Taxidermy - A Pointless Roleplayer Feature?

ForzaProiettile

What exactly is the point of these new building types. These new taxidermy structures serve no valid point or have any valid gameplay use. Who wants pointless dino statues taking up valuable real estate in their base? This is nothing more then a pointless role-player/PVE feature that adds nothing to gameplay.

If you are going to add such a pointless thing then at least make them slightly useful. I would suggest letting us shove our dino of choice on there and then being able to experiment on it to improve its stats marginally.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

These new taxidermy structures serve no valid point or have any valid gameplay use. Who wants pointless dino statues taking up valuable real estate in their base? This is nothing more then a pointless role-player/PVE feature that adds nothing to gameplay.

So selfish thinking. There is more player's style of play than just practical, economic, space and material efficient one. For example i have my daughter playing and im sure this decorations will be as much impotrant for her as crafting mek for me.

21 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

They've also added the Cryo Fridge thing which is has no use either in PVP. Where is the PVP content?

The map for starters. The orbital supply drop for seconds while more of a PvE thing is certainly going to prove an interesting variable in PvP with fights happening over that I would think. The cryo fridge could be used to keep large dinos hidden or used to store back up dinos in case a quick evacuation of a base is needed. The creatures themselves must add something in PvP. The mek titan things surely will add an element to PvP. I am not even trying here.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

They've also added the Cryo Fridge thing which is has no use either in PVP. Where is the PVP content?

Huh? Have you seen the new dinos? The Titans? The mechs? Even the map, which promotes contest for the prime pieces of land located in the city and "safe" biomes. Cryopods could be used for so many things in PvP. Imagine just having a pocket Rex wherever you go, or Arthros you can get inside the enemies base with and destroy it from inside out. There are so many things you are overlooking in this expansion.

Taxidermy is a PVE based addition, yes. It’s to add decor or if you have a dino with colors you really like die, just bop it with a taxidermy tool and stick it on a plinth. 

Cryopods however have enormous PVP use. You can carry dinos around in them much more easily, and if you managed to get inside an enemy base you can just unleash a few dinos to murder all theirs. It’s a great way to store dinos for boss runs more efficiently, because all you need to do is carry them to the warp pad and pop them out.

The Titans are clearly PVP based. When asked what they do for PVE, Wildcard said they’re great for clearing space and meat runs. I tested and the Ice Titan doesn’t even gather meat! They’re immensely powerful tanks that can break anything (not sure about TEK) and have huge platform saddles so you could probably use them as a mobile war base. The Desert Titan even has multiple anti-aircraft features. It has a tail slap where it smacks it’s back (presumably to remove any enemies on there) and it can release swarms of birds that you can command to target a particular foe.

MEKS are the anti-Titan feature, and they have various addons they can use, including a deplyabke tek shield, rocket launchers, etc. Plus, who doesn’t want to destroy their enemies with a giant mech?

On 11/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, AngrySaltire said:

The map for starters. The orbital supply drop for seconds while more of a PvE thing is certainly going to prove an interesting variable in PvP with fights happening over that I would think. The cryo fridge could be used to keep large dinos hidden or used to store back up dinos in case a quick evacuation of a base is needed. The creatures themselves must add something in PvP. The mek titan things surely will add an element to PvP. I am not even trying here.

Spot on there ?

• 4 months later...

Calling taxidermy useless is same as calling coloring/dyes & designing bases useless. I spend  a lot of  time on my design of bases & other aesthetic aspects & having the ability to make a museum, first of artifacts, then trophies and finally creatures is the best thing Ark devs have done. Same with colors. Maybe, some players just play for the toxic PVP or the boss fights, but there are others(the majority) like me who love to explore their creativity, make their bases beautiful with decorations, colors & memoirs.

If you want to know my designs, here's two videos on my Island & SE bases I've created/designed on my Singleplayer LEGIT. Yeah, no cheats or spawning stuff in. I grind for days to see my beautiful homestead being built. Its beautiful & functional at the same time. 

My biggest base is currently a work-in-progress in Extinction & will house a full 200 creature taxidermied museum & I will be proud to display it. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2018 at 2:32 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

What exactly is the point of these new building types. These new taxidermy structures serve no valid point or have any valid gameplay use. Who wants pointless dino statues taking up valuable real estate in their base? This is nothing more then a pointless role-player/PVE feature that adds nothing to gameplay.

If you are going to add such a pointless thing then at least make them slightly useful. I would suggest letting us shove our dino of choice on there and then being able to experiment on it to improve its stats marginally.

Yes, it's totally pointless. But it's also fun, esp. when you can do tribemates and enemies. So it gets a pass from me :D

Edit: also, if the perfect PvP game is a decorationless competition of maximum efficiency and minimum wasted time, the 1980s are calling, they want you to get a friend and try this game called Pong. 

On 11/8/2018 at 9:00 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

99% of everything they've added/removed from the game whether good or bad has been due to PVP.

*waaaaaaaa* Griffins too OP!!!!    /Wildcard ruins them with a massive nerf

*waaaaaaaa* Gigas too OP!!!! /wildcard completely castrates them.

*waaaaaa* Manas too OP!!! /ruined again

Not to mention features like fishing which at one time created a sense of community where dozens of tribes built fishing boats and we'd all hang out on the central river fishing while talking with other players. /Nope! Can't have that! NERF TO USELESSNESS!!!

On 11/8/2018 at 12:32 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

As much as I agree with the general "decorations don't need to be useful" sentiment, I am genuinely interested in the suggestion that the bases could allow experimentation and stat-improvement.  That's a neat idea, how do you imagine it could work out of curiosity?

On 11/7/2018 at 11:32 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

If you are going to add such a pointless thing then at least make them slightly useful. I would suggest letting us shove our dino of choice on there and then being able to experiment on it to improve its stats 

Plenty of pvpers like and use this sort of content. We do not all play and think a like. 

Archived