The devs just killed Ark!

placeeboeffect

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They started to kill it when allowed the dino's download to all servers, I mean, it's really messed up playing on island, for example, and wake up with wyvern's roar. THERE'S NO WYVERNS ON THIS MAP! DILO? I think that you could download and upload of your character, but completelly nude, only with your level and knowledge to any servers. In the case of Dinos you only should download it in servers that they exist, you know? Like: I'm going to another Island server, in this case I can download all my dinos. "Oh, I want go to Island Server from Ragnarok Server to mess up everything with my Wyvern!", in this case you can't. It appears that this players who put wyverns or griffins in servers they don't exist or even come from aberration with those wings just want to do that because they can't play with equal conditions, they strike with a wyvern only because you don't have one and to get it you must to go out the server you play. I really don't want a wyvern or those mystic creatures because they so overpower that it's almost impossible to play againist. What I want to say is: Let the creatures from a kind of server in it's kind of server, let engrams from a kind of server in it's kind of server. The game wasn't make to be fair, but this is a level higher unfairness. 

1 hour ago, Kargoth said:

They started to kill it when allowed the dino's download to all servers, I mean, it's really messed up playing on island, for example, and wake up with wyvern's roar. THERE'S NO WYVERNS ON THIS MAP! DILO? I think that you could download and upload of your character, but completelly nude, only with your level and knowledge to any servers. In the case of Dinos you only should download it in servers that they exist, you know? Like: I'm going to another Island server, in this case I can download all my dinos. "Oh, I want go to Island Server from Ragnarok Server to mess up everything with my Wyvern!", in this case you can't. It appears that this players who put wyverns or griffins in servers they don't exist or even come from aberration with those wings just want to do that because they can't play with equal conditions, they strike with a wyvern only because you don't have one and to get it you must to go out the server you play. I really don't want a wyvern or those mystic creatures because they so overpower that it's almost impossible to play againist. What I want to say is: Let the creatures from a kind of server in it's kind of server, let engrams from a kind of server in it's kind of server. The game wasn't make to be fair, but this is a level higher unfairness. 

Wyverns aren't unfair. In actual PvP they're pretty worthless because most players can run faster then them, and a good rifle turns them into swiss cheese. 

Transfering between servers saved Ark PvP. That isn't an opinion, it's actual fact supported by the data of how people played. 

3 minutes ago, iAmE said:

Wyverns aren't unfair. In actual PvP they're pretty worthless because most players can run faster then them, and a good rifle turns them into swiss cheese. 

Transfering between servers saved Ark PvP. That isn't an opinion, it's actual fact supported by the data of how people played. 

It allowed smaller/medium tribes to bail out from a server dominated by bullies, I agree.

However, it made mega-tribes, alliances and large scale server invasions much easier to organize.

1 minute ago, Darkholis said:

It allowed smaller/medium tribes to bail out from a server dominated by bullies, I agree.

However, it made mega-tribes, alliances and large scale server invasions much easier to organize.

It didn't make them easier to organize. It enabled them entirely. The alternative was for Ark PvP to be utterly and completely dead. Ark PvP either needs regular wipes (Which actively defeat the purpose of most of Ark), or a sandbox big enough for *everyone* to play in. Servers without transfers were demonstrably too small. 

9 minutes ago, iAmE said:

So, using your logic Mechs are not unfair too...

1 minute ago, iAmE said:

It didn't make them easier to organize. It enabled them entirely. The alternative was for Ark PvP to be utterly and completely dead. Ark PvP either needs regular wipes (Which actively defeat the purpose of most of Ark), or a sandbox big enough for *everyone* to play in. Servers without transfers were demonstrably too small. 

On the other hand, full transfers brought a plethora of issues still not entirely fixed as of now, such as duping.

1 minute ago, Kargoth said:

So, using your logic Mechs are not unfair too...

You aren't using my logic then.

Wyverns are a third tier transportation dino with no real application in pvp combat. Meks were overpowered as they could instantly destroy entire buildings from out of render with no counterplay. 

1 minute ago, Darkholis said:

On the other hand, full transfers brought a plethora of issues still not entirely fixed as of now, such as duping.

Certainly, but those issues are only issues because the game is alive, something that wouldn't be so if transfers weren't a thing to begin with. Perhaps it's better off dead then garbage (Like it is now), but I, and many others, would disagree. 

1 minute ago, iAmE said:

Certainly, but those issues are only issues because the game is alive, something that wouldn't be so if transfers weren't a thing to begin with. Perhaps it's better off dead then garbage (Like it is now), but I, and many others, would disagree. 

As I mentionned earlier, the problem prior to transfers was that each server was ruled by a single entity. Finding a proper server to play on was a total gamble and it drove countless small/medium tribes away from officials, when not from the game itself.

The problem I have with the current state of the game is the overall mentality/meta seen on official servers, which why I stopped wasting time on officials after ~3k hours. When a bug or an exploit is discovered, everybody suddenly uses it because if they dont't, they'll fall behind everyone and/or be the victims of those of uses it.

I understand and happily enjoy the survival/adaptation aspect of this game, but you can't overcome shady tactics/exploits such as meshing/duping legitimately in-game. Flooding WC with support tickets is hardly a valid solution.

Regards.

Just now, Darkholis said:

As I mentionned earlier, the problem prior to transfers was that each server was ruled by a single entity. Finding a proper server to play on was a total gamble and it drove countless small/medium tribes away from officials, when not from the game itself.

The problem I have with the current state of the game is the overall mentality/meta seen on official servers, which why I stopped wasting time on officials after ~3k hours. When a bug or an exploit is discovered, everybody suddenly uses it because if they dont't, they'll fall behind everyone and/or be the victims of those of uses it.

I understand and happily enjoy the survival/adaptation aspect of this game, but you can't overcome shady tactics/exploits such as meshing/duping legitimately in-game. Flooding WC with support tickets is hardly a valid solution.

Regards.

You couldn't find a proper server to play on because they didn't exist. Ark PvP is a game of total ecocide. Once an alpha is established, there is nothing you, as an opponent, can do to fight or win. Simple number game.

As for the shady/seedy ark problems. Half of those problems occur because Wildcard is incompetent when it comes to executing even the most *basic* things. They don't test anything. Then, they don't enforce their rules. They still, years later, don't even have the tools necessary to enforce their rules. Their support suffers from a similar issue. While flooding Wildcard isn't a viable solution, Wildcard's support is literally incapable of doing anything meaningful in game. Take character deletion, for instance. A problem plague officials for years. Wildcard says they can't restore characters, but that's completely false. The character exists both sever and client side. They can totally restore it, I can do it on my private server in literally 150 seconds or less, but they outright refuse. 

3 minutes ago, iAmE said:

You couldn't find a proper server to play on because they didn't exist. Ark PvP is a game of total ecocide. Once an alpha is established, there is nothing you, as an opponent, can do to fight or win. Simple number game.

I don't mean to be arrogant in any means, but I'll disagree because such servers existed.

My tribe along with 2 other tribes ruled Official Server 47 until a tribe called "We Are Legion" came in and insided most tribes on the server to finally bring a 20+ man army at our door for a 8+ hours siege. Prior to transfers and after our demise on 47, we went on and removed the alpha tribe on 3-4 differents servers with a 5-6 man crew.

If you are willing to put the time into it, you can wipe them. Simple number game.

5 minutes ago, Darkholis said:

I don't mean to be arrogant in any means, but I'll disagree because such servers existed.

My tribe along with 2 other tribes ruled Official Server 47 until a tribe called "We Are Legion" came in and insided most tribes on the server to finally bring a 20+ man army at our door for a 8+ hours siege. Prior to transfers and after our demise on 47, we went on and removed the alpha tribe on 3-4 differents servers with a 5-6 man crew.

If you are willing to put the time into it, you can wipe them. Simple number game.

In both those cases, the opponent didn't make the decisive move. The alpha tribe threw their advantage. In the first case, you had other tribes they could inside. You chose to lose by allowing them to exist. The 3-4 servers of alpha tribes likely suffered from similar issues.

It was never impossible to overthrow an alpha, but in most cases, you never actually overthrew an alpha in pitched fights and battles. The Alpha grew bored of dominating, laxed off, giving people weeks to months to build up and then challenge them. They didn't want to win, they just wanted something to do. Or they just quit. 

23 minutes ago, iAmE said:

In both those cases, the opponent didn't make the decisive move. The alpha tribe threw their advantage. In the first case, you had other tribes they could inside. You chose to lose by allowing them to exist. The 3-4 servers of alpha tribes likely suffered from similar issues.

Agreed.

Let's simply say that the concept of insiding was not well known in Ark 3 years ago as it is today.
- Did we had the potential to rule with a tighter grip? Sure.
- Should we have done it? That's a topic for proper and interesting debate.

Without going into further details, I'll simply say that I've been bullied during my entire live prior to reaching university. Why? Because I was a shy person, yet topping the charts from an academic point of view. I'm not the one who would bully simply because he could.

I firmly believe that our life experiences and actions define who we are as persons.

23 minutes ago, iAmE said:

It was never impossible to overthrow an alpha, but in most cases, you never actually overthrew an alpha in pitched fights and battles. The Alpha grew bored of dominating, laxed off, giving people weeks to months to build up and then challenge them. They didn't want to win, they just wanted something to do. Or they just quit. 

Agreed.

Most of the time, alphas sucked terribly, thus making such servers easy/less punishing to play on. Hardcore 385 was a hell of a ride though. Took us 3 wipes before finally wiping them for good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, I understand and fully respect your opinion. I think we are just too far away to be on agreement here.

Regards.

On 11/9/2018 at 6:04 PM, lvirusl said:

The devs killed ark a long time ago when they stopped listening to the player base in beta and EA and decided to go towards release of an unfinished game. Then they proceeded to silence any input from their player base by essentially muting all discussion on the subject. If you expected them to improve their customer relations or to actually improve the game in a meaningful way, you have grand delusions. They showed their true colors in EA and the ratings and reviews prove it. 

Devs gave griefers tons of toys to annoy the poop out of other players. This made things possible like catching an enemy, locking him/her handcuffed into a cage, tranqing them to forcefeed them and keeping them incarcerated for weeks or months without any chance for the victim to do something against it. This says there is to say about WC devs ...

22 hours ago, iAmE said:

I'm saying it now again 'cause right now, when I was offline all my dino got killed by a Wyvern. I got lots of plants and appears that isn't enough and the dinos not even stand a chance againist it. If was an attack with ANY Dino from the Island maybe the same was happened, but I'm sure that the attacker would suffer more damage or would be more complicated to do the same. 

14 hours ago, Kargoth said:

I'm saying it now again 'cause right now, when I was offline all my dino got killed by a Wyvern. I got lots of plants and appears that isn't enough and the dinos not even stand a chance againist it. If was an attack with ANY Dino from the Island maybe the same was happened, but I'm sure that the attacker would suffer more damage or would be more complicated to do the same. 

Not even remotely. If a Wyvern could solo your base defenses and dinos, it could have been done with a decent Rex, Allo, Giga and probably even a Carno. Plant X does nothing to anyone with a decent set of flak, and any of the above Carnivores could have just walked in and munched  through a full hundred plants and all your dinos. Or a Paracer/Bronto could have done the exact same.

The only reason you got attacked by a Wyvern is probably because someone was flying by and saw an undefended base (Yes, plants are essentially non-existent as a defense against anything higher then Carnos on their own), and munched your base with the only thing on hand. A wyvern. 

3 hours ago, iAmE said:

If a Wyvern could solo your base defenses and dinos, it could have been done with a decent Rex, Allo, Giga and probably even a Carno.

I think it's maybe 2 bites with a rex. I stumbled on a friend's base and his one plant x started shooting me - I was off my rex, my rex spun around and chomped the plant, only took about 2 bites. I actually felt bad because he only had one plant x. 

24 minutes ago, Olivar said:

Wasn't the flyer nerf going to kill Ark?
Or the wyverns from Scorched Earth?
Or did I miss the killing of Ark when the Gryphons from Ragnarok got released?
Or maybe the game got killed during the elemental access from Aberation?

I personally believe some very simple basic fundamentals learned and built on the island map are way to underrated and could easily be complained about should anybody make use of those mechanics.....

On 11/10/2018 at 12:32 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

The game has been going downhill ever since they turned it from a dinosaur game into some weird sci fi thing. I guess flashly lights and gadgets keeps the teenagers happy and sells games.

I miss those days of ark too. long before the flyer nerf, when ark truly was great.

For a dead game the player population seems to be relatively stable judging by the metrics on steam on players every day. Even with the shennanigans of the PC release thats a nice peak. Maybe theres a better metric to use but this is not a population graph that would nessesarily worry me. Curious to know what the graph will do now that the 'final' DLC is released, will the population tank or will it hold steady, obviously it'll drop after tge initial peak.

Screenshot_20181112-182318.thumb.jpg.c20623c21d065ea675e649eaa93d778d.jpg

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

For a dead game the player population seems to be relatively stable judging by the metrics on steam on players every day. Even with the shennanigans of the PC release thats a nice peak. Maybe theres a better metric to use but this is not a population graph that would nessesarily worry me. Curious to know what the graph will do now that the 'final' DLC is released, will the population tank or will it hold steady, obviously it'll drop after tge initial peak.

Screenshot_20181112-182318.thumb.jpg.c20623c21d065ea675e649eaa93d778d.jpg

Your logic would be sound if they were still in EA. When the game opened up on steam they had 80k avg players according to steam, in last October they had 44k.  Thats almost a 50% drop in players since its first release on steam in EA, and subsequent full release. Granted there was a large jump when they released this latest DLC but every game does. We have yet to see the after effects of that release. Just as before when the game went from EA to full release i predict we will again see the ratings plummet and players leave shortly after the changes begin to sink into the mainstream player base. While the new players don't know any better yet. The new player will stick with it for a bit and then too join those that decided to leave.  Now i don't know how you measure success but if a game has a larger player base in development then it does after release, I would consider that a failure. Wildcard had their chance, but instead they chose mom's spaghetti.  

Archived