinos.
- Increase the food consumption of dinos depending how many dinos of a tribe are spawned on map. I.e. 0-100 dinos normal food consumption, 101-200 x2 food consumption....

30 minutes ago, arkark said:

- Increase the food consumption of dinos depending how many dinos of a tribe are spawned on map. I.e. 0-100 dinos normal food consumption, 101-200 x2 food consumption....

Or even better, make dino HP decrease at a rate proportional to the amount of active feces from your dinos. So at some critical point, if there is too much idle dino poop, they all get sick and some eventually die, until poop equilibrium is restored.

2 minutes ago, Jemcrystal said:

Or you could just cap how many PLAYERS join an official server so no one ever has to suffer a dino cap again.  And you could make cryopods more inviting to use.   Like hand them out whenever a player dies instead of those trash skins.

Cryo's are not hard to get nor expensive. You can do a blue drop on extinction with flak, shield, and a pike.

Most people on servers will make you cryo's for the cost of the mats and whatever they ask for the start-up element cost. You can get the element cost from harvesting a few tek dino's.

Seriously, you may be the most needy and lazy Ark player I have ever encountered. It's a game of survival. Stop asking for handouts and survive like the hundreds of thousands of other people who have/do play this game.

2 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Cryo's are not hard to get nor expensive. You can do a blue drop on extinction with flak, shield, and a pike.

Most people on servers will make you cryo's for the cost of the mats and whatever they ask for the start-up element cost. You can get the element cost from harvesting a few tek dino's.

Seriously, you may be the most needy and lazy Ark player I have ever encountered. It's a game of survival. Stop asking for handouts and survive like the hundreds of thousands of other people who have/do play this game.

Not everyone owns Extinction, so cryopods are locked behind a pay wall.

1 minute ago, Aylana314159 said:

Not everyone owns Extinction, so cryopods are locked behind a pay wall.

Hence asking on server. Seriously. It benefits the person making them as much as you. 

I wasn't a fan of most of the people on my server but I had no problem making them as many cryo fridges and pods as they wanted if they brought me the mats. 

Archived