console Treatment of console players

drewisawesome32

to the ark community and Wildcard:

I have been playing ark since the second week of early access release on Xbox, with months of playtime into the game, and I have loved playing ark. I loved running around the island trying to survive long enough to build a stone house, and I have loved it all the way up to the grand strategy and MMO game that it has become. but, although the game has been great, some of those at Wildcard haven't treated us the best. I am not even just talking about console players, but I do believe that we have been treated worse. We understand having to push a deadline back because you ran into unexpected issues or that there was some issue with getting things through certain approval processes, but Wildcard has CONTINUOUSLY  pushed release dates back and back and back. With DLC's, generally, after they have pushed it back a few times already, they will release it to PC and tell consoles "well, sorry. you are going to have to wait. We haven't finished it yet". So then console players have to sit there twiddling their thumbs, watching as PC players enjoy the content that the console players have paid the same price for, but have to wait for. This doesn't only happen with DLC's for console though. for every update (to my knowledge) PC gets it ahead of time, and it might be slightly sometimes but we have had to wait for an update for 2 weeks after PC got it. Not only do we get our console updates to come later than the PC updates but our versions have always been the buggiest and glitchiest. This kind of treatment of PC first then consoles is a pretty straightforward message stating that Wildcard values their PC customers more than their console customers. They have the choice to wait to release both until they are both fully completed, but they choose not to. They ELECT to release a BETTER version of updates/DLC to PC while MAKING CONSOLE PLAYERS WAIT for something they have paid the same price for. Never has console got any kind of actual compensation, let alone in game reimbursement. The closest thing that We have gotten to something of the sort is an evolution event, which is normally just making up past ones that we missed due to the delayed release, and this is only compensation for people who play on public servers. it isn't actually a compensation for all console players which makes it feel like it is just something that is supposed to hush or pacify console players. this kind of treatment feels like a frustrated mother just trying to shove a pacifier in her kid's mouth instead of trying to solve the issue or actually care for the child. If things were handled differently like different pricing, simultaneous release, some actual form of repayment, then I wouldn't be writing this.

When I say we in the post I am not referring to my tribe or my server or people who just speak the same language of me, and I am not saying "we" as an assumption of how other people feel. With all this time between PC releases and console release, WE have had a lot of time to sit and wait, and to talk. So we all talk, and we talk about what I just wrote about. I have had these conversations with people about these problems since before the first DLC. I have been on french "the center" servers where my tribe spoke mostly English but some of us could talk French and some of them could talk English. I have been on scorched earth servers with Mega tribes, Islands with solos, Ragnaroks with something I would refer to a coalition of Mega tribes. A small number of people I talked to said something along the lines of "well they are just trying to make sure they get it right" and this is them trying to be understanding, but when I or others asked them if they thought that Console is treated worse they would answer with a disheartened "yes". We want to be understanding of wildcard and we hate to see this inequality, but it is there and we are distraught by it. 

Sincerely, DDog

You forget the Great Turkey Massacre of 2016. Xbox got it first and it was a disaster. we lost everything that was outside. Tons of rexes and spinos, brontos, allos, so many dinos while we were off line. Til this day I cringe when I hear a turkey. Gave me nightmares.

I do wish they would have released them at the same time... instead of exploring the game my tribe is watching PC players so they can know everything we need to do. Seems like it will be less fun that way.

3 hours ago, drewisawesome32 said:

to the ark community and Wildcard:

I have been playing ark since the second week of early access release on Xbox, with months of playtime into the game, and I have loved playing ark. I loved running around the island trying to survive long enough to build a stone house, and I have loved it all the way up to the grand strategy and MMO game that it has become. but, although the game has been great, some of those at Wildcard haven't treated us the best. I am not even just talking about console players, but I do believe that we have been treated worse. We understand having to push a deadline back because you ran into unexpected issues or that there was some issue with getting things through certain approval processes, but Wildcard has CONTINUOUSLY  pushed release dates back and back and back. With DLC's, generally, after they have pushed it back a few times already, they will release it to PC and tell consoles "well, sorry. you are going to have to wait. We haven't finished it yet". So then console players have to sit there twiddling their thumbs, watching as PC players enjoy the content that the console players have paid the same price for, but have to wait for. This doesn't only happen with DLC's for console though. for every update (to my knowledge) PC gets it ahead of time, and it might be slightly sometimes but we have had to wait for an update for 2 weeks after PC got it. Not only do we get our console updates to come later than the PC updates but our versions have always been the buggiest and glitchiest. This kind of treatment of PC first then consoles is a pretty straightforward message stating that Wildcard values their PC customers more than their console customers. They have the choice to wait to release both until they are both fully completed, but they choose not to. They ELECT to release a BETTER version of updates/DLC to PC while MAKING CONSOLE PLAYERS WAIT for something they have paid the same price for. Never has console got any kind of actual compensation, let alone in game reimbursement. The closest thing that We have gotten to something of the sort is an evolution event, which is normally just making up past ones that we missed due to the delayed release, and this is only compensation for people who play on public servers. it isn't actually a compensation for all console players which makes it feel like it is just something that is supposed to hush or pacify console players. this kind of treatment feels like a frustrated mother just trying to shove a pacifier in her kid's mouth instead of trying to solve the issue or actually care for the child. If things were handled differently like different pricing, simultaneous release, some actual form of repayment, then I wouldn't be writing this.

When I say we in the post I am not referring to my tribe or my server or people who just speak the same language of me, and I am not saying "we" as an assumption of how other people feel. With all this time between PC releases and console release, WE have had a lot of time to sit and wait, and to talk. So we all talk, and we talk about what I just wrote about. I have had these conversations with people about these problems since before the first DLC. I have been on french "the center" servers where my tribe spoke mostly English but some of us could talk French and some of them could talk English. I have been on scorched earth servers with Mega tribes, Islands with solos, Ragnaroks with something I would refer to a coalition of Mega tribes. A small number of people I talked to said something along the lines of "well they are just trying to make sure they get it right" and this is them trying to be understanding, but when I or others asked them if they thought that Console is treated worse they would answer with a disheartened "yes". We want to be understanding of wildcard and we hate to see this inequality, but it is there and we are distraught by it. 

Sincerely, DDog

Its so true 

40 minutes ago, Sypharaffe said:

As I read the post again I have a challenge for you the OP and who agree with him. Make a simple arcade game of any single type and see if you get it through steam or Microsoft first.

It would make sense to delay the PC version for a multiplatform release but that would be unfair on PC players because Wildcard care more about them than their console playerbase. Nothing to do with certification, the devs only pander to PC players.

3 hours ago, Sypharaffe said:

It's easier to push updates on PC. For consoles you have to go through Sony and Microsoft. If it's that big a deal that you get stuff as soon as possible no matter what then go get a PC. Maybe if they had taken longer on the game meshing would be a thing.

They said they ran into issues with the way it looked and ran on consoles. This wasn't a Sony and Microsoft thing. 

28 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

It would make sense to delay the PC version for a multiplatform release but that would be unfair on PC players because Wildcard care more about them than their console playerbase. Nothing to do with certification, the devs only pander to PC players.

Why delay though? The sooner it's player tested, the sooner they can spot critical problems to fix.

Benefits console players and PC gets to play first. 

Then they have to think about the limitations on console, the basic version have 8Gb of RAM only while this is the lowest for PC players. Having this in consideration, they have to streamline a lot, making it more prone to bugs. If all consoles had 32Gb RAM and VRAM.... But now, even xbox one X only have 12 Gb RAM... making it pretty sad compared to what a PC can do. 

However it's pretty cheap, like 2-300 a console, so, well, you can't have something cheap and of quality in this market...

Communism pl0x. 

4 hours ago, JackONeill said:

You forget the Great Turkey Massacre of 2016. Xbox got it first and it was a disaster. we lost everything that was outside. Tons of rexes and spinos, brontos, allos, so many dinos while we were off line. Til this day I cringe when I hear a turkey. Gave me nightmares.

I do wish they would have released them at the same time... instead of exploring the game my tribe is watching PC players so they can know everything we need to do. Seems like it will be less fun that way.

To tack onto this, firstly, I understand your frustration of having to wait. I was with Xbox EA from day one. But I’m almost exclusively PC now specifically because of calamities like the referenced Turkeypocalypse.

In a way, PC is just another round of testing before something gets released to console, and there are real advantages to that for console.

For instance, there is currently an *enormous* Extinction bug wherein - from what I can gather - Extinction inexplicably doesn’t have its own dedicated save directory, so single player and non-dedicated servers have lost all progress on their Island games when Extinction overwrote the files.

On PC, I have the option of restoring from a backup. For console? Real, irreversible consequences that would amount to thousands of hours lost.

Or take the simultaneous launch of Scorched Earth, which was an unparalleled catastrophe for Xbox players. I can’t tell you exactly how they managed it, but they unleashed a bug where simply attempting to launch your games on The Island or The Center completely wiped everything. I got very lucky and wasn’t affected. Many others were not.

Irreversible consequences.

It was after that I bought a PC for Ark, and a year and a half later still my very favorite thing is the ability to save my game.

I understand your frustration, truly. But I also trust WildCard is using this time and the bug reports being sent in to ensure a smoother launch for console with minimal major catastrophe.

Hang tight; it will be worth it. ?

5 hours ago, Sypharaffe said:

It's easier to push updates on PC. For consoles you have to go through Sony and Microsoft. If it's that big a deal that you get stuff as soon as possible no matter what then go get a PC. Maybe if they had taken longer on the game meshing would be a thing.

It is easier to push updates for pc. That's why I understand when during early access they would push the updates through pc first. If the update broke something, they could patch it prior to porting to console. Now that it is a full release game, dlc should be released at the same time. Especially considering this dlc was delayed from it's original date of spring 2018. This delay is ridiculous for the fact that they announced the date of release months ago and still couldn't meet it. It's not like console suddenly has less memory than pc. They have known that all along. Memory optimizations should have been accounted for with their initial release date. 

4 hours ago, Sypharaffe said:

As I read the post again I have a challenge for you the OP and who agree with him. Make a simple arcade game of any single type and see if you get it through steam or Microsoft first.

While I understand your statement.  It really does not matter.  WC chose to sell it's product to all parties. Love the game, but this is just poor delivery on WC's part. Hell I've so much to do it doesn't matter.   

Th only real bummer for me is playing on PC/Xbox cross is that the whole damn thing will be pillerd to death by the time I can get there....

17 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Just be glad wyverns and rockdrakes still lay fertilized eggs on the other maps. Extinction broke this.

Seems like the Corruption may have made them sterile ;)

I am sorry to hear about that though. I think we all hope that WC gets things fixed ASAP... for everyone

17 hours ago, KrackenOne said:

While I understand your statement.  It really does not matter.  WC chose to sell it's product to all parties. Love the game, but this is just poor delivery on WC's part. Hell I've so much to do it doesn't matter.   

Th only real bummer for me is playing on PC/Xbox cross is that the whole damn thing will be pillerd to death by the time I can get there....

PC Steam is what they are talking about. PC Windows 10 is the same as Xbox so you will be fine.

I’m thinking it might be an issue with the titans for console, I downloaded ark while it’s free on my pc which is a gaming desktop (I play on Xbox where my friends are and I hate keyboard and mouse controls) Even summoning two titans seemed to start lagging a decent amount so I’m thinking they’re trying to find a way to keep them from crashing consoles. 

I still find it dumb that they pushed release though, they probably didn’t do any testing on console which led to them realizing it was unplayable days before release.

7 hours ago, KrakenOverlord said:

What is the turkeypocalypse?

You werent around for the thanksgiving event a few years ago ? Part of it was turkey spawns but these were no ordinary turkeys. These thing were absolute beasts, killing everything that moved, chasing people across the map, even killing peoples gigas, people were scared just to leave their base perimeter.   You spotted a turkry and ran as fast as you could in the opposite direction. It was glorious lol Although apparantly they were easy enough to kill with a fire arm such as a shotgun.

Archived