what the actual ... ?!

Monkey1

so instead of rolling out such a huge moronic update in small increments, they wait until people are in their normal schedule, taming animals, breeding etc.. and mid - day, shut down the servers for 15 mins, and force a client restart, which results in a friggin amazing 20 GIG DOWNLOAD.. 
really, DILO. this is trash. if you're gonna do crap like this, put a popup warning when people LOG ON TO THE SERVER  "oh hey by the way, we're shutting down between x and x times, dont start anything that will run into those time frames else you're fooked. this company has got a lot to learn about timing. 

13 minutes ago, Sphere said:

I have seen other game companies do the gradual rollout of an expansion. It is a very good strategy.

That would have been much better imo.

Our personal internet speeds, as well as our Steam settings for updates, do not seem to matter when it comes to ark updates.

Mine took about an hour an a half, with updates disabled, it has always started it's updates without my consent. I have 189 MBps internet speeds, but the download wasn't nearly that fast.

My friend was late on an already-late imprint when the update started. The update probably raptored any chance she had at getting 100%.

Also, if you could please provide a more accurate title for your issue, instead of something generic that implies a vulgar word, that would be awesome!!

P.S. I was going to upload an image of my earlier download status, but imgur is being unresponsive right now.

plan ahead maybe? a huge ass patch for a new map and u thought it would be small? quick? and without hicups? in times like now IF thats what u really thought then you are naive and havent been online long ... seriously ... even the mighty WoW has similar problems at an EXP launch .. wildcard are no different

I don't care for the expansion, so i didn't even know a patch was coming.

6 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Wait... mega patch day arrives and people continue to play as normal expecting no disruption what so ever ? Wow just woooow. Its not as if we hadnt know about this patch day for months. Surely the plan is that you basically do nothing on patch day.

There's no excuse for this in 2018. This was deployed like WC is a bunch of amateurs who have never run a game before.

All smart game companies distribute the content before patch day, so that when patch day arrives they don't create huge problems like this. Your attempt to defend WC is misguide, they have caused huge problems by rolling out this xpac poorly.

19 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

There's no excuse for this in 2018. This was deployed like WC is a bunch of amateurs who have never run a game before.

All smart game companies distribute the content before patch day, so that when patch day arrives they don't create huge problems like this. Your attempt to defend WC is misguide, they have caused huge problems by rolling out this xpac poorly.

I was not defending WC, not nessesarily. Heck I dont really know the ins and outs of how other games do these, I'll let others decide whats the right way because I dont know.

However this is not new, WC always drop updates like this, it was hardly a surprise. The fact OP was apparantly surprised by a large update randomly dropped interrupting peoples 'normal schedule' was just silly. It was patch day, a DLC patch day at that, the date was known, people should have known and planned accordingly. Surley we could all live with a one day interruption to our play.

10 hours ago, BIGJ75 said:

Agreed, this "patch" is an insane size. I'll wager all dinos being raised overnight are now dead. 

I love Ark but patches of this size need to stop. An hour to download and 40m to apply the patch on an SSD as well!

Ummmm... where I live my peak download speed is a whopping 523kb/s. You think an hour and 40mins is bad. It took me 16 hours to install 28gigs... Feels real bad man.

8 minutes ago, TINYMAN said:

Ummmm... where I live my peak download speed is a whopping 523kb/s. You think an hour and 40mins is bad. It took me 16 hours to install 28gigs... Feels real bad man.

Ouch. :(I am dreading next tuesday when it drops on xbox. I am predicting at least 12 hours for my download....

22 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

I was not defending WC, not nessesarily.

Yeah, you were, even though you apparently don't realize it. When you make fun of people for complaining about the bad rollout, you're blaming them for being unsatisfied with WC, even though the problems are caused by WC not doing their job properly.

Heck I dont really know the ins and outs of how other games do these, I'll let others decide whats the right way because I dont know.

Well then let me tell you. The proper way to roll out an expansion pack, or any big change, is to push out the files in stages so that they are all distributed before the patch goes live. And then on patch day the only thing that needs to happen is that the new servers come online. The fact that hundreds of thousands of people are installing a minimum of 18GB per person is absurd. WC has made over five-hundred millions dollars on this game ( $500,000,000 ) and yet they still fail to deploy DLC like a professional game company.

However this is not new, WC always drop updates like this, it was hardly a surprise.

That's not an excuse, in fact it's the opposite of an excuse. The fact that it's "not new" is exactly why people should be complaining loud and long, because WC has had more than enough time to learn how to do this like a professional company and yet they still are acting like a bunch of amateurs. There's no excuse for that.

The fact OP was apparantly surprised by a large update randomly dropped interrupting peoples 'normal schedule' was just silly.

No, it's not silly, it's exactly what people should be complaining about. The only reason WC gets away with this is that they're publishing a game, and their customers don't have the power to punish them for their failures. If they were publishing software for a commercial customer they would be paying penalties (meaning real money) to their customers for their failure to deliver properly. Other game companies are capable of delivering DLC and expansions without "interrupting peoples 'normal schedule'", there's no excuse for WC's failure to do so.

It was patch day, a DLC patch day

This is not 1998, it's 2018, "patch day" is not an excuse.

Surley we could all live with a one day interruption to our play.

If an interruption was the only problem then people wouldn't be complaining so much.

* This patch also screwed up every unofficial server that is running on Linux (and there are a lot of them), which means that hundreds of thousands of people who are not even trying to play Extinction cannot log on to their servers playing other maps.

* Many people experienced BSOD's on their computers, caused by the patch. With many of them having to uninstall and reinstall from scratch. That is not merely an "interruption to our play", it is stealing time from people who could be doing other things, but instead they are trying to solve problems on their computers that were caused by WildCard. That goes way beyond an "interruption to our play".

2 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Hahah true. Now I wonder if I bought the seasons pass.. i did have the fancy ravager saddle, thats indicator of seasons pass no? 

Not sure about the fancy ravager saddle might have just been a dlc thing. Did you have the reaper and bulbdog helmet skin ? That was deffinatly a season pass bonus. Could just check the xbox store no ? 

21 minutes ago, Vaiks said:

STO (Star Trek Online) begin the patch download ahead of time. The game client also asks if you want to pré-download the patch when you logoff. When the release day arrives the new content is just activated or if there are last minute fixes, the downloads are pretty small.

That's how you do it.

in an ideal world that would be awesome .. heck WoW does this too .. but thats for BIG companies wildcard might have been tweaking right to the end so couldnt / cant get it out like so hence the map been released as it was said to be ... and people NOT expecting delays and problems realllly are naive this is the age of computers where one number out of millions of lines of code can crash anything ..... one main problem i have MORE than the game having all these problems that i have heard about so far is the sheer LACK of servers to actually play on EIGHT servers for the EU ... 560 players in the entire EU playing on a brand new DLC /golfclap wildcard .. thats a real sausage move .. by the time anyone else can get on them they will be pillared and camped to crap let alone capped ... :( 

12 minutes ago, Duffmek said:

in an ideal world that would be awesome .. heck WoW does this too .. but thats for BIG companies wildcard might have been tweaking right to the end so couldnt / cant get it out like so hence the map been released as it was said to be ... and people NOT expecting delays and problems realllly are naive this is the age of computers where one number out of millions of lines of code can crash anything ..... one main problem i have MORE than the game having all these problems that i have heard about so far is the sheer LACK of servers to actually play on EIGHT servers for the EU ... 560 players in the entire EU playing on a brand new DLC /golfclap wildcard .. thats a real sausage move .. by the time anyone else can get on them they will be pillared and camped to crap let alone capped ... :( 

No, not an "ideal" world, that's how it works when a game company is doing their job properly, right here, in the real world. Anything less is just making excuses for doing things badly.

WC has made at least $500,000,000 dollars, that half a Billion. They are not a small mom & pop shop running on shoestring budget working out of their living room. This is a major AAA title, and there are no excuses for rolling out an expansion like a couple of drunk college kids.

Just now, Pipinghot said:

No, not an "ideal" world, that's how it works when a game company is doing their job properly, right here, in the real world. Anything less is just making excuses for doing things badly.

WC has made at least $500,000,000 dollars, that half a Billion. They are not a small mom & pop shop running on shoestring budget working out of their living room. This is a major AAA title, and there are no excuses for rolling out an expansion like a couple of drunk college kids.

lol stop trolling ... show me some drunk college kids that can make this and maintain and run this many servers .... i can wait .... 

Archived