(SPOILERS) Extinction Ending Cutscene

MayonnaisePlease

If you've gotten this far and haven't seen the cutscene or don't want it spoiled, I wouldn't keep reading on.

ANYWAYS.

So we went and defeated the king titan. Saved Earth, the ARK project worked out. The ARKS fell back down to Earth to restore it and to eliminate any remaining element. Helena, being there, had no clue about aberration? That's what we see in the end, aberration has landed and is a huge doomsday scenario for earth, containing such an immense concentration of element.

This was Helena's plan, she knew the ARKs would return home. Did she have no knowledge of aberration, being a corrupted ARK? Was she not there? I hadn't read up completely on the explorer notes but I figured she would know of that immense risk before letting the ARKs return back to Earth. 

Any ideas? I'm at a loss

Interesting. Earth wouldn't come back to its former glory anyway, because there is no day and night cycle in Exctinction dlc. That means Earth is tidaly locked towards sun, which would take ridiculous amount of time to happen that one can argue the sun would be red giant at that point, which would consume Earth. The lack of moon wouldn't matter much, because tidal locking process still takes a loooong time (a few billion years, tidal locking to the moon would take ca. 7.6 billion years keeping in mind the moon has bigger influence on Earth than sun in this case) Anyway, the life on tidaly locked planet could only exsists at the border of permament day and night. 

2 hours ago, AnimaSolis said:

Lmao @Lewiatan someone on Ark's story team should have known their astrophysics. That's pretty story-breaking. 

It's a big plot hole they chose to ignore. If something cannot be explained logically, put magic or scifi mumbo-jumbo into the mix. WC did add scifi mumbo-jumbo in the last cutscene where Earth starts to rotate out of blue and plants starts to grow out from dust. 

16 hours ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

If you've gotten this far and haven't seen the cutscene or don't want it spoiled, I wouldn't keep reading on.

ANYWAYS.

So we went and defeated the king titan. Saved Earth, the ARK project worked out. The ARKS fell back down to Earth to restore it and to eliminate any remaining element. Helena, being there, had no clue about aberration? That's what we see in the end, aberration has landed and is a huge doomsday scenario for earth, containing such an immense concentration of element.

This was Helena's plan, she knew the ARKs would return home. Did she have no knowledge of aberration, being a corrupted ARK? Was she not there? I hadn't read up completely on the explorer notes but I figured she would know of that immense risk before letting the ARKs return back to Earth. 

Any ideas? I'm at a loss

I think it's a setup for either next game or DLC. If Aberration is on Earth, it means Rockwell is back on Earth, and he'll have a bone to pick with us. I do find it worth mentioning that he likely wasn't purified by the pulse, and thus will likely corrupt more element if Aberration wasn't already cleansed. I do hope Rockwell gets one last hurrah as a villain of sorts.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:29 AM, Lewiatan said:

Interesting. Earth wouldn't come back to its former glory anyway, because there is no day and night cycle in Exctinction dlc. That means Earth is tidaly locked towards sun, which would take ridiculous amount of time to happen that one can argue the sun would be red giant at that point, which would consume Earth. The lack of moon wouldn't matter much, because tidal locking process still takes a loooong time (a few billion years, tidal locking to the moon would take ca. 7.6 billion years keeping in mind the moon has bigger influence on Earth than sun in this case) Anyway, the life on tidaly locked planet could only exsists at the border of permament day and night. 

The different bioms have different cycles snow biom being one with day night cycle

On 11/8/2018 at 12:21 AM, PuffyPony said:

She was present on Aberration. At a guess, she probably thought the Aberration wouldn't land--that, or she figured that the other ARKs would cleanse it with their purifying pulse.

Honestly it's probably an oversight on the dev's part, but one that can be explained

it wasnt a oversight, theres a short clip afterwords that the purple obi is on earth and lights back up,

look at the 2:30 minute mark

25 minutes ago, Wiz10011 said:

it wasnt a oversight, theres a short clip afterwords that the purple obi is on earth and lights back up,

look at the 2:30 minute mark

I think you misunderstood me. OP is asking if Helena wasn't on the Aberration/didn't know that it would land with everything else. My response was that her comments on the ARKs reseeding everything was probably an oversight on the dev's part, but one that can be explained in-lore as her not thinking that the Aberration would land.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 12:07 PM, Lewiatan said:

It's a big plot hole they chose to ignore. If something cannot be explained logically, put magic or scifi mumbo-jumbo into the mix. WC did add scifi mumbo-jumbo in the last cutscene where Earth starts to rotate out of blue and plants starts to grow out from dust. 

I don't think it is a plot hole the ARKs were probably holding they Earth in place so they could land in the proper locations they were meant to land at.

2 hours ago, AceDAVE3000 said:

I don't think it is a plot hole the ARKs were probably holding they Earth in place so they could land in the proper locations they were meant to land at.

It's a huge plot hole, sadly.  Actually one of many.

1) The ARKS use element to function, so really they're part of the problem.

2) Aberration is a festering cesspool of element.

3) In a society so advanced they can force-evolve humans into light beings, you can't convince me that they'd need to tidally lock a planet in order to land their ark cargos.  I mean, we can land space shuttles with our technology without freezing the planet in place.  The tidally locked part is so incredibly jarring, it makes me sad.  They could have come up with all sorts of scientific mumblejumble -- the element making an artificial sun, blah blah blah, but a tidally locked planet would bake on one side and freeze on the other from lack of heat distribution.  It's really silly. :(

On 11/9/2018 at 10:55 AM, PuffyPony said:

I think you misunderstood me. OP is asking if Helena wasn't on the Aberration/didn't know that it would land with everything else. My response was that her comments on the ARKs reseeding everything was probably an oversight on the dev's part, but one that can be explained in-lore as her not thinking that the Aberration would land.

From the journals of The One Who Waits, you know that Helena does not have direct control over the Arks landing.  The best she can do is resurrect players and record some of her thoughts.  If the vast majority of Arks are free from rampant corruption, then, it makes sense that logically, she probably thinks that they could, together, purge the corruption from one corrupted Ark.  

21 hours ago, Caerbannog said:

It's a huge plot hole, sadly.  Actually one of many.

1) The ARKS use element to function, so really they're part of the problem.

2) Aberration is a festering cesspool of element.

3) In a society so advanced they can force-evolve humans into light beings, you can't convince me that they'd need to tidally lock a planet in order to land their ark cargos.  I mean, we can land space shuttles with our technology without freezing the planet in place.  The tidally locked part is so incredibly jarring, it makes me sad.  They could have come up with all sorts of scientific mumblejumble -- the element making an artificial sun, blah blah blah, but a tidally locked planet would bake on one side and freeze on the other from lack of heat distribution.  It's really silly. :(

1)  If you read the journals of The One Who Waits, then you know that the Arks don't use element to function; they use the energy from Homo Deus as power.

2)  Helena doesn't have direct control of the System.  She can't directly control the Arks or when/if they land.

3)  Helena actually explains it -- they're trying to fix earth due to psychological reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Earth is NOT tidally locked.  You guys are literally missing the last line Helena says before she disappears -- "Oh, look, the sun is rising."  If the Earth is tidally locked, the sun cannot be rising.  The only information about Earth potentially being tidally locked is from the earlier survivors, and their information is hilariously unsubstantiated and inaccurate.  I think it might be Santiago, or maybe Helena pre-ascension, but they mention all kinds of other issues with being tidally locked, such as issues with the atmosphere, etc.  But they can't explain why those other issues don't exist.  So the Earth is not tidally locked.  We just don't have an explanation why there isn't the night cycle we're used to on Earth.

9 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

From the journals of The One Who Waits, you know that Helena does not have direct control over the Arks landing.  The best she can do is resurrect players and record some of her thoughts.  If the vast majority of Arks are free from rampant corruption, then, it makes sense that logically, she probably thinks that they could, together, purge the corruption from one corrupted Ark.  

1)  If you read the journals of The One Who Waits, then you know that the Arks don't use element to function; they use the energy from Homo Deus as power.

2)  Helena doesn't have direct control of the System.  She can't directly control the Arks or when/if they land.

3)  Helena actually explains it -- they're trying to fix earth due to psychological reasons.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Earth is NOT tidally locked.  You guys are literally missing the last line Helena says before she disappears -- "Oh, look, the sun is rising."  If the Earth is tidally locked, the sun cannot be rising.  The only information about Earth potentially being tidally locked is from the earlier survivors, and their information is hilariously unsubstantiated and inaccurate.  I think it might be Santiago, or maybe Helena pre-ascension, but they mention all kinds of other issues with being tidally locked, such as issues with the atmosphere, etc.  But they can't explain why those other issues don't exist.  So the Earth is not tidally locked.  We just don't have an explanation why there isn't the night cycle we're used to on Earth.

Perhaps the reason why the rotation of the earth froze in the first place was because of the element corruption, henceforth with the Earth being cured via the Arks, that corruption has been removed and the Earth is rotating correctly.

44 minutes ago, Scrysis said:

Earth is NOT tidally locked.  You guys are literally missing the last line Helena says before she disappears -- "Oh, look, the sun is rising."  If the Earth is tidally locked, the sun cannot be rising.

She states that the sun is rising AFTER the Arks land. So its implied that the event caused the world to resume rotating.

41 minutes ago, Leonhardt said:

She states that the sun is rising AFTER the Arks land. So its implied that the event caused the world to resume rotating.

Look at the other thing I mentioned.  One of the survivors mentions how none of the other issues that would be associated with being Tidally locked are not present.

1 minute ago, Scrysis said:

Look at the other thing I mentioned.  One of the survivors mentions how none of the other issues that would be associated with being Tidally locked are not present.

Then why the heck is there no day/night cycle in the wasteland?

I wanna hang around Sanctuary at night and enjoy the dank lighting.

The only possible explanation why the sun is not rising or doesn't change its position in the sky is Earth being tildally locked to the sun. That's only case something like that can happen in real life. Maybe I expect to much from a game to check facts. 

If proto ARKs have day and night cycle, I assume it's part of ARKs' environment simulation. 

• 2 months later...

People argue that Earth is screwed because of tidal locking, and that Earth cannot continue rotating due to the shattered moon 

but if you look closely, most of the moon remains intact. The mass of the moon does not change, only its distribution. Sure, there are slight changes in how gravity attracts the Earth, but overall the Earth should start rotating no matter what

• 2 weeks later...

Archived